Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

IDONTPOST posted:

doesnt punk work for them again too? im lost

No he works for Fox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

IDONTPOST posted:

He works for Fox which is... well, yeah.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

whats the difference lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

IDONTPOST posted:

whats the difference lol

Fox has the teeniest, tiniest, fraction of a sliver of begruding mainstream.... well, respect is the wrong word, but acknowledgement of their influence I guess?

WWE is just a joke being kept afloat by networks so desperately flailing about for something to keep their overall numbers up that they forked over a billion each for two shows demonstrating far above average viewership declines.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

IDONTPOST posted:

People will be pedantic and say he works for Fox not WWE, but its exclusively on a WWE show so the difference is just the name on his paychecks.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

njsykora posted:

People will be pedantic and say he works for Fox not WWE, but its exclusively on a WWE show so the difference is just the name on his paychecks.

This.

He came crawling back to the company that fired him on his wedding day lmao. PURNK!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Punk was only a kayfabe rebel. He's a shoot bootlicker.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Punk hating Miz for headlining a wrestlemania whilst he never has will always be funny.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I wasn't watching when CM Punk was a thing, so my whole impression of him is a guy that really really wants me to think he's cool and smart.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I wasn't watching when CM Punk was a thing, so my whole impression of him is a guy that really really wants me to think he's cool and smart.

Pretty much, yeah.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

SunshineDanceParty posted:

He was The Miz with indie cred. Middling wrestler that could cut shoot promos.

Actually maybe more like Shane Douglas.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
dont let anybody fool you. punk was beloved here for ages right up until the colt cabana lawsuit. its all been downhill from there, but still.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

3 time Rowdy Ringsports Pro-Wrestling Champion of the Year!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

nice to see that Nakamura is a fan of Jack Handey

https://twitter.com/jack__handey/status/248983399912595459

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TheKingslayer posted:

He was The Miz with indie cred. Middling wrestler that could cut shoot promos.

Actually maybe more like Shane Douglas.

This is a bad take. CM Punk could cut all sorts of promos. He was a great promo from at least 2002. Especially as a holier-than-thou smug straight edge heel.

As for The Miz comparisons. Where are the great Miz singles matches? Where are the Miz matches that stand next to Punk Cena from Money In The Bank 2011 or Punk Joe II or Punk Lesnar from Summerslam 2013 or Punk Cabana from The Final Chapter?

CM Punk was never the best in-ring worker but let's not kid on that he was mediocre. He wasn't Danielson, he couldn't drag a broomstick to a *** match, but with the right opponent he could more than hold his on. Which is more than you can say for The Miz.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/saku155cm/status/1214889010100756480?s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Should get a passport anyway.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

This is a bad take. CM Punk could cut all sorts of promos. He was a great promo from at least 2002. Especially as a holier-than-thou smug straight edge heel.

As for The Miz comparisons. Where are the great Miz singles matches? Where are the Miz matches that stand next to Punk Cena from Money In The Bank 2011 or Punk Joe II or Punk Lesnar from Summerslam 2013 or Punk Cabana from The Final Chapter?

CM Punk was never the best in-ring worker but let's not kid on that he was mediocre. He wasn't Danielson, he couldn't drag a broomstick to a *** match, but with the right opponent he could more than hold his on. Which is more than you can say for The Miz.

He sure had matches with great talent. Yep.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Miz had a 4 and a half star match with Dolph Ziggler a few years ago.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Punk carried Taker to the last mania match of his that was even watchable, much less good. All the revisionist history in the world doesn't erase the fact that he was an unathletic but very good wrestler and great promo before he moved on to being cringe incarnate post wrestling.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Ivar_WWE/status/1214914467433209856?s=20

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

The337th posted:

Punk carried Taker to the last mania match of his that was even watchable, much less good. All the revisionist history in the world doesn't erase the fact that he was an unathletic but very good wrestler and great promo before he moved on to being cringe incarnate post wrestling.

lesnar taker: 5 hiac part 2 was so much better

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Eh I’d rather watch punk taker than the biker chain match from no mercy 2003

E: this made more sense before that jerk edited their post

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The337th posted:

All the revisionist history in the world doesn't erase the fact that he was an unathletic but very good wrestler and great promo before he moved on to being cringe incarnate post wrestling.

Absolutely, he was a real star and incredibly entertaining, and very well liked until his friendship with Colt blew up in the worst way possible following that bullshit lawsuit by WWEDoc Amman (but really WWE).

The Punk/Brock match is probably the best match of Brock's entire return run in WWE (pre-exile it is probably either Brock/Eddie, Brock/Rock or, hilariously, Brock/Big Show) and his feud with Jeff Hardy was a thing of magic.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Jerusalem posted:

Absolutely, he was a real star and incredibly entertaining, and very well liked until his friendship with Colt blew up in the worst way possible following that bullshit lawsuit by WWEDoc Amman (but really WWE).

The Punk/Brock match is probably the best match of Brock's entire return run in WWE (pre-exile it is probably either Brock/Eddie, Brock/Rock or, hilariously, Brock/Big Show) and his feud with Jeff Hardy was a thing of magic.

The original Brock/Taker HiaC is my fave of his first run

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

He sure had matches with great talent. Yep.

So The Miz just hasn't been in ring with great talent then? Because I'm not seeing his ***** matches. Guess The Miz never got to work with Bryan Danielson or John Cena.

It's okay, you can separate CM Punk being a selfish shitebag with him being a good wrestler. Doesn't say anything about you.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Punk is a douchebag, sloppy, and happens to be overrated. Pointing to star ratings doesn't change my opinion.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

The original Brock/Taker HiaC is my fave of his first run

Oh yeah I forgot about that, I loved that match. It was also, from memory, one of the few post-Foley HiaCs that didn't rely on one big, giant dangerous spot but just used the cage in the proper way as a deadly omnipresent environment.

Not the same match, but I think it was an Armageddon where postmatch Brock and Taker keep brawling and Taker ends up just hurling Brock through some kind of obstacle to end the show?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Punk was a somewhat sloppy in ring guy but was able to make it work through force of personality and a good sense of match structure. He wouldn't hit things super crisply but, at least for me, made the emotional build of the match overcome that. Comparing him to The Miz is just silly.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Punk's another case of dudes that almost immediately set fire to their legacy post wrestling. If he'd stayed true to Hornswoggle and Cabana, none of this would be happening to him.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I liked Punk back in the day and it helped he came in at a time that interrupted the infinite Cena v Orton and HHH poo poo though my admiration of his ringwork is less now that I've seen NJPW stuff since then and shitloads of NXT stuff over the last few years has shown me what crazy athleticism and technical wrestling looks like. Punk just seemed like he was more prolific with his skillset due to being put on a roster of some of the most boring motherfuckers alive at the time. He was absolutely in the right place at the right time to stand out.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DLC Inc posted:

I liked Punk back in the day and it helped he came in at a time that interrupted the infinite Cena v Orton and HHH poo poo though my admiration of his ringwork is less now that I've seen NJPW stuff since then and shitloads of NXT stuff over the last few years has shown me what crazy athleticism and technical wrestling looks like. Punk just seemed like he was more prolific with his skillset due to being put on a roster of some of the most boring motherfuckers alive at the time. He was absolutely in the right place at the right time to stand out.

and it still makes me laugh that it took most of the top of the card getting injured for WWE to give Punk a chance. And even then they went of their way to cut his reigns off at the knees.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Punk repeatedly getting on the mic during that one Royal Rumble was my favorite wrestling moment of all time.

He was one of the only reasons I came back to follow wrestling before falling off again. I'm a sucker for Jericho-like self-aware bits that wink at the audience while remaining true to the character, and he was really good at that. Dude seems like a medium-grade rear end in a top hat from an industry full of much worse.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Cena was correct when he called Punk the biggest hypocrite of them all.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

One day we're gonna wake up to the news that Cena finally snapped and mowed down half of hollywood in a GTA-like succession of muscle cars.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

coconono posted:

and it still makes me laugh that it took most of the top of the card getting injured for WWE to give Punk a chance. And even then they went of their way to cut his reigns off at the knees.

There’s a joke in here about this involving Kevin Nash

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Lamuella posted:

Miz had a 4 and a half star match with Dolph Ziggler a few years ago.

I don't believe this, and no I won't watch it because it involves Dolph Ziggler.

I think Miz is good on the mic because he's one of the few who actually acknowledge the crowd response instead of the 99% of cast who just stands around waiting for it to die down to say their dumb script, or they just keep going like there isn't an audience at all

But as a wrestler, no thanks but I do love watching him catch high flyers

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Punk might be a huge dickhead IRL, but the revisionist history that he wasn't over, or beloved by PSP when he was on top is ridiculous.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
https://twitter.com/secretwrestlin1/status/1214682392373448707

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Can't believe the French invented the spotfest.