Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Zag says 'mate' a lot but its clearly not in the voice actors common parlance so it sounds super weird. Real hard A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Finally managed to get a clear with every weapon (though I suppose some of them were cheats because I just spammed cast builds), looking forward to going back in and turning up the heat.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Motherfucker posted:

Zag says 'mate' a lot but its clearly not in the voice actors common parlance so it sounds super weird. Real hard A

Sounds exactly how a lot of British people I’ve spoken with say it

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Sounds exactly how a lot of British people I’ve spoken with say it

As an Australian and thus an inveterate sayer of 'Mate' I know a weird mate when I hear it, a smooth mate would be written as mayte there's a silent y in there that smooths out the t, this boy is spitting out his t like no brit should, you can hear the tounge flicking... ITS ALL WRONG OK

A complete travesty and I hope it is patched in the future :colbert:

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 8, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Motherfucker posted:

As an Australian and thus an inveterate sayer of 'Mate' I know a weird mate when I hear it, a smooth mate would be written as mayte there's a silent y in there that smooths out the t, this boy is spitting out his t like no brit should, you can hear the tounge flicking... ITS ALL WRONG OK

A complete travesty and I hope it is patched in the future :colbert:

As a kiwi who lived in London for two years and also Melbourne for one, thereby having lived in no less than 3 countries that say "mate", you are wrong Motherfucker

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 8, 2020

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Not to give the impression I have a dog in this race but personally I want him to call everyone mate, including Aphrodite and Hades and Meg.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Out of curiosity, does anybody have an idea of what exactly Alecto's rage affects, and how to stop her from 'charging' in the phases before she's perma-raged?

I've beaten her a bunch of times but can't quite seem to pinpoint why Rage matters, other than her special attack, and how to stop the charging because a regular attack doesn't seem to do it as far as I can tell. But maybe I'm not paying enough attention.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
She starts using more abilities and attacks faster while rage is up, far as I know. I don't think you can really stop it from happening.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Wafflecopper posted:

As a kiwi who lived in London for two years and also Melbourne for one, thereby having lived in no less than 3 countries that say "mate", you are wrong Motherfucker

Zag's voice actor is American m8

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
heres what i've learned so far (still doing baby heat runs but not losing anymore):

1.) The game has a way it wants you to use each weapon. Generally it's attacking, dashing, and sometimes specialing like a blender. Most system mechanics in the game are tuned the way they are to support this playstyle. The game rewards you exceptionally heavily for offensively dashing.

2.) Privileged Status is an extremely important mechanic to understand. It is why Ares, Aphrodite, and Dionysus attack buffs are often competitive with Zeus/Artemis. If your BnB attack pattern for a run does not inflict two or more statuses, you are at a huge disadvantage (splashing aphrodite/ares dash is often far stronger than it seems). This is also why Jolted can be an absurdly important zeus buff.

3.) Melee weapons are competitive due to privileged status allowing you to splash effects from attack, dash, and special rather than just attack and special. (This is why the spear is a touch weaker than shield/sword imo.)

4.) If you're struggling with Hades prioritize Aphrodite, she makes the fight way way easier. Before you start playing for time she's honestly op she doubles your life vs bosses how good is that???

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

Just did a run where I got Hunter's Dash(+100% dash damage) from Artemis in the entrance room, then never got offered an actual damaging Dash boon again for the rest of the run. That'll teach me to have faith in RNG in my favor.

Seconding Aphrodite, she has a real good cast if you're playing a weapon that wants to be close range, and adding weak on enemies constantly is really helpful for survivability. A lot of Athena boons can be amazing as well, I prefer her dash over any other because reflecting rules and when an attack is coming my way my instinct is already to dash into it or just around it so having it also reflect is super useful, and you can absolutely own Bone Hydra by reflecting his rapid fire projectiles back at him from right in his face so they'll mostly all be hitting him.

I've found the one thing I really like from Zeus is his cast, I've gotten it paired with Hermes' Flurry Cast on two different runs, once with Artemis' legendary that gives you a bunch more bloodstones, so it was just slamming out bouncy lightning balls everywhere and it was GREAT.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Man I haven't had a Duo boon in like 3 runs now despite having 4-5 different god boons. I swear I'm never going to finish this Duo Boon Prophecy list.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

thewizardofshoe posted:

Just did a run where I got Hunter's Dash(+100% dash damage) from Artemis in the entrance room, then never got offered an actual damaging Dash boon again for the rest of the run. That'll teach me to have faith in RNG in my favor.

Seconding Aphrodite, she has a real good cast if you're playing a weapon that wants to be close range, and adding weak on enemies constantly is really helpful for survivability. A lot of Athena boons can be amazing as well, I prefer her dash over any other because reflecting rules and when an attack is coming my way my instinct is already to dash into it or just around it so having it also reflect is super useful, and you can absolutely own Bone Hydra by reflecting his rapid fire projectiles back at him from right in his face so they'll mostly all be hitting him.

I've found the one thing I really like from Zeus is his cast, I've gotten it paired with Hermes' Flurry Cast on two different runs, once with Artemis' legendary that gives you a bunch more bloodstones, so it was just slamming out bouncy lightning balls everywhere and it was GREAT.

Yeah I like Zeus's cast. Especially throw on Jolted and you're good to go. I will say I also think Zeus's call is extremely great, especially with Shield or Broken Spearpoint bcause you can stand near the bosses and just delete 1/3rd of their life.

Had a run where I had like +3 Casts from Artemis, +1 Cast from Chaos, Artemis's Secondary Cast for 50% damage, and yet I didn't actually ever get offered a Cast boon itself so I was stuck shooting the garbage default. loving a

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ragnar34 posted:

Not to give the impression I have a dog in this race but personally I want him to call everyone mate, including Aphrodite and Hades and Meg.

I like the fact that absent some other relationship he calls divine beings "mate" but mortals "sir". It's a nice bit of character.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

thewizardofshoe posted:

I could be wrong but I think that's 100% dash attack damage, ie the move you do when you dash + attack

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Xaris posted:

Man I haven't had a Duo boon in like 3 runs now despite having 4-5 different god boons. I swear I'm never going to finish this Duo Boon Prophecy list.

Some of them have additional requirements. The Zeus + Ares duo for example won't show up unless you have at least one revenge boon, since it's a buff/modifier for revenge boons.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

I could be wrong but I think that's 100% dash attack damage, ie the move you do when you dash + attack

Yeah that's my understanding. It's pretty awkward to use the with the bow and just bad with the rail gun.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Works great with the rail if you get the spread fire Daedalus upgrade.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

This is correct, and the Chaos boons with similar descriptions also boost your dash attack.

I moved dash to right mouse button to help with timing it, it is really good with the Hestia rail.

In other dash attack news, dash attack stops Flurry bow attacking, which is annoying. Flurry bow seems good but boring, it’s obviously better to attack three times than powershot once but you are just a turret.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

thewizardofshoe posted:

The one problem with the Zeus cast is that it's hard to get a bloodstone to stick into a particular target if you want to focus it with Boiling Blood.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

MMF Freeway posted:

Ahhh thanks, that makes sense then. I was using the Rail that run so it was probably not a great pick for me all around.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Works great with the rail if you get the spread fire Daedalus upgrade.

If I remember correctly it's also decent with Flurry Shot (hold attack to continually shoot, no power shot) because it gives the Bow's dash attack full range.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

MMF Freeway posted:

Zag's voice actor is American m8

you may not realise this but actors can often do good accents

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Evidently not.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

bamhand posted:

Yeah that's my understanding. It's pretty awkward to use the with the bow and just bad with the rail gun.

The dash attack for the rail gun is basically two shots with no cooldown between them, which is insane if you boost your attack damage a lot, such as by getting the hammer that turns it into a shotgun like that other person pointed out. Always be dashing if you get that upgrade

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

I like the fact that absent some other relationship he calls divine beings "mate" but mortals "sir". It's a nice bit of character.

zag's a good dude :unsmith:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Literally every weapon benefits from dashing and mixing it into your movement for more than just "dodge enemy" is pretty important. Even the bow has a faster charge after a dash, allowing you to constantly reposition and shoot.

Its just like Skelly says! Always be dashing!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If you make a god angry and then use that same god's call during the fight, Zag will apologize or make some quip about how awkward the situation is

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

If you use their greater call, the god will have something to say instead!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The amount of dialogue in this game is really absurd

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Spoilers because it involves the final boss:

Gee game, thank you for the money pot.

In less spoilery discussion, feel like the game's gotten more manageable now that I managed to get the first few clears and learned final boss patterns. Stupid deaths still happen, but I even feel comfortable cycling through the single heat conditions for the fated list prophecy and actually getting victories. The timer one is going to suck though.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 9, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Internet Kraken posted:

The amount of dialogue in this game is really absurd

and I haven't hit a single bad line yet, either in writing or VA. It's so good :allears:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

thewizardofshoe posted:

hunter's dash is a dash boon, it takes the slot iirc

(i believe it buffs dash attack)

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

No Wave posted:

3.) Melee weapons are competitive due to privileged status allowing you to splash effects from attack, dash, and special rather than just attack and special. (This is why the spear is a touch weaker than shield/sword imo.)

My upgraded Zag spear has gotten me more clears than the sword or shield, mostly since I pick the hold X to auto attack hammer boon and end up pairing it with something amazing like deflect and/or chain lightning

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kill All Cops posted:

My upgraded Zag spear has gotten me more clears than the sword or shield, mostly since I pick the hold X to auto attack hammer boon and end up pairing it with something amazing like deflect and/or chain lightning

I have exactly one (1) spear clear that didn't get the rapid strike boon, and frankly hitting a billion times and/or dashing around like a maniac is basically my strategy on basically anything that isn't the hera bow.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 9, 2020

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Having cleared Hell 10 with every weapon at level 1, I'm firmly of the opinion that all of them are good if you know what you are doing. Bow and gun are more forgiving due to allowing you to focus primarily on dodging but the melee ones are all strong with the right approach. I think that's why I'm still having fun with this game despite an admittedly shallow amount of encounters for a roguelike; all the weapons are fun and satisfying to play with and give you a lot of room to grow in using them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It just feels really good. I think the only thing I dislike is the standard Rail gun, otherwise it's cool murdering stuff over and over. It's very Monolithy.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

I love the quip Zag can say at the final boss, something along the lines of Why don't you just burn that red cloak of yours now, where are you keeping all of those anyway?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
After my first win after 10 runs or so I hit a funk and lost like 6 in a row, but suddenly got better at the game or something because I've now cleared the game with every weapon on 1 heat. Ares's Call really bailed me out a few times for risk-free damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

if you play fast, the time limit is a free two heat, and if you play really fast, it's a free five heat