Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Submitted without comment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

DarkHorse posted:

Submitted without comment

No, this needs a comment.

HOOISAGOODDOGGIE

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bonnie’s has a slight limp that just won’t go away :ohdear: it’s mostly when she starts off on a walk and then seems to ease. But it’s lasted a couple of weeks now. Vet said she just needs rest and a couple of weeks of nothing but short walks, but it doesn’t seem to be making much of a difference :smith:

Man I really hope it heals up. She loves to run and play so much, I’d hate to see her restricted to slow walks and the like

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sorry to hear that. Did the vet do some orthopedic tests?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Sorry to hear that. Did the vet do some orthopedic tests?
yeah - he seemed fairly confident that it was a soft tissue injury, but he noticed she has a “clicky” ankle on that leg. He said that’s probably nothing to worry about but I’m worried about it anyway :cripes:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

He said that’s probably nothing to worry about but I’m worried about it anyway :cripes:
self quoting because this is probably pet_ownership.txt

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

You could get an x-ray if you really want to find out probably. I assume you are worried about an osteosarcoma.

Do you like in an area that gets snow and ice?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Yeah will probably do that next, although the limp seems more like stiffness than lameness - it usually is worst in the morning or the start of a walk and is basically gone after a few minutes. I don’t *think* that seems consistent with osteosarcoma but you never know i guess

E: I live in ireland so just lots and lots of rain

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I caught this dummy eating a dead bunny a few days ago and now she can’t poo poo. Took her to the e- vet yesterday because I was concerned she was blocked, which fortunately doesn’t appear to be the case based on the rads. Waiting for it to run its course and in the meantime getting woken up every 90 minutes so she can go outside and fart a lot.

Dogs are gross yo.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Mrs. Beekeeper bought herself a pair of pink fuzzy slippers the other day. This is the result:

She should have known better.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I got Abby one of those Himalayan brand chew sticks but it seems to be too tough for her. Is there a way to soften those up?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Usually boiling them for 10 minutes will do the trick

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'll try that, thanks.

bonus winter fashion dog

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Mrs. Beekeeper bought herself a pair of pink fuzzy slippers the other day. This is the result:

She should have known better.

This is the cutest thing

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Sorry for breaking tables there, mobile posting is hard.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Big sweetheart dogs deserve big pictures

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Merry Christmas, ya filthy animals!

(Maybe if I sleep now Christmas will come sooner)

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Mac figured out how to get on the couch.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

trapped under doggos
don’t send help

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

trapped under doggos
don’t send help

:same:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bonnie’s limp is finally gone, seemingly :unsmith: we were as strict as we could be about making her rest, but there’s only so much you can do when they get the zoom madness. going to start letting her take longer routes on walks, and then slowly let her back off lead in wooded areas where she’s not likely to run too much. we’ll see about letting her do sprints in a month or so

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Great to hear!

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

The derp pic of Mac face close up encapsulates all I love about goof hounds. They are the best.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Over the course of the day, Mac has pushed all the blankets onto the floor, including the one we use instead of a slip cover.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Genovera posted:

Over the course of the day, Mac has pushed all the blankets onto the floor, including the one we use instead of a slip cover.

Sparty does the same thing sometimes. Anything on the couch must be scraped off to maximize space for his ridiculous legs.

Then he gets cold because there's nothing warm to cuddle against, and whines like it's our fault

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Thankfully, all my dog does when he's cold is tuck his nose into his limbs, or bury his snoot into the space (or lack thereof) between my back and the couch.

:3:

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 5, 2022

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Genovera posted:

sounds like hard work, he’ll need a good long nap after that

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

jesus WEP posted:

sounds like hard work, he’ll need a good long nap after that

From later that day:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:)

Bonnie is more of a gatherer of blankets, she fluffs them up into a big pile to make a nice pillow

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I was at some greyhound event, I should have let Abby poop before we left, so she had a nice surprise in the car for me. Luckily the drive home was only 15 minutes, but I had to spend the whole time with the smell

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I love all your skinnydogs :3:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bonnie has an accident overnight maybe once a fortnight or so. We changed the rug in our living room, thinking maybe the old one had impossible-to-shift residue that was causing her to think of it as a good pee spot, but she’s peed on the new rug too.

Things I’ve tried: waking her up earlier for walks, letting her out later and later for her last pee, taking her progressively longer walks at night.

I always thought that you should never ever remove a dog’s water bowl, even just overnight, but loads of guides online say this is a pretty standard thing to do to eliminate accidents? It feels like a bad solution to me.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sparty was having lots of accidents, even when we tried to let him out often, and drinking water constantly. Some things we've done to help:

Changed his food to be easier on his kidneys
Gave him probiotics powder to help digestion
Took water away overnight (making sure he got to drink and got let out before then)
Gave him medicine the vet recommended for imcontinence

Things have mostly gotten better, though he still wakes us up early sometimes, and we've started having water free all the time again.

Maybe check with the vet and see if anything is up? Sparty's blood protein was high indicating kidney function issues I think.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My vet said that Abby drinks too much water because her brain is essentially getting confused as she gets older. I have to control how much is available. I only have a little in the bowl when I'm at work, and take it away after her last urination of the day.

I keep a barrier up when I'm sleeping so she can't get out in the middle of the night to pee on the floor in case she feels the need. Every so often I get woken up by her in the middle of the night and take her out. She will never go in the bedroom.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah our problem is Bonnie sleeps downstairs and won’t bark or anything to let us know she wants out (she almost never barks so idk how I would even begin to train her to do that). if she slept in our room it wouldn’t be a problem but it would probably raise a bunch of other ones!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

That kind of surprises me because I always thought greyhounds wanted to sleep next to their owners

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

yeah our problem is Bonnie sleeps downstairs and won’t bark or anything to let us know she wants out (she almost never barks so idk how I would even begin to train her to do that). if she slept in our room it wouldn’t be a problem but it would probably raise a bunch of other ones!

Have you tried something like this:

https://www.rover.com/blog/bell-training-dogs-really-works-heres/

We lucked out with Gello, she'll stand by the stairs and whine if she needs to be let out during the night. I agree with DarkHorse about taking her to the vet to see if there isn't an underlying issue.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

actionjackson posted:

That kind of surprises me because I always thought greyhounds wanted to sleep next to their owners
Bonnie does not know that upstairs exists, or at least that her owners go up there to sleep. as far as she's concerned we just disappear at night and come back in the morning. she doesn't exhibit any other symptoms of separation anxiety, so i don't think the peeing is caused by that

Radiation Cow posted:

Have you tried something like this:

https://www.rover.com/blog/bell-training-dogs-really-works-heres/

We lucked out with Gello, she'll stand by the stairs and whine if she needs to be let out during the night. I agree with DarkHorse about taking her to the vet to see if there isn't an underlying issue.
this is a great idea! i'm gonna buy one right now, thanks! i will talk to the vet as well. i don't *think* there's anything underlying - like I said, this only happens roughly every 2-3 weeks - but you're right, it's worth getting checked out anyway.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why are these lovely breeds such a stupid shaPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

why is your dog giving me come hither eyes

e: the amount of lazy confidence going on here is insane