Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reL
May 20, 2007

umbrage posted:

Not confused! I just figure the fans assume they're pulling in (mostly) still air, so the idea of one fan blowing straight into another fan seems very YO DAWG to me. Like, if it was a reasonable strategy, they'd make double-depth double fans for double the cooling. So the idea of two fans throttling themselves independently, that close together, just seemed silly.

I have a 2060 super and the fans were tiny and noisy. I just de-shrouded the GPU and used a splitter that connects the GPU fan header to the case fans allowing them to replace the tiny, high rpm fans the GPU came with. Quieter and lower temperatures in my unscientific testing.

Admittedly my arrangement is a bit YO DAWG as I wedged 140mm fans into the bottom of the case and then purchased 140>120mm shroud to force the flow directly into the gpus heatsink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If you’re GPU still has fans on it you want your fans as I take. If you take the fans off and/or go aftermarket cooler you want the fans as exhaust.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Anyone have an experience using the rvz-series cases as pizza box PCs? I really want something I can rest a monitor on

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7x1LI5kOS4

sports posted:

Anyone have an experience using the rvz-series cases as pizza box PCs? I really want something I can rest a monitor on
IIRC the RVZ series will have either the GPU or CPU intake suffer if placed horizontally - whichever is on the bottom suffers more. This might be ameliorated if you stick larger custom case feet on them, however, the ones they come with are rather small. The bigger issue is that their side panels are thin and not made to support the weight of a monitor, and in addition since there are intakes on both sides it is possible for the monitor to cover part of an intake or two.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3328-silverstone-rvz03-mini-itx-case-review-for-gaming (hmmm, looks like they give the horizontal orientation a passing mention but they didn't do any separate testing for it)

https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/silverstone-fortress-ftz01-review/3/ (here's a separate horizontal vs vertical test of the FTZ01 variant, but I don't think they have filters on)

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 30, 2019

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Does standard ram like Vengeance and Ballistix count as low profile for fitting underneath a Black Ridge cooler?

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Lungboy posted:

Does standard ram like Vengeance and Ballistix count as low profile for fitting underneath a Black Ridge cooler?

You need to have vlp ram to fit under the Black Ridge when using a 120mm fan mounted below. It looks like there is 33mm of clearance when you use a 92mm below or a fan on top. So your normal small heatsink ram like lpx or sport lt will fit in the two later configs.

Black Ridge on a z390 phantom with corsair lpx.
https://i.imgur.com/lRPpYUi.jpg

Canna Happy fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 2, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Canna Happy posted:

You need to have vlp ram to fit under the Black Ridge when using a 120mm fan mounted below. It looks like there is 33mm of clearance when you use a 92mm below or a fan on top. So your normal small heatsink ram like lpx or sport lt will fit in the two later configs.

Black Ridge on a z390 phantom with corsair lpx.
https://i.imgur.com/lRPpYUi.jpg

Thanks. It was the 120mm fan mode I was interested in, I'm really struggling to find any vlp ram in the UK.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The next round of Ncase M1 orders open up on Saturday at 9am PST, if anyone is looking for one.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

My ncase has been in transit for 13 days without reaching us customs. So agonizingly slow.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Velka 5 preorders went live at 11pm and within 2 minutes only black was left and with no riser bundle plus no support bracket. Rather disappointing, makes it too pricey once shipping and import tax is added. Back to the drawing board.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Our old friend the half-height GT 1030 makes an appearance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwtlrNg0yTM
I've seen those SFF Dell Optiplexes at businesses everywhere, it's interesting to see the inside of one

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Has anyone got any experience with a Geeek A40? I know the A50 hasn't reviewed well but the 40 is quite a bit cheaper and still fits everything i'd be interested in (SFX psu, dual fan 1660 super or similar etc).

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

I think all the geeek cases are weak because they all use that same x bar to mount the panels. I don't think the cougar qbx or the sg13 can be beat in the budget area.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

The United States posted:

I've seen those SFF Dell Optiplexes at businesses everywhere, it's interesting to see the inside of one

Im running a 990 w/ 1030 GT as my HTPC, trying to bump it to a 9010 or 9020 w/ 1050ti actually for plex. I love these machines, they are a really nice little value if you can pick them up really cheap. The 3rd and 4th gen intel processors had such a long tail that they still do great for any older games and esports titles. 8GB and a cheap 240 SSD and away you go.

The power supply is far more robust than people give them credit for, especially the Optiplexes. Did you know Dell will guarantee that Latitude and Optiplexes can be stacked 10 high? They're pretty robust, it is not profitable for Dell to have exploding PSUs with next day warranty service. In thousands and thousands of service hours I've seen fewer than 10 PSU failures in an Optiplex.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Canna Happy posted:

I think all the geeek cases are weak because they all use that same x bar to mount the panels. I don't think the cougar qbx or the sg13 can be beat in the budget area.

I really like the vertical form factor to reduce the footprint on a desk, otherwise I agree that the QBX, SG13 or Core 500 are great for the cost. If Fractal did a revamped 500 with no optical drive and a front fan mount it'd be perfect.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

charity rereg posted:

Im running a 990 w/ 1030 GT as my HTPC, trying to bump it to a 9010 or 9020 w/ 1050ti actually for plex. I love these machines, they are a really nice little value if you can pick them up really cheap. The 3rd and 4th gen intel processors had such a long tail that they still do great for any older games and esports titles. 8GB and a cheap 240 SSD and away you go.

My daughter has an HP 8300 elite with a 3570 and and a 1050ti with 8gb DDR3 RAM and it works great even with modern games with settings turned down a bit. She just played through code vein on it with only a couple settings turned down and was able to play at 60fps no problem. These little machines are very powerful and I think it cost her maybe $250 for the whole thing (got the machine itself from a university salvage shop that had hundreds of them for $50, and then added the RAM, video card, and SSD)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have a Dell Optiplex with an i7-2700 (non-x) sitting in my basement as a Plex server. It’s been working perfectly for years. I added a 120gb SSD for a boot drive and it just chugs forever. Got it for pennies.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I just upgraded my Dell SFFs and I'll be getting rid of some low profile single slot HD 7750s if anyone is interested.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Shaocaholica posted:

I just upgraded my Dell SFFs and I'll be getting rid of some low profile single slot HD 7750s if anyone is interested.

Someone call what's-their-face! Or did they need something more powerful?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
They're only 1GB so not really for anything too intensive.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

That's such a half assed build for what these things are capable of. Plus the 3010 isn't the best chassis out of all the Dell SFF out there.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

My headless server could use a GPU.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I managed to get myself out of the rabbit hole of small run, expensive cases (thanks in large part to the crappy Velkase experience) and settled on a standard case. So i now have the following on the way:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor (£89.97 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (£104.88 @ More Computers)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£64.75 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (£90.95)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A8 PWM 32.66 CFM 80 mm Fan (£13.50 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: ARCTIC F12 PWM PST 53 CFM 120 mm Fan (£4.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: ARCTIC F12 PWM PST 53 CFM 120 mm Fan (£4.99 @ Amazon UK)
Custom: Sharkoon QB One PC-Gehäuse (Mini-ITX, 2x 2,5/3,5 interne, 2x USB 3.0/2.0) (£39.57 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £413.60

The 1600 is one of the new AF chips. For now I'll be using my old GTX 770, I'm just curious to see how the 5600XTs are. If they aren't great then i'll grab a 1660 super and an M.2 drive at some point and should be set for a while.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

Lungboy posted:

I managed to get myself out of the rabbit hole of small run, expensive cases (thanks in large part to the crappy Velkase experience) and settled on a standard case. So i now have the following on the way:
PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (£104.88 @ More Computers)

I don't know if its a big deal to you since you're using 1000/2000 chip, but people in the amd thread are having troubles with ryzen 3000 chips and that motherboard.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Ncase opening up orders again on Saturday morning. Worth getting? I was on the fence last year in november and last saturday. But with Ryzen chips getting cheaper...

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Canna Happy posted:

I don't know if its a big deal to you since you're using 1000/2000 chip, but people in the amd thread are having troubles with ryzen 3000 chips and that motherboard.

Thanks, yeah I posted about that in the amd thread. If I was going 3600 I'd have got a different board but for the 1600AF I figure it's fine as it won't need an update and should just work. If I ever decide to upgrade I'm hoping they'll have fixed the issue.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
The 1600 AF comes with a Stealth and not a Spire cooler, which has less clearance. Those ram sticks should probably be fine, but I had some with some flares on the heatsinks and accidentally popped the closest heatsink off when putting together my system. Also, having only M.2 drives makes building in sff cases way less of a pain, 2.5" and sata cables are the devil.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Arzachel posted:

The 1600 AF comes with a Stealth and not a Spire cooler, which has less clearance. Those ram sticks should probably be fine, but I had some with some flares on the heatsinks and accidentally popped the closest heatsink off when putting together my system. Also, having only M.2 drives makes building in sff cases way less of a pain, 2.5" and sata cables are the devil.

QB One can take 150mm coolers so that's not a problem. If it's getting too warm i'll stick in an H7 or Fuma or something. I'm reusing current storage to keep costs down but will grab a Rocket M.2 or similar soon. Good info on the ram, I'll take extra care when installing them.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Warmachine posted:

The next round of Ncase M1 orders open up on Saturday at 9am PST, if anyone is looking for one.

Arguably one of the better cases to start in for sff. Not as many space constraints as other smaller cases. I have an older v5 I just built a month ago, and love it. V6 has some pretty nice quality of life improvements over what I did, and I still have no complaints.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Arguably one of the better cases to start in for sff. Not as many space constraints as other smaller cases. I have an older v5 I just built a month ago, and love it. V6 has some pretty nice quality of life improvements over what I did, and I still have no complaints.

That's why I'm going for it. I have a Silverstone SG-05 from yesteryear and... I replaced a heatsink recently and really reminded myself why I hated this case. I spent more time redoing the cable routes and trying to figure out how to get my fat fingers and fatter components back in the box than I spent actually doing the replacement.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Finally a vertical case with some room to work in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h8YdtcPlmY

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Finally a vertical case with some room to work in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h8YdtcPlmY

WTH are all those cables for?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Shaocaholica posted:

WTH are all those cables for?
LED Lighting

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 11, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gross.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

:laffo:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RGB is proof against a benevolent god.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What are some good mATX cases that are small but also good for a high power CPU/GPU system? I know those are contradictory params. SFX PSU OK!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

What are some good mATX cases that are small but also good for a high power CPU/GPU system? I know those are contradictory params. SFX PSU OK!

Sliger cerberus is the smallest mATX case out there that can still handle high power stuff. I've just got a 3700X in mine but I've seen a threadripper shoved in one before.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

SO DEMANDING posted:

Sliger cerberus is the smallest mATX case out there that can still handle high power stuff. I've just got a 3700X in mine but I've seen a threadripper shoved in one before.

Oh its steel, nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are there any trade offs using a SFX-L power supply in a M1?