Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

https://twitter.com/AdamFriedland/status/1214724699520950272?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Martout posted:

so, uh, war then?

I mean the Big Wet President has to do something in response to missile attacks even if no casualties?
in theory trump might do like he did when the drone got shot down and not retaliate on the grounds no one died and also trump did like get a lot of bad will from the assassination so maybe he's satiated and can cool off

in reality trump has insane neocons yelling in his ear that somehow convinced him to do the insane assassination in the first place so lmao

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

cnn claims 176 dead
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/07/middleeast/plane-crash-iran-intl-hnk/index.html
this is the claim:

quote:

The Ukrainian Embassy in Tehran said it has ruled out terrorism as a cause of the crash and that preliminary information shows it was caused by an engine malfunction. Iran's semi-official news agency ISNA previously reported the crash was due to technical difficulties. Iran's Civil Aviation Authority said it had launched an investigation.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
that's one hell of an engine failure if it was

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i guess we're mostly alive so it's good to see you lot again

now to wait for the inevitable 2020-esque reveal that will just send everything spinning off the rails again

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

that's one hell of an engine failure if it was

This is Ukraine we're talking about.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/1214825315459092480

looks like Trump found the HAARP array button

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

theres video of the plane falling out of the sky on fire so if it was the engine, and i still think it was an AA battery, it must have exploded and taken out the hydrulics and other poo poo like united air 232

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I've thrown a double A into a campfire before and no way would that take down a plane

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
heh

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

lmao

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

paul_soccer12 posted:

any updates?

All depends if Trump talked to Tucker or Hannity last.

I not even sure if I’m joking.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
it ran into an American drone circling the airport

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Tehran Times and al-Arabiya (probably not a great source tbf) are both claiming that 80 Americans died in the missile attacks with both claiming the IRGC as source https://mobile.twitter.com/AlArabiya_Eng/status/1214794012571394050 https://www.tehrantimes.com/news/443924/Over-80-U-S-forces-dead-in-Iran-missile-attack-to-targets-in

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

western news sources are still claiming 0 us troop casualties so far, and i doubt that the army would like do a massive cover-up of us casualties to prevent escalation of the war

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

There is no way it was engine malfunction. Even if the engine caught on fire, the procedure is to shut it off and cut fuel supply thus extinguishing the flame as there is nothing to burn. This can absolutely cause a plane to crash during take-off due to losing thrust but engine fire will not cause it to explode in the air.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

it wasnt even one of the new planes thats designed to explode

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

what are the chances we'll get pictures of the damage done to the base?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Algund Eenboom posted:

Tehran Times and al-Arabiya (probably not a great source tbf) are both claiming that 80 Americans died in the missile attacks with both claiming the IRGC as source https://mobile.twitter.com/AlArabiya_Eng/status/1214794012571394050 https://www.tehrantimes.com/news/443924/Over-80-U-S-forces-dead-in-Iran-missile-attack-to-targets-in

I don’t see how the IRGC would know this.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
It is just propaganda. I am fine with it. Who cares. Get out of Iraq you rednecks.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

OhFunny posted:

I don’t see how the IRGC would know this.

it's propaganda for domestic consumption

say that you merced some yankees and maybe the popular bloodlust will be sated

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

comedyblissoption posted:

western news sources are still claiming 0 us troop casualties so far, and i doubt that the army would like do a massive cover-up of us casualties to prevent escalation of the war
I really like that we are still acting like all the actors on the field are rational people who coordinate their effort for the same end.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Ukraine published who died sorted by citizenship:
Iran: 82
Canada: 63
Ukraine: 2+9(crew)
Sweden: 10
Afghanistan: 4
Germany: 3
UK: 3

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

No idea what happened in this case, but how do you just continue routine operations when everyone in the region scrambles their airforce? Airline operators just give no fucks.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol at the Iranians squandering all that goodwill by shooting down an airliner

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

genericnick posted:

No idea what happened in this case, but how do you just continue routine operations when everyone in the region scrambles their airforce? Airline operators just give no fucks.

I imagine one of the driving motivations was "I want to get the gently caress out of Iran"

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
That airliner was definitely shot down, no doubt about it. Just look at the footage and the crash debris, it was blown out of the sky for sure. "Mechanical failure" being blamed as the reason about 5 minutes after the incident is a pretty sure sign of a cover up too, no way they could know what took the plane out so soon after the incident if it really was an issue with the plane.

Also all the people going "lol Ukraine" - that airline has never had a crash before.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1214860559801298944?s=19

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Bro Dad posted:

it wasnt even one of the new planes thats designed to explode

you know how modern cars are designed to crumple in a crash? well,

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

*whips out novelty sized Bellingcat issue magnifying glass*

https://twitter.com/AliRida_SB/status/1214847641152032773?s=20

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

the only thing weird or surprising so far about the airline crash is why each side isn't blaming each other yet

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

CODChimera posted:

the only thing weird or surprising so far about the airline crash is why each side isn't blaming each other yet

if there were any americans on the plane i think it'd be different, but all the nationalities involved don't really want this to escalate i guess

as an aside, was clued into this by someone on twitter posting patriot missile battery locations, apparently you can figure out where patriots are based from how their early warning radar interferes with the radar sensors of the civilian observation satellite with open data, Sentinel-1, and it literally shows up as an X mark: https://medium.com/@HarelDan/x-marks-the-spot-579cdb1f534b

edit: to clarify, this is interesting to me, i'm sure adversaries could ascertain where patriots are through many other means

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Depending on how extensive the damage to Al-Assad is, CENTCOM may be completely boned.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

shrike82 posted:

that was definitely the americans, fyi

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

America still bears responsibility for the heightened tensions, assuming it was shot down.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it does lend credence to Iran being another paper tiger. the US MIC is barely functioning due to graft but apparently every other military is even worse off

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Sekenr posted:

Ukraine published who died sorted by citizenship:
Iran: 82
Canada: 63
Ukraine: 2+9(crew)
Sweden: 10
Afghanistan: 4
Germany: 3
UK: 3

Jesus, that's a lot of Canadians. I know there's a big Iranian diaspora community up there. What a nightmare.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

shrike82 posted:

If it's true (it probably is), Iran managed to kill more of their own citizens as a result of their attack than Americans

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Spergin Morlock posted:

If it's true (it probably is), Iran managed to kill more of their own citizens as a result of their attack than Americans
That's already a given considering the stampede deaths at Soleimani's funeral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol if you think Iranians care about a bad K/D ratio