Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1214274155559956480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

nrook posted:

This has been matty g's take for like the last three months. I feel like he's like literally the only person who was super duper wrong on the war in iraq and actually became anti war due to that.
Glen Greenwald did a quick turn when it was still a hard thing to do. Yglesias took until conventional wisdom started to turn I think, could be wrong about that, but yeah he was really young in 2003. Max Boot I think only turned when he became part of the Resistance™.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
leonard

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

nrook posted:

This has been matty g's take for like the last three months. I feel like he's like literally the only person who was super duper wrong on the war in iraq and actually became anti war due to that.

matty became a lot of things. remember his turn as The Hot Young Liberal Natsec Wonk, before he pivoted to explaining what percentage of liquified bangladeshis is acceptable to keep him in cheap pants?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

go away YMB, you're a huge weird creep

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

go away YMB, you're a huge weird creep

:lol: what? Delve into this, if you would.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Majorian posted:

:lol: what? Delve into this, if you would.

basically ze pollack/YMB's post history in any global south thread - ME and venezuela come to mind. the people they're taking down are always ghouls like volkerball or local/emigrant warhawks who are scarcely better but the posts are always creepy and masturbatory. when i was talking about the difference between leftists who post bad and centrists who post evil, YMB was the poster child for the former.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
I asked in Book Barn but didn't get much of an answer, so I'll ask here: What are the best books about the 2016 election? I'd like something more analytical and less focused on insider gossip, but mostly I'd like it to be reliable.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
ze pollack is good imo. Weird, but good.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cease to Hope posted:

basically ze pollack/YMB's post history in any global south thread - ME and venezuela come to mind. the people they're taking down are always ghouls like volkerball or local/emigrant warhawks who are scarcely better but the posts are always creepy and masturbatory. when i was talking about the difference between leftists who post bad and centrists who post evil, YMB was the poster child for the former.

see this is what i mean when i say d&d is a centrist paradise forum. ZP and YMB are arguing against wars that will kill hundreds of thousands of people but because they do it the wrong way, they are not welcome while the ghouls desiring mega-death are

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

see this is what i mean when i say d&d is a centrist paradise forum. ZP and YMB are arguing against wars that will kill hundreds of thousands of people but because they do it the wrong way, they are not welcome while the ghouls desiring mega-death are

ze pollack is YMB, they're the same person and same account.

you can have good politics and still be annoying as poo poo. cordial, polite posters with horrible politics are worse people and worse posters than annoying leftists. writing your masturbatory fantasies about venezuelans being tortured to prove you right is less evil than arguing in favor of the US invading venezuela but it's still bad posting

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

not the intention, but I see how it comes off that way. what can I say, I really liked Mark Twain's bit where the angel shows up after someone asking "o lord, grant us victory" and saying "hey, i'm an emissary of god, he will grant your prayer, if only you speak it in full, with all the miseries and horrors you are demanding he inflict on your enemies."

and it's fun watching warmongers start to whine about how dare someone harsh their buzz in the aftermath.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

ze pollack is YMB, they're the same person and same account.

you can have good politics and still be annoying as poo poo. cordial, polite posters with horrible politics are worse people and worse posters than annoying leftists. writing your masturbatory fantasies about venezuelans being tortured to prove you right is less evil than arguing in favor of the US invading venezuela but it's still bad posting

on the one hand R. Guyovitch denied concentration camps existed, but on the other hand he did give me this fantastic namechange

in conclusion mass murder apologists are a land of contrasts

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

to be fair homex was never a good leftist, or a good poster

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
e: nevermind, zp can defend himself just fine.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Wax Dynasty posted:

I asked in Book Barn but didn't get much of an answer, so I'll ask here: What are the best books about the 2016 election?

Well, you have plenty of options and-

Wax Dynasty posted:

I'd like something more analytical and less focused on insider gossip, but mostly I'd like it to be reliable.

Ah, I've got nothing.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Wax Dynasty posted:

I asked in Book Barn but didn't get much of an answer, so I'll ask here: What are the best books about the 2016 election? I'd like something more analytical and less focused on insider gossip, but mostly I'd like it to be reliable.

As unsatisfying an answer as it may be, I think we're still a few years away from a retrospective that hits all those targets.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Wax Dynasty posted:

step one is get a time machine to go to post-2036 and hope humanity still exists as a soft rule in history is to not touch stuff until 20 years have passed

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
All right, gently caress it then - are there any 2016 election books that are worth reading, or at the very least, entertaining?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

not the intention, but I see how it comes off that way. what can I say, I really liked Mark Twain's bit where the angel shows up after someone asking "o lord, grant us victory" and saying "hey, i'm an emissary of god, he will grant your prayer, if only you speak it in full, with all the miseries and horrors you are demanding he inflict on your enemies."

and it's fun watching warmongers start to whine about how dare someone harsh their buzz in the aftermath.

posting isn't praxis, and somehow everyone else figured out how to call out those people as warmongering ghouls without the elaborate snuff fetish nonsense

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Why are the mods of this subforum having an apoplectic meltdown in cspam right now lol

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
CSPAMers seem to be melting down that their forum is not a top-level forum? I don't quite understand why that's important.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Volunteering to moderate this place is self-selection of SA's finest, and definitely not for those with major brain problems

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

How are u posted:

CSPAMers seem to be melting down that their forum is not a top-level forum? I don't quite understand why that's important.

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with what's happening right now, actually.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

How are u posted:

We've been dissatisfied with PPJ and logik's moderation for quite a while, and making CSPAM a top-level forum would ensure that PPJ won't gently caress with it anymore. We find it a little hard to trust the promises that he won't gently caress with CSPAM as it stands. At the moment, QCS is closed, so we can't really voice those complaints there, but every time someone makes a thread on the topic in CSPAM, it gets gassed and the OP gets probed. So it's not a pretty situation.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
flame wars will burn until they are either put out or run out

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Also dickeye and crazy cloud still aren't free.

I'm pretty rambunctious about that part myself!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

Also dickeye and crazy cloud still aren't free.

I'm pretty rambunctious about that part myself!

Yeah, Benghazi 2 getting perma-ed for murky reasons, to put it charitably, is a really bad look when the forums are trying to be more trans-welcoming.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i am ambivalent because i still don't like people getting in their heads that making repeated, sincere death threats online is cool and i don't know anything about dickeye so whatever

i swear sometimes it seems like this site is a few metal justifications off from trying to say doxxing forum members is appropriate as long as we don't like the target

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

The Shortest Path posted:

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with what's happening right now, actually.

I don't really post in or read cspam much, but I've lurked a few drama threads and I see people demanding it a lot.

I don't really know, I just occasionally read the climate and "post a picture" threads.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I for one greatly enjoy that the admins said D&D mods would stay out of cspam, followed immediately by D&D mods gassing a whole bunch of threads in cspam. Really makes the staff of these forums look like they have their poo poo together.

I don't even post in cspam, I'm just sick of bigot apologists and decorum obsessed nitwits having free reign in d&d while the people upset about that poo poo are getting probated and banned constantly.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Shortest Path posted:

I for one greatly enjoy that the admins said D&D mods would stay out of cspam, followed immediately by D&D mods gassing a whole bunch of threads in cspam. Really makes the staff of these forums look like they have their poo poo together.

I don't even post in cspam, I'm just sick of bigot apologists and decorum obsessed nitwits having free reign in d&d while the people upset about that poo poo are getting probated and banned constantly.

They’re just cosplaying the death throes of the Russian Tsardom.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

How are u posted:

I don't really post in or read cspam much, but I've lurked a few drama threads and I see people demanding it a lot.

I don't really know, I just occasionally read the climate and "post a picture" threads.

its because the anarchist contingent thinks any authority is fascism

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The ability of sa mods to literally never handle problems like adults is loving hilarious

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its because the anarchist contingent thinks any authority is fascism

i saw a fair few people who misunderstood that fighting the mods is somehow fighting power structures that actually matter but dickeye getting a perma is some bullcrap. crazy cloud always seemed cool too but i saw their posting less

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The ability of sa mods to literally never handle problems like adults is loving hilarious

it really is!

also, for the record.

PPJ being a nazi hunter is legitimately hilarious. dude, lean into that poo poo!

also, also, for the record

free dickeye free lastgirl free crazy cloud

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

i saw a fair few people who misunderstood that fighting the mods is somehow fighting power structures that actually matter but dickeye getting a perma is some bullcrap. crazy cloud always seemed cool too but i saw their posting less

yeah the dickeye perma was out the blue-ish, crazy cloud is, as their name suggests, crazy and probably should have eaten a perma way earlier

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

nobody should post here

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Perhaps if the moderation team had properly handled the lovely bad faith trolls and bigots constantly hounding those posters, they wouldn't have lashed out at them. Crazy thought, I know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

R. Mute posted:

nobody should post here

gently caress you I'll post