Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's weird watching people still wager like wimps. It was dumb before James came along but it's SUPER dumb after his run. Or am I dumb and the current folks wouldn't have seen it before they got on?

No, everyone on the show now should have known about James for a while. I could be wrong but I think episodes are taped 4-6 weeks before they air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
To play like James you have to be really confident in yourself, and have the knowledge to back it up. It doesn't surprise me at all that most people do not play like James.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don’t hate James but I didn’t watch his original run. I just saw him in a tournament. Looking at his records, I really appreciate his style of excellence. Almost as much money as Ken in half as many games.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
James's big advantage was he was a machine at hitting the buzzer running up against rookies. Ken and Brad are not rookies, but I think James still has an advantage due to it being a more recent experience for him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PT6A posted:

To play like James you have to be really confident in yourself, and have the knowledge to back it up. It doesn't surprise me at all that most people do not play like James.

You're there to win. It was silly not to go big on Doubles even before he came on the show. The Christmas Eve ep bugged the poo poo out of me because the contestant bet tiny, got gimmes, and still got em wrong. But she shoulda had it wrapped up halfway through Double Jeopardy. Generally the questions on the show are easy for trivia fiends and you gotta think you made it that far you gotta shoot your shot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's weird watching people still wager like wimps. It was dumb before James came along but it's SUPER dumb after his run. Or am I dumb and the current folks wouldn't have seen it before they got on?

James' run aired from April - June last year. The episodes that are airing now would have been taped in late November or early December. Every contestant would know who James is.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

So uhhhh my local NBC station is just airing a regular episode of Jeopardy? wtf

Edit: lol ok what the hell, Jeopardy is on NBC here but the special is airing on ABC

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sirotan posted:

So uhhhh my local NBC station is just airing a regular episode of Jeopardy? wtf

Edit: lol ok what the hell, Jeopardy is on NBC here but the special is airing on ABC

I'm sure with the Iran retaliation, Trump is going to have a national rally instead now

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Very exited for the Jeopardy GOAT, I'm going Brad in Three, because i haven't seen him lose a tournament.

But, considering the mainstream attention for this game, I'm very excited and impressed.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I loving suck at these Shakespeare categories.

Also Alex said "bitchin"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Jesus gently caress I think I’ve known about 6 answers, they seem to have ratcheted up the difficulty.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My roommate just said this is like a horse race, and I have to agree

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

I want this to go to game 7 and have it end in a tie so they have to start it over again.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Well that was an impressive first round.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Brad just hosed up the true daily double.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Brad just hosed up the true daily double.

Shocking, actually.

Edit: and my boy Ken doubles up!

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Ken with balls of steel

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
GET IT TOGETHER BRAD

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/status/1214718690127560705

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I had a steak of about 3 in a row plus the Marie Curie question.

I'm sucking otherwise though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Go Ken!

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah I'm usually around 50%+ for an average syndicated show, I'm maybe at 10% here. Good stuff.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Oh no... this Final music is wrong.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

THIS IS AMAZING AND THIS NEEDS TO BE ANNUAL

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Nothing but respect for MY president.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Dipshit isn't going to pre empt the end of this, is he?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Seriously cancel the Kids tournament and do this with three of the top ~10 living players every year.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I love the fact it's a tournament game played back to back, not since only connect have I felt stupid watching a game show, but I really hope the idiot game show host interferes with the smart game show event.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The set looks amazing! This is so much fun!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
At least I got the Doc McStuffins one.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

iamsosmrt posted:

Yeah I'm usually around 50%+ for an average syndicated show, I'm maybe at 10% here. Good stuff.

I think I’m at 25%? Under 50%, definitely. I missed most of the first round because of troubles with my TV.

Ken killing it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
lol James talking trash

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The second game's first round was a good bit easier I thought

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

GhostStalker posted:

I think I’m at 25%? Under 50%, definitely. I missed most of the first round because of troubles with my TV.

Ken killing it.

To be fair I decided to do an edible in preparation for the occasion. Turns out it hasn't helped my ability to think quickly.

That before and after category destroyed me.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

so james didn't land on a daily double tonight

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

iamsosmrt posted:

To be fair I decided to do an edible in preparation for the occasion. Turns out it hasn't helped my ability to think quickly.

That before and after category destroyed me.

I can do before and after, usually. It was before, during, and after that killed me. Also the triple rhyme.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I can do before and after, usually. It was before, during, and after that killed me. Also the triple rhyme.

Yes. Those were brutal.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I got all of the triple rhymes but the BDA I didn't get a single one.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Ken by a nose!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
$200!