Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

NatSec team have left the white house for the night so at least be quiet until morning. Nightfall Iran time is when every bodies rear end in a top hat can tighten up next though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
God damnit WWIII is starting for the stupidest reasons.

I finally realized that if they hit Israel hard enough, half the country will sign up to fight.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Captain Log posted:

What response could they have that would be, “crushing?” Iran has always been known for their extremely bombastic view towards words.

We assassinate one of their guys and threaten war crimes based on a 40 yr old hostage situation. Id say bombastic is widely spread here.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Captain Log posted:

God damnit WWIII is starting for the stupidest reasons.

I finally realized that if they hit Israel hard enough, half the country will sign up to fight.

I get the feeling that Iran will keep this fight very narrowly focused on the US, right now they have the upper hand in a geopolitical sense as our allies have basically told us we're morons for assassinating this guy and for threatening to attack Iranian cultural sites. None of our allies want any part of that, Iran knows this.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Smiling Jack posted:

The Soviets were absolutely peers when it came to manufacturering war poo poo as compared to the west but they had gaps in ability, starting mostly in the late 70s, mostly around stuff that needed a strong computer / information tech component (CnC milling, for example). The Mig-25 melty engine was solved by the time the Mig-31 rolled out, IIRC.

karoshi posted:

And then Apollo happened, including microprocessors, surface mount electronics and a myriad other MIC things. The soviets kept using electro-mechanical things to control their spacecraft that I wouldn't be surprised to find in a cheap 1980s wash machine.

As it happens, few days ago I followed some links from this thread and ended up on the Wikipedia article History of computing in the Soviet Union. This could give reasons why they were lacking behind.

quote:

Joseph Stalin considered the computer an evil product of capitalism. The attitude of Soviet officials to computers was skeptical or hostile during the Stalinist era. Government rhetoric portrayed cybernetics in the Soviet Union as a capitalist attempt to further undermine workers' rights.

I guess one of the major weaknesses of dictatorship is, that stupid ideas may have significant staying power. It can provide extra boost for good ideas, but generally good ideas manage well enough on their own. Stupid ideas on the other hand will get surpassed by good ideas pretty quickly.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Some people were suggesting Iran could have milked this without needing to launch an attack back and probably their leadership would have preferred it that way. But it's uncertain to me if the IRCG is sufficiently under control to have stayed at alert and its also entirely possible that the public outrage forced their hands away from what is the most dispassionate cost-benefit min-max analysis.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

That Works posted:

We assassinate one of their guys and threaten war crimes based on a 40 yr old hostage situation. Id say bombastic is widely spread here.

I am not for a second defending the actions that have brought us to this point. I think it's unbelievably stupid that people are dying over what's been going on. But this isn't the political thread, so I'll just sit back and go :stare:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
here is something to ponder: assuming the f-110 was the missile employed, it is accurate enough to hit a specific part of something like an air base. mainstream media reporting is reporting that parts of the base occupied by Americans were not hit.

certainly this could just be a coincidence or remarkably lucky break but there's also a chance that this was a deliberate choice made by the IRGC.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

bewbies posted:

here is something to ponder: assuming the f-110 was the missile employed, it is accurate enough to hit a specific part of something like an air base. mainstream media reporting is reporting that parts of the base occupied by Americans were not hit.

certainly this could just be a coincidence or remarkably lucky break but there's also a chance that this was a deliberate choice made by the IRGC.

This is my understanding right now. The Iranians may have deliberately targeted targeted unpopulated areas of the bases in order to appear to have responded without inviting reprisals. I actually kinda think madman theory worked in this case; the Iranians know that killing a bunch of Americans would lead to the destruction of their military and infrastructure.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Could be intentional, could be luck, could be bad intel, could be pre-emptive measures to mitigate this exact sort of attack given current events.

Not much point in making those guesses with the little info available right now.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I'm kinda wondering if Iran is hoping we are gonna stick our dick into their IADS and they can capture some pilots or whatever; but I don't think we are that dumb. I'm guessing cruise missiles are going to be launched at Iran shortly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LibCrusher posted:

I actually kinda think madman theory worked in this case

Is it really Madman Theory if the man’s not pretending?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Things just got a little more interesting - let's hope this was an actual accident and 100% unrelated to any other events tonight.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1214754644561399808

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Platystemon posted:

Is it really Madman Theory if the man’s not pretending?

Madman Praxis.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shooting Blanks posted:

Things just got a little more interesting - let's hope this was an actual accident and 100% unrelated to any other events tonight.

A video was linked in the AI thread.

It depicts a large fireball descending and striking the ground.

e: I’m not even going to link it. I’ve described where to find it.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 8, 2020

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Platystemon posted:

A video was linked in the AI thread.

It depicts a large fireball descending and striking the ground.

e: I’m not even going to link it. I’ve described where to find it.
Yeah, I won’t speculate as to causes but that airplane definitely had a Big rear end Fire onboard somehow.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Shooting Blanks posted:

After seeing the video it was definitely related

https://twitter.com/alihashem_tv/status/1214756252749877250

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Just looking at Iran's airspace on FlightAware at the moment, they clearly have set up fixed corridors for airline traffic. One heading south to north from Tehran swings right past/above Ishafan, which is where Iran has its F-14s.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Are Iran's F-14s even in flyable/weapons launchable condition anymore? I know they occasionally get rolled out for flyovers and had some Russian/domestic armaments welded on to the pylons for a photo op because the American missiles were so old they were likely unusable some time ago but I don't know of any credible source that indicates they can actually do anything.

Sounds like an oopsie either by Iran or someone else though. Whacking a civ jet departing Tehran doesn't make sense for anybody.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Assuming their radars are still working, they're pretty good awacs stand ins.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Not landing and taking off of carriers takes a tremendous amount of stress off of an airframe over its use

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Stravag posted:

Not landing and taking off of carriers takes a tremendous amount of stress off of an airframe over its use

This issue with the Iranian F-14s isn't airframe stress (which, if I'm correct in what you're referring to, is a real issue for older US airframes) - it's lack of spare parts. Every mechanical part known to man has an MBTF (mean time between failure), and the F-14 is a notoriously complex, fickle, and expensive aircraft to operate. When the Shah was overthrown and they took hostages at the US embassy, their spare part supply was utterly cut off. Some things can be manufactured domestically by Iran, but plenty of things can't - best guess is that they've been cannibalizing some of the planes to keep as many operating as possible as a propaganda piece.

Munitions are a whole separate issue, as was pointed out, those things aren't exactly interchangeable. Are the F-14s in flying condition? Sure, some of them. Are they in any way, shape or form combat-ready? Almost certainly not.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The question was if they can get airborne and release missiles, and I have no doubt that they can.

They’re not going to be winning many dogfights, but that would be true of an F‐14 in perfect condition.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

This issue with the Iranian F-14s isn't airframe stress (which, if I'm correct in what you're referring to, is a real issue for older US airframes) - it's lack of spare parts. Every mechanical part known to man has an MBTF (mean time between failure), and the F-14 is a notoriously complex, fickle, and expensive aircraft to operate. When the Shah was overthrown and they took hostages at the US embassy, their spare part supply was utterly cut off. Some things can be manufactured domestically by Iran, but plenty of things can't - best guess is that they've been cannibalizing some of the planes to keep as many operating as possible as a propaganda piece.

Munitions are a whole separate issue, as was pointed out, those things aren't exactly interchangeable. Are the F-14s in flying condition? Sure, some of them. Are they in any way, shape or form combat-ready? Almost certainly not.

Oh im not saying theyre having a high readiness rate, but with custom fab of spares you could keep them flying because you dont have the frame cracking as long as theyre a priority and they seem to be

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Smiling Jack posted:

Not sure if it was this thread or somewhere else, but the us military trucks, notably the HEMTT, are really impressive.

I'm curious, what makes them impressive?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's a few things.

The most important is that it breaths life into things. A lot of users get really daunted by seeing a 1k+ page thread. It's hard to just jump in and inevitably you find that when they reboot you get a surge of new posters. gently caress, I just recently started actively participating in the GBS OSHA thread after literally years of trying to catch up with the old one. It's easy to say "just skip to the end" but the reality is that people dont.

There's some forums backend stuff that it also helps out with. It's not as necessary as it used to be (once upon a time there was a hard cap that we didn't like to go over) but it's still good practice.

Also forums culture changes over time in subtle and sometimes not subtle ways. Like, a few weeks ago I had a poster PM me a worried message about some hosed up poo poo they saw PCOS Bill post back in like 2014 or something. They were catching up on a thread and didn't realize that they were over five years behind on it and legit thought they needed to make a mod aware of what they thought was really lovely behavior that was uncharacteristic of TFR. So it's generally best to refresh things now and again so that dumb stuff from a decade ago isn't just perpetually hanging out and waiting to cause anther headache, even if it's a short lived "yo that was a long time ago" flavored one.

The first bit is the most important by far though. Keeping threads fresh is a big part of how you make them accessible and welcoming to new posters.
I dunno. If this moved to a new thread I'd probably stop reading/posting.
You say about people having a lot that they can choose to catch up on but isn't that the point?

I understand getting lurkers to post more, but really nothing's stopping them and it's already a very active thread.
It's good having it all in one place. And if it ain't broke..

Joke conspiracy: this is just a lowtax spinal fund ploy to get people to buy archives, isn't it?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 8, 2020

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Sperglord posted:

I'm curious, what makes them impressive?

I saw a HEMTT at Aberdeen Proving Grounds go through a course that would have snapped a regular truck in half, if it even managed to make it that far.

Not sure how that holds up in actual field use, but the demonstration was pretty loving :drat:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Page 1983 coming up, there better be some quality Able Archer/Andropov Deathwatch/RYaN chat to go with it.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

simplefish posted:

I dunno. If this moved to a new thread I'd probably stop reading/posting.

You would genuinely stop reading good content because you have to bookmark a different link?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1214895207021502464?s=21

Iranian missile tech is good enough to pretty accurately target a static base. And if the above assessment is accurate, would not be the first flashy event that was against US stuff and efforts vs US lives.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Page 1982: The NYT from the morning I was born is pretty loving Cold War.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

LRADIKAL posted:

Assuming their radars are still working, they're pretty good awacs stand ins.

They weren't reliable when they were sold to them, it'd be an absolute miracle if they kept them working. That said, it shouldn't be too hard to retrofit a more modern radar in to one. All of the components now would be smaller and lighter weight except maybe the cabling/cooling systems.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 8, 2020

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I have potentially definitely defiantly dumb question:

Like, LO planes aren't invisible, right? They just have very small radar cross-sections that radars filter out because you don't plan on tracking bugs and swallows. But can't you make them not to filter out bugs and swallows that move at certain speed/altitudes? Or am I misunderstanding how radar works in some fundamental way? It has to be that, I'm sure.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sure, but which bug do you shoot at?

E: Well my dumb rear end misread the question, in my defense I'm power-reloading Trump's Twitter to see if we are going to war again so I'm primed for stupidity. This is my shame, I'm not editing it out.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 8, 2020

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

JcDent posted:

I have potentially definitely defiantly dumb question:

Like, LO planes aren't invisible, right? They just have very small radar cross-sections that radars filter out because you don't plan on tracking bugs and swallows. But can't you make them not to filter out bugs and swallows that move at certain speed/altitudes? Or am I misunderstanding how radar works in some fundamental way? It has to be that, I'm sure.

Most radar specs will include a constant false alarm rate or CFAR. The obvious method of meeting this requirement is to attenuate your signal returns until you fall below the threshold. A potential way to do this is described here.

This is why you may not see a plane with a smaller radar return and the way "STC" works (i.e. by attenuating signals at a certain range gate and angle) is why you might see one "pop up" on your radar.
This is why jamming works.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 8, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Joanna Piacenza (@jpiacenza) Tweeted:
Respondents were first given a larger, global map.

23% were able to correctly identify Iran. https://t.co/XhP5OU9s2n https://t.co/HVsWpf9ujt https://twitter.com/jpiacenza/status/1214897511414013954?s=20

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

They weren't reliable when they were sold to them, it'd be an absolute miracle if they kept them working. That said, it shouldn't be too hard to retrofit a more modern radar in to one. All of the components now would be smaller and lighter weight except maybe the cabling/cooling systems.

Well, first of all you aren't going to get a RADAR with as much power or antenna realestate as an AWACS platform into the F-14. Can't exactly fly racetrack patterns behind everything while maintaining coverage with a forward looking RADAR, either.

More importantly you aren't going to fit the crew who makes use of the data the RADAR is collecting into the F-14.

If it's all you've got it's better than nothing, but I wouldn't consider it an AWACS alternative.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CarForumPoster posted:

Most radar specs will include a constant false alarm rate or CFAR. The obvious method of meeting this requirement is to attenuate your signal returns until you fall below the threshold. A potential way to do this is described here.

This is why you may not see a plane with a smaller radar return and the way "STC" works (i.e. by attenuating signals at a certain range gate and angle) is why you might see one "pop up" on your radar.
This is why jamming works.

To follow up on this, how does radar jamming work? I remember in some Clancy book him talking about pilots having to 'burn through' their opponent's jamming. Is that a real thing and how does it work or is it just technobabble?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

To follow up on this, how does radar jamming work? I remember in some Clancy book him talking about pilots having to 'burn through' their opponent's jamming. Is that a real thing and how does it work or is it just technobabble?

This video has good explanations and is thread relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyFqaaqqph0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

There are two basic types of jamming: noise -- which means you just throw a whole lot of EM energy that is hopefully on the same frequencies as the radar you're trying to jam, which makes it harder to tell what are the radar's returns and what are not -- and repeater, which means you detect the radar's signal and then manipulate it to confuse the radar. Modern DRFM jammers can do all kinds of crazy crap both to confuse radars and conceal the fact the radar is being jammed.

Burnthrough is definitely a thing. Noise jamming is only effective as long as the radar can't detect its own returns, which in turn is a function of range and power and signal processing quality. So, at a certain range or power level, you "burn through" the noise, and your radar works again.