Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I think I had an Usborne cartooning book as a kid? Don't remember the title, unfort, and I'm phone-posting, but it might be worth a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Sharpest Crayon posted:

If it makes you feel any better 'bout boomers, I'm doing a pet portrait commission. The pet's name is a slur. Kicker: doing it half-price, because I'd promised to before I knew what it was gonna be. :negative:

You took a commission from H.P. Lovecraft?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I guessed gypsy

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
It's a Finnish slur for swedes, you can stop guessing, thanks.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

lofi posted:

slurname

Congrats for taking something awful and making something beautiful out of it.

I have a long-term client right now who is flirting with the idea of making science courses for home-school Christian kids, which makes me sad because if they actually do that I would need to drop them as a client since there's no way I'm going to put my name and effort into something that says Adam and Eve used to eat coconuts with T-rex or whatever.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Sharpest Crayon posted:

it's wrong to have a "favourite" kind of racism, but i do, and it's inter-scandinavian

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
...i just remembered i have the animator's survival kit in my bookshelf, i should probably start there

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

nankeen posted:

...i just remembered i have the animator's survival kit in my bookshelf, i should probably start there

That would help! It's a good resource.

Look up "Fun With A Pencil" by Andrew Loomis. He's one of the masters of figure drawings, and Fun With A Pencil is about simplifying the same processes to make more stylized creations. If you don't want to buy a physical copy, you could probably find a PDF version floating around Google.

I'd also look into getting a copy of Disney: Illusion of Life from your library. It has a whole section of how Disney artists do character design. Every Pixar movie and Laika Studios movie has a concept art book, too, so
if any of those art styles appeal to you, check them out.

I'd also recommend getting on YouTube and just googling "character design". Scroll through thumbnails until you see a style you like, then watch their video on their process. If there are specific artists whose style you like, try and find a video of them doing character sketches. I love watching Scott C., who has a very playful style. Doug TenNapel has some really regressive problematic/bigoted views based on his devout Christianity, but he's really good at designing memorable characters in his distinct style. Just keep your eyes out for artist whose style reflects something you like and google the hell out of their name, trying to find any breakdowns of their processes.

There's also Character Design References with a cool visual library.

And also Traditional Animation has tons of model sheets from well-known character designs, so you can get an idea of their formation.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

nankeen posted:

There's nothing in there on how to get a man, unfortunately.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

mutata posted:

There's nothing in there on how to get a man, unfortunately.
i outsource my man-getting now, it's the only real benefit i ever got from my graphic design degree

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

As a swede I'm intrigued!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Oh for gently caress's sake. This is the hole I dug for myself, this is my life now. I am the slur-invoker.

If you don't know it, I'm not telling, gods.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Well now we're just going to have to go through them all one by one... ;)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm p sure it bristles with k's and l's like a vaguely racist dreadnaught

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I am the slur-invoker.

Definitely my least favorite DnD class.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
Ey, I'm not dead. I'm in college now which means less time on here but also less time on my creative endeavors. I've hella busy these past few weeks since I just got back. Hopefully my gonna be a new screen protector for my ipad soon (did I mention I just brought an ipad some months ago, been pretty great).

So how are y'all doing today?

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Fruity20 posted:

Ey, I'm not dead. I'm in college now which means less time on here but also less time on my creative endeavors. I've hella busy these past few weeks since I just got back. Hopefully my gonna be a new screen protector for my ipad soon (did I mention I just brought an ipad some months ago, been pretty great).

So how are y'all doing today?
i'm dead

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I'm awake. Wicked insomnia atm, but it means I'm getting a lot of reading done at least.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
hazy from timeshifting, feeling like I'm in a state of quantum superimposition where I have simultaneously reached acceptance that the incredibly stupid events of Spy Day happened but am still stunned thinking about it, considering whether or not I should try to pull another fast one on ArtDome

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Fish Noise posted:

hazy from timeshifting, feeling like I'm in a state of quantum superimposition where I have simultaneously reached acceptance that the incredibly stupid events of Spy Day happened but am still stunned thinking about it, considering whether or not I should try to pull another fast one on ArtDome

What is Spy Day?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
it was when "Something Awful" briefly peeled off to reveal "Mister Jones' Nazi Slide".

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

thinking of leaving the forum?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

it was when "Something Awful" briefly peeled off to reveal "Mister Jones' Nazi Slide".

Since I pretty much only post in CC and most of the screenshots in the OP have been deleted from Imgur, could someone please tell me what exactly the linked post means?

Sorry for being dense.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
Doing commission today which hopefully could be put into buying a few copics (not too many, gonna buy a few copics each year until I get around to maybe 100)

I'm trying to get more use to traditional art after taking a break from it for years.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

gmc9987 posted:

Since I pretty much only post in CC and most of the screenshots in the OP have been deleted from Imgur, could someone please tell me what exactly the linked post means?

Sorry for being dense.

A d&d mod turned out to have been posting on a v unsavory discord and feeding information about their unsavory plans to a mod and an admin while also saying unsavory things on the discord himself as deep cover. It was discovered, he explained himself, no-one was very convinced, so he permabanned himself.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It was vintage goonmod stupidity and will be listed in sagas for years to come lol

Qcs is open again so have a scroll through there if you want to see how people have been reacting.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ain't no such thing as an Ironic Nazi, no siree.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Fruity20 posted:

Doing commission today which hopefully could be put into buying a few copics (not too many, gonna buy a few copics each year until I get around to maybe 100)

I'm trying to get more use to traditional art after taking a break from it for years.

What is it with Copics in particular that makes them like artist crack? Like, they're pretty good, but why is it always Copics when someone has a giant collection of something?

I can never get them to work right for more than 20 seconds straight or I'd probably be on that trip myself. ;)

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Artists magpie brain. Bring shiny colour home to nest. Get full set to attract a mate.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
At least they had the decency to let you refill them and replace the nibs.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw3wwEGofAg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekvR-aB5css

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

lofi posted:

What is it with Copics in particular that makes them like artist crack? Like, they're pretty good, but why is it always Copics when someone has a giant collection of something?

I can never get them to work right for more than 20 seconds straight or I'd probably be on that trip myself. ;)

Glorious Nippon ink

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They're just fuckin good. Pigment's good, the color range is good. The option to refill them and replace damaged nibs yourself makes them cheaper in the long run because you don't have to buy a whole new marker. The ink refill costs slightly more than the whole marker does, but it's good for several refills. Copic even sells empty markers so you can mix your own colors and fill them with that.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Star Man posted:

cheaper in the long run

:stare:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

What I mean is you don't have to throw a dead Copic in the trash every time it runs out of ink.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Aye, fair enough.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:ughh:

e:

To be fair, I can totally get that as a fetish, having people draw you for money.

lofi fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 13, 2020

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I love “normal canvas size.” It reminds me of my wide-format printing days when people would want something printed “poster-sized”.

Me: Poster size? You mean 16x20? 18x24? 24x36?
Them: ...
Me: :doh:

And ultimately what they really wanted was something much smaller, usually 11x17.

That is NOT a loving poster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, it was about then I started to realise this dude wasn't legit. That and the three word replies. I guess typing with one hand ain't easy.

Also, poster-size is A2. :eng101: Of the many things the US does backwards, non-standard paper sizes sound the most frustrating, how do you deal with that?

lofi fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 13, 2020