Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
We win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

As it turns out, we suck at arm wrestling...

quote:

“I win!” Andy shouts, jumping around. “I’m number one! I’m number one!”

“Relax,” you grumble. “You didn’t win the lottery.”

“I always wanted to drive a snowmobile,” Andy admits. “This is my big chance. As soon as I beat the Abominable Snow Woman, I’ll get you out of here.”

He climbs onto the snowmobile and switches on the ignition.

Nothing happens.

“Put your foot on the gas,” you advise.

Andy switches the key again. He steps on the gas.

VROOM! VROOM! VROOM!

But the snowmobile doesn’t move.

“Let me try,” you offer. Pushing him aside, you climb into the seat and rev the engine.

VROOOM! KAPLOOOOOOOOP!

Smoke fills the air.

“Jump!” Andy shouts. “It’s on fire!”

...and also at driving snowmobiles.

quote:

Quickly, you throw yourself off the snowmobile.

KABOOOM! The explosion hurls you through the air. You tumble head over heels, then land upside down!

Oh, no! You’re stuck headfirst in the snow! You struggle, but the snow is packed so tight, you can’t move.

“Help!” you try to yell. It comes out, “HMMPF!”

Then you feel something pull on your heels. Slowly, your body is dragged out of the icy cocoon.

With a final yank, your head comes free. Groggily, you gaze around.

“Thanks for pulling me out,” you mumble, embarrassed.

“Nice driving,” Andy says sarcastically. He points to the snowmobile. It’s burning up. Flames leap into the sky.

The intense heat makes the ice beneath it sizzle. “Whoa!” you cry. “It’s melting a hole!”

Soon there’s a huge hole in the snowfield. You and Andy run over and check it out.

At the bottom, you see something that makes you gasp.

quote:

Beneath the snow is a doorway leading down to an underground building made of ice blocks. A sign over the door says:

HEADQUARTERS OF
THE ABOMINABLE SNOW WOMAN.

“Thanks to me, we found her!” you shout.

Andy just snorts.

You pull open the door and rush through. Inside is a big entrance hall. The floors and walls are made of polished ice.

There are two doorways at the back of the entrance hall. The left-hand door is violet and yellow. The right-hand door is red and green.

Which door leads to the Abominable Snow Woman?

It would help to know her favorite colors.

Remember the poster for this game in the virtual reality arcade? How carefully did you check it out? The poster showed kids fighting a fierce-looking creature. In the sky, lights glowed in two colors. Which colors were they?

If you remember, you’ll know which door to take. If you don’t – take a guess.

If you think the lights were red and green, turn to PAGE 66.

If you think they were violet and yellow, turn to PAGE 34.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magnifying Glass

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
Stuck with a massive repair bill after digging our way through the VR machine.
Fed to a litter of Abominable Ice Puppies.

Achievements
None yet.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

..... K?

So, winning the match would cause a bad ending?

Uhhhh, Red!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah they were all yellow

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Red and green are winter colors

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
Oh no I do not remember at all, and I don't want to cheat.

...yellow and violet.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Violet and yellow

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yellow and Violet

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

I loved the Give Yourself Goosebumps books I managed to get my hands on as a kid, so binging this thread has been great. And now I understand why I have almost no memory of the screaming knight book, despite definitely having owned it. I was never that into the main series, though, so a lot of the references went over my head.

This book and the next one are actually the ones I remember the best, but still not well enough to have paid attention to the colours on the poster. So I'll say violet and yellow, because I like those colours better.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

I have to admit, I'm impressed! I went back and changed the colors in the original post to red and green just to mess with anyone who tried to cheat, but it looks like most of you actually got it right on your own!

quote:

You’re certain that the colors were violet and yellow. “Let’s take the left-hand door,” you tell Andy.

He shrugs. “Okay.”

The door opens onto a long hall. At the far end is another door with a sign saying OFFICE.

You approach the door and knock. A voice calls, “Come in.”

Inside, you stop and stare in surprise. The person waiting for you is a tall woman dressed in gray robes and a gray veil.

“Madame Zapp!” you cry. “What are you doing here?”

“I live here,” she answers. “This is my domain.”

Huh? Okay. She’s weird. But you can’t worry about that now. “Well, I’m glad we ran into you,” you hurry on. “We’re looking for the Abominable Snow Woman. We want to exit this game.”

Madame Zapp laughs. “No one leaves this game unless the Abominable Snow Woman agrees,” she tells you. “And she won’t.”

“How do you know?” Andy demands.

“Haven’t you guessed?” Madame Zapp murmurs.

Then she pulls off her veil.

You scream in terror.

quote:

Madame Zapp is the most hideous creature you can imagine. Her skin is blue and covered with icy warts. Instead of hair, icicles sprout from her head. Her eyes flash blue light.

“I am the Abominable Snow Woman!” she thunders. “And you’re mine!”

“You’re not real!” you cry. “You’re just a computer creature!”

“As long as real people play the game, I exist,” she retorts. “And that is why I cannot let you leave!”

Andy looks like he’s going to faint.

“You fell into my trap!” she tells you with a hideous laugh. “I set up the virtual reality arcade to lure kids into my game. The more people I trap here, the stronger I become.”

Oh, no! She wants to trap even more kids. This is terrible!

Somehow, you have to get out of here. You have to stop Madame Zapp’s evil plan!

But how?

quote:

“Come on!” Andy cries. “Let’s find the control center. That’s how we’ll end the game.”

“Hah!” the Snow Woman snarls. “The control center is at the northernmost part of the North Pole. The only way to reach it is through my Ice Maze. But you’ll never get there. The maze is so confusing, no one has ever succeeded.”

You gulp. “No one?”

“No one!” she repeats. “Especially not two puny kids!”

You square your shoulders. “We have no choice,” you declare. “We have to try.”

The Abominable Snow Woman laughs. “Go right ahead. But don’t say I didn’t warn you!”

In a whirl of snowflakes, she vanishes.

WHSSSSSHHHHH! The back of the room slides open to reveal a long hallway. Its walls, floor, and ceiling are all bright white. Frigid air seeps out, numbing your cheeks.

Brrrr!

It’s the beginning of the Ice Maze.

Did you bring the compass from the cave? If so, turn to PAGE 134.

If not, enter the maze on PAGE 47.

Unfortunately, a magnifying glass isn't going to help us find our way north, which means we get a very dumb bad end.

quote:

You and Andy enter the hallway. Its icy walls sparkle like diamonds. It’s almost blinding. Already, you feel confused – and you haven’t even gone anywhere yet.

You want to head north. But you have no idea which way north is. The hall branches off to the right and left. The branches branch.

In no time, you are majorly mixed up.

“Where are we?” Andy cries.

“How should I know?” you retort. “Just keep walking!”

Then you turn a corner – and find yourself in a room full of circuits and switches. A virtual reality booth is attached to one wall. Two helmets are wired into the booth. There’s a red switch on the wall above the helmets. By the switch hangs a sign: HOMING DEVICE.

“This must be the control room!” Andy cries. “We did it! Come on. Let’s put on the helmets!”

“Wait!” you object. “This is too easy. Why isn’t the Abominable Snow Woman stopping us?”

“Who knows?” Andy responds. “Who cares? All I know is, this looks like the way out!”

Maybe Andy’s right. Maybe you did find the way out.

You place the helmet on your head and pull the red switch.

quote:

Everything goes dark. Then the Abominable Snow Woman’s voice sounds in your helmet. “You wanted to go home,” she says, and laughs. “This device will send you home. But not to the home you are expecting!”

Uh-oh. That sounds bad!

Before you can rip the helmet off, a siren sounds. Your whole body buzzes. For just one moment, you feel as if you’re flying. Then, with a thump, you land on something soft. The buzzing stops. And you can see again.

The helmet is gone. You’re lying in a bed in a strange room. The room obviously belongs to a kid. Model airplanes hang from the ceiling. Schoolbooks line a shelf above a bed. A computer sits on a desk.

“Andy!” someone calls. “Are you in there?”

You glance around. There’s no sign of Andy.

“He’s not here!” You call back.

The door opens. “What do you mean you’re not here, Andy?” a kind-looking woman says. “Or have you changed your name?”

You stare at the woman. You’ve never seen her before.

Where is Andy? Where is the control center?

What’s going on?

quote:

“It’s almost time for dinner, son,” the woman says. “Wash up and come on downstairs.”

Son?

As soon as she leaves the room, you run to the dresser. You stare into the mirror above it.

Andy’s face stares back at you.

“No!” you cry, panicked.

Andy’s mouth forms the word “no.”

You can’t believe it! But it’s true. The Abominable Snow Woman’s homing device has put your brain into Andy’s body. It’s sent you to his home.

You have a horrible feeling that Andy’s brain is now in your body, in your home.

Somehow, you have to find him.

Somehow, you have to find a way to switch back!

But later, as you eat dinner, you realize something very important.

Andy’s mom is a better cook than your mom.

Yum! There’s no hurry, is there?

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magnifying Glass

Bad Endings
:siren:Escaped the virtual world, but swapped bodies with Andy in the process.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Play "Adrift off Vega".
  • Escape on the floating iceberg.
  • Take the compass.
  • Take both the compass and the magnifying glass.
  • Win the arm-wrestling contest with Andy.
  • Take the red and green door.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Now that we've CYMK'd our death, let's RGB our death!

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 6, 2020

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
What.

Wonder what happens if we take the red and green door?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
This ending doesn't seem so bad.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Take the compass.

I’m sure we get a dumb punishment for taking both.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
I insist on cheating and taking both the compass and magnifying glass.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

LuffyVeggies posted:

Do this.I am a kid who wants to be prepared.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

LuffyVeggies posted:

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

I guess I remembered the light colours better than I thought.

Anyway, since the Abominable Snow Woman is Madam Vega, and following her suggestions is what got us into this, let's ignore her note and take both items.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Darthemed posted:

I’m sure we get a dumb punishment for taking both.

As a matter of fact, we do!

quote:

“Who cares what the sign says?” you declare. “There’s no one here to stop us. I say we take both things!”

You pick up the magnifying glass. Andy grabs the compass.

You head for the exit.

Just then, a beam of sunlight straggles into the cave. The beam reflects off the icy wall and hits the polished metal of the compass. By chance, the light reflects off the compass and into your eyes.

“Hey!” you cry. You throw your hands in front of your eyes to block the dazzling light.

Whoops.

You forgot about the magnifying glass in your hand.

The light from the compass strikes the magnifying glass. The lens focuses the sunlight on a big ice pillar in the center of the cave.

You quickly shove the magnifying glass into your pocket.

But it’s too late.

quote:

In an instant, the beam of focused light melts a chunk from the center of the pillar! The pillar collapses.

Now the floor begins to shake. A thundering noise fills the cave. Sharp bits of ice break off and plunge from the ceiling.

With a deafening WHOOSH! the cave collapses, burying you and Andy under a ton of white powder.

Snow long, sucker! And remember: Next time the sign says TAKE ONE – TAKE ONE!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magnifying Glass

Bad Endings
Escaped the virtual world, but swapped bodies with Andy in the process.
:siren:Accidentally caused a cave-in with a magnifying glass and a compass.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Take the compass.
  • Take the red and green door.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
Wow, it was even stupider than I thought it would be! I'm satisfied :)

Anyways, I say red and green this time.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I'm getting too familiar with the tendencies of these ghost-writers.

Take the compass.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

RGB. RGB.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
It's the twelfth day of Christmas, last chance for festive colours.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

We already know the Abominable Snow Woman is behind the yellow and violet door, but maybe there's something else that can help us behind the red and green door?

quote:

“I think the lights were red and green,” you declare. “Let’s try this door.”

Andy shrugs and follows you through the red and green door. You find yourselves in a roomful of machinery. Everything there – boilers, wheels, pistons – is white with frost.

The biggest machine has a huge red switch. A sign over the switch says WARNING: DO NOT TURN OFF OR GAME WILL END.

“This is it!” you shout excitedly. “It’s the controls for the game! If we turn it off, we’ll be free!”

“Wait!” Andy cautions.

Too late – you’ve already pulled the switch.

KAROOOOOOOOCHMUNCK! The machinery grinds to a halt.

“Yeowch!” you yell. Your hand feels as if it’s burning up!

You try to pull your hand from the icy switch, but it’s stuck. It’s frozen in place! And it’s turning blue with cold.

“Don’t pull!” Andy cries. “You’ll rip your skin off. Wait, I see a shovel. I’ll use it to break the switch.”

There’s another possibility. If you took the magnifying glass from the ice cave, you could melt your way free.

Break the switch on PAGE 57.

If you have the magnifying glass, use it to melt the switch on PAGE 136.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magnifying Glass

Bad Endings
Accidentally caused a cave-in with a magnifying glass and a compass.

Achievements
None yet.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

USE Magnifying Glass on Switch

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Let's magnify our problems.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
Let's magnify it!

On a side note, I did once try the magnifying glass thing. It took me thirty minutes of experimentation because I was a stupid kid who didn't realize it was the focus that caused the burning, and even then all I managed was a bit of burn damage to a wooden deck.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just destroy the drat switch

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

We brought the magnifying glass all this way, so we might as well use it!

quote:

With your free hand, you pull the magnifying glass out of your pocket. Sunlight streams in through a small window behind you. You hold up the glass and focus the beam of light on the switch.

Slowly, a tiny plume of steam rises from the switch.

“It’s working!” Andy declares.

You soon feel your hand growing warmer. The switch softens. With a hiss, it dissolves in a puddle of red plastic.

You pull your hand free. It’s still sort of blue. But you figure it will turn back to normal as soon as you warm-up.

The machine makes a popping noise. Sparks shoot through the hole where the switch was. Blue streamers of electricity jump across the room.

“Everything is shorting out!” Andy cries. “Let’s go!”

You and Andy rush through the sparks to the door. The electricity makes Andy’s hair stands straight up. If you weren’t so scared, you’d giggle at the way he looks.

You throw yourselves against the door. An arc of electricity jumps over you and you squeeze your eyes shut. You feel the door slide open behind you. You tumble through.

quote:

You expect to see ice and snow.

Instead, you see a familiar-looking plastic booth.

You’re back in the virtual reality arcade!

Melting the switch released you!

You’ve never been so happy to finish a game. You pull off your helmet and gaze around. Madame Zapp opens the booth door.

Jordan and Katy stand impatiently outside.

“We’ve been waiting forever,” Jordan says. “Let’s go home!”

“But –“ You glance around, puzzled. “Where is Andy?”

“The other boy already left,” Madame Zapp tells you.

“But what about the Abominable Snow Woman?” you ask. “We were trapped in the game! We couldn’t get out!”

“I told you it would seem very real,” Madame Zapp says. “Run along now, I’m closing up. Have an ice – uh, I mean nice – day.” She shoves you quickly out the door.

You can’t believe it! You were so sure everything that happened was real. You can’t believe it’s all over.

On the way home, you discover that it isn’t over.

Not quite yet.

quote:

“Look at your right hand!” Katy gasps. “It’s blue!”

You glance down at your hand. You catch your breath.

It’s true! Your hand is still blue – the way it was when it was frozen to the switch. It’s horrifying!

You duck into a restaurant. “Wait for me,” you tell your friends anxiously. “I’m going to run my hand under hot water.”

The instant you touch the restroom faucet, it freezes solid. Instead of a normal metal color, it’s now ice-blue.

Instead of water, ice cubes tumble out of the tap.

In a panic, you grab a towel. It turns stiff and cold.

“AAAGH!” you scream, shocked. You drop the towel.

It shatters on the floor!

You reach for another towel with your left hand.

Nothing unusual happens. The towel stays soft.

“Oh, no!” you whisper as you realize the awful truth.

The game has permanently changed your right hand. Everything it touches freezes instantly.

The downside is, your friends complain that you always give them the cold shoulder. But don’t worry, there is an upside.

You’ll never have a problem making iced tea!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magnifying Glass

Bad Endings

Achievements
:siren:A Touch of Frostbite: Escaped the virtual world and gained the power to freeze anything we touch.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Take the compass.
  • Break the frozen switch.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 10, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, there's only one place we can go from here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRH-Ywpz1_I

Break the switch. And remove melt the switch from the options.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Let's sail on an iceberg! I mean, what could go wrong?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I can't remember the context, but sure, let's go sink the Titanic.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

That was dumb. Situation Normal then I guess.

Break the Switch

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Break the switch

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

I wonder how breaking the switch will kill us.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
I would like to float on an iceberg.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Shwoo posted:

I wonder how breaking the switch will kill us.

Let's find out!

quote:

“Break the switch!” you instruct Andy.

He takes the shovel, raises it, and smashes it down on the switch.

KLANNNNNNNNG! The vibrations rattle the fillings in your teeth. Again, Andy smashes the shovel on the switch.

KARPLOOK! KABLAMMMMMMINGGGGG! KAPLOOOOIE!

The switch snaps right off the machine. The machine bursts open. Gears, levers, sprockets, and wires fly out. Thick, gray, bitter-smelling steam hisses from the broken engine.

The nasty steam fills the air. You begin to choke. You try to open the door to escape. But the doorknob won’t turn.

Uh-oh. If you don’t get out soon, you’ll smother!

You sink to the floor, gasping. Then you hear the door slam.

“Someone’s here!” Andy cries. “We’re saved!”

You glance up as a shadow looms through the thick steam.

And feel your heart sink to your toenails.

quote:

A deep, booming voice fills the air. “Who broke my machine?”

You look up and see a huge woman dressed in gray robes. Her skin is ice blue. Her teeth are sharp, pointed icicles. White puffs of frost surround her head like hair.

“It’s the Abominable Snow Woman!” Andy gasps.

“Ah, so you know who I am,” she snarls. “Perhaps you also know the penalty for destroying my things.”

“We didn’t mean to,” you protest. “We just wanted to get out of the game. We thought the switch would turn it off!”

She begins to laugh. It’s not a pretty sound. “You thought this switch controlled the virtual reality game?” she thunders. “You’ve made a terrible mistake. Worse than you know!”

quote:

“The virtual reality game is not controlled from here,” the Abominable Snow Woman sneers. “This machine makes and throws snowballs for my ice-tennis game.” she bends down until her face is close to yours. “AND YOU BROKE IT!”

“We’re sorry!” you squeak.

“I’m sure it can be fixed,” Andy adds with a smile.

“The repairman won’t be back for another century,” the Snow Woman grumbles. “Until then, you two will make my snowballs.”

She hoists both of you under her arms and carries you down a long corridor to a tennis court. There she drops you into a pile of snow. “Get busy!” she snarls.

Quickly, you pack a snowball and toss it to her. She swings a tennis racket at it.

THWACK! The snowball speeds back and smashes into your face.

“More snowballs!” she shouts. “Faster!”

You toss another snowball, spitting snow and ice out of your mouth. “I can’t believe we have a hundred years of this!” you groan. “We’re going to spend the rest of our lives getting whacked in the face by snowballs!”

“Look on the bright side,” Andy says. “The Abominable Snow Woman’s favorite sport might have been ice bowling!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magnifying Glass

Bad Endings
:siren:Forced to serve snowballs for an ice-tennis game for a hundred years.:siren:

Achievements
A Touch of Frostbite: Escaped the virtual world and gained the power to freeze anything we touch.

Our options posted:

• Take the compass.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Iceberg out of here.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Iceberg, we ride!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU