Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

Snowmankilla posted:

Thanks for this. Any other kind of deep journalism podcasts that do not involve murder specifically? I like Gangster Capitalism, The Dream, Last Days of August, Against the Rules, etc.

I adore The Dream; you might try Escaping NXIVM if you liked that one. I haven’t tried it yet, but hearing great buzz about The Missing Cryptoqueen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

credburn posted:

Retronauts seems to be doing this now.

They should have added a Patreon tier to get rid of Benj Edwards forever and bring back Chris Antista instead. I unsubscribed like a month before they announced Patreon exclusive episodes, that show is a sinking ship and it's telling that all the original talent has either jumped ship or is focusing more on their side projects

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

DogoDogo posted:

I adore The Dream; you might try Escaping NXIVM if you liked that one. I haven’t tried it yet, but hearing great buzz about The Missing Cryptoqueen.

Really looking forward to the second season of The Dream, hopefully the next episode next week?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Sleeveless posted:

They should have added a Patreon tier to get rid of Benj Edwards forever and bring back Chris Antista instead. I unsubscribed like a month before they announced Patreon exclusive episodes, that show is a sinking ship and it's telling that all the original talent has either jumped ship or is focusing more on their side projects

It's hit a bump, I think. I hate to talk poorly of someone who is uncharismatic in podcasts, since I do one and I shudder whenever I hear myself. I think Benj is valuable in a very specific topic, but most of the time I think the show would benefit by him being benched until they can really take advantage of what he has to offer. I don't think Antista is going to make it while the rift or whatever happened.

Regarding the paywall stuff, I guess I feel annoyed because I'm being like, misled? They never say there is now a paywall for some episodes because we are not forecasting a very good net gain by the end of the year. Instead they position it like a privilege the Patreon patrons have. Both are true, but I would much rather support someone I like than pay a cover charge.

Anyway, I wanted to share this because it makes the work I do more impressive than it is. It's like a drag-and-drop DIY podcast.

https://imgur.com/GF6YIkh

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Are there any general tech news podcasts anyone can recommend? Something like the old CNET 404 one. A lot of the ones I'm finding are heavy on video games, or way too specific on just PC stuff.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Snowmankilla posted:

Thanks for this. Any other kind of deep journalism podcasts that do not involve murder specifically? I like Gangster Capitalism, The Dream, Last Days of August, Against the Rules, etc.

The Dropout was pretty good if you don't have Theranos fatigue. It's not substantially different from Bad Blood if you've already read the book but it's a pretty decent podcast. (They also did a 60 minute TV documentary for one of the networks that was basically the podcast cut down for time.)

e: Believed was also really good if you can stomach Larry Nasser. It's a rough listen at times but very well-done. Embedded from NPR is pretty good as well. I liked Reveal a few years ago but it's fallen off my radar. Ronan Farrow is putting out a podcast companion to his book about reporting on Weinstein, Catch and Kill, that I haven't listened to yet. Gladiator is also really good (Aaron Hernandez ends up dead but 90% of the podcast is about his life). The Impact from Vox was (is?) pretty good. I just finished Gravy Train, which is a really good podcast about Rob Ford, the crack-smoking mayor of Toronto (it mercifully doesn't lean too hard into the HEY HE'S JUST LIKE TRUMP trope). Land of the Giants had a good season about Amazon, but a couple episodes are definitely better than others. Same for What Really Happened, which at its best does some good research into its topics and at its worst is the host just reading off Wikipedia (pick the episodes with topics you're interested in and skip the rest).

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 6, 2020

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
The Gateway is a good look at Teal Swan if you're into culty stuff.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Those are awesome recommendations! Downloading all the new ones! Thanks!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

terrorist ambulance posted:

Cross posting from another thread -
Jamie Loftus did a 4 piece podcast on Mensa that's a lot of fun and interesting. She was also a really good guest on blocked party.

This was great and reminded me of the ongoing fyad drama

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I am personally bummed about Reveal falling from grace, because I was a big fan of it a few years ago. But they kept replaying old stories without any kind of update, just to have something to put out on a weekly basis. I get that journalism takes time to be done right, but in that case, do something else. Interview reporters for their life stories, tell interesting things that happened or that you found while researching a bigger story, or just don’t be tied to it being weekly. Reply All isn’t weekly and is much stronger for it, though I loving hate one of the hosts on it and wish that he would gently caress off forever.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

rotinaj posted:

I am personally bummed about Reveal falling from grace, because I was a big fan of it a few years ago. But they kept replaying old stories without any kind of update, just to have something to put out on a weekly basis. I get that journalism takes time to be done right, but in that case, do something else. Interview reporters for their life stories, tell interesting things that happened or that you found while researching a bigger story, or just don’t be tied to it being weekly. Reply All isn’t weekly and is much stronger for it, though I loving hate one of the hosts on it and wish that he would gently caress off forever.

I feel you on Reveal. I was into it for a while but then got sick of the repeats. Also didn’t help that they didn’t label the repeats as that.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

rotinaj posted:

Reply All isn’t weekly and is much stronger for it, though I loving hate one of the hosts on it and wish that he would gently caress off forever.

Is it the smug dick with the awful laugh?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowy posted:

Is it the smug dick with the awful laugh?

Yes. There’s one host who does all the reporting and interesting work, and one who is a smug rear end in a top hat who has to antagonize said host.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Red_Fred posted:

I feel you on Reveal. I was into it for a while but then got sick of the repeats. Also didn’t help that they didn’t label the repeats as that.

Beyond the repeats thing, I vaguely remember that Reveal was just too soft on the Nazis and trying to paint them as deserving of understanding instead of abject violence. I think even Richard Spencer was interviewed and given a platform to speak about his views, instead of getting repeatedly punched in the face. It was the sort of uncritical position that undermined the rest of the stories, and I don't think it ever recovered from that with me.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

PJ Vogt I think is the one you're thinking of.I love their tech stuff though.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Beyond the repeats thing, I vaguely remember that Reveal was just too soft on the Nazis and trying to paint them as deserving of understanding instead of abject violence. I think even Richard Spencer was interviewed and given a platform to speak about his views, instead of getting repeatedly punched in the face. It was the sort of uncritical position that undermined the rest of the stories, and I don't think it ever recovered from that with me.

Really? I remember Jim Briggs interviewing one of the haircut Nazis and just tearing him to pieces.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

TV Zombie posted:

PJ Vogt I think is the one you're thinking of.I love their tech stuff though.

It’s a good show but that guy consistently gets on my nerves

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowy posted:

It’s a good show but that guy consistently gets on my nerves

I am totally unsure what he adds in a positive manner. He's not funny, he doesn't add any insight, he never does any reporting or research... Unless he's editing the episodes or something, I feel like he is an active detriment to Reply All.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm not sure if it's the same episode but they had an interview with (I think) Roger Stone where they were simultaneously really contentious while also letting him slip in some blatantly untrue statements without challenging him on them. It was a really frustrating experience (the host was clearly frustrated in the interview as well) that added absolutely nothing to the episode.

I think that was the last episode I listened to and I don't think I even bothered to finish it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Given the people's annoyance at one of the hosts of Reply All, how do you feel about Heavyweight's host? I like the stories fine but the intros and the points in the story when he interjects himself into the narrative bothers me a bit.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

TV Zombie posted:

Given the people's annoyance at one of the hosts of Reply All, how do you feel about Heavyweight's host? I like the stories fine but the intros and the points in the story when he interjects himself into the narrative bothers me a bit.

I literally was thinking this in my head and about to post this then I saw your post lmao

At first I actually thought heavyweight was a parody podcast, but I will say this, I listened through the whole podcast and it is fairly endearing and Jonathan really grew on me. There were some good episodes this season that stuck out to me, the recovering addict who got his father’s gun back from a literal nazi off the top of my head

Also he’s very Canadian and as a Canadian I get the weird sarcastic dead pan humour

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

rotinaj posted:

Reply All does actually re-play old episodes though, and also they tend to put out episodes that are really just other podcasts that they're on the same network with.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The worst thing about the hosts of Reply All is that as ostensibly left-wing as the show and its content is (the one about TurboTax actively hiding their free option and misleading people into using the paid one dovetailing into an entire takedown of how privatizing government functions creates infinitely more abuse, waste, and corruption that just letting the government do it itself is especially good) they actively refused to participate in or signal boost their employees at Gimlet trying to unionize. Same with then using a revolving door of interns on their show instead of just hiring an actual full-time employee.

Also if you like ReplyAll they had a previous show called TL;DR that covered similar material on smaller scale that was pretty good. They left it eventually and turned it over to a new female host and the show was shut down just a few episodes later because she did an episode a man harassing women online and he called her bosses to complain, which pretty much just confirmed everything about his behavior and attitude towards women in the process.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
That's all very disappointing to hear, I really like(d) that show.

Also I'm the same on Reveal, I just took it off my feed because of the repeats. Al Letson protected a nazi from getting beat down for being a nazi, and is kind of both-sidesey about it.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Do it ironically posted:

There were some good episodes this season that stuck out to me, the recovering addict who got his father’s gun back from a literal nazi off the top of my head

I don’t actually like the Heavyweight and this episode is so loving good. Was in tears at the end.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

terrorist ambulance posted:

Cross posting from another thread -
Jamie Loftus did a 4 piece podcast on Mensa that's a lot of fun and interesting. She was also a really good guest on blocked party.

I finished this and it was a good listen as a capstone to the past year+ of articles she's written about it but she is way, way more reconciliatory towards the Mensans than I was expecting and frankly more than they deserve. I get that she explicitly didn't want to just do a thing making fun of them but I wouldn't be nearly as willing to give the benefit of the doubt to a club built around discarded eugenics effluent full of right-wingers sending death threats to me and confronting me in public.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

rotinaj posted:

Reveal is a weekly broadcast radio show on public radio stations in the US, same as shows like This American Life and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. They have to put out an hour-long product every week to all the stations that pay for it. I get what you're saying though. I remember when Radiolab was an "every once in a while" show and I felt like the quality of each episode went down a lot when they switched to a weekly format.

The Reveal organization does do other stuff besides the show/podcast. They have tons of investigative stories on their website.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/Psychic_Driving/status/1215350173649555464

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Snowmankilla posted:

I don’t actually like the Heavyweight and this episode is so loving good. Was in tears at the end.

what is the episode title?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

TV Zombie posted:

what is the episode title?

#27 Scott

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

TV Zombie posted:

I like Heavyweight, it’s like pretty good Mystery Show but with a more sustainable concept. Episode #16 Rob is a delight, and #22 about Russian Ark is fun too.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Are there literary podcasts where a bunch of people talk about current bestsellers, but more in a lighthearted/banter way? Like "I don't even own a a television", for example. Spectology fits the bill, but is for scifi only.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey, gang. My partner and I do a podcast and want to start a Patreon, but I want all the money donated to it to go toward supporting a local homeless shelter. Should I just make a Patreon, or is there a Patreon-like service designed to do this that would be better? I know I could just put up a notice that says something like, "If you want to show your appreciation for this podcast, please consider donating..." but I feel like messages like that never really gets anyone to contribute and also it seems to circumvent the personal connection a potential supporter has with the podcast.... I hope that makes sense?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Get the staff at the shelter involved and have them set up a GoFundMe or whatever platform they prefer then plug that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Athanatos posted:

Are there any general tech news podcasts anyone can recommend? Something like the old CNET 404 one. A lot of the ones I'm finding are heavy on video games, or way too specific on just PC stuff.

I'd like to hear some recs as well.

Well, I wish I could still recommend Tested because it's a good tech podcast but unfortunately it's also a bad pop culture podcast and these days that's generally the focus of the show.

Brad & Will Made a Tech Pod actually doesn't get into games too often considering the hosts (Will Smith and Bradshoemaker) but they only focus on one topic a week and it's rarely about new stuff. I like it because I'm old but it doesn't really touch on cutting edge stuff often.

I like Shades of Brown a lot but yeah it does end up rather computer or video games focused at time.

HolocaustDenialman
Jan 3, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey i dont know of anyone has posted this before, but therightstuff.biz has a lot of funny podcasts. Anyone ever listened to any of them?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

isn't "the right stuff" a nazi site

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Take a second look at the username

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I was curious if there are any military podcasts out there, and found one other people on this forum might be interested in. Eyes Left Podcast https://anchor.fm/eyesleft is a podcast by two ex-servicemen and anti-war advocates, left leaning and with an interest in history and political philosophy. If you want takes on current wars intermixed with Gramsci quotes and interviews with active or retired soldiers, check it out. Really good stuff, gives me insight into a culture I know very little about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I don't know if this is the proper place to ask, but I figure one of you ought to know.

I'm trying to find a method to add a podcast hosted on archive.org to my podcast client (Overcast). It's an older show and doesn't appear to be listed on any of the modern platforms, so I need to add it manually via RSS. I think I can get the RSS needed via archive.org's advanced search function but haven't been able to do so thus far. Has anyone more familiar with the platform than myself done something like this before?