Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

press the 2 key

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I press the two key even before the battle starts.

Sue me.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Vando posted:

it was fun back in the day beating up on clans with ~high winrate~ with our cobbled together collection of goons with winrates all over the board I have to admit

That was the power of Chair. In all of the clans I've been in, he was the best caller I ever experienced.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Mesadoram posted:

That was the power of Chair. In all of the clans I've been in, he was the best caller I ever experienced.

What are some calls that are common to make that would help keep good coms in discord?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Katamari Democracy posted:

What are some calls that are common to make that would help keep good coms in discord?

"Shoot the tank over there"

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I've been chat free since the option came out. Team chat was worse than all chat. All chat usually made me laugh or was easily ignored. Team chat was full of angry people who may or may not know wtf they are talking about. I do wish I could turn it on late game to try to coordinate with my remaining team. Maybe if they limited team chat to just alive players, it would be better.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
all chat atleast let you abuse people not on your own team :)

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
enemychat only would be better than teamchat only

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BadLlama posted:

also do i not have invite privileges? is inviting someone to the clan still a sadistic ritual of nonsense?

I checked and I had you as a "combat officer" for whatever reason which might not have recruitment permissions (i.e. it may just have CW-related permissions or something.) The roles are mostly irrelevant and I can't be bothered to confirm any of the actual permissions so I made you a recruitment officer which should take care of it.

Mesadoram posted:

How ya liking the Polish tree?

I really liked the tier 7, the first HT in the line; it was very reminiscent of the T29 overall just without the extreme mantlet. The tier 8 is like a poor man's IS3, and then I think the 9-10 are quite good.

ROFLburger posted:

man the emil 1 owns bones

Yeah, except when you get shot anywhere except the turret front! Have fun in those city maps!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

It took you 4 years?

I started this game in Nov. Granted, I'm 1000 battles deep already.

Slaapaav posted:

i started 5 years ago. i dont have a tier 9 yet. its not a race to the top for me

On this sub-thread, if you knew what you were doing and were really tryharding to get to a tier 10, you could do it in about this many battles (with a premium account.)

BadLlama posted:

Also, the crew skill re-work in 2020 may be closer than we think?

Rather than giving 0 Skill brothers in arms, this package now just gives you extra XP to unlock stuff, I do not recall them ever doing it like this before and this checks out with the little information I have seen regarding the crew xp conversion into the new system.

This looks weird, but this actually probably is how they've done all the "crew members with ready-to-train perks" thing all along, i.e. the crew members just come with the raw XP but they traditionally just say "one/two/whatever free crew skills" rather than stating the specific XP (which is overly specific and especially confusing to new players.) This is separate from getting crew with "regular" or "0-skill" perks; they've offered crew members both ways. That being said, I don't think any of the above has anything to do with the upcoming crew rework.

EdEddnEddy posted:

I have found that I can almost always do the best in T8+ games by sitting at the cap (or backing up a bit if it's one of those lovely easy to get spotted 10 seconds in caps) and waiting a minute or two to see how the battle is starting to play out.

As a full HP tank, I have had some luck in turning the tide of a battle more than once by joining late (usually do to something stupid like a loading bug that sticks at the end of the loading screen, but never drops you ingame so you have to relog).

I think I did something along the same lines as this years ago before my big break. Every battle start and wait 30 seconds at least before you jump into the front line.

I've noticed this too; I mean, it's not that you shouldn't try to get into an important position ASAP if possible, but simply waiting seems to be advantageous more often than not.

He was actually referring to Chair being active in calling battles in Clan Wars, back when that was actually a thing. Clans would get full teams of 15 players each from their 100-man rosters, pick [mostly] tier 10 tanks* and fight in pitched battles in provinces on the "global map." Those clans controlling territory would get gold payouts. "Calling" the battle would involve requesting the desired tanks, devising the tactics for the battle(s), then calling targets and giving orders during battle. I barely did this and am by no means an expert, and this was several years ago (where I was actually originally in a famous pubbie clan as I hadn't started to play with goons yet.)

The global map actually still exists, but I have no idea how long it's been frozen, and we originally played on European territories.

*I say "mostly" tier 10s because this was back when TDs and MTs were 9 max and were occasionally still picked (e.g. T95, T-54, M46,) SPGs were tier 8 max, and LTs were tier 5 max (where the old T-50-2 was a not-uncommon sight!)

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Slaapaav posted:

i started 5 years ago. i dont have a tier 9 yet. its not a race to the top for me
If only pubbies had this sort of steady approach! But no, they have to rush up the tiers and poo poo up the matchmaker. I've loving lost count of the number of times I've found myself in a 4/5/6 battle with the 4 Tier X tanks all rushing off to explode in the middle of bumfuck nowhere ASAP while my lovely Tier VIII has to spend three minutes uselessly punching up at nigh-invulnerable targets before I just quit/get loving destroyed.

WoT: Oh you are playing in a platoon? Here, your team enjoys eating crayons and your opponents are unicums. Good luck!
It's a magical experience and I wholly endorse it as a form of torture.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Atomizer posted:

He was actually referring to Chair being active in calling battles in Clan Wars, back when that was actually a thing. Clans would get full teams of 15 players each from their 100-man rosters, pick [mostly] tier 10 tanks* and fight in pitched battles in provinces on the "global map." Those clans controlling territory would get gold payouts. "Calling" the battle would involve requesting the desired tanks, devising the tactics for the battle(s), then calling targets and giving orders during battle. I barely did this and am by no means an expert, and this was several years ago (where I was actually originally in a famous pubbie clan as I hadn't started to play with goons yet.)

The global map actually still exists, but I have no idea how long it's been frozen, and we originally played on European territories.

*I say "mostly" tier 10s because this was back when TDs and MTs were 9 max and were occasionally still picked (e.g. T95, T-54, M46,) SPGs were tier 8 max, and LTs were tier 5 max (where the old T-50-2 was a not-uncommon sight!)

Yup exactly. Chairinbasket wasn't just a caller, he micromanaged pretty much everyone in the battle. It's no wonder he got burned out, doing that for 3 clans pretty much every night...

So as for a little history, back when the Goons actually played, the CW map was Europe. We controlled all of France (our home as some of us called it) Northern Italy, Greece (SDP) and had allies in Britain (PBKAC) and Spain. Needless to say, Goons being Goons we pissed off a lot of the other clans (for fun Chair would pick up all our chips and we would have a manifest destiny across Africa, slaughtering the poo poo clans).

Our end came when we got attacked by 6 clans at once (RS and their fuckbois) and we were whooping their rear end. Then for some reason -G- got tired of us existing and then proceeded to slaughter us. Most of us split off into different clans after that and never truly united again. SDP got lost, NDP is for us old timers to retire in, Mardet She Wrote I do believe was lost as well.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 8, 2020

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i think i was in some 2pac goon clan at some point

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
2PAC was on EU and still exists as a holding cell for the half dozen of us left logging in

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I called a T8 CW game where I drove all our heavies into bush wanking TDs to die gloriously, i also had a problem with tking in t6 skirmishes

im a good team player

but mostly clan wars from the limited games i've played, is weird and super strange compared with how random battles go

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Those 6 months of primordial clan wars (Jun 2011 - Dec 2011) is probably my most cherished gaming memory. I wasn't great on the battlefield, but I did my part as a warrior poet on the official forums. Occasionally we'd lose a match, but never a posting war.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mesadoram posted:

Yup exactly. Chairinbasket wasn't just a caller, he micromanaged pretty much everyone in the battle. It's no wonder he got burned out, doing that for 3 clans pretty much every night...

So as for a little history, back when the Goons actually played, the CW map was Europe. We controlled all of France (our home as some of us called it) Northern Italy, Greece (SDP) and had allies in Britain (PBKAC) and Spain. Needless to say, Goons being Goons we pissed off a lot of the other clans (for fun Chair would pick up all our chips and we would have a manifest destiny across Africa, slaughtering the poo poo clans).

Our end came when we got attacked by 6 clans at once (RS and their fuckbois) and we were whooping their rear end. Then for some reason -G- got tired of us existing and then proceeded to slaughter us. Most of us split off into different clans after that and never truly united again. SDP got lost, NDP is for us old timers to retire in, Mardet She Wrote I do believe was lost as well.

Here's something I wrote up about that particular period of time from the SGLE leadership perspective: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index...58#entry6992158

TL;DR: NDP died because at the end there were barely two teams' worth of actives and a good amount of those were shared accounts.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
That was the main problem with it as an enduring PvP game: you needed more commitment than old skool WoW even. Like if you didn't have 30+ poopsockers ready to go at the drop of a hat it was impossible to maintain even a toehold on the world map.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Vando posted:

That was the main problem with it as an enduring PvP game: you needed more commitment than old skool WoW even. Like if you didn't have 30+ poopsockers ready to go at the drop of a hat it was impossible to maintain even a toehold on the world map.

It was *horrrrrrrible* at the leadership level. For the 8pm turn, SGLE leadership had to be logged in at ~6:30pm every single night to start arranging chip movements and coordinate with allies for offsets.

Adding to that, SGLE did manual attendance recording so we could minimize the number of people who were trying to just stay logged in to get counted, so that was just ~another thing~ that had to be done nightly. NDP did automatic attendance recording, which meant that there were a lot of people who would just stay logged into comms and got auto-paid.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Can you still send one guy with a T1 tank into a map defense to stall 12+ players from the opposing clan?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It was *horrrrrrrible* at the leadership level. For the 8pm turn, SGLE leadership had to be logged in at ~6:30pm every single night to start arranging chip movements and coordinate with allies for offsets.

Adding to that, SGLE did manual attendance recording so we could minimize the number of people who were trying to just stay logged in to get counted, so that was just ~another thing~ that had to be done nightly. NDP did automatic attendance recording, which meant that there were a lot of people who would just stay logged into comms and got auto-paid.

Not sure how I forgot about SGLE but yeah, the few of us who were fighting in the end were not enough. Everyone was just so defeated and with Chair dying we lost our diplomat and caller.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah. EVE-tier organisational requirements for nowhere near as much reward, and that's saying something. Plus you could lose it all in days and make it literally all for nothing, amazing game design!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, and fights didn't *stop* at the 8pm turn. There were instances where we were still fighting battles at 11:30pm+ because of triples and quads, especially on landing zones.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I can't remember exactly how it used to work, were turns every day or a few days per week? In hindsight it's no wonder everyone burned out so horribly.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, and fights didn't *stop* at the 8pm turn. There were instances where we were still fighting battles at 11:30pm+ because of triples and quads, especially on landing zones.

Yeah it was brutal. I totally forgot about Anderson and the post Chair NDP. I have a poo poo memory sadly :smith:. But for those of us in the know, we knew SGLE didn't abandon us. Just classic Goon bullshit.

I remember that I was snatched up by CRABS. And we all know how that went...

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
This sounds like:

1) a crazy adventure
2) a horrible time-consuming mess
3) a second job

Pick 2/3

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Cannon_Fodder posted:

This sounds like:

1) a crazy adventure
2) a horrible time-consuming mess
3) a second job

Pick 2/3

All 3.

I had to quit because I met my girlfriend and... Well... You know. Having a life kind of takes priority to a video game.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 8, 2020

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
There are times in your life you're willing to go to great lengths to kick poo poo out of incredibly salty pubs, sadly those are almost always much younger times.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I always thought, and continue to think, that the ultimate problem with Clan Wars was the 100 person membership limit for clans. It was supposed to stop EVE style mega-clans from dominating everything and allow little clans to have a shot, but I feel like all it did was create a situation where big clans had to be 3 or 4 little mini-clans that were just a huge pain in the rear end to coordinate and manage. Running poo poo was way, way too much like a loving job to be any fun at all.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
There was also the chip spam problem which goes with that. If a clan wins a landing zone, they can freely take multiple zones in a single day by chip spamming. Just set you hq on the landing zone. Then proceed to throw a bunch of stacks at the neighboring territories. The other clan will need to fight all of it at the same time. Assuming they even had chips there. It was terrible as defense.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Yeah I think a lot of games make that mistake because they forget people can just go GOON-A GOON-B GOON-C and make a ton of clans

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I really wish they took a second look at the global map and made it more accessible to the players. Like put in an application for the team to plan ahead against another team in varying sizes (7-15) all the same Tiers from 8 to 10 or whatever.

But no instead this is wargaming and you need to play on their schedule...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Are tournaments anything worth trying as a small group/clan? I know I failed big time in a 1v1 since I didn't have any of the meta vehicles yet, but I could see 3v3 or bigger matches being kinda fun with literally no work involved other than showing up in the best tank you got at whatever tier it calls for.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I finally got it.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Nice work dude, may your wr in your IS7 be blessed and superior to my unfortunate experience in it

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Mesadoram posted:

I remember that I was snatched up by CRABS. And we all know how that went...

you're welcome

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I decided I wanted to have a T95, so I started out with the Jackson a week ago. By using all those blueprint fragments I had sitting around and with all the x5 missions with this holiday event I already have the T95 with the midtier gun.

Crazy.

BTW it's really sad this is more of a heavy than my e5.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

In case you haven't heard, WG is extending the bonuses to 1/28, but 1/14 is the last day to buy boxes.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

So what tank line should I get in order to be the biggest city bully I can be? I've got an O-Ho, but I'm looking for alternatives.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Hellsau posted:

you're welcome

Hey dude, it got me into OTTER so I am happy with that. We also had some fun in our short time there.

But man oh man Macdiesel was one of the biggest loving tools I ever i had to listen to. If that dude shined his dick any harder it could reflect sunlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

All I know is I had a ton of blueprint fragments and made the 60TP free to research... So yea I am going up that line hard since once I unlock the T9 (which I had enough left to drop that to 50% exp to unlock as well) the T10 is also unlocked. :)

I have enough to do the same to maybe one other line currently so going to wait and see what T10 I want without grinding hard for it.