Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Just bought 100 shares of AMD today to sell some slightly OTM calls on and now I'm hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Oh please. Wake me up when futures are down 2 or 3

movax
Aug 30, 2008

fougera posted:

Oh please. Wake me up when futures are down 2 or 3

All is well!

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
BA going to lift indexes into the green on the day we’re blaming technical difficulties for the crash of the last airworthy plane in the world, full of Iranians, which Putin ordered Trump to shoot down to deescalate tensions in the Middle East, what a timeline

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

movax posted:

All is well!

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

BA going to lift indexes into the green on the day we’re blaming technical difficulties for the crash of the last airworthy plane in the world, full of Iranians, which Putin ordered Trump to shoot down to deescalate tensions in the Middle East, what a timeline

Technical difficulties :colbert:

Also,

movax posted:

All is well!

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Ghosn's press conference is absolute chaos.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
He's staying in corporate housing! He's amazing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo he's really doing a presser from exile in Lebanon lol.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I must be an incredibly gullible sucker because my working hypothesis is still that the whole thing is a trumped up nationalistic hit done as an inside job by the Japanese/Nissan on him.

FREE GHOSN.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
He hid how much he paid himself so that his bosses will continue to trust him with the authority to set how much he pays himself. entrapment!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Sold AMD calls yesterday and then bought again today on the dip. Not on the bottom but I'm in the green for now.

When is their CES presentation?

Edit: looks like they already did their announcement. Going to go long...

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Tesla up to $500 today. Crazy.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
oops itci

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Anyone here actually do work on GME and has a view to share? Not looking for goon biased commentary

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Lote posted:

Tesla up to $500 today. Crazy.

You see people that buy $120,000 cars are price sensitive to 20 cent a gallon gas price increases.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Elephanthead posted:

You see people that buy $120,000 cars are price sensitive to 20 cent a gallon gas price increases.

This but unironically.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

gently caress this

Tesla is worth more than GM and Ford?

Conflict in Middle East resolved and all is well and we move on?

Stonks went up?

chaos reigns

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
The market is rational

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’ve been wanting to buy into TSLA for a while. Looks like 500 might be a bit of a ceiling. Hoping for a pull back to 450 to buy in.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

movax posted:

gently caress this

Tesla is worth more than GM and Ford?

Conflict in Middle East resolved and all is well and we move on?

Stonks went up?

chaos reigns

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

fougera posted:

Anyone here actually do work on GME and has a view to share? Not looking for goon biased commentary

There's already enough stuff out there if you care for the quantitative analysis. My not-particularly-helpful opinion is that buying this means that a) you think this business will shrink slower than the market seems to believe (and I am not confident in that, at all) and, if so, b) management won't misinvest the cashflows coming off the dying business (which I am not confident about either, although they have been buying a shitload of stock).

It's also in a business that, if you zoom out, won't and shouldn't exist ten years from now.

You might make money but GME seems like a classic value trap. I have no position though.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Don't buy TSLA at $450

Maybe buy TSLA calls ahead of earnings on the theory that whatever financial fuckery they've been up to will not get exposed in the next 30 days.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
lol at buying TSLA at anything about the weed number that elon manipulated it to from $215 in August

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I just don't touch TSLA at all and my quality of life has improved considerably as a direct result of this choice

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I like Tesla but not at any of those prices.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Approaching $500 now. Is there a program where I could track how well hypothetical short positions would do? I don't want to actually gamble money on options but I do want to get a faint glimmer of the satisfaction that an actual short position would produce if and when this whole thing comes tumbling down.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1215023882408775681

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
That poo poo will run to 550 before it drops

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I have no idea what fantasy has Tesla tumbling down suddenly... they have easy access to capital markets if it gets tight

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

greasyhands posted:

I have no idea what fantasy has Tesla tumbling down suddenly... they have easy access to capital markets if it gets tight

I guess you lack imagination, then. Their price has doubled in the last three months and they've seen plenty of quick corrections in the past. In any case I'm not wagering any actual money on this.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I meant the company collapsing, not the stock price. There’s a bunch of people barking as if there’s some huge fraud there that no one else has spotted

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

greasyhands posted:

I meant the company collapsing, not the stock price. There’s a bunch of people barking as if there’s some huge fraud there that no one else has spotted

Oh, well, anything is possible. But yeah that's not something I intended to imply was happening.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

i haven’t touched TSLA since I did a long vol trade in the summer of ‘17, might be time for me to go long vol again. The last trade was profitable, but only because I bought both legs of the long vol trade.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

greasyhands posted:

Q1 air pocket just like last year - channel is fully stuffed in the Netherlands with their tax credit rolloff, US still had some pull forward even with the 1.8K FIT rolloff, no new markets to introduce M3 to

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

hostile apostle posted:

Q1 air pocket just like last year - channel is fully stuffed in the Netherlands with their tax credit rolloff, US still had some pull forward even with the 1.8K FIT rolloff, no new markets to introduce M3 to

Can you ELI5 whatever this means?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Tesla is not worthless $0 stock company but it sure as poo poo isn’t worth a valuation that prices in that they will take over the industry over the next twenty years either. Amazon broke everyone’s brains with these crappy zero or super low profit VC money pit companies. They all get hyped up like they will do the same thing. “It’s not just a car company!”yeah it is.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Yeah, like tesla made 367,500 cars in 2919 ford sold 5.9 million vehicles in 2018, Tesla does not deserve a valuation higher than ford in my opinion.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

but but Elon

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

greasyhands posted:

It's had a weird history, and there WERE times, even by Musk's admission, that the company was on the verge of collapse. My memory's a little hazy but I think the most recent one was late 2018.

These days they've raised enough money to withstand some pain, so the bankruptcy risk is more remote. But they still need to start making serious money at some point to justify the valuation. I don't own it but a car company trading at a 42 PE under particularly rosy assumptions is absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I take Musk saying they were about to collapse about as seriously as I take his other claims-people always selectively believe what he says but Tesla had capital access during those times, it just wouldnt have been pretty. And theyre more than a car company... Waymo is valued at over 100B for comparison. Argue whatever about the valuation but dont compare them to loving ford when they have cars driving themselves around in the wild for millions of miles (edit: Billions) with a better safety record with autopilot on vs off. The market is givin g them plenty of credit for what they are doing, but for whatever reason theres a cadre of haters that clearly dont get the market potential.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 9, 2020