Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

tithin posted:

How does NG+ work?

I had a game that was completd prior to the expansions coming out.
Do I get to reroll my W1 / 2 choices? I didn't have Letho alive in my W2 save and would like to see that play out in W3.

Can't remember, but if it gives you the option to 'simulate a Witcher 2 save', when you choose NG+ then you can. Just choose yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

itry posted:

There's a mod for auto applying oil, or a mod for auto applying oils but only for monsters you have in your codex (apparently). The latter at least doesn't ignore the whole idea of preparing yourself before a monster hunt.

aaaah uuummm...I'm playing it on the Switch :cripes:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

If I remember right from when I last did a NG+ it does ask you to either import a Witcher 2 save or simulate one as well as asking for a completed Witcher 3 save, so you should be good to get Letho in your game this time around.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

lezard_valeth posted:

You never actually need to use oils. Don't worry about them unless a fight is giving you serious trouble.

Certain bombs are really useful against particular enemy types, but even then consumables are rarely every required beyond potions. Potions are great and you should use them a lot.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I'm torn between picking the samaritan option but then the camera switches to Geralt, a nord with a thick accent, and of course I'll be taking my money for killing the griffin tyvm

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The mod post in the 2nd post is very outdated, a good chunk of these mods either no longer exist OR haven't been updated for the most recent version of the game.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
If all the extra systems are giving you any trouble, feel free to bump down the difficulty. On the lowest setting none of those systems are important at all, and you can always go back up a difficulty setting if you get the hang of things and want to try them out.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

lezard_valeth posted:

chug down some bread and water

I cant remember the name of it (I’m sure someone here can tell you) but one of the best things to spend an attribute point on is in the brown tree, the one that lets food last for 30 mins.

Meaning you only have to eat something every 30 minutes or as needed and it’ll last for 30 minutes. It’ll constantly replenish your health as long as the ticker is up.

\/\/\/ thank you

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 7, 2020

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gourmet. It's really good.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

lezard_valeth posted:

switch newbie here too. i felt pretty lost the first couple of hours, but you'll get the hang of it. I'm playing on the second lowest difficulty and still find it fun, the story is really great and the combat is mostly hack 'n slash with some monsters requiring a bit more effort.

i didn't bother with sword oils. i did make some witcher potions and some bombs to blow up monster nests, but you only have to create them once and they'll replenish whenever you meditate.
most things you loot (except armor and weapons) weigh nothing, so get all crafting items and food and liquor (especially liquor) in case you need it down the line. saddle bags increase carry cap.

only time i had to drop the difficulty was during a gwent-related fist fight and a frog boss battle in the first DLC.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Dictator. posted:

switch newbie here too. i felt pretty lost the first couple of hours, but you'll get the hang of it. I'm playing on the second lowest difficulty and still find it fun, the story is really great and the combat is mostly hack 'n slash with some monsters requiring a bit more effort.

i didn't bother with sword oils. i did make some witcher potions and some bombs to blow up monster nests, but you only have to create them once and they'll replenish whenever you meditate.
most things you loot (except armor and weapons) weigh nothing, so get all crafting items and food and liquor (especially liquor) in case you need it down the line. saddle bags increase carry cap.

only time i had to drop the difficulty was during a gwent-related fist fight and a frog boss battle in the first DLC.

FYI there’s also a brown attribute that increases carry weight

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Joey Freshwater posted:

FYI there’s also a brown attribute that increases carry weight

Yeah it adds +100 to your carry limit. That one comes in super handy when I'm in the middle of the quest chain and don't want to spend 5-10 minutes getting back to civilization to unload/dismantle all the crap I've picked up. I don't usually have it as a long-term skill in my skill slots, I just swap it when needed.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

tithin posted:

How does NG+ work?

I had a game that was completd prior to the expansions coming out.
Do I get to reroll my W1 / 2 choices? I didn't have Letho alive in my W2 save and would like to see that play out in W3.

Yes, all that. Your NG+ can take in a new Witcher 1/2 save, or a manufactured one, or the same one. Then you pick up your character with the same gear, level, and skills as your previous run. You lose your recipes and Gwent cards, if I remember correctly.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

chaosapiant posted:

Yes, all that. Your NG+ can take in a new Witcher 1/2 save, or a manufactured one, or the same one. Then you pick up your character with the same gear, level, and skills as your previous run. You lose your recipes and Gwent cards, if I remember correctly.

You keep your crafted alchemy items though so recipes are mostly irrelevant if you got all the good stuff.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fritz the Horse posted:

You keep your crafted alchemy items though so recipes are mostly irrelevant if you got all the good stuff.

Yes, this is true. I should have said this. Witcher gear also has a new "tier" called Legendary that goes through the same paces as it did before, but this time it's for NG+ version of that armor.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Oils are basically monster poison, and there are different poisons for each monster type. Slap it on your sword to weaken them or drain their health. It helps but it isn't necessary. The auto apply mods are there because navigating the menus can be a slog and can diminish the time you're saving by killing whatever faster.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I made the mistake of not farming red mutagens before starting NG+ and now I can't unlock the last couple of mutations for the fourth bonus skill slot. Learn from my mistake.

Also you keep alchemy recipes for converting mutagens to other colors, so it also probably would have been smart to grab a bunch of winter cherries from the vineyard before I fired up NG+.

That said, it doesn't really matter that much. With Euphoria + 3 bonus slots to run all the OP alchemy talents, I'm not hurting for damage. Actually enjoying hanging on to my grandmaster cat gear way after it's been eclipsed by random loot . I'm at 72 now, and while I can kill most enemies in one or two hits, most of them can also do the same to me. Makes combat very tense.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 7, 2020

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

lezard_valeth posted:

I'm already lost between having a steel sword for monsters and a silver sword for ghosts

Steel sword is for humans (also elves and dwarves) and mundane beasts (bears, wolves, etc.). Silver is for everything else.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Talk me out of my bad habits - decided to fresh start after not playing for 4 years (went through Heart of Stone) and I find that my instincts tell me to go back to the same ALL BLUE ALL THE TIME build that I was using before to just be the Signs master. I barely touched on Green or Red in my first playthrough and my gut instinct is to hate on Browns as they have no synergy with mutagens.

Alchemy is tough early on as you really don't have a ton to work with, but I could see the benefit of buffing Potions straight out the gate to make better use of Swallow and Tawny right out the gate. I've already dumped about 6 points into Blue (I have a compulsion to max Axii and really shouldn't.) I think the biggest issue I have is that Red is for the swordplay which I think is... fine, not great. And Green is, aside from bombs, mostly about getting more use out of passive buffs so that you don't feel like it's expanding the gameplay as much. Blue, otoh, gives you the sign buffs which give you more (and more powerful) gameplay options AND help with stamina regen -- something I HATE running out of in combat.

Give me a pitch on why investing in those trees (especially Green and Brown) is worth it? I'm not looking to argue back; I'd just love for someone to give me a different take on my obviously wrong logic.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

If all the extra systems are giving you any trouble, feel free to bump down the difficulty. On the lowest setting none of those systems are important at all, and you can always go back up a difficulty setting if you get the hang of things and want to try them out.

Yeah, and also the learning curve plateaus pretty quickly, so you can pay attention to one system at a time until it all becomes pretty second nature for the next 100 hours.

Like oils, most of your enemies will require one of a few oils, and if you're ever unsure you can check the bestiary. If it's an enemy you're running into all the time you probably won't need it anyway.

I will say this game has way too much junk in it and even if you care about crafting it's in no way improved by having a hundred types of trash that may dismantle into something you need but maybe don't.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well alchemy is objectively the strongest build so there's that.

Red for boosting base damage, green for applying crazy multipliers at any and all times.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Using green and red with bear armor techniques you can make geralt into an invincible bomb throwing, potion chugging madman relying on Rend. You stop using stamina and instead cast signs off adrenaline and get even more scaling in those mutagens.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Memnaelar posted:

Talk me out of my bad habits - decided to fresh start after not playing for 4 years (went through Heart of Stone) and I find that my instincts tell me to go back to the same ALL BLUE ALL THE TIME build that I was using before to just be the Signs master. I barely touched on Green or Red in my first playthrough and my gut instinct is to hate on Browns as they have no synergy with mutagens.

Alchemy is tough early on as you really don't have a ton to work with, but I could see the benefit of buffing Potions straight out the gate to make better use of Swallow and Tawny right out the gate. I've already dumped about 6 points into Blue (I have a compulsion to max Axii and really shouldn't.) I think the biggest issue I have is that Red is for the swordplay which I think is... fine, not great. And Green is, aside from bombs, mostly about getting more use out of passive buffs so that you don't feel like it's expanding the gameplay as much. Blue, otoh, gives you the sign buffs which give you more (and more powerful) gameplay options AND help with stamina regen -- something I HATE running out of in combat.

Give me a pitch on why investing in those trees (especially Green and Brown) is worth it? I'm not looking to argue back; I'd just love for someone to give me a different take on my obviously wrong logic.

It really seemed like when I was playing that although Alchemy is the most powerful, you either need to pair it with a strong sword or Sign build to get the most out of it. So I see no problem building up Blue or Red first, and then building your Green tree. For Browns, I only thought the ones that add buffs for wearing all Light (extra sword light attach damage)/Medium (extra sign damage)/Heavy (extra heavy attack sword damage) armor were useful. Adrenaline Burst and Focus are also good for either a sword or signs build, so adding that to an alchemy build would be a boost. Otherwise Brown skills are just for gimmick bomb or crossbow builds, or adding to stats you can increase more efficiently in the Red/Blue/Green trees.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Look Sir Droids posted:

It really seemed like when I was playing that although Alchemy is the most powerful, you either need to pair it with a strong sword or Sign build to get the most out of it. So I see no problem building up Blue or Red first, and then building your Green tree.

This is how I tend to go. I kind of like to go blue first because you can get greater blue mutagen very early, and because I like to get Delusion 3 for dialogue and Exploding Shield + Active Shield for survivability. None of that is strictly necessary, but being able to heal yourself by just letting enemies hit your shield is handy.

Next I go red, because you still have to kill lots of poo poo with your sword. Muscle Memory + Resolve + Precise Blows because I just use fast attack 99% of the time.

Thirdly I go green. There's a ton of fun stuff here really, but Acquired Tolerance is sneaky good for letting you chug tons of drugs and not give a gently caress.

After that it's kind of whatever I feel like. You can just pile on cool green poo poo, or go more passively choppy-choppy with the red skills.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

By the end of my run I was twirl killing mobs on an Adrenaline boosted high while on 3-4 :catdrugs:.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Memnaelar posted:

You're right that the green talents don't do much for you in the early game, but since it takes a pretty long while to get enough skill points and ability slots to really get a build online anyway. You can just start out focusing on the combat tree and maybe a couple of signs. I went down the red tree for whirl and razor focus + alt/exploding quen and improved axi for the first chunk of the game. I added in the green abilities once I started getting decoction and potion recipes that I wanted to use.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A nasty combo is using the brown skill that gives you stamina regen for medium armor pieces, then applying the runewright's medium armor enchantment to the Bear school gear. Enjoy unlimited whirls as you go from a stamina whirl to an adrenaline whirl and then instantly gain back your stamina.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The only other time I beat the game was with bear armor + leaning into strong attacks but playing on death march now I can't imagine leaving yourself open long enough to strong attack and not getting wrecked (at least at lower levels, I just hit ten). Which is a shame because its easily the best-looking armor in the game.

Also was anyone else pissed that they apparently had a sunglasses slot the entire time but didn't use it until Hearts of Stone? Absolute bullshit and I'm already contemplating what kind of trickery I'd have to pull to get to the auction early. I think its after the frog boss which makes 'just use puppet a lot to thin out crowds' probably not viable on the highest difficulty but I'm sure someone's figured it out.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Hell, I'm still salty that the Grandmaster Cat chest piece has that stupid hood.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The enhanced cat set or whichever one is the tactical turtleneck is the best looking set

itry
Aug 23, 2019

iirc, you only need 4 points in green to be able to use 3 to 4 decoctions at the same time. So just throw a handful of points in there and see what happens.

If you're on PC there's a mod to toggle the Cat hood: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/4057

itry fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 7, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hulk Krogan posted:

Hell, I'm still salty that the Grandmaster Cat chest piece has that stupid hood.

Professor Glasses cure the hood.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

itry posted:

iirc, you only need 4 points in green to be able to use 3 to 4 decoctions at the same time. So just throw a handful of points in there and see what happens.

If it's what I'm thinking, you need to know a lot of recipes for that to be possible. So if you're low level, you don't know many recipes and you're not getting as much benefit from that ability. That's basically the main reason why alchemy builds are not useful in the early game. You need to know good potion recipes and use that perk to get the benefits.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, it's definetly a late-ish game investment.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

hobbesmaster posted:

The enhanced cat set or whichever one is the tactical turtleneck is the best looking set

Is there anything in the lore that explains why only witchers have figured out how to make clothes tighter than 'kid wearing dads clothes' or 'slightly too large weed dealer poncho'

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Wolfsheim posted:

Is there anything in the lore that explains why only witchers have figured out how to make clothes tighter than 'kid wearing dads clothes' or 'slightly too large weed dealer poncho'

One of the Witcher mutations is fashion sense.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Peasants are poor and must wear hand-me-downs or whatever they can get their hands on. Soldiers are conscripts and have to wear whatever ill-fitting uniforms the quartermaster assigns them. Nobles measure their nobility by wearing the stupidest possible clothes trying to outfashion each other. There's a few exceptions (Redanian halberdier's armor, maybe), but only witchers are a) wealthy enough to afford their own clothes, b) free of having to wear nationalist livery, and c) practically minded enough to go for function over form.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The worst offense is them never buckling their goddamn armor, it's not like geralt got owned in the loving gut once.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's only the wolf armor and at least he wears a gambeson on the Grandmaster wolf set. Why he wears it under his jacket instead of over it like Vesimir does is a mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's only the wolf armor and at least he wears a gambeson on the Grandmaster wolf set. Why he wears it under his jacket instead of over it like Vesimir does is a mystery.

Lambert and eskel do it too though