Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SardonicTyrant posted:

Are there any rules on doing Let's Reads? I couldn't seem to find any.

what sort of rules were you looking for?

Hasn't been an issue so far, not gonna impose a rule unless there's a real need for it. Standard forum rules apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

Are there any rules on doing Let's Reads? I couldn't seem to find any.

No, there are no rules against making very bad threads in this forum

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

A human heart posted:

No, there are no rules against making very bad threads in this forum

Or bad posts, either.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
good posts are strongly discouraged in tbb

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

posting in general. don't post here, it's illegal

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's not a rule, but I found doing a let's read easier when I did my second attempt by doing an audiobook style thing, rather than posting the text directly. I'm having fun doing my Once Upon a Dream reading and trying to act out the varying roles.

Also, I read a book (Your Truth or Mine) that tried to advertise itself as "A couple have to reevaluate how they see each other when a harsh truth comes out about one of them that causes a domino effect" that implied that the wife would have her own terrible secret that would unveil as her husbands infidelity did, but it turned out to be just "The wife finds out that her husband is an rear end in a top hat who has a history of abusive behaviour and violence to other people and comes to terms with the fact that her entire relationship was just normalised because her own father was trash unbeknownst to her because her mother tried to protect her feelings toward him, it's just that he didn't do THIS murder."

It was advertised as Mr and Mrs Smith, but in truth turned out to be Rose Madder. However, it did have a satisfying ending where the wife sends the evidence exonerating her husband to the police so he doesn't go to jail for a murder he didn't commit, but at the same time she goes her own way and just fucks off leaving him to wallow in his own shittiness. I appreciate that she severed.

The book wasn't bad, but it was a different type of story than the blurb promised so I just spent the story being annoyed at how unlikeable the husband was despite the wife realising that being the point of the story. The biggest secret the wife has is "She's seeing a therapist and is afraid of how her husband will see her if he finds out because she already knows he's kind of an rear end about mental health issues"

I've been enjoying supermarket mystery novels in general lately, recommending a new author, CJ Tudor, who has written two books that I know of, both mysteries with a supernatural element in the primal evil vein called The Chalk Man and The Taking of Annie Thorne

They both have an interesting aspect where the supernatural thing is the source of the problems, but not the primary threat. The primary threat is always some human who's become some kind of vessel or servant, or sometimes just an rear end in a top hat on their own time, who acts as a foil for the cast.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 29, 2019

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

one of my goals for 2020 is to read the man without qualities

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ulvir posted:

one of my goals for 2020 is to read the man without quality

You may think I'm an open book
But you don't know which page to turn to

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
This book sounds interesting

https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1212569252982591489

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

That sounds superb, but it doesn’t seem to be in print as far as I can see.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/AdamOPrice/status/1213112835498283012

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So is there a thread for the current RWA implosion? It’s fairly entertaining in a sad way.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Maxwell Lord posted:

So is there a thread for the current RWA implosion? It’s fairly entertaining in a sad way.

wow, this is quite something:
https://www.vulture.com/2020/01/rwa-racism-controversy-with-courtney-milan-explained.html

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Damon Suede". No way.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/egndb7/romancelandia_romance_writers_of_america_is/

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm at my mum's place and ran out of book so I had to pick something from her library that I also have at home so I don't have to borrow one. I thought I might as well go for Waltari's "The Adventurer" as hey it's only 800 or so pages and I've had a copy since the early nineties.

Then when I pulled it out of the bookcase I LOLed out loud because it has loving Donald Trump on the cover:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/MikaelKarvajalka.jpg

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

"Damon Suede". No way.

Apparently this rear end in a top hat also managed to piss off Chuck Tingle, which is quite an achievement.

quote:

Gorblin Crimble is an aspiring romance author with a brand new novel that could be his first breakthrough hit. Of course, Gorblin is going to need some help getting his work out there, and starts by seeking likeminded creatives.

After attending a local writer’s group, Gorblin makes a new friend, Amber, who points him towards Romance Wranglers Of America. It sounds like this community is exactly the helpful, loving, supportive group that Gorblin is looking for, but when him and Amber arrive at the Romance Wranglers Of America headquarters, they quickly realize something is wrong. This once loving group has been taken over by a dark and mysterious force; lead by a man named Demon and his chanting coven of board members in jet-black robes.

Something horrible from the depths of the cosmic Void has taken hold, but is it too late to prove that romance is about love, not hate?

This important no-sex tale is 4,300 words of reasonable writers looking for a kind and supportive romance community that respects its members and treats them fairly.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Selachian posted:

Apparently this rear end in a top hat also managed to piss off Chuck Tingle, which is quite an achievement.

One of these days in going to read me a Chuck Tingle. Or are they digital only?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1214708484152995840?s=20

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I am really enjoying Ahab's Return or The Last Voyage by Jeffrey Ford. Anyone else like? What are some other good books in this vein? These classic literary re-imaginings. Anyone else check it?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Reminder, we have a TBB book chat discord:

https://discord.gg/fH4HxH

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1215621951403761664?s=20

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

:wrong:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I love looking at squiggles on paper and deriving meaning from them

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Reminder, we have a TBB book chat discord:

https://discord.gg/fH4HxH

Apparently the link is broken/expired!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i was loving disco elysium and hoping it would get a switch port or something, but i hate it now

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

What a depressing quote, Jesus.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Apparently the link is broken/expired!

https://discord.gg/vU9DtN

ulvir posted:

i was loving disco elysium and hoping it would get a switch port or something, but i hate it now

If you've played the game, the quote is semi-obvious trolling. The game is almost entirely text based and the writing is overall the best I've ever seen in any video game.

There's an eternal divide between writers who think writing should *challenge* the reader (Faulkner, Joyce, etc.) and writers who think writing should entice the reader (Dickens, Twain, etc.).

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I think it can do...both...at the same time!?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

There's an eternal divide between writers who think writing should *challenge* the reader (Faulkner, Joyce, etc.) and writers who think writing should entice the reader (Dickens, Twain, etc.).
I really wouldn't have expected a take this stupid from you.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I really wouldn't have expected a take this stupid from you.

IDK, I get the sentiment. Everyone's had the experience of "falling into" a novel, where you stop seeing the words and don't notice turning the page, you just live within the story, and it's a fantastic experience. And then there are times you marvel at the use of language or structure - it would be very difficult to "fall into", say, House of Leaves or Ship of Theseus. Which is a better experience? That depends on the reader I suppose but I enjoy both in different ways.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
On the other hand,

quote:

Kurvitz wanted to avoid the typical way RPGs feed words to their players in chunks of expository lines. "How to get it into a fast, ticking form for a brain that's been fed on Twitter and Tumblr?"

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

oof

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Any dichotomy is a false dichotomy but see Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud, pp 178-184

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Disco Elysium looks like it's extremely my jam, especially as someone who liked both Torments, but on the other hand, what the gently caress is this

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I want to read books but I get so sleepy at night, and I keep buying more and make it just out of chapter 1.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I never found Dickens enticing vOv

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

excellent bird guy posted:

I want to read books but I get so sleepy at night, and I keep buying more and make it just out of chapter 1.

Reading in bed is bad sleep hygiene anyway. Reading on the bog is just bad.

When's a guy to read? :( (I read on the bus and during breaks which works for me.)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I do most of my reading on my lunch breaks. It's the best stress relief ever, and it's something I always look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Philthy posted:

I do most of my reading on my lunch breaks. It's the best stress relief ever, and it's something I always look forward to.

Badly handled updates and migrations that take hours on end are the best thing at work because I just sit there reading and sipping free coffee and if someone asks me to do something I'm just "yeah nah sorry computy no worky come back tomorrow" while getting paid.

This was how I finished Waltari's "The Adventurer" in less than a week last week.