Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

ded posted:

Chinese farmers have jammers set up on their farms to stop gangs from sending drones with pig flu onto the farms.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/12/23/chinese-pig-farm-attempts-block-criminal-drones-signal-jammer/

omfg get this nasty civi out of here OUR CLUB HOUSE!!!

edit : LOL bye fyad

but my carefully curated twitter follows.
https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/1214304224370143233?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm a civvie reader and I like the distillation of content that shows up here and the pretty rapid calling of bullshit on the more annoying faux outrage type news bits that pop up.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ded posted:

omfg get this nasty civi out of here OUR CLUB HOUSE!!!

edit : LOL bye fyad

Its OK, all civies will become active duty soon anyways

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm kinda surprised by the civilian populace we draw here. I know a good chunk of goons see us as generally gun happy assholes or wannabe cops (cops wish they were mil, taking all our hand-me-downs) or kowtowing some right wing line in their heads, but that's quite oppositely displayed here on a daily basis. I'm proud of this little mil subforum, lots of smart and thoughtful folk, even if it is hidden behind a few more shades of gray. Thanks civvie readers and posters, for not judging us so quickly and tossing us in with right wing assholes subconsciously.

I for one read this thread a lot because you guys are normally a lot more targeted in your news and indeed your analysis than a lot of folks. The signal to noise is a lot lower here, and the focus on geopolitical and national security matters is of both professional and personal interest, and frankly I share the general sense of cynicism: it feels more like merely being more willing to accurately call poo poo poo poo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

You know it just occurred to me that Cheney holing up in his goon cave watching Patton to psych himself up is actually less insane than trump yelling at fox news :stare:

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

That Works posted:

I'm a civvie reader and I like the distillation of content that shows up here and the pretty rapid calling of bullshit on the more annoying faux outrage type news bits that pop up.

Have you been to the cop thread yet?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Kesper North posted:

I for one read this thread a lot because you guys are normally a lot more targeted in your news and indeed your analysis than a lot of folks. The signal to noise is a lot lower here, and the focus on geopolitical and national security matters is of both professional and personal interest, and frankly I share the general sense of cynicism: it feels more like merely being more willing to accurately call poo poo poo poo.
:same:

And you all are the only people I've found who are as bitter about the world as I am.

Also, GiP is unique on the internet in doing things like recommending a little time off to cool down when things get heated, and to have posters come back and admit they were assholes sometimes instead of just doubling or tripling down.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Have you been to the cop thread yet?

Why would you lead someone down that path?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I've always appreciated the perspective you folks have, and the CE threads have generally been much more readable and tolerable than pretty much anything else on the forums.

You're all good people, and Hail SS-18 Satan May His Passing Cleanse the Earth

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm kinda surprised by the civilian populace we draw here. I know a good chunk of goons see us as generally gun happy assholes or wannabe cops (cops wish they were mil, taking all our hand-me-downs) or kowtowing some right wing line in their heads, but that's quite oppositely displayed here on a daily basis. I'm proud of this little mil subforum, lots of smart and thoughtful folk, even if it is hidden behind a few more shades of gray. Thanks civvie readers and posters, for not judging us so quickly and tossing us in with right wing assholes subconsciously.

F

A keen sense of the absurd on y'all's part got me here. The get help/resource thread showed me what y'all were about. Where's my beer gone to?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
also RIP FYAD, but honestly that trigger should have been pulled years ago.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

I'm just a dumb civvie, that's been lurking 'round for a while now.

Got shitloads of family that served / are serving but I was fortunate enough to graduate from HS in 1992 and there really wasn't poo poo for me during the drawdown from Desert Storm. I was lucky to have an honest AF recruiter. Maybe he was just tired, I dunno.

The CE threads in GIP are the best thing. A good s/n ratio.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Kesper North posted:

Lower signal to noise means more noise, so in a way you're right!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

dont forget gq called us ghoulish

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Came for the idiot thread, stayed to lurk CE. There is a bit of a unique attitude and outlook here so its a refreshing difference from basically anywhere else except when I talk to my disaffected vet friends.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm a civvie and this thread has a great perspective and everyone here is as cynical as I am.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm a vet, and this is one of the only vet forums I can actually stomach

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
173rd headed to the ME.

https://www.stripes.com/news/europe...7LheH_1Dacj4piA

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

GQ can eat a bag of herpes flavor candy coated assholes.

Not surprised by the demise of fyad. It was never my flavor of crazy. It was kinda like "The Office" of the forums wherein I didn't really understand why it was considered funny, but didn't poo poo on it for a long time either.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

:caro:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

dubzee posted:

I'm just a dumb civvie, that's been lurking 'round for a while now.

Got shitloads of family that served / are serving but I was fortunate enough to graduate from HS in 1992 and there really wasn't poo poo for me during the drawdown from Desert Storm. I was lucky to have an honest AF recruiter. Maybe he was just tired, I dunno.

The CE threads in GIP are the best thing. A good s/n ratio.

It's the idiots thread

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's the idiots thread

Also good

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's the dogges thread

ftfy

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

gently caress, you're right

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

I can only imagine the issues for families and relationships when a BDE sized unit deploys rapidly and unexpectedly.

It was hard enough with constant month long field exercises but for the most part you always knew when those were coming up.

Similar to deploying units to the border, Trump has no idea of the effects his impulsive decisions have. And most soldiers are dumb enough to support everything he does regardless.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

gently caress, you're right

I stopped reading the dog thread for 3 or so years after I lost my dog. It was easily the worst decision I ever made. I have so many dog posts to catch up on.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Sounds about right

Hail SS-18

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sounds like Vakha got his wish

summdat grunt poo poo

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
I'm a civilian and I follow pretty much just the CE thread. It's kind of like reading the trade weeklies for various specialties, which is always very different from the news, because modern journalists don't often have a good sense for what is expected or unexpected and normal or remarkable, as an event. Lawyer analysis of various legal news is very different from CNN's "legal" "analysis". Same for the military. Thanks for the thread y'all.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Mustang posted:

Trump has no idea of the effects his impulsive decisions have. And most soldiers are dumb enough to support everything he does regardless.

Don't worry, only about 40% all soldiers are dumb enough to support everything he does regardless, with another 8.5% dumb enough to not care one way or the other.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I, too, am a civvie that wouldn't have been allowed near a recruitment center due to a lifelong adderall prescription and a crippling hatred of being told what to do.

This is the only CE thread I bookmark and occasionally poo poo up with some dumb post about Terry Gilliam.

Anyway wolves count as dogges right? Have a notdogge as a thank you~

https://twitter.com/nywolforg/status/1214371932063387651

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

EBB posted:

Sounds like Vakha got his wish

summdat grunt poo poo

I hope he PCSed to Bragg or Fort Hood last month.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/th3j35t3r/status/1214376293480968192?s=20 lol

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Old Boot posted:

I, too, am a civvie that wouldn't have been allowed near a recruitment center due to a lifelong adderall prescription and a crippling hatred of being told what to do.

This is the only CE thread I bookmark and occasionally poo poo up with some dumb post about Terry Gilliam.

Anyway wolves count as dogges right? Have a notdogge as a thank you~

https://twitter.com/nywolforg/status/1214371932063387651

Erm their profile pic is clearly a Luca

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Brute Squad posted:

I stopped reading the dog thread for 3 or so years after I lost my dog. It was easily the worst decision I ever made. I have so many dog posts to catch up on.

I'd had Ms. Peaches for half my life when we lost her. Red-nose pit, smart as a whip, kind to children, cruel to assholes. Never thought I'd get over that one.

Then I went to local pit-bull rescue and found the most ridiculous thing. Pit/boxer, eight years old, scared, scarred, and forgotten. Out of all the beautiful, strong, intelligent dogs there, she stood out (read: she was the first one to wag her tail before doing anything)

Rita in her natural state and habitat:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Hahahaha goddamn it's nice to be out of that shithole

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

lookit that bullshit big boss bitch

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

madeintaipei posted:

I'd had Ms. Peaches for half my life when we lost her. Red-nose pit, smart as a whip, kind to children, cruel to assholes. Never thought I'd get over that one.

Then I went to local pit-bull rescue and found the most ridiculous thing. Pit/boxer, eight years old, scared, scarred, and forgotten. Out of all the beautiful, strong, intelligent dogs there, she stood out (read: she was the first one to wag her tail before doing anything)

Rita in her natural state and habitat:

I'm still not in a place to own dogs, but my little sister adopted two toy poodle pups. I help my parents dogsit them sometimes, and Chewie and I have bonded.

here he is right after she got them. I promise more posts in the dogge thread as part of my new years resolutions.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
On the international stage the USA is quickly coming to resemble all those trump supporters who post their white bread / hot dog xmas dinners because their families disowned them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Brute Squad posted:

I stopped when Logan went with the ex. :(