Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
PPJ self-permabanned.

This whole thing is one of the stupidest things to ever happen on the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Somebody was pulling the strings on the whole deal but it went sideways. We need to find out who how why and when as we already know the where.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oh, and the villain at the center of all this who PPJ was hunting? It was loving PCOS Bill.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

PPJ self-permabanned.

This whole thing is one of the stupidest things to ever happen on the forums.

he took the cyanide pill

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So, and feel free to explain this to me like I'm 12, but what is the reason for infiltrating some other forum?

edit: I guess I mean what was the end game. Like, he pretended to be an anime watching nazi so that _________?

They were supposedly doxxing forum members (discovering and sharing information about people online, like names and addresses and poo poo), and using the info to threaten and harass people. The good faith explanation is that the mods thought they could stop this happening if they banned the nazi's forum accounts.

This is stupid because A) most of Something Awful is viewable in public and you just need a single $10 account to access any info that is available to forums members, and PPJ shared actual mod-only stuff to get in their good graces and B) there are systems in place to deal with death threats and internet nazis, none of which are helped in any way by a random mod "infiltrating" them. Discord has a zero tolerance policy on nazi poo poo and would happily permaban anyone involved, and a lot of what went on were actual crimes that should have been immediately reported to agencies designed to deal with cyber crimes.

The likely explanation is that since moderating these dead gay forums is a volunteer position, and as such the mod staff is full of people who just want to be internet cops, they thought it would a kick-rear end double-oh seven romp to which nobody could object, and they got in too deep and had no idea how to respond to people being upset that innocuous posters started getting banned because a mod's nazi buddies asked for it.

The bad faith explanation is that there is only ever one reason someone decides being an "ironic" nazi is good & cool.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Imagine if Goonfleet had opsec as bad as this.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

space uncle posted:

1. There’s a chat room on the Internet where people post pro-Hitler thoughts.
2. They also say mean things about Somethingawful posters and plan to harass them.
3. The somethingawful moderator team sent a moderator to this chat room to gain information from the chat. This was done to prevent Somethingawful posters from being harassed and to identify the chat room regulars and ban them from Somethingawful.
4. This moderator entered the chat room using the same screen name as his Somethingawful name and started posting Pro Hitler stuff to fit in.
5. Something awful posters accuse the moderator of being Pro Hitler.
6. The entire scheme is revealed by the moderator team to prove that he is in fact only pretending to be Pro Hitler

Isn't this the plot to a Kurt Vonnegut novel?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

oldpainless posted:

Mods and admins have what seem to be a disturbingly high pattern of spectacular flaming exits from these forums

Dameius posted:

The exact kind of person who wants to do it is the last person you'd want to do it.

I prefer to think that the mod interface contains a cthulhuesqe curse that slowly drives men mad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Afriscipio posted:

Modder Shite?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Afriscipio posted:

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

I prefer to think that the mod interface contains a cthulhuesqe curse that slowly drives men mad.

radium coded it in a way that should not be and the very act of looking at it is what breaks your sanity

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jedit posted:

Modder Shite?

Slaughterhouse :five:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
A funny forums quote that also doubles as my reaction to the past 30 days of forums drama

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Jesus even CSPAM's epic meltdown drama and sick burns related to it is buried in a hundred pages of bullshit that is impenetrable to anyone who hasn't spent years making hundreds of posts a day there and causes pages of derails from said posters when posted elsewhere. It really is the new FYAD now only instead of ironically posting nazi jokes it's sincerely accusing everyone you dislike of being a nazi.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
users who joined after 2007 dont care about drama, all they want is OSHA, eat hot grape and lie.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

cock hero flux posted:

the admins have now disavowed all knowledge of PPJ and permabanned him

The nazi, the not-nazi pretending to be a nazi or the nazi pretending to be a not-nazi pretending to be a nazi?

And who's on first? Goebbels?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

cock hero flux posted:

the admins have now disavowed all knowledge of PPJ and permabanned him

:911:

godspeed hero

Won't be the last time this happens

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Shut up Meg posted:

The nazi, the not-nazi pretending to be a nazi or the nazi pretending to be a not-nazi pretending to be a nazi?

And who's on first? Goebbels?

And hitlers at bat with one ball and three reichs

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

oldpainless posted:

And hitlers at bat with one ball and three reichs

And the band played on!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Why people take this site so seriously, I do not and will never know.

Signed,
Person who has been on this site for literally over a decade

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

A terrorist handed PPJ a gun and said "we need you to prove..." and PPJ emptied the clip into a hostage before he could even finish the question.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Since people have been asking, saying, and implying otherwise, I'd like to put out there that whether you believe me or not the overwhelming majority of the modmin team had no idea this incredibly loving stupid deep cover poo poo was going on.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Why people take this site so seriously, I do not and will never know.

Signed,
Person who has been on this site for literally over a decade

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Since people have been asking, saying, and implying otherwise, I'd like to put out there that whether you believe me or not the overwhelming majority of the modmin team had no idea this incredibly loving stupid deep cover poo poo was going on.

mods knew

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Well, that's what you are saying, but how do we know you are really a bird and not Herman Goering in a fursuit?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This is, without hyperbole, some real blacks ops level type poo poo and I don’t trust any of you, myself included and you’d be wise to not trust me in return.

But if I tell you not to trust me and you can’t trust me then doesn’t that mean you should trust me? But then THAT means you have to trust me when I say you can’t trust me.

And now the game begins.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

oldpainless posted:

This is, without hyperbole, some real blacks ops level type poo poo and I don’t trust any of you, myself included and you’d be wise to not trust me in return.

But if I tell you not to trust me and you can’t trust me then doesn’t that mean you should trust me? But then THAT means you have to trust me when I say you can’t trust me.

And now the game begins.

Stellar avatar/post combo in my opinion :buddy:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shut up Meg posted:

Well, that's what you are saying, but how do we know you are really a bird and not Herman Goering in a fursuit?

Feathersuit, surely?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So the ones that knew are going to get booted too right?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Shut up Meg posted:

You just gotta trust me. I have some real good intel on the local eagles, you just wait.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Aphrodite posted:

So the ones that knew are going to get booted too right?

So far as I know the only two people that knew are the ones who already said as much, and ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I get the strong impression they both genuinely thought this was on the up-and-up.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

oldpainless posted:

And now the game begins.

More like OldFeignless

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
as far as I'm concerned the only bright spot in all this is this post

JuulPodSaveAmerica posted:

It's September 11th, 2012, I'm watching Benghazi take out a D&D mod

It's January 8th, 2020, I'm watching Benghazi take out a D&D mod

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

DandyLion posted:

More like OldFeignless

I always get excited when I read a somewhat-recent OldPainless post, and I always have my hopes dashed when someone inevitably beats me to the punch.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
People say this forum is dead but we're still here, still blowing our own loving feet off

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I always get excited when I read a somewhat-recent OldPainless post, and I always have my hopes dashed when someone inevitably beats me to the punch.

More like Mr. Jokeless Guy.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HolePisser1982 posted:

A new day, and a new lol at the moderator antifa ops team ziplining at truly dangerous speeds past various pepe honkler guys and emptying all of their bullets into my beloved anime tractor instead

Posting this a merely a funny quote.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Thank you for your contribution, welcome to PYF. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Who the hell is PPJ?