Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Terminator is only good through the lens of 80s nostalgia when our grasp on provocative modern sci-fi was still, relatively, in its infancy.

This reads like someone saying "movies before 1990 are bad because they hadn't figured out how to make movies yet," a real opinion I've heard someone spout.

BonoMan posted:

Just let T1 and T2 exist, ignore the rest and abandon the franchise.

Yes.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
gently caress yall, im ready for the new wave of "vs" movies starting with 'Predator vs Terminator'

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Timby posted:

Terminator 3 isn't bad, it's just ... very aggressively mediocre, in large part because it's essentially a remake of Terminator 2. But it has good aspects to it. Nick Stahl and Claire Danes are generally very good, Beltrami's score is good, some of the set pieces are excellent. Unfortunately, there are some really, really bad attempts at humor that don't land and Kristanna Loken is a black hole of charisma.

There's also a bit with Arnold hammering the poo poo out of a truck hood, just pounding his fists into it over and over again, and he has the doofiest loving stare as it's happening.

The thing about 3 that really grates on me is how the terminators quip at each other. Why are they making jokes? In T2 I think the only time they ever talk to each other is the phone scene where they're both pretending to be someone else. Beyond stupid that Arnold is making dad jokes to a murder robot that's trying to murder him.

The ending is pretty good though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

feedmyleg posted:

This reads like someone saying "movies before 1990 are bad because they hadn't figured out how to make movies yet," a real opinion I've heard someone spout.

Lol no that's of course dumb. I need to go back and refine that thought because I think I attempted to distill something complex down to something too simple. But I feel from the late 90s to now things ramped up faster in terms of high concept sci-fi than previous decades. Not that it didn't exist of course. More of a turn than "oh they just didn't know how to do it." And maybe I'm being smoke screened by blockbusters. Not sure... it's not a complete thought yet. I feel like there was a sea change from previous decades and that was right at the cusp of it. I'm going to go write a paper on it.

Also it may be completely separate from the thought that time traveling laser fighting robots just aren't cool once we grow up because it's a cheesy infantile concept at its core.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ramped up in what way? An idea being more complex or more advanced in its depiction of technology doesn't make it more interesting, thoughtful, or good.

I went back and watched Demon with a Glass Hand and Soldier recently, and I can assure you that time traveling laser fighting robots are still cool.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 7, 2020

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Demon With A Glass Hand owns.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

feedmyleg posted:

Ramped up in what way? An idea being more complex or more advanced in its depiction of technology doesn't make it more interesting, thoughtful, or good.

I went back and watched Demon with a Glass Hand and Soldier recently, and I can assure you that time traveling laser fighting robots are still cool.

I'm at work so I can't deep dive into it. Hell it'll probably take me more than a weekend to start tracking it down but it's got me interested to try to figure out what I'm feeling. And no it's not just advanced depictions of technology.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Newer sci-fi might just be addressing things that are more relevant to your life

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Parachute posted:

gently caress yall, im ready for the new wave of "vs" movies starting with 'Predator vs Terminator'

No, it's already been established that the only VS is Robocop VS Terminator.

Also, this is, without question, the best thing to come from T3, and it was a deleted scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kayFrIR-Qfw

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

morestuff posted:

Newer sci-fi might just be addressing things that are more relevant to your life

I suspect there is a high level of subjectivity to it yes (I mean obviously of course). However thinking about it during lunch, I don't think it has anything to do with sci-fi at all and was really just a thought about movie subject matter in the 80s and these sort of child-like fantasies that seemed to permeate them. Obviously, since I was born in the 70s, it's probably just a reflection of my own childhood. Anyway without having the time to really sit down with it I'm probably just exacerbating the conversation with these half baked thoughts. I'm kind of looking forward to sitting down and doing some research. Brings me back to my master's thesis days. and holy poo poo was my master's thesis bad

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Post it :kheldragar:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

If I can go find it somewhere I might. We were in the last year of this MFA program. They were shutting it down even though it was performing extremely well (bunch'o'college campus politic poo poo). The last year the teachers all quit! So we floated through on our advisers (made up of faculty from the BFA program and other departments). By the end they just rubber stamped loving anything. "Yeah ok whatever y'all just graduate and leave please." So my thesis meant well.... it was just very low effort because I wasn't challenged in the least.

edit: oh man I'm starting to have those weird uber anxious flashbacks you get when you remember something really embarrassing you did in the past

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 7, 2020

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I always liked the Demag AC 395 Champion crane scene from T3 (with T2 music):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD4AgkHStLU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Parachute posted:

Robocop vs Terminator is a rad comic.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
This thread put me off watching The Terminators so instead i watched American Psycho which I've been putting off for years.

hosed up movie

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

JollyBoyJohn posted:

This thread put me off watching The Terminators so instead i watched American Psycho which I've been putting off for years.

hosed up movie

I’m not that big on that movie but you still made a much better choice than any of T3-6

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I remember being a kid and just wanting a Terminator movie to show the actual war from the flashbacks (flash...forwards?) in the first Terminator. Even as a dumbass kid I knew there was only so much you could do with a time machine and a killer robot. It’s like Aliens in that they keep trying to make a franchise out of an early 1980’s all night coked out screenwriting bender.

At least Star Wars had more than 3 main characters. 6 movies and a TV show about John Connor, his mom, and his robot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Terminator 1 is a near perfect thriller and Terminator 2 is a near perfect action flick.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I still say that T2 is the greatest action movie ever made :colbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

I remember being a kid and just wanting a Terminator movie to show the actual war from the flashbacks (flash...forwards?) in the first Terminator. Even as a dumbass kid I knew there was only so much you could do with a time machine and a killer robot.

And then Salvation, despite being set in that era, decided to entirely sidestep the machine war to gently caress around with Sam Worthington in the desert.

I hate that film.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

hosed up movie

So much better than any Terminator movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I remember being a kid and just wanting a Terminator movie to show the actual war from the flashbacks (flash...forwards?) in the first Terminator. Even as a dumbass kid I knew there was only so much you could do with a time machine and a killer robot. It’s like Aliens in that they keep trying to make a franchise out of an early 1980’s all night coked out screenwriting bender.

At least Star Wars had more than 3 main characters. 6 movies and a TV show about John Connor, his mom, and his robot.

The greatest tragedy is no Terminator movie set in the world of the future shown in T2. With the laser weapons and stuff.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

So much better than any Terminator movie.

I certainly enjoyed it (American Psycho) but the ending didn't really click with me and i was glad when it was over

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The T2 laser-future is unquestionably rad in that film, but it's a product of its time—it's how 1991 imagined the future to be in all its stylistic excess. Had Salvation gone for that look in '09 it would have come across like a cartoon, so I totally understand why McG and the gang went for a more grounded, grey, bleak version of the future even if it wasn't as "cool." His version feels far more like a real-world war-torn environment, the sort that Americans had been seeing on the news in the Middle East since T2 came out. That being said, it almost entirely lacked in style and ended up being incredibly bland.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

The T2 laser-future is unquestionably rad in that film, but it's a product of its time—it's how 1991 imagined the future to be in all its stylistic excess. Had Salvation gone for that look in '09 it would have come across like a cartoon, so I totally understand why McG and the gang went for a more grounded, grey, bleak version of the future even if it wasn't as "cool." His version feels far more like a real-world war-torn environment, the sort that Americans had been seeing on the news in the Middle East since T2 came out. That being said, it almost entirely lacked in style and ended up being incredibly bland.

Also, maybe while the war was inevitable ("It's in your nature to destroy yourselves"), Sarah and John delaying everything caused cool laser guns to not exist yet.

Ever think of that, goons? Huh? Thought so :colbert:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

I hadn't heard McG's name in a few years, so I looked up his filmography and you could say he entirely lacked in style and ended up being incredibly bland too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The real world is boring they should've gone with the correct look.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

The T2 laser-future is unquestionably rad in that film, but it's a product of its time—it's how 1991 imagined the future to be in all its stylistic excess. Had Salvation gone for that look in '09 it would have come across like a cartoon, so I totally understand why McG and the gang went for a more grounded, grey, bleak version of the future even if it wasn't as "cool."

Yeah I would hate for my terminator movie to look cool.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
So, the movie Orca came out in 1977 and was a rip off of Jaws. To show how dangerous the Orca is, the movie opens with an Orca killing a great white shark. Jaws 2 came out in 1978 and features a dead Orca that was killed by the film's great white shark.

It's funny and a little petty.

Are there any other examples of this type of tit for tat in movies?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

SimonCat posted:

So, the movie Orca came out in 1977 and was a rip off of Jaws. To show how dangerous the Orca is, the movie opens with an Orca killing a great white shark. Jaws 2 came out in 1978 and features a dead Orca that was killed by the film's great white shark.

Theres an alien xenomorph skull inside the predators ship in predator 2 i think?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SimonCat posted:

Aaaah, I feel like I had some examples of writers or directors throwing the tiniest bit of shade to people not involved with the movie, but now I can't think of any. I know it's happened, though. Like a character being named such and such, who gets killed or humiliated or something, named after some real person who the director hates.

Kind of like what Michael Crichton did with the small penis thing.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
There is the Siskel and Ebert reference in Godzilla 1998

Roger Ebert posted:

Oh, and then there are New York's Mayor Ebert (gamely played by Michael Lerner) and his adviser, Gene (Lorry Goldman). The mayor of course makes every possible wrong decision (he is against evacuating Manhattan, etc.), and the adviser eventually gives thumbs-down to his reelection campaign. These characters are a reaction by Emmerich and Devlin to negative Siskel and Ebert reviews of their earlier movies ("Stargate," "Independence Day"), but they let us off lightly; I fully expected to be squished like a bug by Godzilla. Now that I've inspired a character in a Godzilla movie, all I really still desire is for several Ingmar Bergman characters to sit in a circle and read my reviews to one another in hushed tones.

Wes Craven and Sam Raimi had a communication going for several films as well.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3417253/long-history-wes-craven-sam-raimis-communication-film/

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

SimonCat posted:

Not sure if it's quite the same -- Twin Peaks was cancelled following season 2 and David Lynch was not happy with how the network had forced him to reveal the killer - he blamed that for the poor S2 ratings. Accordingly, the first shot of his next film, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is a television being destroyed with an axe.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Aaaah, I feel like I had some examples of writers or directors throwing the tiniest bit of shade to people not involved with the movie, but now I can't think of any. I know it's happened, though. Like a character being named such and such, who gets killed or humiliated or something, named after some real person who the director hates.

One has to be mighty careful about using real makes because of defamation and insurance issues.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

No that's ok don't go on to explain this or anything

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BonoMan posted:

No that's ok don't go on to explain this or anything

Sorry! He'll use the name of someone he hates, and then, in the book, go out of his way to describe the characters very small penis. I think then, if the person he's attacking wants to argue that this is defamation, he (the person claiming to be defamed) would then have to prove or admit to the fact that he, IRL, does in fact have a small penis. I might have this wrong, but I'm not googling 'small penis' at work.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sorry! He'll use the name of someone he hates, and then, in the book, go out of his way to describe the characters very small penis. I think then, if the person he's attacking wants to argue that this is defamation, he (the person claiming to be defamed) would then have to prove or admit to the fact that he, IRL, does in fact have a small penis. I might have this wrong, but I'm not googling 'small penis' at work.

I fee like "I'm not googling 'small penis' at work" needs to be a thread title somewhere. Maybe the USPol thread.

As for the Crichton thing that's funny... I thought I read most of his stuff through the early 00s right when he died but none of the small penis stuff is ringing a bell.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've heard that story but i can't think of an example

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's got its own Wikipedia page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
in Gremlins 2 leonard maltin literally gets attacked by gremlins on screen while in the middle of giving a bad review of Gremlins. maybe that kind of counts, because he likely gave the original a bad review when it came out (maybe he was reading from his actual review in the movie?)