Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

JethroMcB posted:

I downloaded it this morning and didn't get a Santaman ad, what did they say to piss off Harry's/get it pulled in under 8 hours

Odd, you don't have one at 34 minutes? I downloaded late this morning and got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ManoliIsFat posted:

Odd, you don't have one at 34 minutes? I downloaded late this morning and got it

Nope, just the Hims ad. I see it's on the regular Earwolf feed episode, must've been a mix-up with the Stitcher Premium Ads Version.

Yeah this is fantastic. "'Skin hunger,' they call it." :mmmhmm:

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 7, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I didn't get a Harry's ad and mine would've downloaded as soon as it was available.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

JethroMcB posted:

Nope, just the Hims ad. I see it's on the regular Earwolf feed episode, must've been a mix-up with the Stitcher Premium Ads Version.

Yeah this is fantastic. "'Skin hunger,' they call it." :mmmhmm:

Oh interesting. I wonder if the Stitcher Ads feed has totally different ads.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I listen on Pocket Casts and got the Hims.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Santaman on the regular feed over here.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
today's pro version is fantastic

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It is. Also I realized that I didn't finish the pro version from last week, so I caught up and now I really hope that Ryan continues being the R2D2 of the show.

Also :siren: Superego is back :siren:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

feedmyleg posted:

Also :siren: Superego is back :siren:

:toot: hell yeah, glad I had the thread to tell me since Stitcher proper won't.

(I hope they lay off the stunt show segments this year, they've never been able to recapture the magic of the original Swampbucklers* bit.)

*Swampbucklers is based on American history.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is superego the kind of show you can jump into at the beginning of a season?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yep. It's just silly, surrealist vignettes centered around constantly-rotating themed scenarios. You may miss some references to older stuff or have less context than folks who have listened to everything, but you won't be confused because of any of that. If anything you'll just be confused because it's real weird.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I'm a woman

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Riptor posted:

I'm a woman

And I'm just a white wine drunk with a taste for the macabre

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cool, always meant to listen properly but never had the time to. Jumping in!

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I'm a broken record about this, but If you enjoy Superego and haven't listened to Forgotten Classics I cannot recommend it enough.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I started listening to Superego last night for the first time, thanks to this thread.

Started with Season 3, as they recommended, and my god, it was killer. The massage skit and the raw food skit had me crying with laughter.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

I started listening to Superego last night for the first time, thanks to this thread.

Started with Season 3, as they recommended, and my god, it was killer. The massage skit and the raw food skit had me crying with laughter.

I did the same, and got through all the seasons in like a week. I can't believe I put it off for so long, it is sublime.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ManoliIsFat posted:

I did the same, and got through all the seasons in like a week. I can't believe I put it off for so long, it is sublime.

Don't skip Forgotten Classics.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Superego is perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUD7rmHartE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOrA9-2xnGY

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

This one is my favorite

https://youtu.be/EvfvstDunAw

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRokoqGNt0c

"This is Samantha Ridiculous" is a phrase that's entered my lexicon that literally nobody would ever, ever recognize or understand.

The Behind the Bonus episodes are fascinating and worth a listen as well. They play fully- or almost-completed segments that didn't make the cut for regular episodes and discuss why they just didn't quite come together. Celebrities at Their Ugliest Behavior is especially good, the concept being that PFT and Tom Lennon are shock jocks hosting "Tampa Bay's only pass-around cassette tape radio" who exclusively play candid recordings of celebrity meltdowns. They talk about realizing that the celeb meltdown bits are decently funny on their own, but the wraparounds with the DJs are just so drat good that they make them worse by association and as a result it never quite works. It's a good look into their creative process and makes you realize how much work goes into stuff that, once it's edited, runs about 5 minutes.

Doom Room!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Don Dimello as a substitute teacher is my all-time favorite. And conveniently they recorded video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSbfCwWDrTc

"It'll do the job! In a pinch, it'll do the job..." goes through my head every time I take a sip of a strong drink. Or, really, any time something happens in my life that isn't ideal but is good enough. And "fingering" has permanently been replaced in my brain by "fingeriiiinnngggg-k!"

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3SahJbgk1Gw

There’s a moment in this that, despite having listened to it probably 20 times, still always kills me.

And of course, Shunt with Neko Case is fantastic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnbOU-AOVo

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39kb74k1z5o

This segment has like 3 of the top 10 funniest sentences Paul F. Tompkins has ever said

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I remember the revival church with Pete Sampras. I think Dan Harmon was a guest.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Here's my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVlQ8kIg7e4
And the sequel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9tvaa7hvz8

You empty 'em dreamcatchers?

Fezz fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 11, 2020

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Reformed Pissboy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39kb74k1z5o

This segment has like 3 of the top 10 funniest sentences Paul F. Tompkins has ever said

"That's alarming" "It's 4 alarming *ring ring ring, whoo*..chili...we're having a Christmas chili"

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

I must also link this skit, which was video-only, because the throwaway jokes in the menu alone are insanely good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HibSW5DKg4

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

JethroMcB posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRokoqGNt0c

"This is Samantha Ridiculous" is a phrase that's entered my lexicon that literally nobody would ever, ever recognize or understand.

The Behind the Bonus episodes are fascinating and worth a listen as well. They play fully- or almost-completed segments that didn't make the cut for regular episodes and discuss why they just didn't quite come together. Celebrities at Their Ugliest Behavior is especially good, the concept being that PFT and Tom Lennon are shock jocks hosting "Tampa Bay's only pass-around cassette tape radio" who exclusively play candid recordings of celebrity meltdowns. They talk about realizing that the celeb meltdown bits are decently funny on their own, but the wraparounds with the DJs are just so drat good that they make them worse by association and as a result it never quite works. It's a good look into their creative process and makes you realize how much work goes into stuff that, once it's edited, runs about 5 minutes.

Doom Room!

Doom Room is a classic. Shunt Mcguppin and Sam Elliot is awesome. Every Buffum's Fragrance Counter sketch rocks.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
On HDTGP they're talking about Death Standing and they're into it and enthusiastic but it sounds terrible and insufferable going by their description of it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The Ape of Naples posted:

On HDTGP they're talking about Death Standing and they're into it and enthusiastic but it sounds terrible and insufferable going by their description of it.

I mean, same with every review I read.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I hadn’t started it but made sure to get 10 hours in before this episode dropped after they announced it, and it is a joyous listen.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Mr. Squishy posted:

I remember the revival church with Pete Sampras. I think Dan Harmon was a guest.

He is, I think he's the racist Senator that gets like one line.

ManoliIsFat posted:

"That's alarming" "It's 4 alarming *ring ring ring, whoo*..chili...we're having a Christmas chili"

"We are down at the firehouse and we are drunk as poo poo" gets me every time.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

The Ape of Naples posted:

Yeah they’re all gushing about it and all I can think is that there’s no way I can commit 40+ hours to a walking simulator.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
It’s definitely not for everyone but I’ll say I found it a lot more fun than I was expecting it to be. I went in expecting like more of an “experience” because of all the lovely dialog surrounding the game but it’s way gamier than you might expect

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I beat Death Stranding and I don't understand the criticism of the game as a "walking simulator". It's a game where your missions are to make deliveries. The deliveries take you through difficult terrain where you can use a huge number of tools and equipment (and you get new equipment constantly up to the very end of the game) to deal with a bunch of different and varied hazards. It's pretty fun. The main problem with the game is that the menus are overly complex.

It's like complaining about Crazy Taxi being a cabbie simulator or something.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Fil5000 posted:

"We are down at the firehouse and we are drunk as poo poo" gets me every time.

"FIRE...it's an element! There's only four, and we're taking care of one. It's us, and the windfighters."

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Death Stranding's a piece of poo poo cause it didn't give me a trophy for building all the roads.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Casey Finnigan posted:

I beat Death Stranding and I don't understand the criticism of the game as a "walking simulator". It's a game where your missions are to make deliveries. The deliveries take you through difficult terrain where you can use a huge number of tools and equipment (and you get new equipment constantly up to the very end of the game) to deal with a bunch of different and varied hazards. It's pretty fun. The main problem with the game is that the menus are overly complex.

It's like complaining about Crazy Taxi being a cabbie simulator or something.

Aye, lots of games sound pretty boring if you bring them down to their basic verbs; it’s the systems and how they interact with each other that provides a lot of the satisfaction.

And it’s clear a lot of reviewers never even bothered to engage with the games systems so you had a lot of people banging their head against the wall and getting frustrated unnecessarily. Again not everyone will like the game but it sure seemed like a lot of people were doing the equivalent of playing a JRPG, only mashing the attack button and nothing else, and then complaining that it’s boring to just mash the attack button over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I get an immense amount of satisfaction just driving back and forth between sites making deliveries. The menu system does take some getting used to and having the map/mission/commlink be tied to the teeny tiny Options button rather than the main touchpad requires some dexterity from my goony old man sausage thumb. There's some annoying cinematics for the repetitive tasks that get old after the 2nd time you do them (loading cargo into the bay, encountering BTs, getting in and out of vehicles, etc.) but most of them are skippable.

The story itself is pretty incredible; if you know Kojima at all then you'll know words like "predictable" and "subtle" will be found nowhere near this. The end of Chapter 3 is pretty WTF and then it jumps you into Chapter 4 which takes that WTF and multiplies it by 10.

Tarranon posted:

Aye, lots of games sound pretty boring if you bring them down to their basic verbs; it’s the systems and how they interact with each other that provides a lot of the satisfaction.

And it’s clear a lot of reviewers never even bothered to engage with the games systems so you had a lot of people banging their head against the wall and getting frustrated unnecessarily. Again not everyone will like the game but it sure seemed like a lot of people were doing the equivalent of playing a JRPG, only mashing the attack button and nothing else, and then complaining that it’s boring to just mash the attack button over and over

Yeah absolutely do not go into this thinking it will have normal combat mechanics at all. Even MGS-style combat is nowhere near what you do in DS.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 13, 2020