Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
What grits do people recommend using when starting off with sharpening? I've heard down as low as 400 or 600, other people say to just use the 1000/6000 combo stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you're starting with a knife that isn't used to apply butter I can't imagine needing a 400 or 600 grit. That almost sounds like what they'd start with on a belt sander when they're making the knife. 1k/6k is a fine place to start and if you want to go finer from there I'd think you're looking at a leather strop and paste.

E:I'm just a hobbyist so maybe there's times for those coarse grits like with cleavers etc?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

A coarser grit is useful for when you want to reprofile the edge or if the blade is chipped. I think 800 is excellent for getting rid of enough steel to make a burr, and honing up to 2000 is perfect. 6000 is honestly insanely high and not really necessary unless you’re sharpening a sashimi knife. I currently have a 1000/6000 stone and I hate it because it takes forever to sharpen even a victorinox which has relatively soft steel.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

captkirk posted:

What grits do people recommend ...

To save you from eventually pulling your hair out, grit is only useful between like abrasives. So comparing sandpaper to sandpaper, or diamond to diamond, or waterstones to waterstones. For example 2000 grit sandpaper is much finer than 2000 grit waterstone. There are charts online that translate.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Thanks for all the goons suggesting me Tefal. The difference is just night and day, and now I can't imagine going back - or how I even cooked in the first place. Being able to sear any meat without any oil is great, and I just get better results all around.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I'm looking for silicone flipper recommendations.

I like my OXO, but if I rest the non-silicone handle on a hot pan, it melts. A look on Amazon seems to indicate most are if this style with the same melty handle?

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Cheesus posted:

I'm looking for silicone flipper recommendations.

I like my OXO, but if I rest the non-silicone handle on a hot pan, it melts. A look on Amazon seems to indicate most are if this style with the same melty handle?

Honestly, your best bet might just be to get a spoon rest or two. I started making a point to use one after melting a couple handles that way.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I even have and use a spoon rest regularly.

My only excuse is using the weight of the flipper to counterweight the warping of my Tramotina when making quesadillas.

Instead of just throwing the drat thing out and using the T-fal I bought two months ago and is right next to it in the cabinet. :(

Tomorrow is trash day, so I'm going to rectify this problem.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

LOVE my $30 rice cooker, it's exactly what I wanted, thank you Goons.

https://www.amazon.com/Aroma-Housewares-ARC-914SBD-Cool-Touch-Stainless/dp/B007WQ9YNO/

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Are there big differences between the different KitchenAid "Artisan" models? There seem to be a lot of product codes (5KSM125, 5KSM175...), but do these denote any functional differences between the models or is it just cosmetics / what accessories are included?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think they give different distribution channels different SKUs so that it’s hard to comparison shop

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I think they give different distribution channels different SKUs so that it’s hard to comparison shop

DING DING DING

Accessory and bowl wise, I think there are only two sizes, the tilt-head and the lift-bowl.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

DING DING DING

Accessory and bowl wise, I think there are only two sizes, the tilt-head and the lift-bowl.

That's the main division, and then there's the power rating. Costco has their own special model, or did; otherwise if two have the same power rating in W and are both bowl or tilt they're functionally identical.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Canuck-Errant posted:

That's the main division, and then there's the power rating. Costco has their own special model, or did; otherwise if two have the same power rating in W and are both bowl or tilt they're functionally identical.

There are some Costco lift-bowl models that have different, skinnier bowl dimensions, even with the same volume. I discovered that after finding out that they don’t make a beater blade that fits my Costco model.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Michaellaneous posted:

Thanks for all the goons suggesting me Tefal. The difference is just night and day, and now I can't imagine going back - or how I even cooked in the first place. Being able to sear any meat without any oil is great, and I just get better results all around.

Maybe the materials are different these days but I believe you shouldn’t be searing in a nonstick pan.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Taima posted:

Maybe the materials are different these days but I believe you shouldn’t be searing in a nonstick pan.
Back in the wild west days of teflon and whatever, yeah, but modern materials are safe.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Ok then, fair enough, thanks for the clarification!

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Canuck-Errant posted:

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

What's the go-to sodastream alternative? Looking to stay under $200.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Buy a pressure regulator and 5 or 10 lb tank of CO2

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I want a decent cheap knife that I can sharpen using an electric three stage sharpener I have and hone in between.

I don't want some fancy hardened-steel nonsense, I think a bad knife sharpened lots can be good enough for most home-cooking and I want to abuse a mediocre knife for a few years and then get a new one.

Anyone have a recommendation for something good like that, my sharpener sharpens to a 15 degree angle if that helps.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Skyarb posted:

I want a decent cheap knife that I can sharpen using an electric three stage sharpener I have and hone in between.

I don't want some fancy hardened-steel nonsense, I think a bad knife sharpened lots can be good enough for most home-cooking and I want to abuse a mediocre knife for a few years and then get a new one.

Anyone have a recommendation for something good like that, my sharpener sharpens to a 15 degree angle if that helps.

It's probably 15 degrees on either side right, so 30 deg edge. I have a couple cheap knives from grocery stores that do fine when they're sharp, I would do that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Skyarb posted:

I want a decent cheap knife that I can sharpen using an electric three stage sharpener

Anolon. You can buy them anywhere for $15-30, the steel is decent but not too hard, and they will take an edge. I've had one for over 10 years and still use it occasionally even though I own better knives.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Skyarb posted:

I’d grab a Fibrox Pro Chef’s knife ($35) if that’s still in you budget.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

.Z. posted:

I’d grab a Fibrox Pro Chef’s knife ($35) if that’s still in you budget.

Thank you this looks totally perfect.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

IKEA has some cheaper knives just like that.
I used one for a number of years and still have it I just use a Henkles old country knife I was given more nowadays.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Thumposaurus posted:

IKEA has some cheaper knives just like that.
I used one for a number of years and still have it I just use a Henkles old country knife I was given more nowadays.

I just need the knives to not be hardened steel, or whatever. I want to treat them like poo poo and use my chef step electric sharpener on them.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Skyarb posted:

I just need the knives to not be hardened steel, or whatever. I want to treat them like poo poo and use my chef step electric sharpener on them.

All knives are hardened steel. The Vic mention above is harder than most though not as hard as japan knives. The Vic is a great knife though.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

wormil posted:

All knives are hardened steel. The Vic mention above is harder than most though not as hard as japan knives. The Vic is a great knife though.

OK maybe I am not using the correct terminology but I've always been told those nice japanese knives are made of steel that is harder than most and as such you cannot use normal easy sharpening methods on them. I could be very wrong though.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Make sure your cheap knife is full-tang, i.e. the metal goes all the way down the handle. I like a cheap knife too, but all the ones I've had without a full tang snapped fast

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Make sure your cheap knife is full-tang, i.e. the metal goes all the way down the handle. I like a cheap knife too, but all the ones I've had without a full tang snapped fast

My Victorinox Fibrox is not full tang but has lasted me like 8 years, only recently replaced by a Wusthof model. And the Vic is still in service, just secondary. They’re good knives.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah, don't baton through frozen turkeys.

Skyarb posted:

OK maybe I am not using the correct terminology but I've always been told those nice japanese knives are made of steel that is harder than most and as such you cannot use normal easy sharpening methods on them. I could be very wrong though.

Sperg warning and super simplified...
None of us were born with knowledge of how knives are made but there are 2 types of steel just like there are 2 types of chemistry, carbon and non-carbon (mild steel). All blades, hammers, axes, drill bits, saw blades, etc.; are medium or high carbon steel (sometimes called tool steel or spring steel) so they can be hardened. All knives are high carbon steel. Carbon steel can be soft as mild steel or hard as glass. The harder the steel, the harder it is to sharpen and the longer it holds an edge but the more fragile (brittle) it becomes. Japan likes very hard steel but it chips relatively easily. Europeans chose a balanced approach that requires more frequent sharpening but is tougher. Stainless steel has more chromium to prevent rust. Most western style chef knives are some type of stainless steel.

I'm not a knife expert by any stretch and only own a few brands of knives-- Victorinox, Anolon (my first), and Case, they all perform exceptionally well compared to kitchen knives used by most people I know. All are stainless steel. The Vic holds an edge the longest, the Case is the most ergonomic, the Anolon was the cheapest, but all will perform equally. I also have one carbon steel (it can rust) knife I made myself, it sharpens easily and can shave paper thin slices off a tomato but unless I clean and oil it every single time, it rusts, which means it dulls quicker.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Electric three sharpeners can be good. I own a chefs choice and I would be fine with running any of my knives through it (as long as they're of appropriate hardness), you just dont use the first stage unless you really want to grind some metal.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.amazon.com/deal/441820b...g=kotakuamzn-20

Seen on Kotaku: Cuisinart enameled cast iron is 1/2 off today only

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

They’ve gone too far

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

They’ve gone too far

No that’s tame. Ninja’s version doesn’t have a detaching air fryer lid, so it looks like this when being used as a pressure cooker.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm looking at replacing my cheapo Black & Decker rice cooker since the coating on it has been wearing down, not quite sure I want to shell out 100$+ for one of the top of the lines, so I was looking at the Aroma linked in the OP - there's a 20 cup and 8 cup variety, with the 20 cup version also having a slow cooker feature. 8 Cups is probably good for my needs, but 15$ more for the slow cooker feature feels like it might be a good idea?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Oxyclean posted:

I'm looking at replacing my cheapo Black & Decker rice cooker

If you scroll back 1-2 pages there was a lengthy discussion about it. Since then I started making rice in my Instantpot and it makes perfect rice every time. I kinda hate to admit it, but it actually is a little bit better than rice I make on the stovetop and I thought I was pretty good at it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

my only complaint about my zojirushi rice cooker is how long it takes. Sometimes it feels like it takes 45 minutes to an hour to make rice, which seems pretty long considering older rice cookers I've had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I too have put my rice cooker in storage and now use my insta pot for rice