Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Howard Carter did just fine with dynamite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Phiz shouldn't have bought a house sitting on top of the WIPP.

I wanted a nice view of the Sword Coast. :(

thomawesome posted:

I worked as an archaeologist for about a year and if there's a know burial on the site it won't be excavated. In the US at least. Pre excavation, if it's not known, but there's a chance there's a high probability of a burial due to proximity to other significant sites/burials, there will be an intense survey done. If there's been no survey, or previous surveys haven't proven there to be anything significant in the area, there will still be a survey done but at a broader scope.

For a strange, pyramid shaped mound or earthwork that is untouched, you sure as poo poo won't be digging your giant hole for years, because I promise you that archaeological survey will take years to complete, and then years to study and publish.

Also if you want to do the math, I could dig a 1m x 50cm x 50cm hole in about 10 minutes in my prime. Apply that to your total volume of dirt and that's about how long it would take me to do by hand.

It's not in the US, but there are a handful of locales it could be, uh, located in: 1) The highest hill on the Plains of luz 2) An island (unmapped) In the Nyr Dyv 3) In the Bright Desert 4) At the western border of the Duchy of Geolt 5) Somewhere in the Vast Swamp south of Sundl 6) On an island beyond the realm of the Sea Barons

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
For projects moving more than 50,000 cubic yards of dirt, daily production rates are from 1200-4500 CY per day, per site. If you have guys working in from both ends, you could treat it like two sites.

https://flh.fhwa.dot.gov/resources/design/tools/cfl/documents/CFLHD_production_rates.xls

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

thomawesome posted:

Also if you want to do the math, I could dig a 1m x 50cm x 50cm hole in about 10 minutes in my prime. Apply that to your total volume of dirt and that's about how long it would take me to do by hand.

As your hole gets beyond a trivially small size you start having to worry about disposing of the tailings. With an excavation several hundred feet wide, the displaced earth will need to be transported at least that far. There will also be a hell of a lot of it.

The hypothetical group of modern adventurers will need a place to put all the earth they're displacing. It will matter how far away that is, as well as how many trucks will be available. This will determine the round-trip time to load a truck with earth, have it dump somewhere, and return. The maximum number of trucks that even can be used will likely be dictated more by site access and traffic control more than budget- if you only have space for one front-loader at a time to load trucks, once you reach the point it is busy all the time you are maxed out. This volume of spoil disposal per unit of working time is then the maximum excavation rate of your site.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think the person who mentioned Bagger has the right of it, and if the aforementioned rapidly annihilative localized anomaly can be situated at the back of the conveyor, the question of how to handle tailings is effectively moot. This assumes, of course, that the contents excavated are of absolutely no concern.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I don't condone doxxing or anything but over the years of posting with certain people on these forums I've started putting nebulous biographies of them in my mind from the various things that they've mentioned about their personal lives. Phiz living atop a haunted barrow in a swamp really throws off the narrative I was had formed for them.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Just use reanimated labor, you don't need to worry about their health and safety if they're already dead!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Just use reanimated labor, you don't need to worry about their health and safety if they're already dead!

The undead need a better union.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Uthor posted:

Your party arrives in the realm of a powerful necromancer where the undead are on strike over pay and benefits.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Uthor posted:

Undead union is just a flesh golem

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

OSHA thread, I have a question. Let's say there's a hill, 200 yards wide by 300 yards long. The middle rises to a 60' mound, we can assume a uniform shape, roughly triangular pyramidal in design. How long would it take an average construction team with modern equipment to excavate that area, to a depth of 60'?

Edit- For context, there's 5,400,000 ft of earth to be excavated down to ground level, then an additional 32,400,000 below that. Ground condition is sloped and marshy, with a series of large stones on the top of the hill and around one edge of the field.

some back-of-the-envelope calculations suggest that you could move that much earth with a 30-kiloton nuclear device buried about 350 feet under the surface. that isn't exactly the shape of the excavation you need, but that's the kind of energy release involved.

perhaps three ten-kiloton devices buried to the desired excavation depth in a chain 100 yards apart?

it would be a lot faster than using construction equipment and you said you don't care about what's underneath so

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
from a certain perspective, even solid matter is mostly empty space (in between the subatomic particles etc)

so really there's not a big difference between moving the dirt and not. might as well just kick back and take it easy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Your party arrives in the realm of a powerful necromancer where the undead are on strike over pay and benefits.

I've always thought you could get a decent fantasy series out of following the magic lawyers who write and negotiate the pacts wizards make with demons. Necromantic contract law.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

haveblue posted:

I've always thought you could get a decent fantasy series out of following the magic lawyers who write and negotiate the pacts wizards make with demons. Necromantic contract law.

Isn't that basically Angel

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

EXCAVATE A MOUNTAIN
LIVING ON A GRAVE
TRUCKEFUCKLIN IS ALL THAT I CRAVE

Ornamental Dingbat fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 8, 2020

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

haveblue posted:

Have you been injured or transmogrified by careless casters in the workplace? Call 1-800-GOT-WIZZ now, we've collected thousands of platinum coins for adventurers JUST LIKE YOU!

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
Hey Phiz, whatever you do if you find a gemstone in the tomb please don't let any of your workers near it. When I was younger and doing tomb excavations on a regular basis we found one of those and it disintegrated half the team before our lead could get the proper incantation out to lock it out.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

haveblue posted:

The Raven Tower by Ann Leckie has portions about similar things with God's making deals with worshipers and other gods.

It pretty OSHA I guess, with a god getting killed by a bow that he was trying to get back after he realized he made it so it could even kill himself.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Cthulu Carl posted:

getting killed by a bow that he was trying to get back after he realized he made it so it could even kill himself.

Hoisted by his own bombard, eh?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
https://i.imgur.com/wihaqyq.mp4

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

New Battlefield game looking good.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
If several million is within your budget, I can have your hole dug within a few seconds after set up, you won't need to be come near it for a few decades will you?

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
well thread, I seem to have tempted the angry hydrogen failure god

I mentioned that I’m doing a startup plasma equipment thingy, it runs h2 with an argon dilutant, and because I don’t want to die, I run a shitload of nitrogen to dilute the pump exhaust so I’m not just blasting gently caress off amounts of hydrogen into my exhaust

I walked in and began the machine startup this morning, pump turned on, and got hit with the Hydrogen LEL klaxon that killed the hydrogen generator. I immediately ran to it and noted that the exhaust cabinet H2 concentration was 40%

Thankfully explosion proof exhaust fans and the dilutant brought that back down to 0 without explosions but that was pant shifting

I started doing the failure analysis and found that the hydrogen generator isolation valve failed open (!) as well as the final valve between the flow controller and chamber (!!) so basically overnight the chamber, which is typically valve off and isolated under vacuum when idle, had gone up to about .8 atmosphere of hydrogen overnight

so there’s your two point failure, at least I didn’t hit yahtzee and have the fan spark or something

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Why?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

gently caress I hate when noobs just jump in the chopper, practice that poo poo on an empty server please

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
wow, the Navy Seals insertion into bin Laden's compound could have gone a little smoother

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maybe because of the walls around them caused problems with the air (don't know what it's called), like what apparently happened at the Bin Laden compound?

Fake edit: ^^^Yeah that

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Maybe because of the walls around them caused problems with the air (don't know what it's called), like what apparently happened at the Bin Laden compound?

ground effect.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

No why.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Sagebrush posted:

some back-of-the-envelope calculations suggest that you could move that much earth with a 30-kiloton nuclear device buried about 350 feet under the surface. that isn't exactly the shape of the excavation you need, but that's the kind of energy release involved.

perhaps three ten-kiloton devices buried to the desired excavation depth in a chain 100 yards apart?

it would be a lot faster than using construction equipment and you said you don't care about what's underneath so

Would one Teleport spell cover a full thermonuclear device or would you need multiple castings or like, Gate? IDK if the trigger and warhead count as separate objects.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I don't condone doxxing or anything but over the years of posting with certain people on these forums I've started putting nebulous biographies of them in my mind from the various things that they've mentioned about their personal lives. Phiz living atop a haunted barrow in a swamp really throws off the narrative I was had formed for them.

In all honesty that's really not inaccurate, there's a shallow body of water visible from my window and my basement floods every time it rains. that's why it's so easy for my wife to raise beetles in our Murder Dungeon.

Sex Skeleton posted:

Hey Phiz, whatever you do if you find a gemstone in the tomb please don't let any of your workers near it. When I was younger and doing tomb excavations on a regular basis we found one of those and it disintegrated half the team before our lead could get the proper incantation out to lock it out.

OK, I'll put that as a Ground Condition. Did it steal your souls or just physically disintegrate your beings, and do you think that effect will work on Bulldozers?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Thanks to Devor for providing approximate numbers for this one. I recalculated volumes after realizing that 1) I am bad at math and 2) stoned. It would take one team 45 days to level the site to grade, then 267 to excavate the additional 20 yards down.

Think I'm gonna have to go with the nuclear option on this one.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 8, 2020

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm no expert but given the wall height and how far away they are I don't think it was the walls causing an issue. The bin laden compound raid was a much tighter space.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Brute Squad posted:

ground effect.

Ground effect isn't about walls being around you and ducting the airflow, it's just being close to the ground. If you're in a helicopter close to the ground, then less air is flowing down through the rotor disc, which in turn means that for a given blade pitch angle you have more thrust. It's kind of the opposite of settling with power. Getting into disturbed airflow near the ground because there are walls and other objects around you that are deflecting the downwash back into the helicopter and sending it skating all around isn't ground effect, it's just a bad situation.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Phanatic posted:

Ground effect isn't about walls being around you and ducting the airflow, it's just being close to the ground. If you're in a helicopter close to the ground, then less air is flowing down through the rotor disc, which in turn means that for a given blade pitch angle you have more thrust. It's kind of the opposite of settling with power. Getting into disturbed airflow near the ground because there are walls and other objects around you that are deflecting the downwash back into the helicopter and sending it skating all around isn't ground effect, it's just a bad situation.

I've been in a helicopter but have never piloted one because that would be a terrible idea for anyone involved. I'm trying to imagine the fluid dynamics here for the dipshits like myself - so...like if you had a lightweight high RPM fan, say a case fan, and you were trying to settle it, blowing downwards, onto a level surface. Now you add walls and tiny cars and folks around it.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
For reference, here is an illustration of what causes ground effect:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
One thing I learned with an RC helicopter, is that if you get too close to a wall, pressure drops between the blades and the wall and the helicopter gets sucked into the wall.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

OK, I'll put that as a Ground Condition. Did it steal your souls or just physically disintegrate your beings, and do you think that effect will work on Bulldozers?
Are these bulldozers magically enlarged bulls with front loader buckets replacing their horns, or golemic constructs of similar design?

Those gems tend to disintegrate living flesh but not affect constructs.

Always be sure to have a licensed and bonded independent thaumaturge available for a second opinion when evaluating any unexpected gems of power.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rent-A-Cop posted:

That is not pleb which can eternal strike.
And with labor unions even capitalism may die.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cojawfee posted:

One thing I learned with an RC helicopter, is that if you get too close to a wall, pressure drops between the blades and the wall and the helicopter gets sucked into the wall.

One thing I learned with a small drone is if you fly it while drinking, there is a good chance you will pilot it directly at your face.

Probably why I haven't flown it in about two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

CannonFodder posted:

Are these bulldozers magically enlarged bulls with front loader buckets replacing their horns, or golemic constructs of similar design?

Those gems tend to disintegrate living flesh but not affect constructs.

Always be sure to have a licensed and bonded independent thaumaturge available for a second opinion when evaluating any unexpected gems of power.

nope, these are bog-standard mundane bulldozers, imported into the gameworld by Wizard Antics. Technically, that makes them an invasive species.