Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

upon further reflection, cats made up for les miserables, tom hooper redeemed himself

Bogus Adventure posted:

I really liked Cats 2019's take on it, and it's also what gave us this wonderful gif

Friends Are Evil posted:

I will never change my av from this

it's a total 2020 mood

HopperUK posted:

The whole song seems to be about one family, the one that owns them. In the 1998 film they have strong lower-class London accents to contrast with the swanky neighbourhood they live in.

It’s that orrible cat

they had no regular occupation, we know how that goes 🙀

Man Musk fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Should have had the Mr Mistoffelees and Rum Tum Tugger romance thought, instead of making him horny for Victoria.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Did that Colin Hanks looking cat ever get namechecked in the movie?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1214711536914059264

:same:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Lumbermouth posted:

Did that Colin Hanks looking cat ever get namechecked in the movie?

Do you mean the main cat who didn't get a song of his own? That's Munkustrap.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

goodog posted:

Has there been any concept art or storyboards of what the cats were supposed to look like? All I can find is the art from the cancelled Spielberg animated adaptation. While that would have lost all the performances that actually make it engaging, at least they knew how to design characters.

Unless they just decided to wing it, which is why they drove the VFX artists to insanity by constantly changing their minds.

I've been thinking too long and too hard about Cats as an animated film, and I think it would work if it was rotoscoped. You'd still get the performances, but you could stylize how the different cats look. It''d give you the chance to avoid dealing with the uncanny valley. At least, that is the kind of animated Cats movie I would want to see. I'm very pleased with the cgi nightmare that we have, though. In fact, I loving love it.

lol

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bogus Adventure posted:

I've been thinking too long and too hard about Cats as an animated film, and I think it would work if it was rotoscoped. You'd still get the performances, but you could stylize how the different cats look. It''d give you the chance to avoid dealing with the uncanny valley. At least, that is the kind of animated Cats movie I would want to see. I'm very pleased with the cgi nightmare that we have, though. In fact, I loving love it.

I feel like doing the movie animated non anthropomorphic cats would have been fun. Like a "this is what you REALLY were seeing every time you saw the play"

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

This movie, but done with Salem the cat puppets from Sabrina the Teenaged Witch.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like doing the movie animated non anthropomorphic cats would have been fun. Like a "this is what you REALLY were seeing every time you saw the play"

That's true. I was just trying to think of a happy medium that captures the choreography without being a visual nightmare.

The Little Death posted:

This movie, but done with Salem the cat puppets from Sabrina the Teenaged Witch.

100% would watch.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/Snailmailband/status/1214754725289168898?s=20

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Ccs posted:

Some of the fans are very mad that that "Conjuring turn" doesn't appear in the movie (though they do still mention it in the song). It's like 21 consecutive turns or something.

This is an amazing look into a bizarre and niche fandom.

Where's the drat conjuring turn? I DEMAND IT

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ThePopeOfFun posted:

It's not *THAT* silly, that musical number is the one specifically for having the most complex/impressive single dance, so it ends up funny that the movie's attempt to tackle it is basically have him never dance at all and barely move.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ThePopeOfFun posted:

The show is all about a bunch of people who are really great at dancing and the movie has a lot of great dancers in addition to getting as many takes as you want to get in crazy moves, why not include it?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Daily koan: how many edits would it take tom hooper to show someone spinning 21 times

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Looking it up, is yet another example of how creatively bankrupt the movie is. Have him do a single turn and nothing happens. He does three turns nothing happens. Goes all out and does 24 turns and tada! The magic works!

Instead he just kind of waves his wand around

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Having a CGI character perform a feat of endurance seems a little silly.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Sold out ::(

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

josh04 posted:

Having a CGI character perform a feat of endurance seems a little silly.

Making a film out of Cats in the first place seems a bit silly, but here we are. And it's not like the movie backed away from dance anywhere else, so leaving out one of the signature moments seems like an odd choice.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
How were Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer?

Asking for a friend.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also the song basically opens with 'here's a magician and his amazing spins' and then the magician doesn't do any spins.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
my suggestion for the conjuring turn is an uncomfortable close-up on the character's face while the background spins around

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

YggiDee posted:

Also the song basically opens with 'here's a magician and his amazing spins' and then the magician doesn't do any spins.

And Macavity's song starts saying he's a Ginger cat. I don't think they actually read the lyrics.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

YggiDee posted:

tbf a turn is an old English dude term for a bit or a routine.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

just another posted:

Asking for a friend.

Plausible fellows! Orrible cats.

Eh, it was an engaging enough sequence despite the scale being all fucky but not a patch on the 1998 film.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It uses the melody from the original London production instead of the Broadway version, I don't know if that's a pro or a con? I didn't know there were different melodies until about two minutes ago.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the fact that sequence doesn't end with a monstrous beast dog with a human face is still a travesty

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I involuntarily imagined the unseen dog as Snoop Dogg, stuck at about halfway through morphing from a doberman in the video "Who Am I (What's My Name)".

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The wretched cockroach scene is on youtube now

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Uei5Qk9RM

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

HopperUK posted:

Plausible fellows! Orrible cats.

Eh, it was an engaging enough sequence despite the scale being all fucky but not a patch on the 1998 film.

It was one of the best parts of the '98 recording so I'm not surprised.

My little podunk town will never get Cats in its cinema here so I have to wait til Netflix or whatever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Wemus posted:

The wretched cockroach scene is on youtube now

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Uei5Qk9RM

I had full body chills watching this blown up to like IMAX size.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

There were IMAX showings of Cats?!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I must needs see this poo poo in IMAX

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Mm yes. Nude Idris Elba cat in imax

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TremorX posted:

And Macavity's song starts saying he's a Ginger cat. I don't think they actually read the lyrics.

Skimbleshanks is supposed to have a brown tail (and ostensibly coat) as well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Every detail about how little sense this movie makes just makes me love it more.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The movie might be a disaster but it got me interested in the stage production, so for me at least it's a net gain.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

YggiDee posted:

The movie might be a disaster but it got me interested in the stage production, so for me at least it's a net gain.

My wife and I did not expect to LOVE the 1998 stage musical.

Especially after obsessing over this thread. Over how bad the movie must be.

I think the deal is, you have to go into the stage musical totally prepared. This thread is enough preparation. Any less will mean you're too busy wondering why the gently caress the play exists to pay attention, and that will cause it to make infuriatingly little sense to you. You have to know about the poems and the rough progression of what happens. You must know about all the weird stuff. That there's a cat orgy scene. Once your expectations are lowered in all the ways they should be, you will love it.

I was amazed that the ENTIRE musical made perfect sense to me. I could appreciate what each and every moment of it was trying to communicate me. The execution was impressive in every way. The choreography brought the poems to life just right while adding a whole dimension.

It is also crucial that you MUST have text captions turned on -- you can get them if you watch the 1998 play online. This play is a book of poems; poetry is about how well the words work together. Normally when you're hearing music, struggling to catch only every other word to get the gist of the story or whatever, but not a poem where the entire point *is* the words and the story is minimal to serve that.

It also really helps if you are a cat owner and know exactly all the ways that a cat annoys its owner. The ending really DID speak to me because I know how easy it is to hurt a cat's ego.

The only things I don't like about CATS are the face makeup (because no one likes clowns) and some pacing issues (some slower numbers to pad time between songs with verrrry slow-spoken dialogue, often mumbled inaudibly even though it's important).

Finally:

CATS is just a bunch of songs about a bunch of poems about a bunch of cats with jobs that they love. Jobs to do normal things cats do to annoy their owners.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 9, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I have a fever and am lying in sweat coated streets with

SKIM
BEL
SHANKS
THE
RAIL
WAY
CAT

on an endless loop in my brain. Kill me.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

just another posted:

Asking for a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMwFWDIFVCU