Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
From some reviewer:

quote:

What's fascinating about Exodus from a modern day perspective is its treatment of the whole Arab-Israeli conflict (and, yes, the Jews making aliyah weren't yet officially "Israeli"). Is Trumbo's screenplay perfectly even handed? Probably not, though it's notable that he at least offers one sympathetic Arab, a mukhtar named Taha (a probably miscast Jon Derek) who is a lifelong friend of Ari's. However, most of the rest of the portrayal of Arabs may be understandably thought of as one dimensional and even politically incorrect (in both senses of that term). What underlies all of this formulation, though, is the central tenet that the British were (in some ways at least) the "real" villains of the piece, though perhaps unintentionally.

For real events:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Palestinian_exodus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BonoMan posted:

Well it's a catch 22 because in this instance just knowing the name of the movie is part of the spoiler. If it was a single detail that's one thing but when the question is "hey what movie does this potentially unexpected thing?" then just knowing the name of the movie under the text can spoil it for those that haven't seen it yet.

Maybe something like "I'm looking for movies that have spoiling element similiar to Movie ... Please spoiler tag your answers tia"

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

got any sevens posted:

From some reviewer:
I haven't seen the movie but the book is super racist against Palestinians specifically and practically all Arabs more generally.

Krankenstyle posted:

Maybe something like "I'm looking for movies that have spoiling element similiar to Movie ... Please spoiler tag your answers tia"
This works except that if someone accidentally sees the spoiler then that spoils every single movie for them, whereas with the current approach, if the accidentally read a spoiler, that only spoils that particular movie.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mierenneuker posted:

I want to know more movies that have the fantasy of a happy ending, but then show you that's not how it is.

Movies that prompted this post:
Brazil
25th Hour
La La Land

Recent movie, still airing in cinemas: Bong Joon-ho's Parasite

Since it's directly about endings I put the titles in spoiler tags. Feel free to the same, regardless of how old the movie is.

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This works except that if someone accidentally sees the spoiler then that spoils every single movie for them, whereas with the current approach, if the accidentally read a spoiler, that only spoils that particular movie.

i dont think it would necessarily, cause they dont know what X from movie Y is in common with whatever movie spoiler they moused over? Could be the use of cross-narratives, final twists, what have you

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
does anyone happen to know what brand of clothes Al Leong was wearing in Die Hard?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Honestly it reminds me of Z. Cavaricci clothing from that era

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I watched the Moth Diaries last weekend and was really confused about Ernessa. Was she a vampire, or a ghost or a vampire that died and turned into a ghost?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
She was a moth.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Reading reviews of "Uncut Gems" and realized I'd never heard of the Safdie Brothers. Their last movie "Good Time" looks interesting. Anybody seen it?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Reading reviews of "Uncut Gems" and realized I'd never heard of the Safdie Brothers. Their last movie "Good Time" looks interesting. Anybody seen it?
It's a great movie.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it’s a lot of fun for sure, and I think I’m one of the people who wasn’t quite as hyped as a lot.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Heaven Knows What is good too.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Good Time is very good and is streaming with Amazon Prime in the US if you have it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Their Lenny Cooke documentary is also good

They are good

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What's the earliest example of a scene where some kind of investigator or law enforcer tells their subordinates they want to know everything about a target and starts rhyming off examples that get ever more ridiculous? Like "I wanna know his blood type, his favourite kind of pie, how many kernels of corn were in his turd this morning" etc.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Dunno if it was the first but The Fugitive has a good one like that in the middle

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Hudsucker Proxy (94) had a similar scene, but it’s a newspaper editor reading off a line of things to find out. So not an criminal investigator, but similar context.

Didn’t Superman (78) have a scene where Perry is reading off a list of questions he wants answered about Superman?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Lobok posted:

What's the earliest example of a scene where some kind of investigator or law enforcer tells their subordinates they want to know everything about a target and starts rhyming off examples that get ever more ridiculous? Like "I wanna know his blood type, his favourite kind of pie, how many kernels of corn were in his turd this morning" etc.

Citizen Kane

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

There is an effect I know I've seen in martial arts, blaxploitation, and general 60s/70s film trailers and posters. Basically it's when a character is frozen in a silhouette, then a border kinda expands around them in one color, followed by another border in a similar/same color, and so on and so on until that fills the whole screen/poster. I feel like I've seen this everywhere, but I can't seem to find it when searching. I'm no artist so excuse the uh, badness of the example but it looks something like this;

If the effect has a name, that'd be rad, but even some examples of it in film would be wonderful. Thanks

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Not sure what the motion effect is called but it kinda reminds me of Keith Haring’s artwork.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Haring

http://www.haring.com

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Maybe it came out of people discovering video effects like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk
and then applying that idea to animation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe it came out of people discovering video effects like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk
and then applying that idea to animation.

I think it predates that as an animation, the EWF song is from 78 and I think it's been in use since the 60s (well before digital video was in common use.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Somehow I missed the fact that they made 4 Terminator movies after T2.

Should I catch up with those?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
T3 is OK

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
2/3rds of T4 isn’t awful.

T3 is underrated. It has a good ending.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
T3 is like alien 3: a completely unnecessary cash-in sequel that pisses over the previous film's ending

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
T3, Salvation, and Gensys all suffer from trying to do the original/T2 but more. Or just rehashing it. They each have moments but never fully escape their predecessors' shadows (then again, those are some pretty large shadows).

Haven't seen Dark Fate.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I remember Salvation being not bad, and at least it does something none of the other sequels did, which was trying something different. It wasn't a rehash of 2 like literally all of the other films in the franchise have been.

It's not great, but not terrible. And the trailer for it was incredible.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The first Terminator is the best one.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The first Terminator is the best slasher movie.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

its super good

Parachute
May 18, 2003
the show was better than all of the movies after 2 combined (i havent seen the newest one yet) and lena headey was a great sarah connor

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The show was bad but not as bad as the movies.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
my praise is definitely faint lol. aside from a couple good things like the 9/11 scene, headey as sarah, and a couple other fun "what if a terminator..." vignette episodes it was mostly not great. the show did get cancelled right as it started to segue in to some more interesting stuff though.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Well I've been talked out of watching any of them.

Maybe ill just read the wiki

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Terminator is only good through the lens of 80s nostalgia when our grasp on provocative modern sci-fi was still, relatively, in its infancy. It's not good now - not because filmmakers are unable to do something cool with it - but because it inherently is a childish fantasy. It's literally just cool fighting robots with laser guns. Just let T1 and T2 exist, ignore the rest and abandon the franchise.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For someone who grew up with Arnold as the biggest movie star in the world and T2 as the biggest and best action movie that'd ever come along up to that point, I think Terminator 3 is worthy of being considered part of the "original run" of the series when it still felt like a big deal and Arnold was still Arnold. Only with Salvation, when Arnold was semi-retired and the series started going off in different directions did I feel like the magic had been lost.

So I'd say watch Terminator 3, it feels like a pretty fitting end to what I think of as a mostly coherent trilogy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Terminator 3 isn't bad, it's just ... very aggressively mediocre, in large part because it's essentially a remake of Terminator 2. But it has good aspects to it. Nick Stahl and Claire Danes are generally very good, Beltrami's score is good, some of the set pieces are excellent. Unfortunately, there are some really, really bad attempts at humor that don't land and Kristanna Loken is a black hole of charisma.

There's also a bit with Arnold hammering the poo poo out of a truck hood, just pounding his fists into it over and over again, and he has the doofiest loving stare as it's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

There's also a bit with Arnold hammering the poo poo out of a truck hood, just pounding his fists into it over and over again, and he has the doofiest loving stare as it's happening.

YOU ARE ABOUT TO FAIL THAT MISSION

T3 had a pretty strong trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZQJYs7z-vs