Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:itwaspoo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
lynch as a spice harvester shift manager in that scene gets my goat hard

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

pussy magic

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
┏━━┓┏━━┓┏━━┓┏━━┓
┗━┓┃┃┏┓┃┗━┓┃┃┏┓┃
┏━┛┃┃┃┃┃┏━┛┃┃┃┃┃
-🌔🌔------------- D U N E -----------🐛🏜️-
┃┏━┛┃┃┃┃┃┏━┛┃┃┃┃
┃┗━┓┃┗┛┃┃┗━┓┃┗┛┃
┗━━┛┗━━┛┗━━┛┗━━┛

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/bobby/status/1212240544254119941

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

"sometimes when i get nervous, I put my hands underneath my armpits..."

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Don't much care for Lynch Dune but this is pr cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFTS5-cIHgQ

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

that was awesome thanks for sharing in this, the best thread on SA, inshallah

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

vivisectvnv posted:

that was awesome thanks for sharing in this, the best thread on SA, inshallah

inshallah means "if god wills it," so it's used for future events. if a thing is already done, you say mashallah in gratitude, ie "god willed it"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

let me tell you kids about the best book in the dune extended universe: the holy Qur'an

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

that's Sean Young's personal youtube account and there is a lot of cool poo poo on there. I feel bad about how things went down for her.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

let me tell you kids about the best book in the dune extended universe: the holy Qur'an
The Qur'an is far from the worst book ever published, but there is no such thing as a Extended Universe for Dune. :colbert:

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Any insight in to the only explicitly named passage I can recall, "467 Kalima: From water does all life begin" In Yueh's OC bible? From context it seems like "Kalima" could have several meanings - it could be a book within the larger OC bible, or it could be that all OC bible passages are called Kalima, and this is the 467th one overall. In actual Islam, according to my brief research, the Kalima are six short passages, which don't appear explicitly in the Qur'an but are, taken together, a quick statement of the major pillars of Islamic faith.

If there's a passage that begins similarly to "From water does all life begin," I'd like to know how it continues. Yueh wants Paul to read starting from there, but he opens to Wanna's passage instead and we never get to hear the rest of what Yueh actually wanted him to read.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Missing the obvious

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Missing the obvious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gB-Vcyrk8s

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

D. Ebdrup posted:

The Qur'an is far from the worst book ever published, but there is no such thing as a Extended Universe for Dune. :colbert:

Someone's never read the Encyclopedia

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

D. Ebdrup posted:

The Quran reads like an autobiography by Kanye, I'm no superfan of christianity but nobody can deny Jesus had some dope rear end editors.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Someone's never read the Encyclopedia
I admit, it's been more than a decade plus a lot of chemo-brain since I read it. :sigh:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Need that post about Frank Herbert ordering the pumpkin spice latte

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Need that post about Frank Herbert ordering the pumpkin spice latte

Ramc posted:

It was fall again, and with the changing of the leaves the ancient Frank Herbert dared.

Braving the teeming water-fat masses of the outside world he made his way and at altar of the fish-wife goddess he made his demands of the barista.

"The spice." he hissed, his voice a dusty rasp, almost a whisper. "It must flow."

The servant prepared his beverage- the spice coffee- and the cinnamon and nutmeg smell of melange teased his nostrils.

"So, uh, sir, do you want your senior discount?" the barista inquired

"The geriatric discount??"

"Uh, yeah, so that's ten cents off..."

"Ah-h-h-h" Frank smiled in triumph, producing- just as he had foreseen- an additional coupon and slid it across the counter.

Deals within deals...

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
this is gonna suck shiiiit

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The female leads are even better

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I can't be confident before knowing if Feyd is in or not.

And played by whom.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

THE BAR posted:

I can't be confident before knowing if Feyd is in or not.

And played by whom.

Ed Skrein is beautiful enough to pull it off I'd wager.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I want Darren Criss.

I also want him to play Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I am extremely down with Javier Bardem as Stilgar

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

shame on an IGA posted:

Yeah. The casting is great and I like him in particular.

Plus I hope no matter how brutalistic the film gets aesthetic-wise that Feyd is still glam as hell. It just fits.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Lol imagine if Dennis tries to pull his big Star Wars move...

As Baron sends Beast Rabban to Dune -

Piter: "That boy is our last hope."

Baron: "No...there is another...”

End credits.

Then the second part (which we’ll never get because the first one will flop) would open with Feyd on the arena.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

shame on an IGA posted:

I can already picture him spitting on the table.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Guild Banker: It is said that the Fremen scum drink the blood of their own dead!

Stilgar: (sighs) You don't know what you're talking about do you? (sets water counter on table)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it's a catch 22

If the first half flops we may not get the second

If it's successful, HOLLYWOOD will decide we need a prequel trilogy but this crew will entirely refuse to direct it and @duneauthor will write the screenplay and LORD CYBER T-REX will be played by Nicolas Cage

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's got the Warner distribution arm behind it, same as 2049. In many ways 2049 was a test case for how to market expensive, heady, archaic sci-fi poo poo to the masses.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

The Bloop posted:

LORD CYBER T-REX will be played by Nicolas Cage

You realize you're making the best possible case for LORD CYBERTREX?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

wait, its a two parter??

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Ed Sheehan as Feyd. The final showdown is a song contest.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I dont know posted:

You realize you're making the best possible case for LORD CYBERTREX?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Bloop posted:

it's a catch 22

If the first half flops we may not get the second

If it's successful, HOLLYWOOD will decide we need a prequel trilogy but this crew will entirely refuse to direct it and @duneauthor will write the screenplay and LORD CYBER T-REX will be played by Nicolas Cage

Better than mashing two movies into one and creating an inferior product like Ender's Game

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Also, agreed with the dinner scene, it blew my mind when I was younger. I always used to think that it was that particular scene, its sort of nexus of complexity, that was both essential but also unfilmable. We'll see what Villanueve does with it!

https://youtu.be/qLblwVUEHyw

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

wait, its a two parter??

It kind of has to be. They're already laying the groundwork for Part 2 but won't start full time development and production until they see how successful the first part is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TK-42-1 posted:

wait, its a two parter??

Yes. Part 2 is in pre-production and part 1 is in post atm. They are being made sequentially rather than concurrently (as has been the trend with fantasy epics since LOTR)

"That’s the plan. There’s a backstory that was hinted at in some of the books [that we expanded]. Also, when you read the book there’s a logical place to stop the movie before the book is over.”

"“Dune’ will probably take two years to make,” Villeneuve said. “The goal is to make two films, maybe more.”