Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Is there a recommended way of cleaning liquid metal from a motherboard? I received a used AM4 board from ebay and there's quite a bit on it (including some in the socket :whitewater:), not sure if there's a sure-fire way of cleaning it out or if I shouldn't bother and just start a return on it.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'd just start a return, you don't know where else it got.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
Are there any USB switches that don't suck? (I'm talking about a device like this that lets you switch connected keyboard/mouse/etc. between two different computers, like a KVM but no video ports.) All the ones I've found have horrible reviews: they introduce keyboard/mouse lag, they simply violate USB spec with type A ports on the upstream, they don't electrically isolate the computers, etc.

I'm willing to spend a little more, I suppose, but I'm leaning toward just getting a decent hub and switching the plug as needed if there isn't something decent without going to a >$100 full-blown KVM.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Geemer posted:

This, but...

Just as a fools exercise, I wonder if a solder sucker would do a good job or not for that?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

speaking from personal experience, getting metal in the CPU socket is p much death regardless of sucker

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

But enough about your mother...board

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Geemer posted:

Sure I do - the VRM capacitors, the VRM heatpipe, in the first PCIe slot, the memory traces, the cover of the chipset heatsink, on one of the fan headers...

All normal for an "Open Box" item, right?

e. Found some on the back of the board as well, which is pretty impressive.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 5, 2020

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Actuarial Fables posted:

Sure I do - the VRM capacitors, the VRM heatpipe, in the first PCIe slot, the memory traces, the cover of the chipset heatsink, on one of the fan headers...

All normal for an "Open Box" item, right?

:allbuttons:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
edit: wrong thread

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm not sure what the most appropriate thread is to post this in, but is there a webcam that actually cares about user privacy?

I mean, I get that most of "user had their Ring hacked" news is simply just idiots reusing passwords and things like that, but still.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Anything with a privacy shutter

I have a few friends that work in the film industry and they have super strict rules about what devices can/cant be in their home office for audio recording.

Personally if I was that worried about a webcam but completely ok with my google home etc etc and only wanted a solution for that one thing, i would probably just hook it up to an A/B switch that leads to nowhere, or one of those hubs that allows you to kill power with the push of a button

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Employee at Company A stole a formula for electrolyte and took it with him when he went to work for Company B. Unfortunately the formula was incomplete and resulted in thousands, maybe millions of boards with bad caps.

Holy poo poo is that really what happened? I've never heard that before.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Holy poo poo is that really what happened? I've never heard that before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague#Industrial_espionage

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Haha man, well, they really got the "steal the formula and manufacture and sell the gently caress out of it" part down

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I put together a system that has a Ryzen 7 2700x with the stock Wraith Prism cooler/thermal paste, using a Cooler Master Q300L case that included a 120mm exhaust fan. I added two 140mm intake fans. The case is pretty small, but I've read it's thermals are ok, but not amazing (anecdotal evidence through reddit posts, haven't read any reviews).

I've been running smallFTTs Prime95 for about an hour now, and Ryzen Master reports the CPU temp is around ~82-84C. All fans are properly at 100% speed. Is that load temp Ok? It topped out at 85C for a little bit, but went back down to the ~82-84 range. Doesn't seem like it's gonna go past that temp. Quick google search says the 2700x starts to thermal throttle at 95C. Ryzen Master also lists the PTC value at 95C as well. Should I re-seat the CPU cooler? Or nah? Idle temps bump around ~35-50C in this case.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

U did good

35c is colder than human body temp

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Question on moving countries and whether my PC equipment will work. I currently live in Australia. I'm looking to move to either the UK or Netherlands this year.

Would my PC work with a simple plug change (I am under the impression that a PSU can take multiple voltage inputs?). Or would I need to swap out the the PSU.

Also will a monitor work or is that going to blow up like a TV would? I obviously am not going to buy a transformer or anything for this so more to see if i should sell stuff before leaving and buy again over there.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

You’ll want to invert all your fans when you cross the equator

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Fists Up posted:

Question on moving countries and whether my PC equipment will work. I currently live in Australia. I'm looking to move to either the UK or Netherlands this year.

Would my PC work with a simple plug change (I am under the impression that a PSU can take multiple voltage inputs?). Or would I need to swap out the the PSU.

Also will a monitor work or is that going to blow up like a TV would? I obviously am not going to buy a transformer or anything for this so more to see if i should sell stuff before leaving and buy again over there.

Everything will work fine. And no, a TV wouldn't "blow up", they're made for multiple voltages just the same.

Also, why would you ever move to the UK.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Lambert posted:

Everything will work fine. And no, a TV wouldn't "blow up", they're made for multiple voltages just the same.

Also, why would you ever move to the UK.

Thanks.

Maybe now but TVs definitely would blow up if plugged into a socket in Australia. However that could also be from the US which has lower voltages.

And cause I just love Boris Johnson so much.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Fists Up posted:

Thanks.

Maybe now but TVs definitely would blow up if plugged into a socket in Australia. However that could also be from the US which has lower voltages.

And cause I just love Boris Johnson so much.

Any modern flatscreen TV has a switching power supply, it's not the 90s anymore. You really needn't be worried. If you still are, check the data sheet/type sheet on the device, should provide all the information needed on accepted voltages.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Fists Up posted:

A power supply will list something like "110-220 V, 50/60 Hz" which basically means it'll take mains/grid power anywhere in the world with, you got it, the appropriate plug.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I have an unusual question:

My PS4 suddenly stopped reading discs. This might seem like the wrong thread for this, but bear with me as I promise that this is relevant. So, I need to send it in for repair. They told me to send it in with the original hard drive, which I do have, but when I upgraded the PS4 drive I put the original PS4 drive into my PS3 - I never thought that this would come back to bite me on the arse. I'm not willing to send back the original drive as I need it to use my PS3 (which is also my PS2 and PS1) and it has irreplaceable data on it, so I ordered a drive of the exact same size and model number (literally) from Amazon. I can't imagine that it would make a difference if it's my original drive or another of the exact some model, but I would like to if possible copy the data from the old, original PS4 drive to this new one and put that one my PS3 so that I can send back the original. I don't think that my laptop has enough 2.5 ports, so do I have any reasonable options for copying/cloning the old 500 gb drive to the new? I didn't know if there was a laptop drive-to-USB cable or something cheap and simple like that that I could use.

Thank you in advance

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

I have an unusual question:

My PS4 suddenly stopped reading discs. This might seem like the wrong thread for this, but bear with me as I promise that this is relevant. So, I need to send it in for repair. They told me to send it in with the original hard drive, which I do have, but when I upgraded the PS4 drive I put the original PS4 drive into my PS3 - I never thought that this would come back to bite me on the arse. I'm not willing to send back the original drive as I need it to use my PS3 (which is also my PS2 and PS1) and it has irreplaceable data on it, so I ordered a drive of the exact same size and model number (literally) from Amazon. I can't imagine that it would make a difference if it's my original drive or another of the exact some model, but I would like to if possible copy the data from the old, original PS4 drive to this new one and put that one my PS3 so that I can send back the original. I don't think that my laptop has enough 2.5 ports, so do I have any reasonable options for copying/cloning the old 500 gb drive to the new? I didn't know if there was a laptop drive-to-USB cable or something cheap and simple like that that I could use.

Thank you in advance

There's SATA to USB adapters that you can use for this purpose. 2.5" drives can be powered with just USB and don't need the extra 12V power plug so get a (few) well-reviewed USB 3 one(s) and use something like Macrium Reflect to clone it.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sata+to+usb+3.0+adapter&crid=2KXQE1LPKQ84X&sprefix=sata+to+%2Caps%2C223&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8

There's also ones that can handle multiple drives at once and can do cloning on their own, but I have no idea how good they are.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I want my GPU fans to run at a minimum percentage at all times, basically at the maximum (not the addition) value between two fan curves. Is there a standard multiplexer for fan inputs? As far as I know, a 3 pin connector to a fan is just a sensor and a +12VDC and GND, so a voltage multiplexer should work fine on the voltage line. Is that the case? Is something like that made? I haven't been able to find anything like that.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I built a new PC and daisy chained two Arctic F12 PWN fans, plugging them in to a single fan header on the ASRock B450i motherboard. Only one of the two fans is spinning up. Any ideas?

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Does anyone have experience of ethernet over coax? is it any better than ethernet over power?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Vier posted:

Does anyone have experience of ethernet over coax? is it any better than ethernet over power?
Have you asked in the networking thread? They usually recommend powerline adapters, mainly because they are cheap any typically work. Powerline and MoCA are both kinda magic that may or may not work, it depends on the quality of the wires in your walls. I would pickup a pair of powerline adapters locally first and if they fail then maybe buy some more expensive MoCA adapters, and also consider that you might need to replace a coax splitter to make MoCA work.

You might also be able to use old Direct TV DECA adapters, they are MoCA but at the same frequency your modem and cable TV use so they will likely cause interference. Using DECA adapters without DirrctTV is unsupported and not documented well its very difficult to tell if this will actually work or not. DECA is the cheap and difficult option.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Looking for a SSD to build a lovely homebrew server with a buddy. Nothing serious, just want a machine I can spin up for a game server here and there... TF2, The Forest, ARK, Minecraft, you get the idea

Anyway, something like this should do the job:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch...151&sr=8-3&th=1

but I would love any input as to why that's a bad choice, hopefully with a recommendation of something that's better

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Noslo posted:

Looking for a SSD to build a lovely homebrew server with a buddy. Nothing serious, just want a machine I can spin up for a game server here and there... TF2, The Forest, ARK, Minecraft, you get the idea

Anyway, something like this should do the job:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch...151&sr=8-3&th=1

but I would love any input as to why that's a bad choice, hopefully with a recommendation of something that's better

Samsung 860 EVO is considered one of the best consumer SSDs on the market so it should be just fine.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there such a thing as a powerbank, but like for a laptop, and what should I be looking out for when picking out such a thing

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If your laptop supports USB Type-C PD like a lot of recent higher-end ones do, then yeah you can just buy a powerbank that does that up to at least 45W, probably higher. Some other specific models might support them too, like Dell makes a "Power Companion" which will charge a lot of theirs. If it's not Type-C and the OEM doesn't make one though your only real off-the-shelf option is a large battery supply with an AC outlet that you could plug the AC adapter into.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Vier posted:

I have HomePNA coax as part of a U-Verse setup. It works fine, especially considering it's only intended for the IPTV component and I've kinda hijacked it for a home LAN setup by taking advantage of the fact that the U-Verse receivers are bridged. I think it maxes out at around 6 MB/s, which sounds pitiful but is more than enough to take advantage of my ~25 Mb/s downstream Internet connection. Just keep in mind that's bus topology (unless I'm wrong about this) and in my case it's possible to disrupt the IPTV video streaming by saturating the network with other traffic. To clarify, I'm only using this setup because the house isn't wired with Ethernet and I hate Wifi.

So to answer your question, it will likely work fine, possibly more reliably than powerline networking (due to how your home may be wired.)

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there such a thing as a powerbank, but like for a laptop, and what should I be looking out for when picking out such a thing

Eletriarnation posted:

If your laptop supports USB Type-C PD like a lot of recent higher-end ones do, then yeah you can just buy a powerbank that does that up to at least 45W, probably higher. Some other specific models might support them too, like Dell makes a "Power Companion" which will charge a lot of theirs. If it's not Type-C and the OEM doesn't make one though your only real off-the-shelf option is a large battery supply with an AC outlet that you could plug the AC adapter into.

Pretty much the only option that I've seen, beside USB-C Power Delivery, are some emergency portable starters for cars. For example TELWIN Drive 9000 which has 19V output for laptops. But you would still need to find a suitable cable. Or this unnamed Amazon model, which comes with several laptop power cord adapters.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have a KVM question to add to the pile. I'm having a hard time finding one that can control two monitors together between two machines. Using the term "dual monitor" generally is getting me two-port devices. That is, a KVM that can switch between two environments in general. Is it rare for their to be one switching two displays together?

I do see some that support DisplayPort. Theoretically, DisplayPort can drive two screens from one cable, but I don't know how endemic that is. Also, one of the computers I want to switch to is my work laptop that lacks DisplayPort now. Should I try to look forwards and search for Type-C switches? I'm guessing I can get a dock and type-C switch to do this kind of thing.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have a KVM question to add to the pile. I'm having a hard time finding one that can control two monitors together between two machines. Using the term "dual monitor" generally is getting me two-port devices. That is, a KVM that can switch between two environments in general. Is it rare for their to be one switching two displays together?

They do exist, the key search term seems to be "2-port" to indicate dual-monitor capabilities.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=36652

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Actuarial Fables posted:

They do exist, the key search term seems to be "2-port" to indicate dual-monitor capabilities.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=36652

I think you managed to find a unicorn, which of course is sold out. :(

I tried 2-port on Amazon and it was just one screen, two devices. So I figured the problem was doing this on Amazon and tried NewEgg. It's the same problem. On the other hand, since I switched over to NewEgg, I tried "dual display" and did get some stuff... that costs a ton of money for HDMI. For that amount, I might experiment with a pair of docks routed into a type-C switcher or something.

Edit: Finally found reasonable stuff. I think "dual display" was more fruitful than "dual monitor."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've got a dual monitor question. I've recently swapped from having two crappy monitors to a single glorious LG 38GL950G. What I've found is I'm missing having a second screen for having mail/browser/whatever up while I'm playing games.

I've heard that having two monitors with wildly different resolutions running off one card is a serious performance hit. Is that accurate? If so is it viable getting a dirt cheap $30 pci-1x video card to drive a browsing only second monitor?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Azhais posted:

I've heard that having two monitors with wildly different resolutions running off one card is a serious performance hit.

Ehh... that really smacks of a myth. Plus I do that; 1920x1080 on one and 1280x960 on the other and I'm pretty sure it's not having an impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think you managed to find a unicorn, which of course is sold out. :(

I tried 2-port on Amazon and it was just one screen, two devices. So I figured the problem was doing this on Amazon and tried NewEgg. It's the same problem. On the other hand, since I switched over to NewEgg, I tried "dual display" and did get some stuff... that costs a ton of money for HDMI. For that amount, I might experiment with a pair of docks routed into a type-C switcher or something.

Edit: Finally found reasonable stuff. I think "dual display" was more fruitful than "dual monitor."

Level1techs has some really high end kvms for sale but they tend to be pricey:
https://store.level1techs.com/?category=Hardware