Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
speed dating but your parents browse through the candidates first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I live in an Indian neighborhood and at least some of the jewelry stores sell gold jewelry just by weight. You pick out a pile of stuff for a wedding and they put it on a scale.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
People who immigrate from India to USA are in top 5% wealth bracket to being with. It's very rare for a poor Indian to make it abroad, especially here. This is all according to my Indian associates in the US.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tired Moritz posted:

speed dating but your parents browse through the candidates first.

You know, when you put it like that, I'm not surprised that modern arranged marriages tend to do pretty well.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nitrox posted:

People who immigrate from India to USA are in top 5% wealth bracket to being with. It's very rare for a poor Indian to make it abroad, especially here. This is all according to my Indian associates in the US.

It's almost like that was by design

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Nitrox posted:

Yeah, the reason why Indians are ‘model minorities’ in the US is because most Indians who immigrate to the US are already pretty rich.

edit:

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's almost like that was by design

Of course this is because of US immigration policy. I don't think anyone was implying that it was due to some weird stroke of luck.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Jan 7, 2020

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

PubicMice posted:

I don't know if it's been discussed, but I was talking to a friend about India, and I remembered this ad, which is just all kinds of :whitewater:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1214206295714103310

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Cleretic posted:

You know, when you put it like that, I'm not surprised that modern arranged marriages tend to do pretty well.

Too lazy to look it up, but I think that on average they last longer than non-arranged marriages.
(of course, there are oodles of other societal factors at play)

I wonder how you market an offspring when they are clearly below average? 'Yeah, she's ugly, but she can cook and is very fertile' 'Give him 3 years and he'll be the manager of that comic book store, you'll see'

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Large dowries.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Memento posted:

That's fake, right? Surely.

Surely.

Nobody’s been able to identify the company that ran the ad, so yeah.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Pocket Billiards posted:

I'm in Australia and haves friends from very large and wealthy Punjabi families my age that were born here. Their marriages were all 'arranged' but it was more like you date a shortlist of potential spouses your parents provide you and marry the one you hit it off with. There's some kind of network of wealthy Sikh parents spread across the Commonwealth countries that match their kids together from what I gather.

All of my husband's cousins who had arranged marriages (except for one) did the thing where the suggested bride/groom would just happen to be the person they'd gone to college with or been "close friends" with or "lived next to" for the past few years. Even in my MIL's generation, it was "Do you have anyone in mind before we start asking around?"

The one cousin who had a more traditional arranged marriage basically was ready to start a family but wasn't into anyone, so he did what you described and asked his parents to start looking. His wife is pretty kick-rear end, so it worked out well for him.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Arranged marriages aren't specifically a rich thing in India, although upper-caste parents might be pickier.

That's actually a closer description of Western culture, historically speaking. Whereas the nobility had arranged marriages, fixed at a very young age, most of the rest of society had a fairly unique demographic pattern with relative freedom in partner choice and a high average age at marriage (some proto-goons never got married at all).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

i mean, gold jewelry is a good store of value and also looks pretty, might be a useful resource jusy in case you need to leave your new husband in a hurry

Historically gold doesn't even keep pace with inflation, so it doesnt keep value it loses it.

Gold and jewelry are basically quick sources of immediate cash for less then their scrap value.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I would imagine the things that are beyond price are: booze, the workings to make booze, and the means to keep people from taking the above from you.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pastry of the Year posted:

I would imagine the things that are beyond price are: booze, the workings to make booze, and the means to keep people from taking the above from you.

In medieval Europe grain and booze were basically currency. Everybody needed them wherever you went and most people were subsistence farmers so the main thing they had to sell was...grain and booze.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In medieval Europe grain and booze were basically currency. Everybody needed them wherever you went and most people were subsistence farmers so the main thing they had to sell was...grain and booze.

Same in colonial America. This is actually the real reason behind the Whiskey Rebellion!

Grain is not a very dense product in terms of value. It takes up a lot of space and weight and needs to be stored properly to avoid spoilage, which can be a big problem if you produce more grain than you can feasibly transport to the market to sell. Liquor is very value-dense compared to the grain you made it from and lasts basically forever once properly bottled. It became a very good idea for farmers with the know-how and material to make stills that they could use to turn their excess grain into whiskey. Rural American society often went about with little or no cash, trading inherently valuable goods and services instead of exchanging money. A farmer-distiller could become quite "wealthy" in his own community through the valuable product he produced. Farmers without stills would go to the distillers and give them grain to turn into whiskey, with the distiller keeping a portion for himself as payment. Whiskey was so valuable that George Washington built a distillery at Mt. Vernon in 1797 for commercial production (I've been there and bought a bottle of their whiskey, which is a nearly exact replica of Washington's whiskey made on reproduction equipment).

When Hamilton's whiskey tax was put into effect, you had the option of paying a flat tax or paying by the gallon. The first problem is that, as I said, many of these farmer-distillers had no money in the first place because their daily society didn't require it. The second is that if you produced a sufficient volume, you could pay the flat tax and end up effectively paying less per gallon than someone who paid by the gallon. This was compounded by whiskey costing less in the Appalachians where these farmers were based (when you had money to buy it) than in the eastern cities. The tax was thus seen as destroying the livelihood of many farmers by giving an unfair advantage to wealthy East Coast commercial operations. Gee, I wonder where this narrative has shown up before?

A similar motivation was behind the resistance to the Molasses Act, Sugar Act, and Tea Act decades earlier. The Thirteen Colonies had begun producing rum on a large scale thanks to the cheap molasses from French Caribbean sugar plantations (which used some of the most horrific chattel slavery in world history to keep the costs down) while ignoring the more expensive British sugar. The Molasses Act 1733 put heavy tariffs on non-English molasses to give an advantage to English molasses by making it cheaper (this was even worse because there were no outbound tariffs on goods from the colonies, so they would straight up lose money to benefit politically powerful English sugar planters). This was avoided through heavy smuggling or outright ignoring of the tax collectors, but the Sugar Act 1764 that replaced it was enforced uncommonly strictly to clamp down on smuggling. The Tea Act 1773, likewise, was implemented to give the politically connected British East India Company a market while it was struggling and caused anger through its blatant existence to help a wealthy corporation.

Gee, I wonder where this narrative has shown up before?

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 04:02 on Jan 7, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That’s very interesting

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

chitoryu12 posted:

Whiskey was so valuable that George Washington built a distillery at Mt. Vernon in 1797 for commercial production (I've been there and bought a bottle of their whiskey, which is a nearly exact replica of Washington's whiskey made on reproduction equipment).

How was it?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vavrek posted:

How was it?

It's 65% rye, 35% corn, and 5% malted barley so it's the same mashbill as a typical rye whiskey, but it's completely unaged and 86 proof. If you've ever bought unflavored "moonshine" or "white whiskey" at the liquor store, you've got a good idea of what it tastes like. It's a raw, somewhat sweet grain flavor that tastes like a fermentation tank smells. Even the different notes that rye whiskey have compared to bourbon don't come out until you barrel age it.

That's how whiskey was back then. Distilleries usually sold to wholesalers and rectifiers who did any blending, aging, and rectifying through second or third distillations. They, in turn, sold their product under their own brand names to saloons or stores. Because there was no FDA at this time, what you actually got as "whiskey" could be drat near anything. The bottle could say it's 5 year old straight whiskey from Old Bourbon County when it's actually watered down neutral molasses spirit with a little real whiskey that's maybe 20% ABV, adulterated with lanolin for body, burnt sugar or tobacco for color, and some acid for the burn to keep you from thinking you got cheated. Bottles were usually embossed with the brand and then filled up with drat near anything, like a saloon owner dumping the dregs of several bottles into one to save on shelf space.

James C. Crow's whiskey, Old Crow, is credited as the first bourbon to actually gain a positive reputation as a brand name applied to a specific recipe rather than a wholesaler's brand, and Hiram Walker (who would make Canadian Club) is credited with being the first to base his whiskey brand on aging it properly starting in the 1850s. Then Old Forester is believed to be the first whiskey to be sold exclusively in bottles with a guarantee of quality from the distillery, in part to allow doctors to safely issue quality whiskey to their patients as a cure-all. Then came the Bottled in Bond Act of 1897 which established standards for bourbon to meet to get the coveted phrase on their label as a guarantee of quality and the FDA being established in 1906, and that's when we finally get the modern spirits market in America.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
product quality laws sounds like communism though, maybe all consumers should have hydrometers and other testing equipment everytime they want to buy ______

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also I should point out that if you want to buy Old Crow today, do not. Jim Beam bought the brand and put almost all of their purchased brands on the Jim Beam mashbill, but Old Crow is the cheapest one. It's literally just worse Jim Beam in a jug.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
A lot of the above is also part of why America gave prohibition a shot- we as a nation really did have a problem with alcohol because it was so economical to produce.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Maxwell Lord posted:

A lot of the above is also part of why America gave prohibition a shot- we as a nation really did have a problem with alcohol because it was so economical to produce.

I've read/seen stats about pre-prohibition drinking in America and it really was off the charts bananas:

quote:

By 1830, alcohol consumption reached its peak at a truly outlandish 7 gallons of ethanol a year per capita. Via Okrent:

“Staggering” is the appropriate word for the consequences of this sort of drinking. In modern terms, those seven gallons are the equivalent of 1.7 bottles of a standard 80-proof liquor per person, per week—nearly 90 bottles a year for every adult in the nation, even with abstainers (and there were millions of them) factored in. Once again figuring per capita, multiply the amount Americans drink today by three and you’ll have an idea of what much of the nineteenth century was like.
So, how much do Americans drink now, in the modern world? Well, the best figure for the current American alcohol consumption rate seems to be roughly 2.42 gallons of ethanol per year, per capita—still a healthy figure, but nearly three times less per capita than in 1830.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/08/the-1800s-when-americans-drank-whiskey-like-it-was.html

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Maxwell Lord posted:

We still do have a problem with alcohol. The death toll is staggering, it blows guns and car accidents out of the water. People are just okay with that now.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If I wanna die partying that's my own choice.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently Wild Turkey is considered swill, but I really like the taste of it :negative:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Push El Burrito posted:

If I wanna die partying that's my own choice.

Just don’t drink and drive

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Randaconda posted:

Apparently Wild Turkey is considered swill, but I really like the taste of it :negative:

Try the 101. It’s definitely not swill.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phanatic posted:

Try the 101. It’s definitely not swill.

that's the only one i drink. the 80 proof has a weird flavor for some reason

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wild Turkey 101 used to be Hunter S. Thompson's drink of choice, but after spending some time not drinking he came back to it and declared it to taste like gasoline. He switched to Chivas Regal 12.

I like both. Higher proof has more burn but also allows more flavor to come through.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

1redflag posted:

Just don’t drink and drive

I see you've never been golfing before.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It doesn't even really burn all that much, to be honest, and I just drink it straight or maybe with some ice, depending on how it is

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Wild Turkey isn't notably worse than most other popular mass-market whiskeys. The one that I never understood is Fireball. Mix in all the cinnamon you want, it's still overpriced by half in terms of quality.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plastik posted:

Wild Turkey isn't notably worse than most other popular mass-market whiskeys. The one that I never understood is Fireball. Mix in all the cinnamon you want, it's still overpriced by half in terms of quality.

so much loving sugar. But most of the cinnamon flavored booze I've had has been gross. Fireball, Goldschlager

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Randaconda posted:

that's the only one i drink. the 80 proof has a weird flavor for some reason

Do they still make the 80? Okay, yeah, the 80 is swill. The 81 is considerably better, although not near as good as the 101.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Drink whatever gets you drunk the fastest and cheapest

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

oldpainless posted:

*dies from ethanol poisoning*

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oldpainless posted:

What's the word? Thunderbird!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Randaconda posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KHGqyGBeys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Randaconda posted:

I’ve seen the light and I’ve heard the word
I’m staying away from that ol’ dirty thunderbird.
A message come from Heaven, radiant and fine
And now all I drink’s Communion wine.
Six days a week.

https://youtu.be/xjeGL3wjFUQ