Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Unrelated:

My vampire game is really starting to pick up.

I'm a Lygos in the Ordo Dracul and it has been implied that my sire is a founding member of sorts.

I'm using Wraith's Presence at all opportunities and it's so much goddamn fun.
Pop invisibility, use WP to make my victim look like they are walking away and go ham on them with my sword cane.

We have a player that is brand new to the system but she's played DnD before. She is interested in the combat-light structure but doesn't really know what to do with herself. If we guide her, she's right there with enthusiasm. I'm excited where she's going to go with her character.

Right now we are:
Abe, a Lygos in OD. A "gross little pillbug of a man". Both nurturer and rebel with unbreakable optimism and a penchant for stealing discarded clothes. High skills in crafts and medicine with a large aspiration to use his new power to help cure his physically broken father.

Kat a "chosen" Gangrel (Homebrew pseudo bloodline. We don't know what it means yet). A tiny trustfund anime freak who is highly romantic but terrified of actually doing something about it.
Currently being monitored by the local PD because (we think) she is being hunted by Fae.

Bradley Anderson (the full name is important), a Daeva/Ventrue (I forget the bloodline name) whose sire is the Princess enforcer and lover. Bradley Anderson is the barker for a circus that usually travels the country but for some reason has stayed in Portland much longer than normal. His decent from being a smooth operator into impatiently exerting Dominate has been fun to watch.

This game took a while to build momentum but I'm super excited about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Badactura posted:

Thanks! The Orpheus rules are a little different, so the PCs don't have Anchors (I think? Still reading the core book), and some of them are actually mortals who astrally project themselves as ghosts. I do like the concept of having each PC have some unfinished business or personal agendas at play, it's always fun in spy movies when stuff 'gets personal.'

I will read about the Giovanni and Banes, I was thinking of using Pentex as a rival/villainous organization to the Orpheus Group.

I also like the reincarnation idea, although I don't know if the game will switch to a different supernatural type or anything. I really really like the concept of supernatural espionage ever since I read those terrible Necroscope books.

It might do you to take a look at the Wraith 20th Anniversary Edition. Not only is it super solid it's got a lot of stuff on Specters, the Orphic Circle, and a bunch of other things that at the very least you could freely sprinkle about your chronicle to liven things up.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Dawgstar posted:

It might do you to take a look at the Wraith 20th Anniversary Edition. Not only is it super solid it's got a lot of stuff on Specters, the Orphic Circle, and a bunch of other things that at the very least you could freely sprinkle about your chronicle to liven things up.

Note that W20 includes an appendix with alternate Wraith-based rules for playing Orpheus projectors, and a setting overview that assumes the Orpheus Group has gotten up and running while all the preexisting Wraith-based ghosts are still around.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Dawgstar posted:

Thanks for the tip! One thing I noticed is that they mentioned Spectres but I didn't see any rules for them yet, so that and stuff for like, necromancers and such sounds great.

I Am Just a Box posted:

Note that W20 includes an appendix with alternate Wraith-based rules for playing Orpheus projectors, and a setting overview that assumes the Orpheus Group has gotten up and running while all the preexisting Wraith-based ghosts are still around.

And this sounds like icing on the cake! I'm interested in comparing rule sets now.

I think I'm going to use Pentex as an antagonist too, although from what I hear I'll probably have to tone them down a bit.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Mageposting: Columbo is an Acanthus.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
And Yennefer is an even more obvious Mastigos than goddamn Dr. Strange.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

And Yennefer is an even more obvious Mastigos than goddamn Dr. Strange.

That's because old-school Dr. Strange is either Obrimos or Moros. I'm inclined to 'Moros, and the Sorcerer Supreme legacy gives Forces as a Major Arcanum.'

More recent Strange comics are Mastigos but not for Space - for Mind.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Badactura posted:

I just got a copy of Orpheus, because it has been the most interesting WoD game I never played before, and I am excited to run a campaign soon! But I have some questions for people who might have played or ran it before:

I am planning on running without the metaplot stuff from later books because I don't really like it. Is that reasonable or do you think players would get bored of too much 'GHOST SPIES' without anything else after a while?

As an addition to that, any ideas for what is going on with ghosts behind the scenes? I want to keep the whole 'ghosts don't seem to exist past X years ago' premise but without the 'its because all the ghosts for real died right before then' reveal.

Finally, are there any other lower powered supernaturals that might be good antagonists for the aforementioned ghost spies?

So, a couple years back I was actually in a full on, run through campaign of Orpheus. I will say that the plot as the books tell it is actually pretty alright until book 6 at which point it immediately shits the bed

Never finish a big, delicate politics and spy plot with a dungeon crawl where most people can't use their toys

As such, I'd say that if you need a break from ghost spies, the book two change up isn't entirely a bad one.

As for why ghosts are now around but weren't before? Something hosed up the spirit world and now everyone's stuck here. Oh there are ghosts on the other side just doing their thing, but now something hosed it all up.

Also, in a previous thread there was actually a good discussion on how vampires make for a good villain for an orpheus mystery. They tend to leave a lot of angry spirits around and would make a good twist if you leave it a while to introduce other supernatural types.

Also don't use Pentex as a villain, their offices are on the same industrial park as Orpheus

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You could probably really mindfuck old grognards if you inverted Pentex and have it be an unusually rambunctious Technocracy front and recast everybody as non-wyrm-soaked supernaturals. Then you reveal, "Oh, all that poo poo's still true... it's just Koch Industries."

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!

Nessus posted:

You could probably really mindfuck old grognards if you inverted Pentex and have it be an unusually rambunctious Technocracy front and recast everybody as non-wyrm-soaked supernaturals. Then you reveal, "Oh, all that poo poo's still true... it's just Koch Industries."

I love this idea, I like you for having it, and I'm going to use it in a future campaign.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Could have Pentex on the ropes financially because mortals stole all their ideas and just did the loving over of humanity without the in-company murder and cannibalism. 'Look, I don't know who this Wyrm guy you're talking about is, but we're trying to run a business here. And succeeding. So if you're going to do this stuff, just talk with Jim and he'll tell you the vacation spots where you can go and do it on your own time.'

Also thank you SomethingAwful for changing the avatar.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Axqu posted:

I love this idea, I like you for having it, and I'm going to use it in a future campaign.
That seemed to be what they were going for, but for obvious reasons they altered all the details and put all the other stuff in one holding account. Personally I don't like the idea of "humanity is revealed to be the real monster" in the context of W:TA -- it feels trite and cliche and I think W:TA is better if you just go for it in earnest.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
It's good because it makes you think about humanity today

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Is there a NWoD/ChronD book that deals with Catiff and other clanless vampires? I want to run a game for a podcast which is basically "Undead Trailer Park Boys" and I want to keep it explicitly low power, with the focus on Wild Antics, Hare Brained Schemes, and Scrappy Survivalism. Decent chance the first game is going to be them hijacking a local blood drive bus and getting chased down by a corrupt sherrif. I don't know a lot about Requiem, so I'm curious how thin-blooded and clanless vampires work here.
Like, how long does a neonate need to be tutored in in-clan disciplines before clan status is set? I want to do a reveal where one of them discovers they're the dishonored childe of a high-status ventrue in a different city, Are the ventrue by default if blood potency is high enough? I never really understood how this worked in OwO either, to be honest.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Clanless vampires are revenants. They're drastically less powerful than clanned vampires, their most crippling weakness being they sweat out all the vitae they gain during their daysleep. They usually occur because a recent feeding subject/victim is killed or when a ghoul dies. Revs are talked about in more detail on Page 94 of the VtR2e sourcebook.

If you want something more detailed there's the sourcebook Half-Damned.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 9, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Yowza! Sounds exactly like what I was looking for. I think I'm going to just keep their clan identities a secret to be revealed later, but it'll be good to get an idea how to run a game at that level.

Thanks, UA!

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
np, I like vampires because they're kinda the awkward kids of the CofD family. Most of what they do thematically is done better by other splats, except be vampires. Though the extremely tepid take of vampires as economic inequality does take away from it a bit.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Yeah, it's definitely not lived up to the others in the line, despite Vampire still being the best overall known "brand" of Not D&D Tabletop Game. I chose this one for the podcast/game idea exactly for the economic inequality issues you mentioned, i want to tell a story about desperate people driven to extremes by their marginal status and Vampire feels like the best setting for that.
Plus, it's an easy idea to sell. "Trailer Park Boys but Twilight." Who wouldn't want to listen to that?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Rural Canadian vampires trading stolen shopping carts for blood while they try to steer clear of samsquanches and the trailer park supervisor could very well be the apex of the World of Darkness.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Yeah, it's definitely not lived up to the others in the line, despite Vampire still being the best overall known "brand" of Not D&D Tabletop Game. I chose this one for the podcast/game idea exactly for the economic inequality issues you mentioned, i want to tell a story about desperate people driven to extremes by their marginal status and Vampire feels like the best setting for that.
Plus, it's an easy idea to sell. "Trailer Park Boys but Twilight." Who wouldn't want to listen to that?

First off, I love this and would deffo listen to it.

You could always make them clanned but not tell them. Just have disciplines come out when it's contextually appropriate. Hell, if they are the only vamps around, they wouldn't know the clan names anyway.

I forget if it is this way in 2E but when a neonate is embraced, they "know" what their clan disciplines are even if they are untrained. You can just ignore that portion and have it be a blanks slate.

Hell, you could even Homebrew some stuff to make them truly clanless and have their disciplines evolve based on their actions.
Maybe a character shows that they love being strong, studious and highly adaptable. Their powers become Vigor, Auspex and Protean.

It's me, the guy who doesn't give a single poo poo about the official lore and just wants to make fun stuff happen.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Yowza! Sounds exactly like what I was looking for. I think I'm going to just keep their clan identities a secret to be revealed later, but it'll be good to get an idea how to run a game at that level.

Thanks, UA!

So my own Requiem character isn't a revenant any more (he got second-embraced by a Gangrel) but he's still got the social stigma of being some rear end in a top hat's ghoul who survived exsanguination, and the messy, gory feeding habits of someone who's spent years waking up feral and starving every night, in a pit dug beneath the foundations of his former home. It's really hosed him up, and given him a redwood-sized chip on his shoulder.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

First off, I love this and would deffo listen to it.

You could always make them clanned but not tell them. Just have disciplines come out when it's contextually appropriate. Hell, if they are the only vamps around, they wouldn't know the clan names anyway.

I forget if it is this way in 2E but when a neonate is embraced, they "know" what their clan disciplines are even if they are untrained. You can just ignore that portion and have it be a blanks slate.

Hell, you could even Homebrew some stuff to make them truly clanless and have their disciplines evolve based on their actions.
Maybe a character shows that they love being strong, studious and highly adaptable. Their powers become Vigor, Auspex and Protean.

It's me, the guy who doesn't give a single poo poo about the official lore and just wants to make fun stuff happen.

I did a version of this for a revenant-focused game in '18. Though I limited the 'manifestations' available to the common 5 (Animalism, Celerity, Obfuscate, Resilience, Vigor). Rather than picking three dots at gen, during any scene, you could manifest a dot immediately. Got some fun combos. Revenants who were uplifted into a proper Clan could trade these manifested dots for In-Clans as the 2nd Embrace took hold if they wanted to ditch them later.

For choosing original sires, I printed out a list of locations/hunting grounds and attached a theme to each one which linked to specific (hidden) NPCs. So the Fairmount Park Sakura Garden with the theme of Beauty was linked to the Sotoha Knight, while the counseling group with an addiction theme was linked to a Mekhet Social-Engineer/Psychologist. It gave them some real choice in direction without giving away all the details that tend to be obscured by the kiss or various masquerade methods for the feeding which resulted in their deaths. And each one was a place to kick off looking for wayward sires.

The daily blood loss is brutal, in addition to just the vitae loss, it means the first feeding of most nights was taken while starving, which is something like a (-4) frenzy check right off the bat. This translated into the cacophony that revenants tended to lose control while hunting more often than 'true' vampires, and meant they had to go above and beyond to establish a reputation of control before being granted easy access to the Racks. However, the Ordo valued them as potential test subjects, while BP6+ Kindred might value them directly for their vitae (revenant blood cannot form blood bonds).

Another odd rule: revenants get a (+5) sympathy bonus toward their unknown Sires, while the Sires get no sympathetic link to their accidental childer. So revenants are very good about sniffing out when the Sire is going through intense emotion/conflict. When I couldn't think of an immediately relevant dramatic failure for an ongoing action, dropping in a condition and vision of something intense happening to their sire was an easy alternate. The text is unclear what happens to this (+5) rating when someone is uplifted (easy option is to say it is replaced by new sympathies with the new sire), but we decided to keep it even if the revenant went into a completely different Clan and gained a bunch of new sympathies. Thought that was more narratively interesting from a conflict perspective, but ymmv.

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 9, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dave Brookshaw posted:

So my own Requiem character isn't a revenant any more (he got second-embraced by a Gangrel) but he's still got the social stigma of being some rear end in a top hat's ghoul who survived exsanguination, and the messy, gory feeding habits of someone who's spent years waking up feral and starving every night, in a pit dug beneath the foundations of his former home. It's really hosed him up, and given him a redwood-sized chip on his shoulder.

I can see why the Gangrel liked him enough to turn him.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Knowing how revenants work in the new game, I think I'm deffo going to give them clans and just make the reveal a major plot point. What I like about this idea is the dudes I'm running with are unfamiliar with the setting, so there's plenty of opportunity to drop clues and hints that the audience will pick up on, which the players won't piece together until much later. That feels appropriate to Vampire, somehow.

I deffo want to have a Native American character with a heavy wolf motif who isn't actually a werewolf, and there's that subtle negotiation where the players try and suss out if he really is a woof without revealing why they'd care.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Knowing how revenants work in the new game, I think I'm deffo going to give them clans and just make the reveal a major plot point. What I like about this idea is the dudes I'm running with are unfamiliar with the setting, so there's plenty of opportunity to drop clues and hints that the audience will pick up on, which the players won't piece together until much later. That feels appropriate to Vampire, somehow.

I deffo want to have a Native American character with a heavy wolf motif who isn't actually a werewolf, and there's that subtle negotiation where the players try and suss out if he really is a woof without revealing why they'd care.

If it were me, I'd lead the audience to make the obvious conclusion that they are Gangrel and pull the rug out by making them Ventrue.

That's mostly me wanting to play a feral Ventrue or stealthy/pacifist Gangrel, though.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Oh one of them is absolutely going to be a Secret Shameful Ventrue. Thinking to even put a twist on it by having a later subplot about are they actually ventrue or a molkovian bloodline deal, once the game starts dealing more with how they don't fit in with the actual undead political ecosystem of the nearby Larger City.

While doing up the NPCs in the neighborhood they're going to be living in, I started watching Trailer Park Boys and realized that I've been assuming RV parks are trailer parks and when everyone else says trailer park they mean "prefabricated housing development" which is where I was going to actually put the game.

Also, I know way too many people like the Trailer Park Boys and this show makes me feel uncomfortable. Also the camera work in season 1 is giving me motion sickness, but maybe I'm just hungover.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

While it's not anything to do with CofD, some folks here might be interested in the teaser for DaveB's work in progress.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 9, 2020

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

(PHIZ) This sounds really cool and I hope you stick with it!

Outsiders unaware of their status is rich for opportunities.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
That reminds me of Hickman's Transhuman comic (different technological 'leap' though).

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
DaveB if you haven't checked out the anime Dennou Coil you should, it's about the impact near-future first-gen immersive VR and the superstitions and hacker culture that emerges as a result. Good luck, it sounds cool as heck.

(Also if you're looking for freelancers. . . )

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Folks who know Chronicles of Darkness, tell me if this is feasible: A cabal of lovely Wizards are preventing beneficial social programs because they're growing powerful off of the shared misery they inflict upon this town. Unbeknownst to them, a nest of Strix are magnifying the spiritual shitstorm they both grow strong off of.

I forget which mage group it is who gets presented with a Symbol of Oppression and goes hog wild for it. But them, them and the strix are going to be Secret Buddies.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Definitely something a group of Seers might do to keep themselves in control and keep the proletariat suffering in their struggle so they hopefully don’t awaken.

They might not be super keen about the Strix either, but what they don’t know...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Always remember that chapter of the Horror Recognition Guide where a bunch of Seers get owned by the Strix.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

MonsieurChoc posted:

Always remember that chapter of the Horror Recognition Guide where a bunch of Seers get owned by the Strix.

Yeah this is just 100% a thing the Seers would do.

Seers love doing awful poo poo that causes horrible monsters to show up and murder them and everyone because that's their flavor of hubris, assuming that everything will come up Evil Sorcerer.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Cool! I just bought the Hunter HRG, is that the same one?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Strix vs Seers: Whoever loses, we win! As long as we aren't within a thousand miles of it happening.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Cool! I just bought the Hunter HRG, is that the same one?

Oh yeah! I already said too much, I'm not telling you which chapter has the Seers poking the Strix.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Just don't gently caress with owls, it seems like good life advice for anyone really.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Folks who know Chronicles of Darkness, tell me if this is feasible: A cabal of lovely Wizards are preventing beneficial social programs because they're growing powerful off of the shared misery they inflict upon this town. Unbeknownst to them, a nest of Strix are magnifying the spiritual shitstorm they both grow strong off of.

If you want two factions for this idea that are both invested in inflicting very similar forms of shared misery on the world and might occasionally cooperate despite not truly being friends or close allies, this is the Seers of the Throne and the angels of the God-Machine.

If you want two factions both loving the city up terribly and exploiting the same kind of misery, but also complicating things for each other because their interests in how to use that misery aren't aligned and they aren't interested in coordination, that's the Seers of the Throne and the Strix.

The strix are going to barge in and raise uncontrollable havoc when the mages just want a nice, neat kyriarchy where systems of oppression keep people weak and powerless to control their own destiny. Short term interests versus long term interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Just don't gently caress with owls, it seems like good life advice for anyone really.

The owls are not what they seem