Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

redreader posted:

Cooks don't just work as waiters because often the waiters are white and more educated and more able to speak English and often better looking than average. Some places only employ waitresses i.e. women. If you're none of those things then it'll be a lot harder to get a customer facing / tipping restaurant job.
Yeah also FYI but not everyone working in a restaurant can be a loving waiter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

You know what’s funny about camping finance laws? They don’t matter and never have.

That’s centrists final tactic and it’s hilarious.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

More good news for mayor Pete:

https://twitter.com/AJentleson/status/1214957515949117442?s=19

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Pete’s reaction to the accusations of him protecting racist police should have set off giant red flags.

But of course it was promptly memory holed in the media narrative. I kind of hope this doesn’t sink him yet though. He needs to keep siphoning votes from Biden through the first few primaries.

I can’t see the type of person who supports Butterbar turning on him for this, though. They were already the anti-busing/“personal responsibility” crowd when it comes to race relations.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

Gyges posted:

I think it's more that the polling is showing Bernie in a real good place, the DNC politicos circulating emails about Bernie can win, and continuing complaints online about the blackout.

The very smart talking heads then realized they'd never actually said Bernie could win. So they're going to fix that real quick. After all, part of the secret to never being held to account for being a wrong dumbass is using your lack of insight and principles to hold as many positions as possible.

This is basically my theory as well. They have obviously known for a while that Bernie polls consistently in the top 3, but likely honestly thought (because “expert” establishment Dem sources told them so) that Bernie would eventually flame out. Fast forward to today with less than a month to go and Bernie is still clearly in it; some of those expert sources are getting rattled, and now you’re finally getting the hot “Bernie might actually win!” takes.

The moral of the story is that most political news is not an actual analysis of facts at all, but almost purely a regurgitation of the thoughts and feelings of establishment campaign managers and sources. And of course some of those people are STILL insisting Bernie has no chance :rolleyes:

Jay-V fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 8, 2020

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Yeah also FYI but not everyone working in a restaurant can be a loving waiter?

I know most goons work in data, but I'm in the restaurant industry. The amount of dumb poo poo said about my career (as awful as it can be) is insane. Yes servers get a decent amount of money. But it's less than it should be. Everyone in a restaurant besides the owners get paid too little.
Saying that servers make too much money is a bunch of crab bucketing, because
-they honest-to-God make way less than you think. It's almost literally contract work and they usually end up owing thousands of dollars in taxes at the end of the year, and good luck managing money when you get paid cash daily
-they don't have a single benefit
-their 'light' schedule is usually because it's a second job, because they don't make much money or also because they're in school scraping by
-additionally, their crack-of-Dawn or at-work-till-2am schedule makes any sort of normal society life impossible

Raise the minimum wage, have free healthcare for all people in this country, get some proper labor laws for restaurant workers, get unions for staff, but God drat stop just making GBS threads on servers all the time like they're some sort of welfare queen.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Seriously this is pathetic.

https://twitter.com/davelevinthal/status/1214725513060724741

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Mike the TV posted:

I know most goons work in data, but I'm in the restaurant industry. The amount of dumb poo poo said about my career (as awful as it can be) is insane. Yes servers get a decent amount of money. But it's less than it should be. Everyone in a restaurant besides the owners get paid too little.
-they honest-to-God make way less than you think. It's almost literally contract work and they usually end up owing thousands of dollars in taxes at the end of the year, and good luck managing money when you get paid cash daily
-their 'light' schedule is usually because it's a second job, because they don't make much money or also because they're in school scraping by
-additionally, their crack-of-Dawn or at-work-till-2am schedule makes any sort of normal society life impossible

Raise the minimum wage, have free healthcare for all people in this country, get some proper labor laws for restaurant workers, get unions for staff, but God drat stop just making GBS threads on servers all the time like they're some sort of welfare queen.

I’ve wondered recently if it’s better to tip via the card or to tip via cash. Which one is generally preferred by a server?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Louis Winthorp at NYSE: "BUY BERNIE FOR 2020!"
Hundreds of bernie bros: *incoherent shouting while throwing money at Bernie*
Stooge hired by billionaires to rig the thing: *ineffective flailing before passing out*

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
the biden campaign has a new adversary:

rude 10 year olds

https://twitter.com/TheeSweetT/status/1214321121019006976

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Concerned Citizen posted:

the biden campaign has a new adversary:

rude 10 year olds

https://twitter.com/TheeSweetT/status/1214321121019006976

How does someone end up this pathetic?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Why would he get a bounce and drop? Sanders has very high recognition. Love him or hate him, pretty much everyone already has a good idea of who he is and what he's about.

As the Our Revolution smear shows, they will just imply things even if it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Media literacy is practically non-existent in the US.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The our revolution smear may actually stick.

There’s also a rumoured 1972 essay he wrote about rape fantasies that might get pulled out.

Part of me wonders if the plan here is to get everyone’s attention on Bernie with a “he might win” narrative, raise him high in the polls and while he has the spotlight you drop a one two punch of campaign finance violations and rape fantasies to shut him down a week before Iowa.

If none of that works the Dems might be expecting a McGovern or Mondale style blowout where the “competent adults in the room” take back the party and shackle AOC into a closet somewhere.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

There is a wonderful side note to this story: the author wrote a harsh critique of Buttigieg earlier last year, and Pete ended up calling the guy.

I look forward to his response now, as it is a matter of public record that he can directly contact this author.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Kraftwerk posted:

There’s also a rumoured 1972 essay he wrote about rape fantasies that might get pulled out.

Part of me wonders if the plan here is to get everyone’s attention on Bernie with a “he might win” narrative, raise him high in the polls and while he has the spotlight you drop a one two punch of campaign finance violations and rape fantasies to shut him down a week before Iowa.

If none of that works the Dems might be expecting a McGovern or Mondale style blowout where the “competent adults in the room” take back the party and shackle AOC into a closet somewhere.

Haha, no, the AP article about an article written last February about Our Revolution being a shady place where Bernie might be sidling up to big money donors is not going to stick. They have no evidence of anything and in fact their entire argument hinges on their lack of evidence. "We don't know that he's NOT breaking the law!"

Also they've tried to bring up that essay repeatedly and each time no one has cared.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mike the TV posted:

You're not including the bartender end of this equation, who tend to make the most money and are at the top of the service totem pole outside of the owners.

Also, I don't think I know a single person in the service industry that pays anywhere near actual taxes, and I know mostly everyone around me. The take home for (downtown) bartenders (at a moderate to decently busy bar or restaurant) is 60k+ and they only pay the slightest taxes on that and don't report anything above the min. So they essentially make the equivalent of someone making 80k+ a year on salary in different careers.

This changes a lot when you get more and more rural, as there is a huge shift in tip-outs and amount of customers. Working at Applebees 20 miles out of the city is worlds different than trendy new restaurant downtown, which is also how you get WILDLY different opinions on minimum wage/tipping from the service industry.

A couple of new restaurants did start near me that offer 50k or so plus insurance starting salary for servers, and they are doing well, but they are also really trendy from owners who own other already successful, trendy restaurants.

As for the wide discussion, Bernie does get a lot of the 100k voters; our downtown and upper middle class suburb downtown voters voted for Bernie as that is the demographic of 30 - 40 college educated tech people in more volatile tech jobs (that can be fired at any time) - it's when you get to around 200+k that it shifts huge right because those are the upper management people that move out to the middle of bumfuck nowhere upper class suburb to get away from everyone, and that's where the red vote appears in cities.

There are a lot of voting maps available in recent years and Bernie primary/Hillary general are always super downtown focused; even comparing suburbs with downtowns to those that don't have them you'll see that the closer to any downtown, the further left the voting is.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Darko posted:

You're not including the bartender end of this equation, who tend to make the most money and are at the top of the service totem pole outside of the owners.

Also, I don't think I know a single person in the service industry that pays anywhere near actual taxes, and I know mostly everyone around me. The take home for (downtown) bartenders (at a moderate to decently busy bar or restaurant) is 60k+ and they only pay the slightest taxes on that and don't report anything above the min. So they essentially make the equivalent of someone making 80k+ a year on salary in different careers.

This changes a lot when you get more and more rural, as there is a huge shift in tip-outs and amount of customers. Working at Applebees 20 miles out of the city is worlds different than trendy new restaurant downtown, which is also how you get WILDLY different opinions on minimum wage/tipping from the service industry.

A couple of new restaurants did start near me that offer 50k or so plus insurance starting salary for servers, and they are doing well, but they are also really trendy from owners who own other already successful, trendy restaurants.

As for the wide discussion, Bernie does get a lot of the 100k voters; our downtown and upper middle class suburb downtown voters voted for Bernie as that is the demographic of 30 - 40 college educated tech people in more volatile tech jobs (that can be fired at any time) - it's when you get to around 200+k that it shifts huge right because those are the upper management people that move out to the middle of bumfuck nowhere upper class suburb to get away from everyone, and that's where the red vote appears in cities.

There are a lot of voting maps available in recent years and Bernie primary/Hillary general are always super downtown focused; even comparing suburbs with downtowns to those that don't have them you'll see that the closer to any downtown, the further left the voting is.

just want to point out that pretty much everyone pays with cards now which makes this impossible.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

No one cares about the nuances of campaign finance law especially over something as vague as "sanders should be listed as a founder but he is not".

quote:

That's the same one they brought up in 2016 and was vastly overblown then too:

https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/05/29/410606045/the-bernie-sanders-rape-fantasy-essay-explained

quote:

The Sanders campaign quickly tried to distance itself — and the candidate — from the 43-year-old essay. Campaign spokesman Michael Briggs called the essay a "dumb attempt at dark satire in an alternative publication" in an interview with CNN, adding that it "in no way reflects his views or record on women." He added, "It was intended to attack gender stereotypes of the '70s, but it looks as stupid today as it was then."

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mike the TV posted:

I'd like to add onto this that unlike office jobs we do actual work from start to finish. All my friends who live in cubicles gently caress around for 3-4 hours daily dispersed across their working day. In a restaurant if you come in at 4 PM and work until 10 PM/12 AM you're going to be pretty much working constantly from clock in to clock out. If there's an extended break you're probably being sent home.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

kidkissinger posted:

just want to point out that pretty much everyone pays with cards now which makes this impossible.

Many/most restaurants/bars of the type I'm referring to fudge the reporting to retain better talent, and the bartenders just keep any cash besides what they tip out to barbacks/security. Especially with clubs and college areas, cash weighs higher than normal, and they end up paying approximately a little more than min wage worth of (edit, whoops) taxes.

edit: Also the difference between high volume downtown and rural service industry. Source: I worked in several bars and was also a co-owner of a bar-resident restaurant.

Darko fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 8, 2020

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Where the gently caress is this 'servers make decent living wage' nonsense coming from? I busted tables for a good five years and barely made enough to scrape by, it's an extremely rocky gig with no security whatsoever when all your income is built around tips, day/night shift scheduling and weekdays vs weekends.

It's also heavily stacked in a woman's favor; there are loads of chuds out there who easily tip double what you'll get with your best service just for being there most nights, especially at any type of bar. If you're just a dude trying to make ends meet you are SOL 90% of the time, I do not miss that work one bit.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Americans are conditioned to assume that everyone else is doing better than they are. It's just those Lucky Ducky comics but instead of a rich tycoon assuming that poverty is somehow freeing it's goons claiming that AOC could have been pulling in $80k/yr if she'd really thrown herself into her bartending work.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Mike the TV posted:

That's great but if you go back a bit in this thread there was a post that was basically "why don't the cooks just become waitstaff if they want those tips so bad and I was responding to that particular take, which is dumb as hell. I am not making GBS threads on servers like they're welfare queens or whatever, but rather pointing out the absurdity of all the cooks becoming servers. You work in the restaurant industry so you're probably aware that the restaurant would cease to function if that were to somehow happen.

This is the post:

Mike the TV posted:

Ok so why didn't the kitchen staff quit and become servers if it was so much better, and obviously much easier? Restaurants in the US have their own class weirdness, but blaming someone else living paycheck to paycheck is wrong. The real answer is to blame the owners that make most is the profit while living in their mansion in Florida.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Our Revolution may not be an international cybercrime ring, but they did cybercrime-adjacent tropes. When will the Sanders campaign denounce this?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Americans are conditioned to assume that everyone else is doing better than they are. It's just those Lucky Ducky comics but instead of a rich tycoon assuming that poverty is somehow freeing it's goons claiming that AOC could have been pulling in $80k/yr if she'd really thrown herself into her bartending work.

Wait, is Coyote Ugly not a documentary about how The Squad formed?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

That's great but if you go back a bit in this thread there was a post that was basically "why don't the cooks just become waitstaff if they want those tips so bad and I was responding to that particular take, which is dumb as hell. I am not making GBS threads on servers like they're welfare queens or whatever, but rather pointing out the absurdity of all the cooks becoming servers. You work in the restaurant industry so you're probably aware that the restaurant would cease to function if that were to somehow happen.

This is the post:

Yes, it was a sarcastic response to "line cooks get paid poo poo, servers make all the money" and my second post explains that the problem is that no one makes enough money. No, I am not actually suggesting that cooks all quit and become servers. Instead, I would (and often do in my workplace) advocate for higher wages across the board.

But this is all a dumb derail, so apologies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It reads exactly like John Stoltenberg.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Parrotine posted:

Where the gently caress is this 'servers make decent living wage' nonsense coming from? I busted tables for a good five years and barely made enough to scrape by, it's an extremely rocky gig with no security whatsoever when all your income is built around tips, day/night shift scheduling and weekdays vs weekends.

"Well I just tipped 15 dollars on this $60 meal! Multiply that by the 4 or 5 tables they do an hour and they're making mad bank!"

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
If you followed the thread, it was me providing an anecdote from my partner a former line cook about how her fellow cooks would crabbucket the servers and idolize their owner chef, demonstrating their complete lack of class consciousness.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

God drat stop just making GBS threads on servers all the time like they're some sort of welfare queen.

No one did this hth

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

gently caress guys... one of my coworkers was on that plane. She’s dead.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Assuming this is a wrong thread post and you're talking about the iran flight, I'm really sorry to hear that

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Kraftwerk posted:

Really sorry to hear :(

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm so sorry, Kraft

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

:(

sorry, that's a mindfuck

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I don’t wanna derail any further. She was 31 and an extremely bubbly and nice person. By sheer coincidence she also happened to live in the same building as me for a while. She didn’t deserve to die. I hope that plane crash was an accident.

A former coworker of mine from another company lost his entire family on that flight. Wife. Kids. Everyone. He has to fly to Iran to pick up the bodies of his family now.

I never wanted a war in the Middle East but seeing this accident hit so close to home has made me want it even less. There’s people in Iran who have hopes and dreams of a simple decent life like all the people we fight for in this campaign. We don’t need to be spreading death and violence just so big orange can satisfy his ego. I really hope all this conflict comes to an end now.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 8, 2020

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

jesus

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
that's awful

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Kraftwerk posted:

I don’t wanna derail any further. She was 31 and an extremely bubbly and nice person. By sheer coincidence she also happened to live in the same building as me for a while. She didn’t deserve to die. I hope that plane crash was an accident.

A former coworker of mine from another company lost his entire family on that flight. Wife. Kids. Everyone. He has to fly to Iran to pick up the bodies of his family now.

I never wanted a war in the Middle East but seeing this accident hit so close to home has made me want it even less. There’s people in Iran who have hopes and dreams of a simple decent life like all the people we fight for in this campaign. We don’t need to be spreading death and violence just so big orange can satisfy his ego. I really hope all this conflict comes to an end now.

Peace be with you and yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Trump's campaign twitter (TRUMP WAR ROOM) has been relentlessly attacking Bernie the last few days and no one else, for whatever that's worth