Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017
Oooh, maybe I'm making my first terrible spoiler claim, but that thing seems pretty poo poo, yeah? Or at least wildly worse than Nissa.

Needing considerable ramp to enable a greater ramp enabler seems quite bad. The body is worse than Nissa's on board value, and 7 is markedly more than 5. Even post rotation, I can't see this making a mark in anything other than some sort of EDH nonsense.

Even cheating this into play seems dubious, at that you're just cheating it to get to something else, why not just do that in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
This just in, 7 mana spell that does nothing when it enters the battlefield is too powerful for Standard to handle

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Speaking of big mana, has a Nykthos reprint been crunched out? That was a leading theory as I recall.

I'd be very surprised to see nykthos and nyx lotus in the same set

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

qwewq posted:

Even cheating this into play seems dubious, at that you're just cheating it to get to something else, why not just do that in the first place?

Cuz it will be fun! I will crack an LED for 81 or more at some point hopefully.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Seems like it slots right into Simic ramp deck, it even has trample so Finale of Devastation becomes absolutely lethal. No more Forerunners required.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

qwewq posted:

Is there a fireball/banefire in Standard right now?

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017
Well sure, but like, anyone can find anything in Magic fun and novel. Some filthy degenerate is, at this very moment, rolling around in a sopping wet pile of Riven Turnbull commander decks, just waiting for their moment to shine.

So when I say it seems worse than what you could be doing otherwise, I mean it without all the hand-wringing that someone could find some goofy use for it that appeals perfectly to them.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Krasis, the inverse Fireball! or Expansion Explosion for the 3 color connoisseurs.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Owlbear Camus posted:

Electrodominance, and soon to be Purph's intervention. Explosion if in rug.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

qwewq posted:

Don't get me wrong, it's probably still win-more, but I think most people's thinking in this is going towards X-spells, which are pretty bad for cheating, generally.

I want to try this at least once in some sort of bad Fires shell. Lay your seventh land, play this without tapping any land, immediately have 21 mana to sink into whatever your little Timmy heart desires. Will it be better than whatever else you could be doing in a Fires deck? Probably not, but that's utterly beside the point.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I mean it's a 7 mana spell that wins the game if they can't counter it and they already aren't underneath it. Also applies to about 5 different planeswalkers in Standard right now.

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017
Apropos of nothing, does anyone have a competitive suggestion for the MCQ this weekend? I have next to no time to practice and this format feels like kinda like warmed-up leftovers until THB gets in.

I've dabbled with WU board-wipe-over-stealing control and BR knights. I know I won't have infinite time to do this, so food/sac decks seems unlikely with all the triggers. Ta!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Bugsy posted:

Electrodominance, and soon to be Purph's intervention. Explosion if in rug.

Keep it simic and just play the green and blue finales?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Count Bleck posted:

Can't wait for Heliod's Intervention to be steaming garbage.

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet so idk if it's been spoiled, but here's my guess:

XWW, either make X 1/1 creature tokens or gain twice X life

Even that is probably too good for what it will be

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

combos well with Palinchron.

*whistful memories of my type 1 high tide deck full of power and duals that i sold in 2000 and if it would be a toss up if i got to holler through a time door at y2k me whether i'd warn myself to keep my lotus and moxen and poo poo or to stop 9/11*

The Clowner posted:

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet so idk if it's been spoiled, but here's my guess:

XWW, either make X 1/1 creature tokens or gain twice X life

Even that is probably too good for what it will be

the creature tokens will be vanilla with a dorky tribal type that nothing cares about, probably soldier

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

It's pretty winmore but I'll still run it in my G/u hydra ramp deck so I can Krasis for like 32 on turn 5.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

A 7 mana spell should really be winning the game on its own if it resolves, not "winning the game if you untap with it and have another big spell". It's sortof interesting as a card to cheat out though, if you play it with Fires of Invention you could just fireball your opponent.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
http://mythicspoiler.com/tbd/cards/mysticalrenewal.html

code:
G
Instant.   U
Put target enchantment on the bottom of its owner’s library.
gently caress the gods I guess

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's one way to print an answer in its own set.

(Card extremely could have been white.)

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

the Orb of Zot posted:

code:
G
Instant.   U

And here I was just thinking "well, at least White is still the best at enchantment hate".

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

In this limited environment that's practically a green StP/Path that hits non-creature enchantments, too.

Hyperbole,, sure it's gonna miss some important stuff. But it's going to hit enough that I'm happy to maindeck like 2.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

Seems like it slots right into Simic ramp deck, it even has trample so Finale of Devastation becomes absolutely lethal. No more Forerunners required.

IDK if a single creature with trample is enough, but this is where I'd be interested in trying it out. One copy to be the Finale target, and if occasionally you have way too much fun with quasiduplicate, whelp.

qwewq posted:

Apropos of nothing, does anyone have a competitive suggestion for the MCQ this weekend? I have next to no time to practice and this format feels like kinda like warmed-up leftovers until THB gets in.

I've dabbled with WU board-wipe-over-stealing control and BR knights. I know I won't have infinite time to do this, so food/sac decks seems unlikely with all the triggers. Ta!

BR Knights is a fine choice. WU is obviously also slow like cats. http://www.streamdecker.com/deck/0ie2h70mK3k is the latest evolution of the format I've seen, good against Knights, bad against cats, and pretty close with fires. I'd seriously consider playing it if I was to play in the event.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Cactrot posted:

There is one slot between Field of Ruin and Temple of Abandon, once you see card 243 it will either be Nykthos or Nykthos is not in the set.

http://mythicspoiler.com/tbd/cards/labyrinthofskophos.html

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

"We need a safety valve for all the powerful enchantments and enchantment creatures in this set."
"Hoabout a mashup that harkens to a miracled Banishing Stroke, Condemn, Swords/Path, but hits enchantments instead of creatures, like Demystify. All of these are white spot removal instants that cost [W]."
"I love it, can we make it green and cost [G] though?"

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
/\/\/\ oh man, if there was ever any question that the white "color champion" at wotc has no power or influence this really crystallizes it.

Would it really have broken the game to give this another toughness or cost it at 1W? Green is getting two mana 2/3s with strong but narrow effects but a white three drop with conditional double strike has to die to stomp?

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 8, 2020

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Wasn't listed in the scryfall number crunch, oops.

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

BR Knights is a fine choice. WU is obviously also slow like cats. http://www.streamdecker.com/deck/0ie2h70mK3k is the latest evolution of the format I've seen, good against Knights, bad against cats, and pretty close with fires. I'd seriously consider playing it if I was to play in the event.

Thanks! I'll give that a spin tonight. Bant goodstuff adventures does seem rather compelling, it's an impressive pile of some op poo poo.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

To be fair, green has always been the color of putting enchantments into their controller's deck. White just blows them up or removes them from the game.

Of course this could have just been Erase or whatever so :shrug:

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Owlbear Camus posted:

"We need a safety valve for all the powerful enchantments and enchantment creatures in this set."
"Hoabout a mashup that harkens to a miracled Banishing Stroke, Condemn, Swords/Path, but hits enchantments instead of creatures, like Demystify. All of these are white spot removal instants that cost [W]."
"I love it, can we make it green and cost [G] though?"

It's been 14 months since the PT top 8 was 6/8 Wr decks and had more copies of Healer's Hawk (10) in it than black and green cards (0). Slow your dang roll a little, white will have its day in the sun again.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Cactrot posted:

Wasn't listed in the scryfall number crunch, oops.

That's cause it's a leak not a spoiler.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tulul posted:

It's been 14 months since the PT top 8 was 6/8 Wr decks and had more copies of Healer's Hawk (10) in it than black and green cards (0). Slow your dang roll a little, white will have its day in the sun again.

Yes, but what about Second Sun?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Splashable black targetted discard. 2 mana is a lot, but it does exile and hit gys too.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So the gods are fighting and pulling the dead out of Not Hades to foreverially enchantmentize into immortal heros, their Titan forebears are loosed for *reasons*, and the God of Fate is entirely done with all this denying fate nonsense and tut tutting everything back together with lightning bolts. Could be a fun story. But I have no idea what the story of Eldraine was supposed to be either other than "a shapeshifting elf twink kidnaps the king and his kids have to go find him; presumably hijinks ensue".

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Lol did y'all see that new green card, it kills a god at instant speed for 1 mana, very cool

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

the Orb of Zot posted:

code:
G
Instant.   U

Wasn't expecting a cheaper Unravel the Aether that cant hit artifacts, but ok.

https://scryfall.com/card/bng/143/unravel-the-aether

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So the gods are fighting and pulling the dead out of Not Hades to foreverially enchantmentize into immortal heros, their Titan forebears are loosed for *reasons*, and the God of Fate is entirely done with all this denying fate nonsense and tut tutting everything back together with lightning bolts. Could be a fun story. But I have no idea what the story of Eldraine was supposed to be either other than "a shapeshifting elf twink kidnaps the king and his kids have to go find him; presumably hijinks ensue".

*faerie twink

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

There's a book and it basically is that but also Garruk falls into the Cauldron of Eternity and that cures the chain veil curse.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
wasn't that the book where chandra was into BUFF MEN

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Kurtofan posted:

wasn't that the book where chandra was into BUFF MEN

no, that was the follow up to the WAR book. The throne book is completely different and contains no gatewatch members.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Splashable black targetted discard. 2 mana is a lot, but it does exile and hit gys too.

Doesn't really deal with a cauldron familiar, but it does make them move it out of the graveyard before it resolves and without turning into an 0 for 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Considering how the format looks like it's going, this isn't dead late game, which is a pretty good upgrade