Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
North Korea didn't drill 10km down into the earth, they dug into a mountain. And if you're testing nukes with a limited stockpile of fissile material, you're doing it on a smaller scale than making 5.0+ earthquakes 6 miles underground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

North Korea didn't drill 10km down into the earth, they dug into a mountain. And if you're testing nukes with a limited stockpile of fissile material, you're doing it on a smaller scale than making 5.0+ earthquakes 6 miles underground.

Unless North Korea gave them a few

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Then they're still investing in digging a deep hole. That's not exactly a cheap endeavor, and we likely would have satellite images of the spoils pile because Trump would be up posting them on twitter right now.

E: looked at usgs. There were two earthquakes at about the same depth (10km), something like 7km apart.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 8, 2020

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Also I'm looking forward to next weeks Chuck Tingle novel: "Pounded in the Butt by my Overzealous Iranian QUD Neighbor"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

OUTBOUND? Jesus Christ, guys.

Edit: USGS can tell the difference between a nuke and an earthquake.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 8, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Unconfirmed but :lol: if they did

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

wait it was OUTBOUND?

oh wow.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Godholio posted:

Edit: USGS can tell the difference between a nuke and an earthquake.

Ayy lmao

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Goddamn those loving idiots Vincennes'd that poo poo, if true.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

For this reason
https://twitter.com/RichardBSpencer/status/1213612411720101888

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Holy poo poo

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

How's the nazi get to look down on you lol that's your base b

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Iranian Cybercommand is frighteningly precise.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m really surprised they were allowing flights at that time.

Since it’s the wildest timeline I’m half expecting something absurd like that valujet flight that went down in flames because they loaded a bunch of oxygen canisters next to the wheel well.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

If true there’s a very dark irony

Iran 1980s: the plane was ascending and flying away from your cruiser, how can you possibly make that mistake!
Iran 2020: oh, like that

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
What the gently caress has just happened.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Ukraine just can't catch a break.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/ukrainian-airliner-crashes-tehran-iranian-media-200108032720868.html posted:

The plane had taken off from Imam Khomeini International Airport when a fire struck one of its engines, said Qassem Biniaz, a spokesman for Iran's Road and Transportation Ministry.
"a missile fired by us struck one of its engines"?

Also:
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1214805489667780608
e: since they'll probably delete this tweet when it turns out to be wrong:

quote:

JUST IN: Engine failure caused crash of Ukrainian airliner in Iran; not caused by terrorism - Ukrainian embassy to Iran

https://twitter.com/MarcheEdge/status/1214807638598471681
:thunk:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Missile-related engine failure

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Shrapnel-rich intake air?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Viva Miriya posted:

How's the nazi get to look down on you lol that's your base b

His cronkite moment

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

The correct term is Missile Aircraft Strike Hazard (MASH).

You know, as in when an airplane flies through an unexpected flock of missiles.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

these loving fucks

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I never figured Hannity would be the one who got me killed, but here we are.

Iran will scud every base in Iraq for real if that poo poo happens, not like the PR strike they did last night.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Thump! posted:

He is a piece of poo poo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

SUPER bold stance to take in here, I know

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Here are alleged photos of the crash site.

It’s bent metal in a smoking field.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

You know, when south park made the Mr Garrison bombs the gently caress out of denmark because Mr Slave said he was a punk bitch joke in the trolling arc I thought they were being a little unfair even to this colossal fuckup. They made that joke like three loving years ago before they said they were done with trump because it wasnt even funny for them anymore. That poo poo wasnt suppossed to come true.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wh... what is this monstrosity?? :stare:

Natural earthquakes have a different seismographic profile than nuke-caused quakes. If USGS says it was a natural earthquake, there's no reason to go all conspiracy theorist and speculate that Iran used the distraction of the missile strikes to secretly test a nuke.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Torrannor posted:

Wh... what is this monstrosity?? :stare:

Natural earthquakes have a different seismographic profile than nuke-caused quakes. If USGS says it was a natural earthquake, there's no reason to go all conspiracy theorist and speculate that Iran used the distraction of the missile strikes to secretly test a nuke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OGvj7GZSIo

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Oh that earthquake in Iran. It's by one of their nuke plants

https://twitter.com/StratSentinel/status/1214755378141024256?s=19

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

US testing their earthquake weapon, this is what Trump meant with attacking cultural sights.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Patrocclesiastes posted:

US testing their earthquake weapon, this is what Trump meant with attacking cultural sights.

I've got friends from high school posting over-exposed photos from the Australian bushfires claiming the lens flare or whatever is actually an orbital direct energy weapon. Same program?

Aluminum vehicles can't melt unless it was a space laser!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Oh boy, orange-faced fuckstick is supposed to address the nation today. Better crush the adderal extra fine for this, the nation needs a rousing, unifying speech about "It's not my fault. Obama! Clinton! Deep state!"

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

egyptian rat race posted:

I've got friends from high school posting over-exposed photos from the Australian bushfires claiming the lens flare or whatever is actually an orbital direct energy weapon. Same program?

Tell them to get telescopes to try to find this weapon on orbit. Bonus points if they get eye damage from the beam when they find it lol

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Frequency_Active_Auroral_Research_Program

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

Hannity said he'd get waterboarded for charity 10 years ago, and still hasn't done it.

Hannity, taze you're balls

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

friends from high school posting

Ah, yes

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Thump! posted:

Iran will scud every base in Iraq for real if that poo poo happens, not like the PR strike they did last night.

Dumb question, what's the Iranian IRBM inventory anyway, is it in the low hundreds, upper hundreds, 1k, 2k, 5k? Basically how fast would they run out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Joanna Piacenza (@jpiacenza) Tweeted:
Respondents were first given a larger, global map.

23% were able to correctly identify Iran. https://t.co/XhP5OU9s2n https://t.co/HVsWpf9ujt https://twitter.com/jpiacenza/status/1214897511414013954?s=20