Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Turned my signed job offer in yesterday.

This morning I got to piss in a cup and get poked and prodded at 7:30am. Hopefully I am fit to go to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

This morning I got to piss in a cup and get poked and prodded at 7:30am. Hopefully I am fit to go to work.

Your boss is the type of boss who will implode. Can't wait.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sickening posted:

Your boss is the type of boss who will implode. Can't wait.

I can't wait to see Bob's quitting stories!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Steakandchips posted:

I can't wait to see Bob's quitting stories!

I'm more waiting for stories of the after-effects, since Bob seems to be the only one with two brain cells to rub together.

That email about "well the old dev's code is hard to decipher so we're not gonna do anything the right way" made me want to scream until I pass out. :suicide:

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Bob Morales posted:

:parrot:

Bob Morales posted:

This morning I got to piss in a cup and get poked and prodded at 7:30am.
We're not interested in your sex life, but it's a fun way to celebrate, I guess.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This could be a great company. They're spending a ton of money on a new site, they make a ton of money, they are decently sized (300-400 employees). They have great healthcare (fully paid).

The main problem with this place is that there isn't much direction, at any level. So if you want to do something, or change something, you just do it. You become in charge of it. Nobody will ever delegate something to you. You have to take it.

The other guys in the department don't get that. I suggest changes and improvements to them, they understand why it would be better, but they just don't do it. They're scared of the boss or won't lift a finger unless he tells them to.

We have a guy who's been here for 10 loving years and doesn't understand subnets. And that's who's setting up the network at the new site. We're still writing PHP/VB like it's the stone age, no safe coding practices, no tests, no deployment. We just started using git/docker this year when I took the web poo poo over. We are supposedly ordering some servers to run AD, but that was only because I never stopped kicking that can down the road in the 15 months I've been here. I got these fucks to start using things like patch panels and stranded cable.

%s/we/they/g

I'm just trying to decide if I want to bother explaining all this in the exit interview or not. They are 15 years behind and will never get past that until they make some changes. I'd almost suggest they have a MSP come in and do a basic audit or what not so that they can get a second opinion and not 'bob is just saying that because he's leaving'

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I'm just trying to decide if I want to bother explaining all this in the exit interview or not. They are 15 years behind and will never get past that until they make some changes. I'd almost suggest they have a MSP come in and do a basic audit or what not so that they can get a second opinion and not 'bob is just saying that because he's leaving'

This would be a waste of your breath.

Just quit and post the meltdown your boss has, and subsequent problems that arise later on.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

Are there any management staff you trust in receive and accept positive criticism on the issues you are going to mention? If you feel like there is none, just let them stay in their old ways and save yourself some time/effort

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

Are there any management staff you trust in receive and accept positive criticism on the issues you are going to mention? If you feel like there is none, just let them stay in their old ways and save yourself some time/effort

Yea, I've already been told by one of the higher ups that his time is coming.

I understand the exit interviews are usually a waste of time.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Think it's gonna have to be a :yotj: for me this year. We just got asked to cut a million bucks out of our budget of 3.3mm. A full third. Considering that we spend about a million on licensing for Microsoft and SAP, plus all the support agreements we have for poo poo like the SAN and network equipment, it looks like we're going to be handing out abacuses instead of laptops this year, and there sure ain't gonna be no upgrades.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Would you rather have an abacus, or 1366x768 ThinkPad? :think:

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Antioch posted:

Think it's gonna have to be a :yotj: for me this year. We just got asked to cut a million bucks out of our budget of 3.3mm. A full third. Considering that we spend about a million on licensing for Microsoft and SAP, plus all the support agreements we have for poo poo like the SAN and network equipment, it looks like we're going to be handing out abacuses instead of laptops this year, and there sure ain't gonna be no upgrades.

Well if you're leaving, why not cancel the licenses instead so we can all have something to laugh about on your way out.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
"Alright what are non-revenue generating departments we can cut from"
- Outages prevent anybody from selling anything

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Not pissing me off: they just announced a huge increase in the tuition discount for children of faculty/staff, so when my kid starts going to preschool here in the fall it'll be kind of like getting a $5K/year raise. It'll keep me here until he's old enough for public school, at least.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Weedle posted:

Not pissing me off: they just announced a huge increase in the tuition discount for children of faculty/staff, so when my kid starts going to preschool here in the fall it'll be kind of like getting a $5K/year raise. It'll keep me here until he's old enough for public school, at least.

Well this just made me feel old, when I see you post the first thing I think of is your old GTA LPs I would watch when I was still lurking, where I'm pretty sure every commentator was either drunk, high, or both.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well this just made me feel old, when I see you post the first thing I think of is your old GTA LPs I would watch when I was still lurking, where I'm pretty sure every commentator was either drunk, high, or both.

Sorry you had to watch those. We still thought "ironic" racism was extremely funny for some reason. Also the drunk/high one was usually just me.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Eh, I mean I was like 17 and thought that 4Chan was something I just didn't "get" at that point so I'm in no position to talk.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Weedle posted:

Sorry you had to watch those. We still thought "ironic" racism was extremely funny for some reason. Also the drunk/high one was usually just me.

Ironic racism is like fart jokes, loving amazing right up until you're legally able to drink, and finally know better. The same with most of the cringy poo poo you got up to as a kid, but won't be caught dead doing now.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Yea, I've already been told by one of the higher ups that his time is coming.

I understand the exit interviews are usually a waste of time.

Take charge of your own exit interviews! Send your resignation letter for _x_ simple reasons directly to people higher up, but not chair levels.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Anyone ever had the strength to do a real-deal "Lemme tell you something" exit interview? I was offered the opportunity at my last job, just didn't give a poo poo by that point. Not like they would've done anything about it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Antioch posted:

Well, cut the MS and SAP licenses, and take a week installing Ubuntu on everyone's laptops tell them to use LibreOffice instead of your SAP systems.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Macaroni posted:

Anyone ever had the strength to do a real-deal "Lemme tell you something" exit interview? I was offered the opportunity at my last job, just didn't give a poo poo by that point. Not like they would've done anything about it.

I went full scorched earth at one job.

Nothing changed.

They then called me and tried to get me to come back about a year later, despite nothing having changed.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

The Macaroni posted:

I find Employee Surveys to be quite therapeutic to fill in, whilst knowing in my heart that it will change nothing.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

The Macaroni posted:

Sure. I basically raked my sociopath of a boss across the coals in writing. The HR people asked me a couple clarifying questions with concerned looks on their faces. I heard from my office mate later that said boss was acting like a kicked dog for a week after he got the exit interview and then was back to normal, and last I heard he's still there and has chased away some of the better veterans with his bullshit.

So yeah nobody's going to learn anything from even polite constructive criticism in this context, nothing's going to change. If you're like me and have the urge to do it to maybe make your former co-workers' lives a little better, it's not going to work, but it's probably not going to get you into trouble either.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Che Delilas posted:

Sure. I basically raked my sociopath of a boss across the coals in writing. The HR people asked me a couple clarifying questions with concerned looks on their faces. I heard from my office mate later that said boss was acting like a kicked dog for a week after he got the exit interview and then was back to normal, and last I heard he's still there and has chased away some of the better veterans with his bullshit.

So yeah nobody's going to learn anything from even polite constructive criticism in this context, nothing's going to change. If you're like me and have the urge to do it to maybe make your former co-workers' lives a little better, it's not going to work, but it's probably not going to get you into trouble either.

I'll follow this story up with one from my current place of employment - a supervisor ran off a team of four in cybersecurity and all four listened him as the cause. About two weeks after the last one left a terse email went out company wide stating the supervisor has been demoted from leadership.

It was kind of neat seeing consequences for bring a shitlord. Kind of like watching a comet.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Raerlynn posted:

Kind of like watching a comet.

In the sense that, having seen it once, you'll almost certainly not see it again in your lifetime?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Schadenboner posted:

In the sense that, having seen it once, you'll almost certainly not see it again in your lifetime?

More in the sense that 99% of it's life it's a useless cold rock doing nothing and accomplishing nothing, but that one time, it's a fiery beautiful blase of glory. But also only seeing it useful once per lifetime.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Weedle posted:

Oh man my oldest starts kindergarten next fall. It will be nice to get $12,000 back instead of giving it to an (admittedly very good) daycare.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Macaroni posted:

I reported the rampant sexual harassment in my exit interview three jobs ago and absolutely nothing about their culture has changed. The person I reported by name still works there too.

I’m glad I did it though. It needed to be said.

It’s kinda sad that after nearly four years in the industry this current job I’ve been in four months is the only one where it hasn’t happened. Or hasn’t happened yet at any rate, I don’t have a whole lot of confidence about the whole thing.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 8, 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

It’s kinda sad that after nearly four years in the industry this current job I’ve been in four months is the only one where it hasn’t happened. Or hasn’t happened yet at any rate, I don’t have a whole lot of confidence about the whole thing.

Is there good diversity in upper management? Anecdotally of course, but that to me seems to be the biggest indicator.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Woof Blitzer posted:

Is your name Heracles?

Sisyphus

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Today I found myself going down the DNS rabbit hole as an immediate response to my thinking to myself "there's no way it's DNS"

The Fortigate decided to spontaneously revert itself back to "Secure Fortiguard" IPs which failed to resolve not just internally, but to external addresses ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Either there is a really great prank brewing between me and our change management department, or they are just out of their goddamn minds.

I get an email from one of them today saying that the last three change requests I put in haven't been approved yet and won't go the change meeting. The reason is, they don't have a start/end date on when the change will happen. I tell them that I can't possibly know when another group will actually do the change. That is on them. I'm told I'm wrong about that, and I should work with them and find a date. Which again doesn't make sense, why can't I put in a change, give it a priority and then they figure it out. I don't care when its done, I barely care that it gets done.

Second request I put in last week and its something we needed on Monday. I'm told Tuesday morning that it wasn't approved, because the Monday date had passed, and I need to pick a new date. I pick tomorrow, and I'm told that is too soon. Well, I needed it Monday so..I guess it doesn't happen?

The third one was a real winner. Back in October, I put in I needed a firewall change. I needed a port opened between two vlans. I put in the date I wanted it done, which was a week from that day. In the meantime, I found another way to do what I wanted to do and moved on. Today I find that it looks like it never made it to the group it needed to, and by the time it did, it was past the date set, so they just set it aside for months because the date was wrong.

There are rules to this system somewhere, and I wish I knew what they were, because its driving me insane.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The rule is to stop caring too much and keep a steady supply of you favourite booze at hand for the really bad poo poo.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

Either there is a really great prank brewing between me and our change management department, or they are just out of their goddamn minds.

There are rules to this system somewhere, and I wish I knew what they were, because its driving me insane.

Wait.
Are you describing a ticket system? Because isn't that sorta how it should work?

Just what sort of buck-dodging game do you think their bureaucracy envisions?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Change Management meetings are just wank sessions for middle managers who love bureaucracy.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Eh, ours are typically formalities just to make sure the change is fully documented and that both the implementation and back-out plans are viable. It's also a last chance for the engineers reviewing the technical details to go "are you out of your loving mind?"

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

We're having a RIF today in the company. The invite method HR wanted us to send (which was pushed back against but they assured us they tested) did not go well. Both of my employees getting RIF'd noticed the additional people on the invite that were added later as a forward. I know this because they all started closing their open tickets with final tickets or re-assigning them to other team members not on the list. Our meeting isn't for 3 1/2 hours so that is loving swell.

edit: this is my first time as management doing a RIF/fire so this is swell.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Virigoth posted:

We're having a RIF today in the company. The invite method HR wanted us to send (which was pushed back against but they assured us they tested) did not go well. Both of my employees getting RIF'd noticed the additional people on the invite that were added later as a forward. I know this because they all started closing their open tickets with final tickets or re-assigning them to other team members not on the list. Our meeting isn't for 3 1/2 hours so that is loving swell.

edit: this is my first time as management doing a RIF/fire so this is swell.

So what’s the deal, you don’t want them to know? Understandable, but it getting leaked now isn’t your problem and if I were you I would at least talk to them instead of just letting them simmer al day. They are your folks and even if the rif isn’t your idea , once the cat is out of the bag it’s time to be a good leader and do what you can for your employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CitizenKain posted:

I tell them that I can't possibly know when another group will actually do the change. That is on them. I'm told I'm wrong about that, and I should work with them and find a date. Which again doesn't make sense, why can't I put in a change, give it a priority and then they figure it out. I don't care when its done, I barely care that it gets done.

This used to be the way my company worked and it was miserable. We front ended things with Requests and it's way smoother.

Another team puts in a request for a firewall change and sets a due date. I pick it up, write the change, schedule it before the date, go through the change board for approval, and do the change. Then the request gets updated with a what / when summary of our change.

Having a Windows person write a firewall change for me to implement sucks. They don't know the rules, don't know how to make the change, and that's exactly how it should be.