Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

succ posted:

It's a great game but I've forgotten everything about the story since I last played.

yeah, that's exactly why I haven't bothered to start episodes 1-4 yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm frickin' ready.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Yeah I feel like for the particular things I get out of KRZ, it doesn't matter that I've forgotten "plot points" from the first episodes. Ready for the last episode here. Release the hounds.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Who knew the Game of the 2020s was gonna come out in January of this year.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

succ posted:

It's a great game but I've forgotten everything about the story since I last played.

I talk and listen to him talking.
It's late.
It will only get later.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I just read the summary of acts 1-3 on wikipedia and it barely helped. Game is a fuckin' trip.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I should probably just go through the entire game again because I never played those little entr'actes in between chapters.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Tarezax posted:

Warframe has Octavia, the frame where you can compose your own 4-bar 4/4 time song using a step sequencer and annoy all your teammates with it while your boombox bot rolls around killing everything with your sick beats

You can also buy an instrument that similarly lets you play custom music but much more freeform

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE3VDCBdwcY

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
I played through the first episode and decided to wait for the rest of it to be released. According to Steam this was July 23rd 2013.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Tarezax posted:

Warframe has Octavia, the frame where you can compose your own 4-bar 4/4 time song using a step sequencer and annoy all your teammates with it while your boombox bot rolls around killing everything with your sick beats

You can also buy an instrument that similarly lets you play custom music but much more freeform

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqIn5GzBiuI

Stomping is an instrument.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
excited for krz to move from to my backlog from my frontlog

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

AirRaid posted:

The Serious Sam series is worth a look. All of them are good, 2 being the weak link but still fun enough to play through.

Serious Sam is good but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to someone who says they're bad at shooters

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The Mass Effect games (even the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer) are fun shooters that aren't especially difficult.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Bioshock 1 and 2 are also decent option. They have shooting, but it isn't too precise and your magic slug powers make up for it whenever you are having difficulty with the shooter parts. Hell, you can go through those games with nothing but a wrench and melee everything to death. Not that they're easy, necessarily, but they're good at being as difficult as you want them to be.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Sonel posted:

I played through the first episode and decided to wait for the rest of it to be released. According to Steam this was July 23rd 2013.

I’m pretty much the same. I’m good to restart the whole series when it’s fully released.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Played ME and Bioshock on console. Was looking for MP shooters where i wouldnt be 360 noscoped before i left the spawn, but it always feels like the skill level is so much higher than mine that I can't ever get good because I spend too much time dead

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shrecknet posted:

Played ME and Bioshock on console. Was looking for MP shooters where i wouldnt be 360 noscoped before i left the spawn, but it always feels like the skill level is so much higher than mine that I can't ever get good because I spend too much time dead

The new CoD has been doing pretty well for me as far as matchmaking goes, and I’m usually pretty bad at online shooters.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

EDF

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Titanfall 2 is the only FPS I ever bothered with the MP for long because everything is so quick that even if you die too easily you'll be back on your feet in no time.

Also there's a PvE mode.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Shrecknet posted:

Whats a good shooting game for people bad at shooting? Ive never been good at twitch reflexes owing to growing up as a console babby and ive always gravitated to supports that dont need to aim like Engie or Torbjorn

I'm assuming your goal is to get good and enjoy more stuff. Reflexes are almost irrelevant. What you need to do is start with a reasonable mouse sensitivity, so you can build muscle memory instead of carpal tunnel strain. Make it take you about 15-20" of mouse movement to turn your character 360. That will instantly make you like ten times better.

Then I would go play Doom 1 and 2. Games with fast movement where you don't have the option to stand still will help you learn to correlate your movement with your aiming, which is the next step in learning how to play shooters. Precise aim isn't important in Doom, but aiming along with your movement is, since standing still gets you killed.

Once you've learned to integrate movement and aiming, the next big thing you can do is learn to pre-aim. You should always be aiming somewhere such that you don't NEED to aim when you see someone, your crosshair is already right where they appeared.

If you're looking for multiplayer games... honestly TF2 and Overwatch de-emphasize aim about as much as is possible in an FPS. The good news is that it's absolutely possible to get good, but it's going to require you to focus on actually learning the skills you lack instead of just blindly playing a lot. For example, just practice snapping to places and firing on them, and look where you actually shot so you can learn the mistakes you're making. Demos can really help with this, you can see if you're firing before your crosshair gets there, overshooting and coming back, etc. Practice moving around while keeping your crosshair exactly on some arbitrary point.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sounds like you’re lacking fundamentals. Unfortunately you’re going to have to start at Wolfenstein 3D and work your way up from there again.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Multiplayer shooters almost always have stupid high skill differences between veterans and new players, because the type of person who plays them often also plays them almost to the exclusion of anything else. If you want a quick and easy recommendation for a multiplayer shooter where you won't get dominated by the no-lifers, I don't think there is one.

Maybe try co-op shooters instead. Left4Dead, if that is still a thing.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cardiovorax posted:

I'd second the co-op thing, then a lower-skilled player can get carried to a degree by a higher-skill player. I know there's a lot of hate here for Borderlands but it does, at least, offer some friendly co-op PvE play.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
gently caress Mortal Kombat 11 and gently caress the guy who though freezing aura is something that should make it to the final product. gently caress! I have 10 hours already otherwise I'd refund that poo poo in an instant.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cardiovorax posted:

Multiplayer shooters almost always have stupid high skill differences between veterans and new players, because the type of person who plays them often also plays them almost to the exclusion of anything else. If you want a quick and easy recommendation for a multiplayer shooter where you won't get dominated by the no-lifers, I don't think there is one.

yeah you can still do alright in games like Battlefield if you can get in a tank, or just do teamplay reviving some guys, throw down ammo, and stuff but you will probably be about 1:1 kdr, at best, if you're just really that bad at basic reflexes. your best bet is also to play MP shooters when they're new and have the most "newness" factor where everyone doesn't know what is going on and can take advantage of that. The longer you wait to play an MP shooter that's been out for awhile, the worse time you'll have.

Seconded co-op games are probably the way to go

L4D2 is still decently well played despite being like 11 years old now. More melee-ing than shooting, but there's also Vermintide 2 but it's poo poo the bed hard because the developers are out of touch morons listening to the half dozen of incestuous cesspool of gross sycophants whose voices they listen to to the detriment of all else, a common issue that small MP games de-volve to tbf.

Deep Rock Galactic is the best co-op shooter out there. you mine gold n minerals for corporate to profit off ur labor and you shoot a lot of nasty little starship trooper bugs with your bros chugging beer in between missions and customizing your blinged out purple beard, mustaches, and sideburns

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Xaris posted:

Deep Rock Galactic is the best co-op shooter out there. you mine gold n minerals for corporate to profit off ur labor and you shoot a lot of nasty little starship trooper bugs with your bros chugging beer in between missions and customizing your blinged out purple beard, mustaches, and sideburns

don't forget annoying the hell out of your supervisor by playing basketball with fuel(?) barrels

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Did Deep Rock ever come together? I got it early on and it was pretty shallow.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bad Munki posted:

Did Deep Rock ever come together? I got it early on and it was pretty shallow.

It has a ton of end-game stuff like Overclocks, Crafting Beers, weapon mods, alternate grenades/weapons, loads of new skins, etc, it's pretty drat feature complete and they're routinely putting out pretty big monthly patches fixing up QoL and new things. Next patch is doing a big Perk overhaul and who knows what else

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Xaris posted:

L4D2 is still decently well played despite being like 11 years old now. More melee-ing than shooting, but there's also Vermintide 2 but it's poo poo the bed hard because the developers are out of touch morons listening to the half dozen of incestuous cesspool of gross sycophants whose voices they listen to to the detriment of all else, a common issue that small MP games de-volve to tbf.

Ah bummer, I was thinking about giving Vermintide 2 a shot. What have the developers done to drive away the players?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So wait what's this 20+ INCHES to do a 360 poo poo? I've got it where I dunno, like an inch or so moves my cursor across the screen? Is there some tool to help calibrate this poo poo for a up and coming late 30s pro gamer like me?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is there some tool to help calibrate this poo poo for a up and coming late 30s pro gamer like me?

go into a game, point at something, put your mouse at one side of your mousepad (or equivalent), move mouse sideways until you've done a 360, then look at how far your physical mouse moved

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Do you not use acceleration? Because that’ll totally change that distance.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

that's why people turn acceleration off!

I dunno, use what's comfortable for you? Try a lower sensitivity for a while to see if it makes you more accurate, but don't make it hard work

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah definitely don't use mouse acceleration in shooters, it screws with your muscle memory. You don't have to disable it globally across Windows, most games nowadays have a "raw input" setting that bypasses acceleration when enabled.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Bad Munki posted:

Do you not use acceleration? Because that’ll totally change that distance.

as others have said, you dont use acceleration because it totally changes that distance

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I've got it where I dunno, like an inch or so moves my cursor across the screen?

I just had a brain hemorrhage

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Not everyone has oodles of room at their setups.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hell the hell do you have access to your keyboard when you need 20 inches of clear space in either direction to fully turn around?

E: Like my keyboard is 17 inches itself, a 40 inch clearance for the mouse so I can 360 in both directions and I'm gonna have to weld on some extra desk space for my 54 inch desk.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

20 inches is pretty extreme, even at professional level most players don't use that much area: https://aiming.pro/what-sensitivity-do-pro-esports-gamers-use

CSGO players get close but you're generally not doing many 180 flicks in that game so it's not as bad as it sounds.

repiv fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Half a meter is the kind of distance that makes you have to physically lean forward if you want to reach menu items on the top of tall windows.