Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Crazy Achmed posted:

Still loving the level design here, they're really doing some interesting stuff with the shapes of the rooms and obstacles within. The fights seem challenging but fair, if a tad easy (or at least you make them look that way).

There are a lot more shield power-ups this time around, plus you have the converter to top it off. Also there are far fewer homing missile enemies so far, so you're spending less time hiding and looking for a small piece of hit-box to shoot at as opposed to how Descent 1 was played. Also no Vulcan drillers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yup. Descent 2 feels quite a bit like Doom 2, in that both of them are sequels but didn't take the route of "let's make everything new and different". Instead, they seem to have gone much more along the lines of less expansion and more refinement of the original tech and design.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Mercuries are the one classic weapon that's really missing from Overload.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

Mercuries are the one classic weapon that's really missing from Overload.

I think the Falcon++MX missiles get pretty close, although of course they don't sound as cool.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's odd that your co-commentators chose this point, well into the second game, to notice that the self-destruct explosion was always chasing you out of the mine no matter how quickly you got to the exit.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Kudos to you for not turning into a pile of endless rage soaked screaming after the thief bot chumped you. Thrice!

As far as the weird map anomaly by that one yellow door: It is a secret passage and it can be opened via a nearby switch. There's a switch buried pretty far into the drain grate near the door:

It is possible to get guided missiles through the grate but I think the developers intended for the player to smash their ship into that corner and try to snipe it with primary weapons. I don't have the game currently installed so I can't verify this and instead have to rely on 20ish year old memories. Apologies if there's nothing actually in there.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

MOTHER--FFUGNJGOEITHWEIO PTY)(#*{THG9u*p YT23=1YT

Yeah, I just ran into that level to check. There's an Afterburner, a Guided missile, a Smart Missile, a Mega Missile and a Helix in that little passage. And it lets you bypass the Yellow and possibly Blue Keys as well. Speed Run strats!

As for the Thief Bot - I have reached Zen where it is regarded. I shall MURDER THE EVERLOVING poo poo OUT OF IT in the most calm and rational manner possible, detached from all worldly worries.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Other option would be to make a 2 second gif of the thiefbot bouncing around, or just a picture of it but with it's visor animated.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

It really can't be emphasized enough how GORGEOUS this game was for when it came out. The first world was cool, but Quartzon made you go WHOA.

At least the next level has no Thief-Bot? :shobon:

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
The reason doors are always the same size and shape is due to a limitation in the engine. Textures cannot scale. They can rotate and scroll only, and all of them were drawn to fit the face of a 1 unit cube. A door is a wall with a hit trigger and an animated texture. When you open the door, the animation plays and stops on the last frame and the wall becomes pass-through. The animation plays in reverse and stops on frame 0 when the door closes.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

SugarAddict posted:

Other option would be to make a 2 second gif of the thiefbot bouncing around, or just a picture of it but with it's visor animated.

Old game + old meme = Yay?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

And those have joined the second post for fan art! Woo!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Fabulousity posted:

Old game + old meme = Yay?
i'm seeing the sparkles as vulcan shot impacts

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fish Noise posted:

i'm seeing the sparkles as vulcan shot impacts
Same.
Fantastic picture.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
I didn't really have time to say this in the video proper, but I think a faster way of getting the point across that the boss is immune to energy weapons would be to have the boss counterattack with plasma bolts just like the Diamond Claws were doing - that would directly tell the player that hitting it with energy weapons is a bad idea.

Also doesn't help that the Helix Cannon shots exploding on the boss both obscure the purple energy and imply that they're doing damage. They probably should have just disappeared or made an "energy recharge" noise instead.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

I'm pretty sure the first boss with weapon type resistances is the one we find in world 3. In that case and future bosses it makes the invulnerability sound when hit by weapons that can't hurt it. That said I'm not sure what the purple electricity sprite is supposed to indicate when hitting that boss with the helix cannon. It's the same sprite used when robot generators spit out robots but I didn't see any new robots appearing in the video so :confused:

This boss was a bit of a chump with the deadliest thing about it being the arena which might cause an inattentive player to hit a smart mine. The next bosses aren't nearly so docile.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Yeah, someone on the Discord for Rebirth who is watching the videos (and commented on the YouTube) that the purple is it spawning in a new enemy - somewhere in the boss arena. It's the same graphic as the wall-spawners, just larger.

I could have sworn this one was Energy-Immune, but I guess not.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Where are you getting "merculite" from? I can't even find a reference on Google for that name, other than particle physics and Star Trek. I'm honestly curious if there's some lore to it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Because I am a doofus who can't ready "Mercury" correctly.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

It's also a missile type in the Master of Orion series.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
If I remember correctly that door is opened by destroying the reactor. That's why there's an exit in there. It has some decent goodies.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Wow you really got knocked around good at one point there. Descent 2 introduces a new "kamikaze" AI type and I wonder if you had a run in with a bot setup for that among all the mine layers?

Either way with the next set of levels we'll get introduced to the actual bot intended for that type of AI role and it should be a good ol' time! :dance: Before Minecraft had the iconic hiss followed by a boom Descent 2 had something analogous to this followed by a boom.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

This will be the last video until January. I work retail, so I'm sure you all know how that goes. And it's not because this world is a sharp spike in difficulty, and I'm having troubles getting good runs to work with. ;)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm sure you'll find thiefbot nice and relaxing when you get back to the game.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

World 3 maps are BIIIIIIIIG

The Phoenix Cannon is better than I thought it was originally. It's nice to have a cannon that can bounce down corridors without enemies seeing you but it takes getting used to, as it's easy to just shoot yourself in the face.

It's also pretty good in large rooms as you can unload massive DPS and not worry about the rebound.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Ouch, my sympathies. And that's before taking the holidays into account.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

That's one of those levels that makes me glad I never got all the way through Descent 2.

Also, Speedball is an appropriate name.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

The real Descent 2 starts here. The Omega bots suck, but you'll know there coming and hear their screams IN YOUR DREAMS :unsmigghh:

I forgot the energy siphon bots existed, oof

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I don't know about descent 2 but I did find this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD5BTUjVCtw
Nonstop terrifying berserk charging around the mines at an angle where you can't quite see where you are going

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, here we go, kamikaze fishbots. The one enemy you're guaranteed to remember.
e: I really like the bit where they spawn an energy bandit behind you to push you into a minefield. Such a 90s shooter move.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 7, 2020

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Crazy Achmed posted:

I don't know about descent 2 but I did find this:
Nonstop terrifying berserk charging around the mines at an angle where you can't quite see where you are going

Same guy did Descent 2 a few years later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1xC0y4DjvQ

I remembered that force field "hallway" but thought it showed up way later in the campaign like around level 20ish. Unless there's another one later on? Seems like too fun of a gimmick for the developers to have only used it once.

If you come across another see if you can fly through it without touching any of the force fields while charging the fusion cannon the whole time.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Fabulousity posted:

If you come across another see if you can fly through it without touching any of the force fields while charging the fusion cannon the whole time.

No.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

The banner has a typo; it's "Magnacore Station". The YouTube video has the correct title. Understandable and easy typo though.

EDIT:

I hope we get to use more Mega missiles in the future. This game has plenty of explosions but it could use some more REALLY BIG explosions.

Leylite fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Leylite posted:

I hope we get to use more Mega missiles in the future. This game has plenty of explosions but it could use some more REALLY BIG explosions.

Don't play coy, you know what's coming :unsmigghh:

This video also made me realize that during the mine exit sequence textures that should be self lighting like lava also pulse between their normal lighting level and black. I wonder if that's a game design oversight because it'd be a neat level design gimmick to lead the player to an exit using always lit textures like that. I can't remember if the engine treats all lava textures as full bright or you have to set them that way during level design. I want to say it's the latter but without reinstalling the game I dunno. Will any of the level editors work on x64 today?