Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Lester Shy posted:

I really like how all of the antagonists have this listless, ennuied distaste for you, since they're all immortal being who can't actually change anything. It's a refreshing change from the usual cartoonishly evil video game villains.

Its kinda like hating other goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Dias posted:

The issue with Poseidon is that he's very middle-of-the-pack at everything. For basic attack boosts, you'd rather have Artemis or Aphrodite (Either pure damage or Weak are better than knockback), depending on the weapon, Ares is also a better pick. His dash is really good for small critters but you'd rather have Athena or Aphrodite Dash more often than not, even Dionysius if you HAVE to is an arguable pick if you wanna trigger Privileged Status. He also has a ton of "make pickups better!" boons that you kinda don't wanna take, so it just dilutes the pool? His Duos and Legendary are also super lackluster. He isn't bad, especially early on, it's just that usually I wanna pick someone else over him.

Zeus I'm just unimpressed by, I think his AoE gimmick doesn't matter since AoE is something you have access to yourself or your single target damage is so insane you just destroy targets one at a time. I'm not sure lightning procs crit either, and he's the only thing that buffs his own damage then. His duos and legendary are better than Poseidon's but still...if I'm gonna invest a ton in a God, I want something BULLSHIT. Artemis and almost anyone else gives me something bullshit. Ares/Athena is ridiculous. Zeus gives me something solid. Unless I'm missing something and constantly applying Privileged Status with Jolted and Rupture matters that much.

Nah, I see what you're saying. Poseidon's push stuff is fun, but it's not very useful against bosses where the game is generally at it's hardest. Sea Storms is a genuinely powerful boon with the right build, but applying both status effects with one attack isn't a huge deal; it frees up a little mental bandwidth so you can focus on dodging/attacking rather than keeping your debuffs up, but that's about it.

What I don't get, though, is how you're getting value out of the Athena/Ares Duo. It seems OK, but to really make it shine you'd need to alternate rapidly between a deflect and doom attack? I guess you could use the Athena dash? Hmmm, I'll have to try that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I got a Poseidon boon that offered to replace my Artemis attack boon and it was actually going to make the damage number go down by 10 points, despite having higher rarity. Push is way overvalued

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

QuarkJets posted:

I got a Poseidon boon that offered to replace my Artemis attack boon and it was actually going to make the damage number go down by 10 points, despite having higher rarity. Push is way overvalued

Yeah. Push with the 300% wall-knockback damage and poo poo is great for clearing Styx, but otherwise it's pretty stupid to build around clearing trash and then floundering at the last boss trying as hard as you can to win the attrition-war. If Push could more substantially affect bosses, yeah that'd be great.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Nah, I see what you're saying. Poseidon's push stuff is fun, but it's not very useful against bosses where the game is generally at it's hardest. Sea Storms is a genuinely powerful boon with the right build, but applying both status effects with one attack isn't a huge deal; it frees up a little mental bandwidth so you can focus on dodging/attacking rather than keeping your debuffs up, but that's about it.

What I don't get, though, is how you're getting value out of the Athena/Ares Duo. It seems OK, but to really make it shine you'd need to alternate rapidly between a deflect and doom attack? I guess you could use the Athena dash? Hmmm, I'll have to try that.

It's basically Athena Dash carrying it, yeah. Here, have a video showcasing it (plus a gamebreaking boss glitch): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymhc8FHfmx8&hd=1

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Feels bad I've played this game for so loving long, have done up through 5-heat on all the weapons, and I still don't have a Summon yet. I've maxed out giving them Nectar and I think I'm just awaiting to unlock more dialog from Skelly/Sisy/Meg et al before I can give them my 15 stockpile of Ambrosia. It's kinda loving stupid.

also I pretty much never ever see Meg in the lobby so I'm only at like 3 Nectar for her.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I've had posidon boons when fighting hades and I saw the "wall slam" text and biggish numbers come up, so typhoon's fury at least isn't completely useless. What I think happens is that the knockback doesn't happen (or only happens microscopically) but if he's standing against a wall when you hit him, you get the increased wall slam bonuses anyway. Not 100% sure, tho, it's not trivial to test.

but you could just not go posideon and murder him easily, instead

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
posiedon is the only trinket i don't have because by the time i started getting excess nectar i basically never took a poseidon chamber reward any more if i can avoid it, only in a shop/trial. maybe styx with no fated authority. it's not terrible its just there's always always something better for whatever tier 1 ability slot you're taking, and if you're just after a privileged status debuff he's someone you have to invest a second boon in to even get that. once your ability develops such that getting past elysium is basically a given for you he just doesn't have much to offer because if you assume you're getting to hades then most of his text is essentially blank

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How much can you upgrade the weapons with titan blood? I haven't used any yet aside from unlocking stuff because I don't really wanna make the game easier but part of me is wondering if they even make a huge difference in the end.

Xaris posted:

Feels bad I've played this game for so loving long, have done up through 5-heat on all the weapons, and I still don't have a Summon yet. I've maxed out giving them Nectar and I think I'm just awaiting to unlock more dialog from Skelly/Sisy/Meg et al before I can give them my 15 stockpile of Ambrosia. It's kinda loving stupid.

also I pretty much never ever see Meg in the lobby so I'm only at like 3 Nectar for her.

Reading this post is the first I've heard about summons even being a thing.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Xaris posted:

You might be able to get Skelly's easily enough. Once you've given him as much nectar as you can, upgrade the original sword to +5 and kill him with it. Doing so gives you an achievement for 6 diamonds and unlocked the ambrosia tier gifts for me along with his summon.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Internet Kraken posted:

How much can you upgrade the weapons with titan blood? I haven't used any yet aside from unlocking stuff because I don't really wanna make the game easier but part of me is wondering if they even make a huge difference in the end.

Reading this post is the first I've heard about summons even being a thing.
Quite a lot and they vary by aspect. I think a third tier aspect needs 15 blood to max out. Some like spinning shield aspect go from like 8 damage to 29 damage when maxed. But yes it makes a big difference on some like Chirron Aspect is almost silly when maxed, others don’t benefit a much eg Hera Bow or Pos Sword (but still good).

So yes it makes the game easier but you can add Pacts that make the game harder, just in different ways. You should be spending blood.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You might be able to get Skelly's easily enough. Once you've given him as much nectar as you can, upgrade the original sword to +5 and kill him with it. Doing so gives you an achievement for 6 diamonds and unlocked the ambrosia tier gifts for me along with his summon.

Neat. Ive got that quest but I just don’t have the blood to max out Zag Sword.

Speaking of which, is it worth selling Diamonds for Blood? It seems like the renovations have a limited number to actually build so diamonds seem a little useless

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Xaris posted:

Neat. Ive got that quest but I just don’t have the blood to max out Zag Sword.

Speaking of which, is it worth selling Diamonds for Blood? It seems like the renovations have a limited number to actually build so diamonds seem a little useless

The good thing about the first aspect of the sword is it only takes one blood per level unlike others which require more as you level them up. I personally wouldn't sell diamonds for blood but I'm also trying to get all the songs from the renovator, if you don't care about those it might be worth it. Keep in mind that one of the random things you can get from the renovator is a ticket for Sisyphus's freedom and it costs 10 diamonds. I bought it and haven't run into him since, I assume it gets you his summon as well when you give it to him.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Xaris posted:

Quite a lot and they vary by aspect. I think a third tier aspect needs 15 blood to max out. Some like spinning shield aspect go from like 8 damage to 29 damage when maxed. But yes it makes a big difference on some like Chirron Aspect is almost silly when maxed, others don’t benefit a much eg Hera Bow or Pos Sword (but still good).

So yes it makes the game easier but you can add Pacts that make the game harder, just in different ways. You should be spending blood.

I guess this is where to the roguelite aspects of the game frustrate me and I just wish it had a more consistent option for difficulty I could enjoy. I felt like running the game on Hell 10 was a good resting point but I do wish the weapons were more differentiated. Not sure what to settle with.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Unlocking the Meg summon has been the worst. I got the other two in a flash, but for some reason it made me do like 27 conversations with her when the patch dropped, even though I had her hearts maxed out. Still got 10 more to go, but she doesn't show half the time.

:negative:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Unlocking the Meg summon has been the worst. I got the other two in a flash, but for some reason it made me do like 27 conversations with her when the patch dropped, even though I had her hearts maxed out. Still got 10 more to go, but she doesn't show half the time.

:negative:

It's far less than even half for me. I'd say she maybe shows up 1 in every 4 or 5 runs these days? Seems a bit glitchy or unintended to be that rare. For awhile there I had done like 5 runs without her showing up at all.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I'd assumed she only showed up if you ran into her in the previous run, just like whats his name.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Zeus just seems like a really underwhelming good in general, though I guess his attack boon might be good on the railgun since its flat damage.

I dunno if they balance this game but I kind of hope him and Poseidon get more incentive to go with.

I think they he's largely lackluster but my strongest run was one where I went all-in on Zeus. I don't even remember what weapon I was using, I just spammed dashes (with the Hermes +dash boon) and everything on the screen died instantly while I was completely invulnerable.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I'm pretty sure she can show up without being the Fury du jour. Seems to be more common though. I almost exclusively run with Extreme Measure on the PoP now and I think that may help.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I might've played slightly too much Hades today. Unlocked Meg's trinket, got an 8-win streak going while raising Heat to 5 on all weapons.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Zeus is boring but effective. Like, the one string to his bow is 'does lightning', but by gently caress... he DOES LIGHTNING. If you hit every boon he gives you shoot lightning when you walk, when you hit, when you fart, scratch your rear end and when you shoot lightning.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Vargs posted:

I think they he's largely lackluster but my strongest run was one where I went all-in on Zeus. I don't even remember what weapon I was using, I just spammed dashes (with the Hermes +dash boon) and everything on the screen died instantly while I was completely invulnerable.

I got chain lighting on sword attack and it was lit

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
heat 5 Chiron cleared, whee ha

I should probably try playing with other weapons but Chiron aspected Coronacht is so good man

I had been giving all of my juice to Megaera and now it won't let me anymore, though a couple runs ago she was in my room. i have no idea how the relationship system actually works, i just give juice to achilles, meg, and than whenever i see them

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

guts and bolts posted:

I had been giving all of my juice to Megaera and now it won't let me anymore, though a couple runs ago she was in my room. i have no idea how the relationship system actually works, i just give juice to achilles, meg, and than whenever i see them

https://hades.gamepedia.com/Hades_Wiki

You give nectar until you can't, then you give ambrosia. I think you can only give nectar once per room?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Kill All Cops posted:

https://hades.gamepedia.com/Hades_Wiki

You give nectar until you can't, then you give ambrosia. I think you can only give nectar once per room?

i've never been able to give nectar to the same person twice in the same run, and some characters required that i give them nectar before speaking to them or it would shut off my option to give them juice (thanatos and eurydice, maybe someone else)

i have ambrosia but i get no prompt to offer it to meg; now when i see her she gives me a quip and then that's that, so maybe there's something else involved?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I think when you open the journal you can see how many hearts filled/empty hearts there are for each relationship, each empty heart represents a nectar

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Got my first victory last night! It was my 25th run total.
Most of my damage came from 4 shots of Poseidon cast with rupture, and the flurry jab spear upgrade with poison on attack. Being able to double up on DoTs and focus more on avoiding attacks helped a lot. I also owe my success to the +60% god meter charge rate boon I had - I definitely wouldn't have beat Hades without repeatedly hammering him with Zeus's lightning.

Broken spearpoint feels like a must for Styx, considering how sloppy I am at the final fight. I had two extra lives and 300 health, and still got knocked down to under 50 HP on my last life by the time I beat him.

Can't wait to get some wins with other weapons, but I'm kind of dreading the bow. Also I loved the shield the first time I used it, and it was the first weapon I beat any bosses with (both Meg and the Hydra, I think) but now that I'm better with dodging and moving it feels kind of bad to use compared to the sword and spear. Maybe I just hate the Zeus aspect and should switch back.

PS: Getting Zeus's chain lightning on your basic attack with the gun as your starter boon, and then getting the flurry fire Daedalus upgrade before leaving Tartarus, is basically cheating. That was by far the most powerful run I'd had up to that point, and probably was stronger than the one I actually beat Hades with. I'm just not very good with the gun. :v:

This game fuckin rules

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
chaos shield + the zeus boon that makes lightning strike on special attack is an insta-win combo, i know that much

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The skelly thing is a quest he gives when you spend enough blood unlocking or upgrading aspects of your weapons, if you want more diamonds max out the Zagreus sword aspect early

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I hate Theseus and his ridiculous 75 damage missiles so much

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Kill All Cops posted:

I think when you open the journal you can see how many hearts filled/empty hearts there are for each relationship, each empty heart represents a nectar

my meg's progress is just at a heart with a keyhole in it. i think i've given her 5-6 nectar already. i'm not sure what the heck that actually means. i guess i just need to keep bumping into her? a good excuse to drop all my heat and practice sword.

Internet Kraken posted:

I hate Theseus and his ridiculous 75 damage missiles so much

theseus + minotaur is significantly harder for me than the last boss is, but i think some of that might be a product of the weapon and aspect i use most frequently. killing the minotaur quickly and cleanly is the key; theseus by himself ain't poo poo really

w/r/t the keepsakes, i'm struggling to come up with one better than cerberus's flat health. the others are cool, kinda, but having access to just more health usually trumps them in terms of usefulness - like, broken spearpoint, i usually don't get hit again once i've been hit until the window for invulnerability would be closed anyway. i'm sure there's a cool strat with the skull earring from meg, but i don't know how to make it work. i've had luck with the butterfly from thanatos when using Chiron bow because you're way less likely to take damage until, like, Elysium? but then it's almost perma-shut off for me owing to normal Elysium bullshit and poison in Styx thereafter.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
My favorite thing about Zeus is the way Dionysus tries to discreetly tell Zag to watch the gently caress out for him.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

guts and bolts posted:

my meg's progress is just at a heart with a keyhole in it. i think i've given her 5-6 nectar already. i'm not sure what the heck that actually means. i guess i just need to keep bumping into her? a good excuse to drop all my heat and practice sword.

theseus + minotaur is significantly harder for me than the last boss is, but i think some of that might be a product of the weapon and aspect i use most frequently. killing the minotaur quickly and cleanly is the key; theseus by himself ain't poo poo really

w/r/t the keepsakes, i'm struggling to come up with one better than cerberus's flat health. the others are cool, kinda, but having access to just more health usually trumps them in terms of usefulness - like, broken spearpoint, i usually don't get hit again once i've been hit until the window for invulnerability would be closed anyway. i'm sure there's a cool strat with the skull earring from meg, but i don't know how to make it work. i've had luck with the butterfly from thanatos when using Chiron bow because you're way less likely to take damage until, like, Elysium? but then it's almost perma-shut off for me owing to normal Elysium bullshit and poison in Styx thereafter.

broken spearpoint beats everything for styx imo, and is good in elysium if there isn't another you want to take. leveled up, 1.5 seconds is a lot of invulnerability time. it's extremely valuable for styx because of the way the enemies work, particularly satyrs and snakestones. the initial poison dart hit only does 1 damage, and during the invulnerable window you won't take damage from the dot so it covers your run to the healing fountain and makes it basically a free hit. snakestone lasers (and hades lasers) also apply fast bursts of small damage so it saves you plenty there as well. you don't think you'd that often take repeated instances of damage but try wearing it and just get a feel for how much health you're not losing compared to normal

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kill All Cops posted:

I got chain lighting on sword attack and it was lit

now get it on the gun attack :kheldragar:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I'll never probably git gud enough to beat this game, but I just love playing it over and over for conversations and story at this point

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Motherfucker posted:

Zeus is boring but effective. Like, the one string to his bow is 'does lightning', but by gently caress... he DOES LIGHTNING. If you hit every boon he gives you shoot lightning when you walk, when you hit, when you fart, scratch your rear end and when you shoot lightning.

i shoot two bolts in the morning
i shoot two bolts at night
i shoot two bolts in the afternoon
it makes me feel alright

i shoot two bolts in time of peace
and two in time of war
i shoot two bolts before i shoot two bolts
and then i shoot two more

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does the broken spearpoint work on Hell mode?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Yes, I always equip it in Styx.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
One duo I never seen get mentioned, but is surprisingly good, is Zeus/Athena. You wouldn't think a duo that solely added an affect to a specific cast would be a gamechanger, but it enabled one of my easiest clears.

RE: Poseidon. Zeus/Poseidon with all the right boons is one of my favorite combos in the game, but yeah Poseidon feels really lackluster otherwise. His duos with Aphrodite and Dionysus feel really worthless when you get them late game, which is the most likely time. Hell, I think I got the pom one once around the halfway point and still didn't get an opportunity to use it until the freebie you get in Styx. I hope Demeter gets some good duos with the gods who are lacking in that department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Don't know why everyone is knocking down my man Poseidon, maybe it's because Hell Mode + heat makes regular fights more dangerous. Having good waveclear lets you stay healthy until you reach the boss, which in itself makes the fight easier. I'll usually try to make a build able to both deal with regular fights and bosses and Poseidon excels at fighting trash mobs. I just complement him with another god for Theseus and daddy. My ~tier list~ for consistent victories would be something like

Athena
Aphrodite
Artemis / Poseidon
Dyonisos / Ares
Zeus

And even then, Zeus has great potential. He's quite needy if you want to center your build around him, which is thematically fitting, but you can usually get by as long as you get his jolted effect on one of your actions. Also Billowing Strength is excellent.