Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

That Eidolon isn't terrible in a W/X aggro deck. And it lets you do mentor shenanigans too.

Pretty sure it's just unplayable trash at a 3 drop. Are you going to play this over Gideon, Legion warboss, or that other 3 spoiled 3 drop that makes things into 4/4s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Sickening posted:

So nobody else has to watch an unfunny video.

I also super like this equipment as it seems playable.

I like that the actual equip effect is a baby Loxodon Hammer.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

That thing may as well have a "made in Phyrexia" engraving on it.

E: Set after Ikoria is Return to Return to Zendikar, right? Putting my marker down now on Phyrexians vs. Eldrazi in a title fight for "worst extraplanar invasion hellmonsters."

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 8, 2020

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Owlbear Camus posted:

E: Set after Ikoria is Return to Return to Zendikar, right? Putting my marker down now on Phyrexians vs. Eldrazi in a title fight for "worst extraplanar invasion hellmonsters."

i feel like after making return to zendikar all about the eldrazi and realizing that was not, in fact, what people liked about zendikar or the themes of the set at all and loudly saying that was a mistake, that Return to Zendikar is going to be super light on the eldrazi if they appear at all

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 8, 2020

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
They said it was going to be a return to the original adventure-themed Zendikar and not an Eldrazi apocalypse redux, so probably not.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm all NDA'ed up but I expect people will like it.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Did Elspeth's original Signature Sword Weapon have that double lightbulb thing going on? Maybe this is just that but she dropped it in ~glistening oil~ and it turned spoopy. Or that's just the underworld mire that other card references. :shepface:Or the underworld mire IS phyrexian oil! :shepface:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

When do we get Return to New Phyrexia

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

Zendikar is the fall set. We have to get through the “Teferi focused” core set first.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tainen posted:

“Teferi focused” core set first.

inagine i posted the shook white lady "the. Whatm" meme here

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Like how M20 was Chandra themed, supposedly

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Count Bleck posted:

I am a simple man

I see good equipment, I put good equipment into Syr Gwyn, simple.

:pervert:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Did Elspeth's original Signature Sword Weapon have that double lightbulb thing going on? Maybe this is just that but she dropped it in ~glistening oil~ and it turned spoopy. Or that's just the underworld mire that other card references. :shepface:Or the underworld mire IS phyrexian oil! :shepface:

Yes its been there since her first card.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Bugsy posted:

Yes its been there since her first card.

Ok, so I'm not imagining things. I started with Not-Egypt so I totally missed the Not-Greece set but I've seen the character here and there.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Ok, so I'm not imagining things. I started with Not-Egypt so I totally missed the Not-Greece set but I've seen the character here and there.

Elspeth affixed her sword to a spear's shaft. I think her sword, like her armor, is from Bant.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 8, 2020

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Star Man posted:

Elspeth affixed her sword to a spear's shaft. I think she her sword, like her armor, is from Bant.

Actually, when Elspeth first planeswalked, she walked to Theros, and caught the sword, formally the Sword of Chaos, and then immediately walked away.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Sunlit Hoplite doesn't seem terrible? Makes me not dislike intropack Elspeth.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

When do we get Return to New Phyrexia

"Return to Old Phyrexia"

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Owlbear Camus posted:

I've thought about it and there's nothing inherently keeping them from making a Teferi-focused set, with multiple Teferi walker cards, without it being the sort of format influenza that his most recent two incarnations have been.

Flavor-wise, Teferi's portfolio is time magic and peacekeeping/protection. That doesn't have to translate mechanically into super annoying poo poo; it's only their lack of imagination (or, more cynically, their desire to push Teferi cards) that makes it so. Just off the top of my head, mechanics that could reflect that sort of flavor:

Rebound (this wouldn't be a bad keyword mechanic to bring back for a core set, but they could also just do that thing where they functionally reprint it without the keyword)
Flicker your own stuff
Temporary activated protection or damage prevention for your creatures (for, e.g., an alpha strike)
Symmetrical card draw or wheel/timetwister effects (admittedly niche, but see Teferi's Puzzle Box; the fly in the ointment here would be the presence of Narset also in the format, but maybe it's okay to have that for a couple months of super standard)

Any mechanic can become too lovely if they push it too hard or if they put it in Standard with the wrong synergists, but on paper all of these avoid the lovely fun-police gameplay patterns that people have come to hate about the last two Constructed playable Teferi cards. In particular, rebound or flickering favor proactive gameplay plans, rather than the prophylactic control to which both Hero of Dominaria and Time Raveler lent themselves. It'd be a change, at least.

Even with some of the existing Teferi mechanics, a change in philosophy-- like making Time Raveler's passive symmetrical and giving him a different plus-- could go a long way.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tainen posted:

Zendikar is the fall set. We have to get through the “Teferi focused” core set first.

I think I'm going to take those three months off from Magic. It'll be summer so maybe I'll work out a bit, take a few road trips; and by the time I get back all Tefaris will be banned.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Phasing would be the perfect mechanic to bring back for this core set

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
http://mythicspoiler.com/tbd/cards/nyxbloomancient.html

This seems like the epitome of “too much ramp”

Note this affects all permanents, not just lands, in case you want to pop your Black Lotus for 9 mana instead of 3, or make anything that can produce more than 1 mana incredibly stupid in general.

EDIT: Oh god imagine the size you could get Krasis to with this out, ban all simic cards please

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 8, 2020

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

give head or get dead posted:

Phasing would be the perfect mechanic to bring back for this core set

Bands with other phasing.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

T3 nissa, t4 this and krasis for lots.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JerryLee posted:

I've thought about it and there's nothing inherently keeping them from making a Teferi-focused set, with multiple Teferi walker cards, without it being the sort of format influenza that his most recent two incarnations have been.

Flavor-wise, Teferi's portfolio is time magic and peacekeeping/protection. That doesn't have to translate mechanically into super annoying poo poo; it's only their lack of imagination (or, more cynically, their desire to push Teferi cards) that makes it so. Just off the top of my head, mechanics that could reflect that sort of flavor:

Rebound (this wouldn't be a bad keyword mechanic to bring back for a core set, but they could also just do that thing where they functionally reprint it without the keyword)
Flicker your own stuff
Temporary activated protection or damage prevention for your creatures (for, e.g., an alpha strike)
Symmetrical card draw or wheel/timetwister effects (admittedly niche, but see Teferi's Puzzle Box; the fly in the ointment here would be the presence of Narset also in the format, but maybe it's okay to have that for a couple months of super standard)

Any mechanic can become too lovely if they push it too hard or if they put it in Standard with the wrong synergists, but on paper all of these avoid the lovely fun-police gameplay patterns that people have come to hate about the last two Constructed playable Teferi cards. In particular, rebound or flickering favor proactive gameplay plans, rather than the prophylactic control to which both Hero of Dominaria and Time Raveler lent themselves. It'd be a change, at least.

Even with some of the existing Teferi mechanics, a change in philosophy-- like making Time Raveler's passive symmetrical and giving him a different plus-- could go a long way.

Even if they did make fair and less annoying planeswalkers, I still have a huge issue with them having multiple Tefaris, Chandras, Vivians, or anyone else in standard. It's too hard to memorize all of them, and even if you read all 12 lines of text every time they come down, it's still easy to forget and confuse them with a similarly named and looking card.

They should be disciplined enough that standard only has one planeswalker of each type at a time.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Give us Teferi’s fart box as an artifact!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Are you loving kidding me?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Wizards, you like green a lot, we get it.

Enough already.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

berenzen posted:

T3 nissa, t4 this and krasis for lots.

does this work or are they both replacement effects?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

The Human Crouton posted:

Even if they did make fair and less annoying planeswalkers, I still have a huge issue with them having multiple Tefaris, Chandras, Vivians, or anyone else in standard. It's too hard to memorize all of them, and even if you read all 12 lines of text every time they come down, it's still easy to forget and confuse them with a similarly named and looking card.

They should be disciplined enough that standard only has one planeswalker of each type at a time.

Yeah, I think it's dumb that they need to print a million new variants of each planeswalker, and I also think it was a poor idea to change the planeswalker legendary rule (or, more accurately, make planeswalkers follow the existing legendary rule), but neither of those genies is returning to its bottle anytime soon, or ever.

uggy posted:

does this work or are they both replacement effects?

Just reading the templating, this new card is a replacement effect while Nissa is... I'm not sure if trigger is correct here, but it's not a replacement effect (it doesn't use "instead"). So in theory they stack. I'm not sure what the order of operations is, but frankly at that point it's probably academic.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 8, 2020

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Ancient plus Nissa is 4 mana forests.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Mikujin posted:

Ancient plus Nissa is 4 mana forests.

Even better:

https://twitter.com/nerdtothecore/status/1214994158051610630?s=21

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Speaking of big mana, has a Nykthos reprint been crunched out? That was a leading theory as I recall.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
What is the ruling on order of operations when multiple cards affect the value of something. For example, you just triggered the 3rd phase of that red saga that adds +2 to all red damage. You also have furnace of rath in play.

Does a bolt do (3+2)*2 or (3*2)+2?

This will be relevant for Nyxbloom+Nissa.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Uh Excuse me WotC, there is a typo here, this creature is not Legendary. What the gently caress

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

You know, it's only relevant for eternal/casual formats, but it just occurred to me that you can Academy Rector for that in Commander or whatever.

And Natural Order, Pattern of Rebirth, etc., of course.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Feel like that thing being an Elemental is going to be relevant, beyond the ridiculous power level.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Owlbear Camus posted:

Speaking of big mana, has a Nykthos reprint been crunched out? That was a leading theory as I recall.

There is one slot between Field of Ruin and Temple of Abandon, once you see card 243 it will either be Nykthos or Nykthos is not in the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Salvor_Hardin posted:

What is the ruling on order of operations when multiple cards affect the value of something. For example, you just triggered the 3rd phase of that red saga that adds +2 to all red damage. You also have furnace of rath in play.

Does a bolt do (3+2)*2 or (3*2)+2?

This will be relevant for Nyxbloom+Nissa.

I don't actually know the answer to that question, but it's not relevant for Nyxbloom/Nissa because Nissa's ability is a trigger. So you tap a Forest, Nyxbloom turns that into GGG, Nissa triggers and gives you one additional G.

E: Just looked this up, apparently the player or controller of the thing being dealt damage decides, which is not what I would have guessed. So your opponent would choose to have the bolt do 8 instead of 10.

Nibble fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 8, 2020