Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

BadLlama posted:

I think I had 7,000 or 8,000 games played before I ever research my first T10 tank. RIP T110E5, we hardly had a chance to know thee.

Yeah the E5 was the first line I went up, and I finally got the thing after the nerfs. So I got the true Wargaming (tm) experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Back in ~2015 I got the IS7, obj140 and halfway through the M103 towards the E5 in something like 5k games played. Since I've been back I've gone from 1-10 in the polish heavy line and 7-10 in the russian arty line without really noticing it. It seems way faster these days, I guess back then there were no boosters or blueprints. Seems lately there's also always been events on giving loads of extra exp and silver.

I also seem to have a habit of buying a T10, buying equipment and camo and transferring a crew, then playing 5 games and parking it in the garage forever.

e: what happened to the E5? It was good when I used to play, but I never got on with the M103 at all and kinda gave up on the grind.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
drat, I'm about 10k experience from turning the T32 into the M103 (and on to the E5...).

If only I had known not to start this line 4 years ago!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

kemikalkadet posted:

I also seem to have a habit of buying a T10, buying equipment and camo and transferring a crew, then playing 5 games and parking it in the garage forever.

sounds like it's time to get back into clanwars! :unsmigghh:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I have more t8 tanks then I do sense apparently. :smith:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Katamari Democracy posted:

I have more t8 tanks then I do sense apparently. :smith:
Tier8 is going to have trash matchmaking on console for a while - last year they had an OP that paid out today with a free (or discounted) TierX very heavily armoured premium Russian heavy. Every other Tier8 is going to queue into a TierX match where they will have an even more horrible time trying to pen anything than usual. Also lots of new TierX players playing their first TierX games getting blown up by Waffles and Deathstars.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I forgot the pre nerf waffle still exist on consoles

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Also, the crew skill re-work in 2020 may be closer than we think?

Rather than giving 0 Skill brothers in arms, this package now just gives you extra XP to unlock stuff, I do not recall them ever doing it like this before and this checks out with the little information I have seen regarding the crew xp conversion into the new system.

also that package price is lol, just converting gold to 2 mil credits and buying a skill book would be a lot cheaper.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 7, 2020

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Flayer posted:

Also lots of new TierX players playing their first TierX games getting blown up by Waffles and Deathstars.

Yep. That's me. :smith:

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

BadLlama posted:

Also, the crew skill re-work in 2020 may be closer than we think?

Rather than giving 0 Skill brothers in arms, this package now just gives you extra XP to unlock stuff, I do not recall them ever doing it like this before and this checks out with the little information I have seen regarding the crew xp conversion into the new system.

also that package price is lol, just converting gold to 2 mil credits and buying a skill book would be a lot cheaper.

They used to do the 1-skill crews before, it was why stuff like the Berlin Quartet were valuable because instead of just getting XP for BIA, you got it for free. That and you know, nothing can ever be simple or easy. Lead to the comedy that was the Rudy getting us like, 3 sets of crew for the drat thing with various amounts of skills.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Flayer posted:

Tier8 is going to have trash matchmaking on console for a while - last year they had an OP that paid out today with a free (or discounted) TierX very heavily armoured premium Russian heavy. Every other Tier8 is going to queue into a TierX match where they will have an even more horrible time trying to pen anything than usual. Also lots of new TierX players playing their first TierX games getting blown up by Waffles and Deathstars.

T8 matches I do not mind even if I moan and groan going up against Tier X tanks.

Im just saying some of my TX tanks I have zero clue what to do when everyone else is driving in one. Sometimes I win but the majority of times I suck and lose (And suck some more).

Getting critiqued to the point to where I am not exactly enjoying the late game here lately. Its like I am supposed to know these things but im too stupid to figure it out. :smith:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Don't feel bad. I got my T10's back when the E5 was good, and the E3 while still good, I still have poo poo games in from time to time because there are so many more T9-10's then when I used to play way back before my return.

I still struggle with a lot of tanks that I even got owned by an IS6 while firing gold because hell if I know.

I was under the assumption that the side of an IS6 turret would be pennable by at least one of two 270 Pen heat rounds from the 703, but silly me it wasn't.

Then a bunch of Tech Tree Defenders and other tanks last night just ate shells and I had to stop after each T8-T10 game I played I couldn't carry by my own back.

We need to sit down and actually analyze literally all the T8-T10 tanks in the game and figure exactly where we should shoot them because there are so many now and not all of them have the same weak points even though it sure feels like it when I drive one of them.

Fire heat at the front plate of a 703 in my 703, bounce. They shoot the same back at me, of friggin course it pens for a high roll.

I guess the moral of the story is, gently caress whatever RNG they use because it is biased as gently caress on random days of the week.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

T8 matches I do not mind even if I moan and groan going up against Tier X tanks.

Im just saying some of my TX tanks I have zero clue what to do when everyone else is driving in one. Sometimes I win but the majority of times I suck and lose (And suck some more).

Getting critiqued to the point to where I am not exactly enjoying the late game here lately. Its like I am supposed to know these things but im too stupid to figure it out. :smith:

It depends what tank you're in and how heavily lopsided to TierX the match is. Like if I'm driving the IS-3 and I load into a match with 10 TierX tanks on each side I'm going to have a bad time but if I'm in say a Tiger 2 at least I can get some long distance pens and troll people with my turret (even though in a Tier8 game the IS-3 is probably the stronger tank).

As mentioned above I only have 1 TierX myself (E-50 M) but having played a lot of Tier8/9 tanks in TierX games really helped having the right mentality in those games - take it slower, ease into the game on a spot on your side of the map and be generally cautious. Definitely helped me have some good early TierX games where I was very patient for the first 5 minutes and didn't trade any damage if I could help it and then could deal a lot of damage towards the end of the battle when it was clear which parts of the map were safe to hunt in. Yolo really sucks at TierX because the big guns punish you hard and the heavy armour trolls snapshots more than at lower tiers.

I'm sure someone better than me would have more experienced advice but that's worked for me as a new to TierX player.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
WoT: Oh you are playing in a platoon? Here, your team enjoys eating crayons and your opponents are unicums. Good luck!

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Flayer posted:

I'm sure someone better than me would have more experienced advice but that's worked for me as a new to TierX player.

I platoon with some goons here and its obvious I am a lot of the times the weakest link. Which is ok. I do not like to be super competitive but at the same time I would at least like to help fellow platoon goons win by pulling a bit of weight. The game is fun trying to learn what to do in certain situations and I do learn of some neat stuff when playing in higher tiers. Its just when I platoon in Tier X I honestly get spooked and have no idea what to do in say the Progetto 65. I can make calls and say "Hey im gonna head by the hill on E6" or whatever then all of a sudden I get blapped because the enemy team guessed where someone was and it just so happens they found me there camping bush spotting above a hill. It's infuriating and I feel like its my fault.

Like I said from day one I am only here to have fun and play the game with goons.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I can make calls and say "Hey im gonna head by the hill on E6" or whatever then all of a sudden I get blapped because the enemy team guessed where someone was and it just so happens they found me there camping bush spotting above a hill. It's infuriating and I feel like its my fault.

All I can say about this is once you play enough games and know how the flow on maps works its pretty easy to guess what bush people are sitting in when you get spotted or at least a very good idea of their general area if there are a lot of potential bush man spots.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

BadLlama posted:

All I can say about this is once you play enough games and know how the flow on maps works its pretty easy to guess what bush people are sitting in when you get spotted or at least a very good idea of their general area if there are a lot of potential bush man spots.

Oh yeah I too have guessed and started gambling on my shots a bit more. Circon opened my eyes on that and it feels so loving good nailing a shot when you guess correctly.

I'm just gonna keep playing games and try to get my WR% up. :)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Will you stop it with the self depreciation when playing tanks dude?! You are by far one of the few newbies that has grown and gotten better immensely since I came back and that's not a joke. Even your recommendations for specific takes are spot the hell on and yet you still think you're worse than us in some meaningful way.

The game has RNG like woah and I have days where I go from feeling like I am one with my tank, literally carrying a team to victory against all odds, and then days where I actually have 0 damage games because I took a wrong turn and the entire enemy team was there, or just overall I made a stupid mistake because even I still have a lot to learn about the maps and certain mechanics in the game still.

You're situational awareness comes with time and practice, but outside of that, you are still better than like 98% of the pubbies that play this game and probably most goons too.

Never is platooning with you a bad idea or bad time. Me, Blarg, Turmoilx, and pretty much anyone else could say the same.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

have they said when frontlines might return?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

We are world of tanks players, the self flagellation is pretty much required.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Crazyeyes24 posted:

We are world of tanks players, the self flagellation is pretty much built in.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Taking a step back and trying to enjoy the game for what it is can be hard.

I am not in OTTER anymore, I do not need to keep my stats in purple, I will probably never join a competitive clan again. I have nothing to prove to anyone besides shinning my own E-Dick™.

With that being said, I so easily see red when playing. Get pissy about poo poo teammates, angry at myself for over extending etc etc etc.

Old habits die hard, trying to remove yourself from the tunnel of needing to be a sweaty try-hard all the time or the self deprecation of not being the best takes a shocking amount of effort to control. Also, having an audience to complain to encourages our circle jerk of toxcisity despite the fact that we all hate it.

So what I am trying to get at is, drinking is the only way to enjoy this game. Goon supremacy is long dead, we have nothing to prove to each other besides how much fun we can squeeze from this.

[/rant]

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Drink and drive race cars

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

There is a difference between being a vet at the game and being bad (either in our own view because we are hard on ourselves, or in the case of many pubbies with 30K+ battles at a 42%wr, absolute) and being sub 5K games, visibly improving to everyone around you, and still being abnormally hard on yourself.

Katamari earned that neato Platinum badge.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

i get really fuckin' mad at least once every time i sit down for a session of world of tanks

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

EdEddnEddy posted:

Will you stop it with the self depreciation when playing tanks dude?!

It's something I need to work on and I apologize.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Katamari earned that neato Platinum badge.

A coder stole money from me, ran away from the forums, and gave me this icon. I think I am the only one on SA with it. I didn't Earn it.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I don't get mad really that much at all because I know the vast majority of my bad games are because of my own mistakes. Right now, being aggressive without overextending is a problem for me. If I ever get that part worked out, I'm sure there'll be something else I can improve.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

When you're playing and you are thinking things through in your head and your internal monologue says 'I if I do Y then surely my team will do x' hit your fuckin breaks and turn around.

never trust your team to do anything but have their tank exist, then base your strategy on that

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I have found that I can almost always do the best in T8+ games by sitting at the cap (or backing up a bit if it's one of those lovely easy to get spotted 10 seconds in caps) and waiting a minute or two to see how the battle is starting to play out.

As a full HP tank, I have had some luck in turning the tide of a battle more than once by joining late (usually do to something stupid like a loading bug that sticks at the end of the loading screen, but never drops you ingame so you have to relog).

I think I did something along the same lines as this years ago before my big break. Every battle start and wait 30 seconds at least before you jump into the front line.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Besides the inherently bullshit inclusion of their RNG, there are 29 other people in your game that you have close to 0 effect on.

A long time ago Hellsau said the following (which is so relevant today), try to do your own HP in damage. We can only control ourselves, the other mouth breathing dipshits on our team probably do not understand what fire is and have not developed frontal lobes. If they gently caress up and lose the game that's just part of the coin flip. Do what you can, ignore the fuckwits.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Agreed, however you have the ability to affect what others possibly have done and the biggest thing I do see in a lot of game where one team gets wiped while the other has literally no losses, is lack of kills.

I see a lot of teams deal damage so there are a bunch of double digit health enemies left, but that means there are guns still on the field shooting back and if they are getting kills, then well, it doesn't matter what their HP is at.

I try to focus on kills and of course you are only 1 of 30 so it is a tossup on if you can make a difference, but sometimes you can at least with a flank.

Sometimes you can get lucky and lead a flank with semi competent others that sort of back you up and when you shoot someone, they shoot them too and amazingly, it works because hey, focus fire is a thing. Rare but when it does happen especially when you're outnumbered and still pull it off, it feels good.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Embrace the blunicum lifestyle. Good enough to be in the top 5% of players without giving a poo poo about how you play.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

EdEddnEddy posted:

Agreed, however you have the ability to affect what others possibly have done and the biggest thing I do see in a lot of game where one team gets wiped while the other has literally no losses, is lack of kills.

I see a lot of teams deal damage so there are a bunch of double digit health enemies left, but that means there are guns still on the field shooting back and if they are getting kills, then well, it doesn't matter what their HP is at.

I try to focus on kills and of course you are only 1 of 30 so it is a tossup on if you can make a difference, but sometimes you can at least with a flank.

Sometimes you can get lucky and lead a flank with semi competent others that sort of back you up and when you shoot someone, they shoot them too and amazingly, it works because hey, focus fire is a thing. Rare but when it does happen especially when you're outnumbered and still pull it off, it feels good.

When it does work it does feel super amazing. I had a game last week where we pulled off a pincer maneuver with out medium and light tanks and took out an entire flank in 2 minutes flat with damage only and no deaths.

poo poo like that makes this game feel all worth it.

As weird as this sounds, if they took out chat and somehow successful pull off what Apex Legends has done with their communication system it could be a more enjoyable game. But I am just speculating...

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Mesadoram posted:

As weird as this sounds, if they took out chat and somehow successful pull off what Apex Legends has done with their communication system it could be a more enjoyable game. But I am just speculating...

I agree with this, I tend to get betters results with the follow me, attack, help etc macros then explaining to someone that where they are sitting is useless until the game is already over

but it could also be because I address them as the pile of poo poo sitting in a bush

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Mesadoram posted:

Besides the inherently bullshit inclusion of their RNG, there are 29 other people in your game that you have close to 0 effect on.

A long time ago Hellsau said the following (which is so relevant today), try to do your own HP in damage. We can only control ourselves, the other mouth breathing dipshits on our team probably do not understand what fire is and have not developed frontal lobes. If they gently caress up and lose the game that's just part of the coin flip. Do what you can, ignore the fuckwits.

Expanding on this - if you do damage equal to the HP you bring to the battle, and then die, you have accomplished the bare minimum and are no longer the worst player on your team by default. This is complicated by sometimes you don't deal your own HP in damage but enable more than that damage by spotting or forcing enemies into a bad spot or dying early yet keeping more teammates alive who go on to deal an outsized amount of damage, and yeah dealing your own hp in damage in the first two minutes is worth way more than dealing your own hp in damage in the last two minutes - whatever, ignore that poo poo, deal your own HP in damage in every game and then move on to more complicated stuff.

also playing perfectly in world of tanks provides you with nearly zero noticable benefit and takes a tremendous amount of effort compared to just holding w and left click, like you'll get a few percent extra xp and lose out on a ton of credits for those last few win percentage points, don't bother, the big clans who look at stats are mostly idiots just looking at whatever dumbass numbers make themselves look good, basically anything that could be hidden by a reroll is meaningless but good luck convincing the almost-goods that poo poo ain't the most important everything, just shoot enemy tanks

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Hellsau posted:

the big clans who look at stats are mostly idiots just looking at whatever dumbass numbers make themselves look good

it was fun back in the day beating up on clans with ~high winrate~ with our cobbled together collection of goons with winrates all over the board I have to admit

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
This thread is so wholesome :unsmith:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I am sad to report that I have been trying to stream snype WGNA today and so far I have not been able to get into the same game with them.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I turned off in game chat and I find it's making me calm down a little more. I still get pissed, but I don't blast the screen with "you idiots, you worthless @#$# with @#$# in your brains doing nothing but @#$# in this game". Stuff like that.

That said, I'd never message someone after a match... unless it is to compliment them on doing something good. I'm practically a dang saint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Yeah I think I have only ever raged messaged someone after a game once back in all chat days

probably some sky shitter trolling me real good

I still get messages after battle but its generally "hacker gold noob spammer" or "Nice game dude"