Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Casimir Radon posted:

So I was looking at my OSSC, Scart cables, and SD2SNES thinking about :retrogames:, and how I haven't touched it lately. Then figured I'd give Chrono Trigger a try since I'd heard good things. I haven't played something this addictive for a while. Every time you look at the clock you realize another hour or two has gone by, and then suddenly it's very late.

:stare:

Wow there are still people who haven't played CT

Post about your experience more so we can live vicariously through you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I never played a Zelda after Ocarina so I'm looking forward to those.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I never played FF6 or Chrono Trigger until last year. CT holds up. Delightful, absolutely lives up to the hype. FF6.. I would have enjoyed as a kid (if it didn't cost the same as four other games)

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I've never played CT..

I'm not a huge fan of RPGs, but my friends keep hounding at me to play it. Maybe I'll get to it at some point, but it's so hyped up now for me I'll probably end up hating it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
CT is definitely a game that feels very easy to just lose hours and hours because of its pacing and (relatively) low difficulty. It's the first game I have a distinct memory of where I straight up binged it all day for like 17 hours which subsequently got me in trouble because I was supposed to be working on some 4th grade social studies project that weekend.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

psychopomp posted:

I never played a Zelda after Ocarina so I'm looking forward to those.

I've played Wind Waker and Minish Cap (both were excellent but could've used more dungeons, imo) but nothing past those, myself. I did try Majora's Mask but bounced pretty hard off of it. Didn't that get remade recently?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I played Chrono Trigger for the first time last Summer and burned myself out on what I didn't realize was some DS-exclusive bonus content. It's a bummer because I feel like it unfairly tarnished my impression of the game :-/ I'm so sick of that drat prehistoric mountain now.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Nate RFB posted:

CT is definitely a game that feels very easy to just lose hours and hours because of its pacing and (relatively) low difficulty. It's the first game I have a distinct memory of where I straight up binged it all day for like 17 hours which subsequently got me in trouble because I was supposed to be working on some 4th grade social studies project that weekend.

I remember getting into a big fight with my mom in 7th grade when I didn't want to go to soccer practice because I was playing Shining Force II and had just evolved the little turtle looking guy into his monster form for the first time ever (it was a serial rental for me and I had been able to continue a game save from a previous rental).

I still think about that lil guy. I don't think about anyone even tangential to that soccer team anymore. Not even mom.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I did everything there was to do in the DS remake of Chrono Trigger and the mountain is a mess. The new weapons and bosses are good fun, though. Even liked the shallow-rear end monster arena.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

:stare:

Wow there are still people who haven't played CT

Post about your experience more so we can live vicariously through you
I hosed up my first go around because I didn't read the manual or know about the mayor's house yet. So I took more hits than I should have from Gato, didn't realize how low my health was, didn't buy a better sword, and didn't know how saving worked yet. As a result I got killed by Imps before I got out of Truce Canyon. So that was half an hour gone right there.

The trial was a really nice touch. It's not super deep or anything but mechanics like that were probably pretty rare back in 1995.

I'm in Zeal now and that opening up feels like the game just expanded a bunch in the blink of an eye.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
CT's art style holds up so well. It's gorgeous.

FF6 too, but man CT is pretty.

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich

Ofecks posted:

I've played Wind Waker and Minish Cap (both were excellent but could've used more dungeons, imo) but nothing past those, myself. I did try Majora's Mask but bounced pretty hard off of it. Didn't that get remade recently?

Yes, remake came out on the 3DS a couple years ago. Best way to play it.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

OK as a "hardcore" gamer, retro and otherwise, I'm ashamed to admit I've never played CT either!

But with my trusty new SD2SNES PRO Generic Name Here, I'm ready for the adventure.

BUT what dear Goons, is the best version to play? I've heard rumors about using a DS text version on the SNES or some such hack?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Casimir Radon posted:

I hosed up my first go around because I didn't read the manual or know about the mayor's house yet. So I took more hits than I should have from Gato, didn't realize how low my health was, didn't buy a better sword, and didn't know how saving worked yet. As a result I got killed by Imps before I got out of Truce Canyon. So that was half an hour gone right there.

The trial was a really nice touch. It's not super deep or anything but mechanics like that were probably pretty rare back in 1995.

I'm in Zeal now and that opening up feels like the game just expanded a bunch in the blink of an eye.

... not to be too mean but it should be trivial to kill imps even if you completely skip gato and do the bare minimum in guardia...

But glad you got it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

XtraSmiley posted:

OK as a "hardcore" gamer, retro and otherwise, I'm ashamed to admit I've never played CT either!

But with my trusty new SD2SNES PRO Generic Name Here, I'm ready for the adventure.

BUT what dear Goons, is the best version to play? I've heard rumors about using a DS text version on the SNES or some such hack?

Best imo: play SNES and watch the cutscenes on youtube

But PS1 or DS are fine. Just don't play the mobile/pc port. And be aware of the DS bonus content just mentioned, that you should probably avoid in your first play.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

CT's art style holds up so well. It's gorgeous.

FF6 too, but man CT is pretty.

Akira Toriyama knows how to draw really well

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Didn't the PC version get a ton of updates to improve on it? Or is it still not good enough?

If its not, I'd say SNES or DS are the versions to play, but avoid the DS bonus content like the plague. PS1 is ok, but the load times are kind of irritating.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

... not to be too mean but it should be trivial to kill imps even if you completely skip gato and do the bare minimum in guardia...

But glad you got it
I got smacked by Gato a few times because I wasn't expecting a timer system so I went into the canyon with health a lot lower than I thought it was. Otherwise at that stage you could probably just spam attack and be fine. It's easy to get lulled into a false sense of security by modern games.

See: Forgetting Deus Ex doesn't autosave* and losing an hour of gameplay to something stupid.
*Unmodded

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ChaosArgate posted:

Didn't the PC version get a ton of updates to improve on it? Or is it still not good enough?

If its not, I'd say SNES or DS are the versions to play, but avoid the DS bonus content like the plague. PS1 is ok, but the load times are kind of irritating.

The PC version is the usual port of the mobile version Square are obsessed with doing, complete with horrible smoothed graphics.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

njsykora posted:

The PC version is the usual port of the mobile version Square are obsessed with doing, complete with horrible smoothed graphics.

They patched that out (or rather, patched in the option to use the original sprites), it got like 6 different patches to fix it's issues, so it's supposedly pretty okay now.

I loaded it up to see just the beginning for a few minutes and it seemed at least okay, though I have no idea how the whole game stands up.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

ChaosArgate posted:

What got me with that bonus content was that it wasn't just some conspicuous post-game dungeon that pops up. It's a familiar area that gives you some extra stuff to do... and since I was at a point in the game where I wasn't sure what to do next, I started doing it... and then doing it again and again and a:cry:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Phantasium posted:

They patched that out (or rather, patched in the option to use the original sprites), it got like 6 different patches to fix it's issues, so it's supposedly pretty okay now.

I loaded it up to see just the beginning for a few minutes and it seemed at least okay, though I have no idea how the whole game stands up.

The UI is still meh isn't it?

IDK I just love the SNES.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Man whenever people gush about CT it just reminds me how broke brained I apparently am. I tried it and it failed to suck me in. The intro did absolutely nothing for me and I rolled my eyes at the time travel shtick. Didn't even like the battle system and I had the DS version with two options for it. There have been many other game intros that immediately sucked me in (the first DQM game comes to mind) but I still don't understand why I bounced so hard off of CT.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Turbinosamente posted:

Man whenever people gush about CT it just reminds me how broke brained I apparently am. I tried it and it failed to suck me in. The intro did absolutely nothing for me and I rolled my eyes at the time travel shtick. Didn't even like the battle system and I had the DS version with two options for it. There have been many other game intros that immediately sucked me in (the first DQM game comes to mind) but I still don't understand why I bounced so hard off of CT.

Nah you're not broke brained. It isn't universally loved (lots of people in the JRPG thread in regular Games are vocally not fond of it), and it hasn't aged any better than other RPGs of the era, except maybe visually, if the visual style is your cup of tea. I say all this as a huge CT fanboy, I love the game and play it every couple of years and get sucked in, but it's like any other big Square RPG from that era, and a couple generations after, it has its flaws that people are generally more willing to overlook than they would normally be because the story/music/visuals/whatever grabbed them hard. I love the game a lot but I get why it's not for everyone.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

:same: friend

Turbinosamente posted:

Let me tell you about the 50 separate times I’ve started Earthbound and quit after an hour

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Let me tell you about the 50 separate times I’ve started Earthbound and quit after an hour

Oh my god, I feel seen.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

The UI is still meh isn't it?

They rebuilt the UI at some point to be more like the SNES game, with some bonus features like a sound test and the ability to rewatch previously-seen endings. It's definitely a world away from the pitiful state it launched in.

They went from this:

to this:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Turbinosamente posted:

It's okay to not like things other people like.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I like CT well enough but only playing it after it had become retro (Maybe in the mid 2000s via emulation and recently on my SD2SNES) it didn't blow me away like I expected it to.
I didn't dislike it by any means but I guess it didn't live up to the hype for me personally.
I do think the script is pretty meh though. It's not exactly bad but doesn't feel quite as sharp or punchy as some other contemporary games.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Chrono Trigger is basically a pitch perfect 20 hour RPG theme park ride, but you can see where Square trimmed the game way back from what they were already doing in other RPGs of the time to get it at that place. There's a lot of illusion of depth at play, such as trading random encounters for scripted ones to suggest you can opt out, or the fact that there's virtually no combat strategy beyond attack/heal, or any character building you can do -- but the triple and double techs give the impression there is.

It's ambitious in structural ways like its clockwork universe working across time periods and the multiple endings, but under the hood it really pales against what Square was doing even in Final Fantasy V or VI, or even what competitors were doing with stuff like Shin Megami Tensei II or even Dragon Quest VI. Instead with CT you have the best presentation and fewest risks, like a SNES RPG Greatest Hits game. I'm pretty happy it exists regardless.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:same: friend

I could never again play Earthbound without a fast forward button. The combat is just ugh

As far as CT is concerned, a lot of my love is nostalgia I'll admit. At the time, that game was unlike anything I'd ever experienced. I was a vet of SNES RPGs, but CT felt so massive, and the time travel between different worlds was amazing. Also, that it got as incredibly dark as it did during the future portions - I feel like no other SNES RPG had ever created an environment like that before.

FF6 with the WoR, especially the early parts with Celes in the cabin, did this pretty well too. Yeeesh. :smith:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Nah you're not broke brained. It isn't universally loved (lots of people in the JRPG thread in regular Games are vocally not fond of it), and it hasn't aged any better than other RPGs of the era, except maybe visually, if the visual style is your cup of tea. I say all this as a huge CT fanboy, I love the game and play it every couple of years and get sucked in, but it's like any other big Square RPG from that era, and a couple generations after, it has its flaws that people are generally more willing to overlook than they would normally be because the story/music/visuals/whatever grabbed them hard. I love the game a lot but I get why it's not for everyone.

Japan voted it best RPG for over 2 decades so disliking it is officially broke brained *stamps papers*

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I've been replaying the Shadowrun Genesis game and I wish someone with better research abilities than me would really dig into the making of that game. It's just so drat weird and ahead of its time (unless there are other console games with a similar open-world vibe). The gameplay's no great shakes but I have moved the plot exactly zero and have just been running around doing runs and I'm still strangely captivated after all these years.

It should at least have gotten an award for really capturing its source material.

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 8, 2020

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Shadowrun was the first time that "Sega does what NintenDON'T" felt like more than just hollow words to me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

RichterIX posted:

I've been replaying the Shadowrun Genesis game and I wish someone with better research abilities than me would really dig into the making of that game. It's just so drat weird and ahead of its time (unless there are other console games with a similar open-world vibe). The gameplay's no great shakes but I have moved the plot exactly zero and have just been running around doing runs and I'm still strangely captivated after all these years.

It should at least have gotten an award for really capturing its source material.

I agree. It’s an incredible game with so many systems and so much love put into it. Really hope we can get the people who worked on it into a kind of oral history.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

RichterIX posted:

I love the game, but I wish combat were more than "run away, hit A," especially given how netrunning is relatively deep. A modern version of Genesis Shadowrun would be really fun (fingers crossed on the non-plot elements of Cyberpunk 2077).

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

al-azad posted:

Japan voted it best RPG for over 2 decades so disliking it is officially broke brained *stamps papers*

augh why you gotta do me dirty, Japan?

every time, I swear

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

XtraSmiley posted:

I've heard rumors about using a DS text version on the SNES or some such hack?

This has never been done, as far as I’m aware, which is surprising. I prefer the script used on the DS version (mainly because of Frog’s dialogue), but would much rather play on an SNES. The closest thing seems to be Chrono Trigger: Complete which “combines the loved, quirky translation of the original SNES version, with the more extended script of the DS version” but leaves Frog’s speech unchanged and adds a bunch of fan fictiony extra scenes and dialogue, which... ehh no thanks.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The Kins posted:

They rebuilt the UI at some point to be more like the SNES game, with some bonus features like a sound test and the ability to rewatch previously-seen endings. It's definitely a world away from the pitiful state it launched in.

They went from this:

to this:

Woa, nice improvement. Added to wishlist! I'll probably never buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Not liking the way Frog talks is messed up imo