Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Does anyone know the deal w/ the Blofeld outputs? One of them is labelled "stereo" and I'm wondering if it's a TRS out (so I could put a splitter cable in)? Manual is unfortunately vague.

e: Gearslutz said yes; its apparently similar to the headphone out w/ less noise. Interesting!

JamesKPolk fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8NVBHmQfRw

(presenter drops his non-gender-specific sex organs on the table at 0:46)

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
https://soundcloud.com/rid_labs/well-tempered-clavier-fugue-and-prelude-in-c-major-werckmeister-3-tuning

The Well-Bonered Clavier

Fugue and Prelude in C # Major

Werckmeister 3 tuning

Plouge ChipsynthMD providing that 4op Genesis sound.

Yes, the Megadrive sound chip was better than the SNES's.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Yes of course, but he so easily makes it sing sounds so different from the usual genesis tracks that I wonder if the composers were limited by some presets or just remaining conservative in the sounds they were using.

I know nothing about FM also, besides the basics.

I know at some point SEGA distributed presets to the composers, but I can't find the video about it at the moment.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Good Sphere posted:

I would so badly for my Korg volcas to work with a 1 Spot. I have a polarity converter. I know that would be step once since the volcas work in opposite polarity. How about the barrel size? Is there a connecter I can put on that converts the barrel size to on that fits into the volca? Is there an AC to DC conversion that needs to happen?

Also, if you were wondering about the polarity adapter, I got this one. It results in the same barrel size: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004EBG5QE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NLPdEbBKQNXSM

not a direction solution, but i ended up with this guy for powering a few volcas from one outlet.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

So Math posted:

I know at some point SEGA distributed presets to the composers, but I can't find the video about it at the moment.

It was a software commissioned by Sega of America called GEMS (Genesis Editor for Music and Sound effects). It's pretty much the reason the Genesis has such a bad reputation with regards to sound since a ton of western developed games ended up using it after it was introduced.

Here's a big list of games that used it: https://segaretro.org/GEMS

In comparison a large majority of the well regarded soundtracks on the Genesis were in Japanese developed games and the music was programmed on the PC-88 instead of whatever GEMS used.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Had concerted efforts and timelines not been so utterly bungled, the peak of that generation of FM on Sega hardware would've come from a properly timed and supported 32x---as it greatly unburdened the Genesis outright IF SO USED as otherwise PC-8/9X was the only refuge that could be leveraged as it wasn't like custom arcade setups could be availed. The Saturn then would've marked a proper leap into a next gen FM paradigm...as opposed to the history we actually got where despite it being capable, slim to nobody took any advantage of it as everybody went all in with sampling parity keeping the PS1 in mind and thus meaningful sound/synth tech died in the console space from the DC onward.

Key failings in timing and order of operations on top of failures of biz and ambition at SEGA and YAMAHA quite literally changed the prevailing soundscape of the future---saddest death since SID. Nintendo gets a special mention as they could've stopped them from dooming themselves via proper competition to keep them in check had they not smothered their own VRC tech initiative with the latter day Famicom/NES unto the SNES gen to cultivate loathsome sonic homogeneity.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I'm... actually surprised it sounds so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0kq0yCTpNE

You can go pocket sized with this now
https://www.tindie.com/products/kassersynths/dafm-synth-genesis-ym2612-ym3438/

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

You can also step into the virtual realm. :pcgaming:

https://www.plogue.com/products/chipsynth-md.html

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 7, 2020

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I mean sure, but it's not one-knob-per-function, now, is it?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

As some with an unhealthy love of digital pad sounds I'm going to have a hard time passing that up unless something else cool gets announced in early 2020. Another octave would have been nice given that particular use but that's what sequencers and external keyboards are for I guess. I still love some of the pads on my old Korg X3 so this is gonna be hard to resist.

Also my TD-3 arrived at the local shop; looks like I have some squelchy bass goings on this weekend once I can get out there and pick it up.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Really loving the sound of the Wavestate from the zillion videos that all popped up of people jamming on the presets. It’s all giving me major CD-ROM game vibes. Like, Burn:Cycle or The Journeyman Project.

These wave sequences would sound totally appropriate behind some aimless clicking around on a grody-looking pre-rendered image of a futuristic boiler room looking for a data disc full of incriminating computer programs.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah really loving that sound. Looks like it's around $800

edit: Just got my Keylab 61 Essentials in. Kinda wish I would have sprung for the Mkii premium model instead for a better keybed, but it'll do as a bigger controller. Would love to eventually add a microfreak and this wavestation to round out my collection of instruments I'll never do anything with

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 8, 2020

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Really loving the sound of the Wavestate from the zillion videos that all popped up of people jamming on the presets. It’s all giving me major CD-ROM game vibes. Like, Burn:Cycle or The Journeyman Project.

These wave sequences would sound totally appropriate behind some aimless clicking around on a grody-looking pre-rendered image of a futuristic boiler room looking for a data disc full of incriminating computer programs.

I'm barely competent with the Minilogue dammit, and yet I "need" this

BonoMan posted:

edit: Just got my Keylab 61 Essentials in. Kinda wish I would have sprung for the Mkii premium model instead for a better keybed, but it'll do as a bigger controller. Would love to eventually add a microfreak and this wavestation to round out my collection of instruments I'll never do anything with

I haven't pulled the trigger on the Keylab yet - I measured my space and it would be extremely tight, so I'm still looking at moving the space around.

That being said, if you're mutilating sounds, you're using your gear. This is how I justify it to myself. Sometimes I even record it (and don't share it)!

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 8, 2020

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
The wavestate is one of very few new synths I've heard that I don't feel I could get close to with my 90s era VA.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The Korg SV 2 dropped. Now it comes with speakers! For $2200!

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Apparently the worst kept secret is the ARP 2600 is coming out. I guess they released the Wavestate Early to not have it get trampled underfoot.

Can't say the 2600 is any particular dream synth for me but it'll get people excited if they can handle what sounds like a hefty price tag.

Also, this might sound petty but I liked it when the music bloggers got their gear at the same time as everyone else - when you were among the first people to use new gear you got a nice bump in views and sometimes subscribers for it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

stillvisions posted:

Apparently the worst kept secret is the ARP 2600 is coming out. I guess they released the Wavestate Early to not have it get trampled underfoot.

Can't say the 2600 is any particular dream synth for me but it'll get people excited if they can handle what sounds like a hefty price tag.

Also, this might sound petty but I liked it when the music bloggers got their gear at the same time as everyone else - when you were among the first people to use new gear you got a nice bump in views and sometimes subscribers for it.

My issue with it, as someone who doesn't do videos myself, is that reviewers tend to change once they're essentially getting sponsored by manufacturers. Some music bloggers aren't too egregious about it, but I feel like a lot of them, once they start getting synths to demo straight from the manufacturers, they (understandably, from a YT business perspective) just kind of stop being as critical about anything. Not that I was aware of anybody who was tearing synths to shreds, verbally speaking, that did a complete 180, but at least the people I paid attention to were a little more willing to say "I like x, but y is really frustrating and probably makes me less likely to use this regularly" before they were given gear pre-release. Like I said, not to a terrible degree, but enough that I feel like a lot of the reviewers I used to go to just aren't as useful anymore.

I do appreciate that I will always get excruciating detail and only occasional embarrassed enthusiasm from pretty much every Nick Batt review, regardless of what it is

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Yeah kind of hard for a youtuber to stay on the manufacturers' beta freebie shortlist if their general tone is "your synth sucks". The only regular reviewer I'm aware of who regularly goes there is Jexus, and he's more like "this synth sucks, now here are some crazy patches to teach you, the viewer, that the true suckage was inside you all along".

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I thought y'all were misspelling the WaveStation but this is a new synth :eyepop:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

snorch posted:

Yeah kind of hard for a youtuber to stay on the manufacturers' beta freebie shortlist if their general tone is "your synth sucks". The only regular reviewer I'm aware of who regularly goes there is Jexus, and he's more like "this synth sucks, now here are some crazy patches to teach you, the viewer, that the true suckage was inside you all along".

Welcome to Capitalism Bastardizes the Truth Yet Again, I'm your host rickiep00h.

Loopop seems pretty good about "This is something severely lacking or even bad about this piece of kit" and so does BoBeats, though the latter fairly recently went full-time 'tubing and I feel like maybe there's a little more "optimism" in some of his reviews now.

One thing I like, particularly about loopop, is when people just dig and dig through a synth or module or whatever to make it do something crazy even if it seems straightforward or bad. And that's kind of what you're saying here, but for me it's less about the review--should I buy this or not--and more about the same feeling I get watching weird videogame bugs or speedruns or something. Even if I have no intention of buying a thing, and I almost never do because I'm poor as gently caress and my Modular Grid "moderately basic" setup runs like $4200 more than what I already have, I just enjoy watching people break things over their knee.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I did the fugue to go with the prelude. https://jocko-homomorphism.bandcamp.com/album/if-it-aint-baroque

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

a mysterious cloak posted:

That being said, if you're mutilating sounds, you're using your gear. This is how I justify it to myself. Sometimes I even record it (and don't share it)!

honestly i feel like the construct of creating songs and putting out a product is a bunch of capitalist crap. the amount of enjoyment i get from creating and tweaking sequences in the moment eclipse the satisfaction of a finished track, which requires painstaking arrangement and composition in front of a computer, ie, work. i hate for my hobby to feel like work, i wanna play with instruments

that said i'm working on an ableton template for my rig that would essentially automate the bulk of the tedious arrangement portion and minimize my interaction with the screen. i guess that leans towards a bias of "sound design" over "music" which i'm totally ok with as a mostly techno guy. anyone else ever try to do this? i feel like ai has some potential here too in randomizing when certain kinds of elements come in, how they come in, etc, it'd be cool if there are song templates available rather than sample/loop packs

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

For sure, right now I'm just enjoying learning synth stuff and exploring. I've recorded a few things, mostly just stuff that I want to use for manipulating in Reaper, although there are 2 or 3 things I'm hanging on to that could be something song-like.

That, and reading more and more about Eurorack. It looks so fun but urrrrrk the buy in cost...

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Welp, just put in a preorder on a Wavestate. I have the absolute worst GAS when it comes to synths so I've held off on buying anything for a good while, but this is genuinely the first synth to come along that I could look at and honestly say that nothing else I have does what it does, sonically or practically speaking. As opposed to most of my synth purchases, which have largely been incremental improvements to what I had before, when you get right down to it.

Also yeah, as a chronic GAS patient I might not be the best advocate, but I also agree that you shouldn't let the internet or people looking to sell you equipment dictate how you use the gear you have. If just interacting with it and turning knobs gives you satisfaction, then that's great! Keep doing that and if it's genuinely important to you that you put together an album or EP or score a short film or video game or whatever, I guarantee you'll gravitate in that direction naturally. When I started out, I really got bombarded with well-meaning advice to make sure I was actually completing songs and mastering them and releasing them or whatever, which is generally good advice if your end goal is to produce and distribute music which just isn't the case for everyone. It kind of made me a worse, less productive perfectionist than I already was, because I was holding myself up to a standard that was both unrealistic and unfit to my actual goals. That said, I was young and dumb and desperate so it might have worked out for someone a little more level-headed than me.

The flipside is, there's always the danger of becoming the person who just buys gear because they think it'll make them more likely to use the gear and make music or whatever, out of some sort of weird self-inflicted sunk cost fallacy. Don't do that either!

edit: this isn't directed at any one person or post in particular, it just relates to recent posts and has been on my mind lately

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

MockingQuantum posted:

Welp, just put in a preorder on a Wavestate. I have the absolute worst GAS when it comes to synths so I've held off on buying anything for a good while, but this is genuinely the first synth to come along that I could look at and honestly say that nothing else I have does what it does, sonically or practically speaking. As opposed to most of my synth purchases, which have largely been incremental improvements to what I had before, when you get right down to it.

Also yeah, as a chronic GAS patient I might not be the best advocate, but I also agree that you shouldn't let the internet or people looking to sell you equipment dictate how you use the gear you have. If just interacting with it and turning knobs gives you satisfaction, then that's great! Keep doing that and if it's genuinely important to you that you put together an album or EP or score a short film or video game or whatever, I guarantee you'll gravitate in that direction naturally. When I started out, I really got bombarded with well-meaning advice to make sure I was actually completing songs and mastering them and releasing them or whatever, which is generally good advice if your end goal is to produce and distribute music which just isn't the case for everyone. It kind of made me a worse, less productive perfectionist than I already was, because I was holding myself up to a standard that was both unrealistic and unfit to my actual goals. That said, I was young and dumb and desperate so it might have worked out for someone a little more level-headed than me.

The flipside is, there's always the danger of becoming the person who just buys gear because they think it'll make them more likely to use the gear and make music or whatever, out of some sort of weird self-inflicted sunk cost fallacy. Don't do that either!

edit: this isn't directed at any one person or post in particular, it just relates to recent posts and has been on my mind lately

I think the big thing is being honest and okay with what you're doing with your gear. There's nothing wrong with buying gear because you like to play with knobs and make weird sounds for you and you alone. It's also okay to want to buy gear to make songs to share. I think the big problem with a lot of people is they're in the former category but are still trying to fool themselves they're in the latter, and that just makes them unhappy or leads them to the sunk cost conclusion that the next purchase will let them accomplish their goal. It's even sadder because I've seen forums and discussions where these self-described producers practically chased off anyone who pointed out the elephant in the room that most of the people on there were really just hobbyists having fun, because they were wasting their money by not using this gear in the "approved" way.

I saw the extreme version of GAS back in the day when I joined a music apps group back in the early days of people taking iPad/iPhone music-making seriously. People would rave about every soon-to-be-released music app about being the missing link that would let them *finally* complete that chain so they could make the music they were going to make. People were showing their iPads full of literally hundreds of music apps and still saying they didn't have enough.

And every single time, they decided that clearly that app was missing yet another microscopic feature they so desperately needed, and therefore their magnum opus was once again delayed. It was GAS on microtransaction mode and it was frankly depressing because the forum was so full of anger and defeat and meanwhile a small group of people were actually making music with apps.

For a lot of people, a piece of music gear is a lottery ticket for their dream of becoming a well-respected or famous musician or whatnot, and that is a fun little fantasy, but it should be treated as such - a fantasy. Being real about what you're doing with it is important and much healthier, as is trying to divorce ourselves from the notion that our hobbies have to be productive and its fruits are to be enjoyed by others to make it "good".

I have the TD-3 to pick up tonight, and I purchased it because it'd be fun to set it off playing wacky random basslines, that's all. The Wavestate will probably be purchased as well because it seems like a fun way to fill a room with pad sounds and 90's era digital bullshit. I have one job and as much as making music is fun, I don't plan on making that a second, and I'm okay with that. I'm pretty sure I'm good for the next while otherwise pending any insane surprises.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

stillvisions posted:

I think the big thing is being honest and okay with what you're doing with your gear. There's nothing wrong with buying gear because you like to play with knobs and make weird sounds for you and you alone. It's also okay to want to buy gear to make songs to share. I think the big problem with a lot of people is they're in the former category but are still trying to fool themselves they're in the latter, and that just makes them unhappy or leads them to the sunk cost conclusion that the next purchase will let them accomplish their goal. It's even sadder because I've seen forums and discussions where these self-described producers practically chased off anyone who pointed out the elephant in the room that most of the people on there were really just hobbyists having fun, because they were wasting their money by not using this gear in the "approved" way.

I saw the extreme version of GAS back in the day when I joined a music apps group back in the early days of people taking iPad/iPhone music-making seriously. People would rave about every soon-to-be-released music app about being the missing link that would let them *finally* complete that chain so they could make the music they were going to make. People were showing their iPads full of literally hundreds of music apps and still saying they didn't have enough.

And every single time, they decided that clearly that app was missing yet another microscopic feature they so desperately needed, and therefore their magnum opus was once again delayed. It was GAS on microtransaction mode and it was frankly depressing because the forum was so full of anger and defeat and meanwhile a small group of people were actually making music with apps.

For a lot of people, a piece of music gear is a lottery ticket for their dream of becoming a well-respected or famous musician or whatnot, and that is a fun little fantasy, but it should be treated as such - a fantasy. Being real about what you're doing with it is important and much healthier, as is trying to divorce ourselves from the notion that our hobbies have to be productive and its fruits are to be enjoyed by others to make it "good".

I have the TD-3 to pick up tonight, and I purchased it because it'd be fun to set it off playing wacky random basslines, that's all. The Wavestate will probably be purchased as well because it seems like a fun way to fill a room with pad sounds and 90's era digital bullshit. I have one job and as much as making music is fun, I don't plan on making that a second, and I'm okay with that. I'm pretty sure I'm good for the next while otherwise pending any insane surprises.

This is a good post.

For me personally it's a time issue. I have two kids, with the second only 6 months old and a very demanding job. I've always wanted to make music (for myself, no dreams or aspirations of doing anything with a band or whatever) as a creative outlet. But I've gotten stuck in this weird spot. My job enables me to have the cash to finally buy what I want... but it also deprives me of the time. Coupled with my family and turning 40 and having a little "I'm running out of time" crisis I just feel like I can't reach the destination of "being able to sit down with my instruments for any meaningful time." It's like a bad dream where you're always running through quickstand never reaching the destination.

BUT! I've come up with an idea. We're expanding offices at work. Adding some new ones. So I'm designating one a sort of war room for music. I have brought all of my stuff up to work and coupled with a drummer and other guitarist here, we're going to create a room for us to just gently caress around and make random poo poo with. I think that will actually allot me some time and maybe even give me some small goals to work towards.

As for doing it at home... technically I could always do something after the kids go to bed but since hitting 40 I'm just so dead tired by that point it's kind of pointless. Also my children have fully taken over the only extra room that had the instruments in there.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

spider wisdom posted:

not a direction solution, but i ended up with this guy for powering a few volcas from one outlet.

My solution is working great now. I have a polarity adapter and barrel adapter each for two volcas and a Monologue, and then nothing except for the plain connection to the one Spot for two Korg SMK2's. Happy to have all this stuff working off one OneSpot.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Pillow Face posted:

honestly i feel like the construct of creating songs and putting out a product is a bunch of capitalist crap. the amount of enjoyment i get from creating and tweaking sequences in the moment eclipse the satisfaction of a finished track, which requires painstaking arrangement and composition in front of a computer, ie, work. i hate for my hobby to feel like work, i wanna play with instruments

that said i'm working on an ableton template for my rig that would essentially automate the bulk of the tedious arrangement portion and minimize my interaction with the screen. i guess that leans towards a bias of "sound design" over "music" which i'm totally ok with as a mostly techno guy. anyone else ever try to do this? i feel like ai has some potential here too in randomizing when certain kinds of elements come in, how they come in, etc, it'd be cool if there are song templates available rather than sample/loop packs

What you want is to go eurorack and just play live tweaking knobs and having fun. Look, I just got a new module this afternoon and this is me having fun with it. Not trying to make a polished track, just having fun and recording it so I can listen to it again and get feedback. It's not mastered, not perfect, but I don't care because it's just me having fun twisting knobs and banging my head.

https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/lorem-ipsum-vol2

The funny part is the live noodling. If you don't plan to make money with your hobby, just stop there.

e: you don't need eurorack for that though. You just need a live setup, trying to get away from the computer. What got me into synths were volcas and I'm still amazed to hear what some people do with a few of them, or pocket operators or whatever, some pedals and a mixer. Honestly it's all you need. I recommended eurorack mainly because it lets you automate a lot of stuff without the need of a computer, plus it encourages you to be creative with what you have.

You can always go more professional but then you need to ask yourself why you are doing it.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 10, 2020

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Sweetwater dude tells me end of the month my TD3 will ship.

Yeah.

ugh.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

BonoMan posted:

BUT! I've come up with an idea. We're expanding offices at work. Adding some new ones. So I'm designating one a sort of war room for music. I have brought all of my stuff up to work and coupled with a drummer and other guitarist here, we're going to create a room for us to just gently caress around and make random poo poo with. I think that will actually allot me some time and maybe even give me some small goals to work towards.

I've been moving toward something similar - I've got an old audio interface I'm leaving at work so I can arrange stems from home or listen to potential mixes at the office. I'll probably leave a drum machine or such that isn't getting major use at my office as well so I can fiddle when I need a break. Nobody in my chain of command is even in the same country as me, so it's not like the boss is going to walk in on me making robot fart sounds.

Philthy posted:

Yeah.

ugh.

Yeah, Behringer is all over the board there. The TD3s came in here, but the 808 clones he says to not expect until April at least. Glad I didn't pre-order one of them.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Philthy posted:

Yeah.

ugh.

Yeah ship from China to the UK in a big ol' container, where it will sit in customs for a couple weeks before being stamped and shipped to the US where it will sit in customs for a few more weeks before being shipped to a warehouse in the middle of the country where it will be removed from the container and repacked for shipping before being loaded onto a truck and delivered to a distribution center and finally shipped a couple weeks after that.

What's up April/May TD3 buddy? I see you got the first round of preorders in as well.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah ship from China to the UK in a big ol' container, where it will sit in customs for a couple weeks before being stamped and shipped to the US where it will sit in customs for a few more weeks before being shipped to a warehouse in the middle of the country where it will be removed from the container and repacked for shipping before being loaded onto a truck and delivered to a distribution center and finally shipped a couple weeks after that.

What's up April/May TD3 buddy? I see you got the first round of preorders in as well.

Lol if I get my Wavestate before you guys get your TD3s. Sweetwater rep was understandably vague, but thinks I'll get it sometime in March

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MockingQuantum posted:

Lol if I get my Wavestate before you guys get your TD3s. Sweetwater rep was understandably vague, but thinks I'll get it sometime in March

When I last checked that's about when my Sweetwater rep said I could expect my TD3 so you very well might get your Wavestate first.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

MockingQuantum posted:

Local shop here said they were told by end of February for the Wavestate so that seems about right.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

stillvisions posted:

Local shop here said they were told by end of February for the Wavestate so that seems about right.

Yeah that's basically what I got. He said they've gotten indications from Korg that they'll be ready to ship after NAMM but there are always delays and a few weeks turnaround on the first shipment, plus I'm far from the first one on the list, I'd imagine.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I'm still waiting for the Pikachu edition to come out.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

stillvisions posted:

Yeah this is a good post. I'm in my late 30s, and only really learning how to actually make songs properly as a way of doing justice to my 12-year-old self hammering away at modedit but not quite having the music theory to really make anything. Also learning how to make music is kinda fun if you just enjoy picking up new skills. There's absolutely no way I'll become famous, and I probably won't even end up releasing anything I make, but hell if it isn't fun.

But I will admit to a certain amount of buying gear for the sunk cost fallacy, because it does work. Mostly it's been software, though, and mostly just things that I can identify a need for to build up a core set of tools, and then only when they're on sale.

I will confess to having got my fiancee to get me a couple of pocket operators for Christmas, and those are hella fun too.

I'll also confess to having ordered a tongue drum, after playing one over new years, because those are also hella fun and easy to just plonk around on. It's also likely to be one of the less discordant things you can hand to a three-year-old. (I also recently got to see some friends' three-year-old twins making a gloriously unmusical cacophony with a shaker, a piano and their voices.)

Make music. Have fun. Buy the tools that enable the most fun. Put in the practice to get the skills that enable the most fun. Try not to take it too seriously.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
One fun thing I actually did make. I interviewed for a job as a CG artist for a planetarium. I had to do a CG skills assessment by animating this bit talking about the sun and moon's shadows. I added a synth backing track to it so that was awesome.

I got offered the job and had to say no because we couldn't get there on the money. Man I regret that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnapo
Mar 8, 2014
Inspired by this thread, I also covered some classical music for Jamuary.