Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Just for the record, a $200k salary would utterly transform my life, and the lives of my extended family, since I would help them. My sister lost her house in the recession over a debt much less than $200k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

redreader posted:

Holy poo poo, this was in a sidebar on the frontpage of CNN. Bernie's going to win. "Bernie Sanders could actually win this thing" https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/07/politics/bernie-sanders-joe-biden-2020-democratic-primary/index.html

I wonder how much this will snowball. I'm sure there are lots of people who think "I like bernie, but he probably won't win, so I'll support [other candidate].". Once articles like this come out, it's bound to change some minds.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Anyone in the PMC should be able to weather a job loss mainly due to the fact that the PMC generally has things like 401ks etc that they can pull from plus you'll frequently end up with severance. The working poor do not have this.

I'm a computer toucher in an expensive city and if you fired me tomorrow i'd be ok for at least a few months.

When I didn't have this job I would have been out on my rear end when I didn't make my next rent payment and couldn't buy food. Many cities have really poo poo protections for renters and it takes a lot longer for a bank to evict you out of a mortgage if you have a house. There's so many factors that make life just that little bit more stable for the PMC.

There's a huge difference in the security level. The lack of security that the working poor have causes all kinds of stress related health issues that compound.

What alot of the fellow PMCers in even expensive cities don't seem to realize is that the people who make your food? All making probably less than 1/4th what you do. You feel like you are struggling? They are struggling so much harder. They are so much more stressed. They are so much more on the brink.

And that's why i'm diehard for Bernie. If Bernie directly said my job was going away the minute he got elected I would still vote for him. I would be OK. My skills translate to a lot of different things as does most of the PMC.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The PMC can just eat their retirement if they lose their job! Is not a good selling point about financial security.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ratbert90 posted:

The PMC can just eat their retirement if they lose their job! Is not a good selling point about financial security.

Not at all but its still a momentary cushion that most don't have.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

beats the poo poo out of eating pavement tho

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

silicone thrills posted:

What alot of the fellow PMCers in even expensive cities don't seem to realize is that the people who make your food? All making probably less than 1/4th what you do. You feel like you are struggling? They are struggling so much harder. They are so much more stressed. They are so much more on the brink.
They also probably work harder, honestly.

I have a friend who used to be a waitress until she graduated college to code. It's so cringey to go out to eat with her and listen to her talk poo poo because the waiter or waitress didn't ask if everything was okay enough times.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Gyges posted:

Joe Biden; Pretty sure that hot stove won't burn him a third time.

You know he doesn't believe it, right? It's a tactic.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Epicurius posted:

You know he doesn't believe it, right? It's a tactic.

He believes it because all he remembers about republicans are his old segregationist buddies.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Faustian Bargain posted:

They also probably work harder, honestly.

I have a friend who used to be a waitress until she graduated college to code. It's so cringey to go out to eat with her and listen to her talk poo poo because the waiter or waitress didn't ask if everything was okay enough times.

Every coder I know that’s my age (early 30’s) work insane hours. I don’t think I have had a week that’s less than 60 hours in 3 months. In the last 10 years I have averaged around 55 hours a week.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

redreader posted:

Holy poo poo, this was in a sidebar on the frontpage of CNN. Bernie's going to win. "Bernie Sanders could actually win this thing" https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/07/politics/bernie-sanders-joe-biden-2020-democratic-primary/index.html

Or, "In Which Chris Cillizza Finally Gets a Clue"

Cillizza is so dumb that if I didn't know he is actually just 2-3 weeks behind every other news analyst, I would actually take this article as a bad omen

Jay-V fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 8, 2020

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Every coder I know that’s my age (early 30’s) work insane hours. I don’t think I have had a week that’s less than 60 hours in 3 months. In the last 10 years I have averaged around 55 hours a week.

What hours do you think waitresses work, for the record?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ratbert90 posted:

Now imagine working 60 hours a week while breaking your whole body while getting paid dick all.

All of us workers need to be in it together and that means don't pearl clutch when we talk about making things significantly better for the workers who have it worse.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 8, 2020

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Hey guys, if we are going to determine sides in the class struggle, can we stick to "workers vs owners"? I know, we'll piss off the Waltons who definitely post ITT, but I'm ok with that.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

ratbert90 posted:

And? How is this relevant?

If it matters to you, I also am a programmer and do not work insane hours, and neither does she.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

What hours do you think waitresses work, for the record?

Depends on the job. This is why saying poo poo like: “They probably work harder” is dumb and bad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ratbert90 posted:

Do you work in the games industry or something? This isn't true of any programmers that I know. Hell, I'm a self-employed programmer making not wildly less than six-figures and I work maybe 35 hour weeks most of the time. I might average slightly higher if you count non-billable time, but I definitely have not averaged 40 hours over the last four or five years. Most of the regular, full-time programmers that I know work pretty strict 35-40 hour weeks.

Meanwhile I have a buddy who works 60+ hour weeks in a warehouse and doesn't break $40k/year

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
i'm a pmc programmer succdem, i work 40 hour weeks, and i'm voting for bernie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Bernie Sanders is definitely going to win. He's the only candidate making an unequivocal moral statement against the war. While all the other candidates are doing the exact same "Hrm yes well, you see, Iran is evil and it should be stopped at any cost but Trump didn't fill out the right forms and I would let Iran keep being evil because I'm a pussy" poo poo that helped Kerry eat poo poo in 2004.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

ratbert90 posted:

Depends on the job. This is why saying poo poo like: “They probably work harder” is dumb and bad.
Have you ever worked a customer service or food job?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

OK so you don't know poo poo. Good to know.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Faustian Bargain posted:

Have you ever worked a customer service or food job?

Yes. I was also a land scaper and worked call centers and retail for years.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Gripweed posted:

Bernie Sanders is definitely going to win. He's the only candidate making an unequivocal moral statement against the war. While all the other candidates are doing the exact same "Hrm yes well, you see, Iran is evil and it should be stopped at any cost but Trump didn't fill out the right forms and I would let Iran keep being evil because I'm a pussy" poo poo that helped Kerry eat poo poo in 2004.

as awful as the whole situation is, I do think it's really going to help Bernie. He can draw some clear distinctions at a crucial point, it lets him dredge up old poo poo about Biden, and, coincidentally, it all coincides with the 'Bernie can win' narrative.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ratbert90 posted:

You really don't think landscaping is physically harder on your body than coding and doesn't deserve the same level or more compensation than programming after working landscaping?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

ratbert90 posted:

So you're willfully an rear end in a top hat, rather than from ignorance.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Nice to see Butt labeled "former mayor". Hopefully "former politician" is in his future.

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/aterkel/status/1214651551194787845

I think Biden's idiot voters actually buy this.

America can have a little malarkey

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Watching class solidarity crumble in real time is very sad.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

OK I see that for some reason the insinuation that some poor waiter/waitress might POSSIBLY work harder than you as you sit in an office chair in front of a computer all day is insulting, but can we just agree here that you're in an easier spot than the person who is on their feet hour hours on end, servicing strangers for 25% of what you make every hour, who needs to beg their manager for more shifts, etc?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

You really don't think landscaping is physically harder on your body than coding and doesn't deserve the same level or more compensation than programming after working landscaping?

That’s not what I said nor implied.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

i'm a pmc programmer succdem, i work 40 hour weeks, and i'm voting for bernie

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

If you're worried about class solidarity I suggest you start by going and preaching it to the people who make six figures or more, they seem to need a refresher pretty badly.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

If you're worried about class solidarity I suggest you start by going and preaching it to the people who make six figures or more, they seem to need a refresher pretty badly.

:ironicat:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

reignonyourparade posted:

He believes it because all he remembers about republicans are his old segregationist buddies.

Biden's entire campaign so far has been "Trump is destroying this country, and I'm the only one who can beat him and make stuff the way it was back in the Obama years."

It's a tactic, just like his "I'd pick any VP who wants to make stuff better, even a Republican". He's not going to do that. He knows what the Republicans are like. He knows what McConnell is like. But he also knows there are a lot of people...a lot of Democrats who like the idea of comity and bipartisanship, and who are upset with all the anger and fighting. He's taking up the mantle of the Happy Warrior, good old Uncle Joe, back for one last fight to save us from Trump and bring us back to normal.

Now, you might not like this message, and you might not think it will work. You might think the old normal wasn't so great. But that's what Biden is trying to do, and you shouldn't underestimate him. Biden is cleverer than some people think.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tell me more about how it's actually the poors who are destroying class solidarity by not having enough sympathy for the woes of HENRY types.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Problem is that the Obama years weren't really great for the majority of the country. It was a lovely status quo and then Trump by some miracle managed to make it worse.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The coder/waitress class struggle goes another level deeper, too. My partner was a line cook making $1 an above minimum wage in a fancy (though not 3 star fancy) restaurant. The servers got all the tips and could not be made to share with the cooks. So the servers averaged $200 - $300 a night working 6 - 7 hours and the cooks busting their asses out of sight and mind of the tipping PMC customers made $100 a night. The cooks thought the waitresses were rich assholes. Meanwhile they loved their 'chef' who owned the joint, despite him disappearing twice a year to vacation in his parent's Swiss chalet.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
God drat the backbiting & crabbucketing in this thread is rendering it unreadable.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ranter posted:

The coder/waitress class struggle goes another level deeper, too. My partner was a line cook making $1 an above minimum wage in a fancy (though not 3 star fancy) restaurant. The servers got all the tips and could not be made to share with the cooks. So the servers averaged $200 - $300 a night working 6 - 7 hours and the cooks busting their asses out of sight and mind of the tipping PMC customers made $100 a night. The cooks thought the waitresses were rich assholes.

Yeah I saw this in Seattle when we implimented the higher minimum wage and a bunch of restaurants said they weren't going to have tip lines on checks anymore. Alot of the rich restaurant waiters got really pissy about it. Everyone quieted down about it fairly soon because people still end up tipping out for really good service here.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Haha yeah I was gonna say that.

It's pretty funny watching this thread implode into a slapfight because some people have 6 figures and we invalidate their economic anxiety because other people have it worse than they do...
There's an old I think hebrew saying that translates to "May you have everything and then lose it".

The implication is that its much easier to adjust to being poor when you've never experienced what it's like to live an affluent lifestyle. If you have things and then have them taken away its a lot harder to adjust because you haven't had to survive that. Even between me and my Eastern European parents there is a massive difference. My mom knows how to shop all the outlet stores and get by with spending as little money as possible. By comparison my own spending habits exceed the money she would spend to achieve the same goals. Western society is very good at finding ways to pick your pocket and drain you of all your money. Some people are better equipped to deal with that and others less so. Thats the only difference.

We all end up in the same pit if we lose our jobs. Former colleagues suddenly don't wanna talk to you anymore, your ability to be a member of society is diminished and your value as a human being when rendered unemployed is reduced to that of a cockroach. Everyone looks at you like some leper when you're unemployed. Whether you were a PMC, a shop floor worker or anything else I find the experience to be the same.

You guys need to stop fighting eachother just because buddy got a promotion and makes 100k now and suddenly you want his fully loaded Honda Accord because you cant afford one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

Haha yeah I was gonna say that.

It's pretty funny watching this thread implode into a slapfight because some people have 6 figures and we invalidate their economic anxiety because other people have it worse than they do...
There's an old I think hebrew saying that translates to "May you have everything and then lose it".

The implication is that its much easier to adjust to being poor when you've never experienced what it's like to live an affluent lifestyle. If you have things and then have them taken away its a lot harder to adjust because you haven't had to survive that. Even between me and my Eastern European parents there is a massive difference. My mom knows how to shop all the outlet stores and get by with spending as little money as possible. By comparison my own spending habits exceed the money she would spend to achieve the same goals. Western society is very good at finding ways to pick your pocket and drain you of all your money. Some people are better equipped to deal with that and others less so. Thats the only difference.

We all end up in the same pit if we lose our jobs. Former colleagues suddenly don't wanna talk to you anymore, your ability to be a member of society is diminished and your value as a human being when rendered unemployed is reduced to that of a cockroach. Everyone looks at you like some leper when you're unemployed. Whether you were a PMC, a shop floor worker or anything else I find the experience to be the same.

You guys need to stop fighting eachother just because buddy got a promotion and makes 100k now and suddenly you want his fully loaded Honda Accord because you cant afford one.

lmao this post has it all

e: like seriously this is some of the most tone deaf poo poo I have read in this thread, it's amazing what kind of poo poo you guys post when you feel attacked

rscott fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 8, 2020