Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cheapsteaks posted:

Nart was descended from the original ninja Jesus family, Ichigo had a Shinigami dad and Quincy mom, like aside from DBZ where Goku was just some guy's kid Shonen series really get into these weird things about lineage (but no wait it's really about hard work!)

One Piece doesn't have much of that, though. Luffy and Ace resemble each others' fathers more than their own, and Nami, Franky, Chopper, and Sanji are all defined by their adoptive rather than their biological families. Sabo, Doflamingo, and Madame Shirley are all nothing like their families. And then there's the obvious contrast between Big Mom and Whitebeard. In general, One Piece seems to be saying that bloodlines are overrated. The Will of D might be an exception, but we don't know the details; it's entirely plausible that it can be passed on by adoption too (which would explain why both human and giant families have it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Silver2195 posted:

Luffy and Ace resemble each others' fathers more than their own

I used to have theories about this that I wished were not true, and then they showed like Early 20s Garp and I was like phew okay definitely not

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Goku still counts for shonen lineage, seeing as he's one of the few survivors of the one race in the galaxy that has absolutely zero upper limits on how strong they can get.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Zoro wasn’t raised by his teacher though. He was just some kid who showed up one day looking for a fight (unless that was an anime invention).

If we follow the logic here then surely Kuina would be Oden’s secret child.

Yeah if Zoro turns out to be Oden’s son then his backstory will have to be retconned a little bit since it probably wasn’t planned from the beginning. I guess his teacher left him with another family in the town and just watched over him secretly?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

rannum posted:

Luffy is the son of a very powerful revolutionary and the grandson of one of the strongest marines ever and was sworn brothers with the son of the most legendary pirate ever
He also may or may not be related to Goa's royalty depending on how some theories about the king who's face we never saw pan out.

Bleck posted:

I used to have theories about this that I wished were not true, and then they showed like Early 20s Garp and I was like phew okay definitely not

I wonder what Dragon looked like when he was Luffy's age.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Zoro's parents are definitely nobodies. His grandmother on the other hand...

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Zoro was born on Laugh Tale and the real transliteration of his name is Lolonoa Zolol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
zoro is pretty obviously iceberg's son did none of you read the newest chapter?

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1006011

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Genghis Baan is way too good of a name.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Jose posted:

zoro is pretty obviously iceberg's son did none of you read the newest chapter?

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1006011

Ok I knew the scanlations for this chapter had some issues but it is crazy how different this is

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
its even better to read the second time around

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Duke Genghis Baan

amazing

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

rannum posted:

Ok I knew the scanlations for this chapter had some issues but it is crazy how different this is

Like is this Better or Worse?

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight
It's better until you get to Zolo

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Better, by far

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

finally i can read this thread again

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

it's better

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It really highlights how the new scanlations are even worse than the old MS/JB ones

doomrider7 posted:

It's 2020 there's no way an official release is worse than some second-level english translations of korean translations of japanese scans or whatever the gently caress

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

doomrider7 posted:

Snazzy Frocks posted:

its even better to read the second time around

excuse me, the official review was already out

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

it's better

lol

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Translating Sea kings as Neptunians doesn’t really work when there’s also a character named Neptune.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

with the good scanlations gone, I guess it's time to accept the officials but "zolo" sucks my dick

e: oh drat, yeah, "Neptunians" wasn't good. I forgot they were talking about the big fish and not Neptune's subjects, even though it wouldn't make sense for them to be called Neptunians when Neptune only assumed the throne a short while ago in this flashback

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

RatHat posted:

Translating Sea kings as Neptunians doesn’t really work when there’s also a character named Neptune.

who is also a king of/in the sea...

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

RatHat posted:

It was hundreds of chapters until Neptune existed, they can get a pass on not predicting details from a decade later.

Zolo is still goddamn stupid though.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
For whatever reason they chose to translate poneglyphs as 'ponegliffs', it makes very little sense to me. I mean, 'glyph' is an actual word for characters in a system of writing, hieroglyphs and all that. It's not a made up word, so changing that to...'gliff'...just seems...dumb, and like the translator maybe doesn't know that?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah Neptunian is a perfectly valid translation of "kaio-rui" which is what they're called in Japanese

EimiYoshikawa posted:

For whatever reason they chose to translate poneglyphs as 'ponegliffs', it makes very little sense to me. I mean, 'glyph' is an actual word for characters in a system of writing, hieroglyphs and all that. It's not a made up word, so changing that to...'gliff'...just seems...dumb, and like the translator maybe doesn't know that?

Every piece of officially translated One Piece media uses "gliff" so I imagine it's a mandate from Oda

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

it's better

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I’m glad people are already doing it cause the scanlations are so loving bad now. You guys might as well be reading another manga with how wildly off almost every panel is

With that being said that chapter almost had me tearing up man... what a manga

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, I'll be waiting for officials now. But anything over a week means I cannot wait.

Roger's laugh is so good.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Jesus loving Christ, y'all are actually reading the first two?

Zolo is one letter, Ponegliff is a different spelling, and Neptunians is just another name for the same thing. They're also all unfortunate holdovers from a past, worse translation and have no bearing on the fantastic work Stephen Paul is doing now. If things that small keep people from reading superior work then I can only pity them.

Fantastic chapter though! I want that page of Roger laughing framed on my wall. What a King (of the Pirates.)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
On the other hand, the official translations missed the joke of "Can't-go-on-that-island-disease" as being yet another one of Usopp's lies coming true. A shame!!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mdct posted:

On the other hand, the official translations missed the joke of "Can't-go-on-that-island-disease" as being yet another one of Usopp's lies coming true. A shame!!

or it was just something the unofficial translators made up and isn't there in the original text

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Brother Entropy posted:

or it was just something the unofficial translators made up and isn't there in the original text

it's this

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Someone post the raw Japanese so we can k ow for sure. I NEED to know.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

i checked the raws and sorry but the official translation is accurate

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
My 9yo just finished volume 45 and she asked me "so they're going to Fishman Island next, right?"

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'm glad I had the willpower to wait this long, was worth it. Will be only reading the official releases from now on.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
scanlations are a boring adventure.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm not totally on board with Dogstorm and Cat Viper... Nekomamushi is just so fun to say.

But that and "Zolo" or whatever is a small price to pay for "haven't been here for 4 years" as opposed to "won't be here for four more years". Actually knowing what's being said is... kind of a perk of the official translations.

I'll probably keep reading both though, as it's not like I felt like the lovely translations ruined the experience of learning what was actually said. Maybe I'll feel different when a major plot point is flubbed and nonsensical though.

As for the actual chapter, is anyone else super worried about the smokestacks already being on the mesas in Wano? That's one of my favorite images from this arc, just visually, but it's a really worrying development. Is Kaidou already there loving things up? Is Orochi loving things up? What's going on in Wano? It feels like whatever's going on, I want to know about the stuff we're not seeing currently. Everything's so interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
It's unclear whether or not Kaido has appeared in Wano yet but the smokestacks are almost certainly from Orochi stepping up his weapons production