Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Julius CSAR posted:

I got Disney+ so I've been watching a lot of like, Seasons 5-8 and the poo poo is real good. First one I watched was "The City of New York vs Homer Simpson" and I was like "I forgot how funny this show was" Barney trying to be a DD then the fuckin' Duff Party Bus shows up lol

I watched "Bart Sells His Soul" and "22 Short Films About Springfield" (aka the steamed hams episode) today. So loving funny, but also sad when you think about what the show eventually became.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I pretty much only have Disney+ for the Simpsons at this point.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
A friend of mine had never really seen any of the show except bits and pieces and she saw the movie at some point. I talked her into watching the classic seasons. She started from the beginning and made it about halfway into season 2, but thought it was good but nothing special.

So I started hand picking episodes for her up to season 8 and she now acknowledges that it was really good and really funny, but still prefers Bob’s Burgers. She said it’s mainly because of the occasional mean spirited humor and tone. Bob’s Burgers is never mean spirited or dark which is why she likes it. I’ve never thought of the classic episodes in that way so it’s interesting to see them through the filter of someone seeing them for the first time in 2020.

Also whenever I go through the classic episodes every few years I find myself noticing different things about the classic era. One thing that really stands out compared to Bob’s Burgers and most modern comedies is how classic Simpsons was always changing up the tone. Some episodes are very grounded and character driven and others are much more wacky. All in all the classic era is an even mix of every type of humor (including mean spirited and dark) and still manages to often be charming and heartwarming and for that alone it will forever be more interesting than Bob’s Burgers which is 9 seasons of the exact same type of episode.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I checked out of Bob's in about season 5, I did watch the first 3 quite a bit though.

It has a weird charm people that grew up poor-ish probably appreciate more than most.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

YeahTubaMike posted:

but also sad when you think about what the show eventually became.

This is pretty much why modern simpsons is so offensively bad

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

A friend of mine had never really seen any of the show except bits and pieces and she saw the movie at some point. I talked her into watching the classic seasons. She started from the beginning and made it about halfway into season 2, but thought it was good but nothing special.

So I started hand picking episodes for her up to season 8 and she now acknowledges that it was really good and really funny, but still prefers Bob’s Burgers. She said it’s mainly because of the occasional mean spirited humor and tone. Bob’s Burgers is never mean spirited or dark which is why she likes it. I’ve never thought of the classic episodes in that way so it’s interesting to see them through the filter of someone seeing them for the first time in 2020.

Also whenever I go through the classic episodes every few years I find myself noticing different things about the classic era. One thing that really stands out compared to Bob’s Burgers and most modern comedies is how classic Simpsons was always changing up the tone. Some episodes are very grounded and character driven and others are much more wacky. All in all the classic era is an even mix of every type of humor (including mean spirited and dark) and still manages to often be charming and heartwarming and for that alone it will forever be more interesting than Bob’s Burgers which is 9 seasons of the exact same type of episode.

BB is good and has been the best Fox animated show pretty much every year it's existed but it's almost a little too sweet; it'll never be quite as good as simpsons 2-8 because it lacks the satirical edge.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
BB is consistently funny, weird, and earnest without being cloying. All the characters are strongly defined which means the writers can churn out consistent stories but also that those stories can get a bit predictable. It also means it probably won't ever have the highs of classic Simpsons but at the same time their Season 30 won't be a ridiculous shambling shadow of its former self either.

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

Hey guys if you wanna laugh at me, I've been so bored at my office lately that I've begun writing a screenplay for an episode of The Simpsons

It will be a laugh riot and as successful as the Zybourne Clock, Slenderman or a modern episode of The Simpsons

Please make fun of me now.

Definitely post it in here when you're done.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I went from thinking Bob’s Burgers was the funniest family comedy in years to just practically wretching when I hear Louise’s voice. The show started to get stale around S5. I feel like Eugene Mirman has range but Kristen Schaal is incredibly one note and that note falls very flat for me. Whenever she guests on another show it’s guaranteed to be the worst episode of the season as her shrill & quirky character does something “wacky” with zero comedic impact.

Also I don’t understand her take of “BB is never mean spirited” like the show just shits on people constantly, it’s actually an incredibly realistic portrayal of New Jersey. Any episode that starts with Bob or the family getting something new and nice always ends with the episode ending by taking it away so they are always poor and always struggling. That hurts a lot, honestly.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I hate that kind of “comedy” when a person or family gets a big break from being destitute and whoops hahahaha they’re poor again at the end of the episode!

If you’ve ever lived through a period of a total lack of class mobility this strikes wayyy too close to home to be funny.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I hate that kind of “comedy” when a person or family gets a big break from being destitute and whoops hahahaha they’re poor again at the end of the episode!

If you’ve ever lived through a period of a total lack of class mobility this strikes wayyy too close to home to be funny.

Just look at what happens to people who come into money too fast:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

It does but also they just become kind of contrived. And the necessity of the show/plot means that their poverty also never feels entirely real. Like I appreciate a person's commitment to their morals but it'd be really lovely IRL to resign your kids to poverty because you didn't want a tiki themed restaurant.

They aren't constantly going on vacation but they actually always are able to find money where they need it. Because they're 10 seasons in and the restaurant is mostly stale they invent stupid excuses for them to 'close for a few hours' in the middle of the day. I don't expect a lot of realism from my cartoons but like you said as a Grew Up More maybe I"m sensitive to it.

Also BB has moved most of the songs from relevant and in-episode to "never heard before until the end credits," which isn't nearly as good. I assume it's a cost or syndication thing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You can’t even give them a nice new couch? That episode chafed me so badly. Just let them have one nice thing Jesus.

Also teeny has been going through puberty for like 8 years at this point. Her weird hybrid horse/zombie hormones was a comedy goldmine but now she’s just a butt girl and that’s like 1,000x less funny.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

You can’t even give them a nice new couch? That episode chafed me so badly. Just let them have one nice thing Jesus.

That episode may have been the point I stopped considering Bob's Burgers appointment viewing. It was right about the time I started to think the formula of the show was getting stale, and it was like that episode was calibrated to tell you "It'll never be anything other than this."

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I don't really care to catch new episodes of Bob's Burgers anymore but sometimes I rewatch some of my older faves and they hold up. It's a nice show.

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

Ritznit posted:

I don't really care to catch new episodes of Bob's Burgers anymore but sometimes I rewatch some of my older faves and they hold up. It's a nice show.
A lot of the older episodes are still fun to rewatch. The new ones are... forgettable, I think, considering I caught up on some new ones last week and right now I can't remember what the plots were.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
That couch episode was really bad, yeah. As was the one where they theme the restaurant as a tiki bar and it becomes a success. Overall though I would say Bob's Burgers is a very positive and non-mean show. People on the show are rarely ever bad or have truly evil intent. I mean they even make friends with the guy who robs their restaurant.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Bob's Burgers, and I admire their absolute determination to never change up the formula or the status quo. But it definitely means that the entire series is a forgettable foggy haze with no real highs or lows. I feel similarly about most of King of the Hill's run.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Justin Godscock posted:

What I will always remember about the Ren & Stimpy reboot is that it was so aggressively bad it actually killed off John K's fanbase once and for all.

Then he was outed as a pedo with CP on his computer that groomed his young fans so gently caress him.

What I remember was looking forward to the reboot like a 5-year-old waiting for Christmas, sitting down with friends to watch the first episode, and by the end we were absolutely horrified.

I will say this, though: the episode with Ralph Bakshi in it has a scene in it where he suddenly bolts upright from his slovenly shithole bed and he has this absolutely 1,000 yard stare in that hyper-detailed style for a few seconds...

AUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!

CIRCUS MIDGETS!

He then proceeds to wreck his apartment with a fireaxe while screaming like a lunatic.

I still cackle like a madman when I see it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There's that episode in the first season where Louise ruthlessly exploits her classmates. I'd say it's fairly meanspirited. Does she mellow out as the series progresses?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No, Louise is literally always just a screaming brat who completely epitomizes wacky manic energy and violence and you need literally the entire rest of the cast to be extremely mellow to balance it out.

I think King of the Hill is very similar to Simpson’s, I did a S1-S8 rewatch and just adored it, remembered a ton of the gags from syndication, but as soon as Lucky shows up
I lose all steam and just cannot keep going.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

No, Louise is literally always just a screaming brat who completely epitomizes wacky manic energy and violence and you need literally the entire rest of the cast to be extremely mellow to balance it out.

I think King of the Hill is very similar to Simpson’s, I did a S1-S8 rewatch and just adored it, remembered a ton of the gags from syndication, but as soon as Lucky shows up
I lose all steam and just cannot keep going.

That and Bobby and Peggy were turning into loving caricatures of their former selves. Bobby, the kinda slow blob, was now wacky crazy zany! Peggy, the boggle champ who was a tad arrogant, you would want to beat upside the head with a golf club if you met her in real life.

I mean it just made you want to say BWAHHHH!!

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Daikloktos posted:

I've seen all 670+ episodes, and I have strong opinions about how the show is slightly more tolerable the past few seasons than it was a decade ago

I don't think my brain can process the idea that Simpsons a decade ago could've possibly been worse than Homer Votes 2016 or George Costanza's Social Justice Robot Students

Current Simpsons is so bad that when I post clips of it to my friends they break down and plead for me to stop, what the gently caress was it like a decade ago

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

CHEF!!! posted:

That and Bobby and Peggy were turning into loving caricatures of their former selves. Bobby, the kinda slow blob, was now wacky crazy zany! Peggy, the boggle champ who was a tad arrogant, you would want to beat upside the head with a golf club if you met her in real life.

I mean it just made you want to say BWAHHHH!!

It wasn’t really until my rewatch that I saw that Peggy was always awful. She’s a lying gladhand self-aggrandizing braggart and she really doesn’t get suitable come-uppance until later in the show.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

It wasn’t really until my rewatch that I saw that Peggy was always awful. She’s a lying gladhand self-aggrandizing braggart and she really doesn’t get suitable come-uppance until later in the show.

Yeah, she never was my favorite character, but hopefully we can agree that she was... tolerable in the earlier seasons.

But I grew up in small town East Texas, am 6'6" with brown hair, played high school football (wide receiver), used to wear glasses, used to smoke but not anymore, had a childhood friend who looked just like Bobby, will say y'all until the day I die, so saying that show hit close to home for me is like saying water is wet. I knew people like pretty much everyone in that show. Depressed bald guy, check. Dang-ol-Boomhauer, dang ol' I tell you what dang ol' it's a show about nothing, check. Tall brown haired guy with a small rear end? See one every time I look in the mirror. Hot blonde woman whom you know is going to wind up in a trailer park, check. Grizzled old grandpa who you know deep down in your bones could eat you alive in a fight even though he's 4 times your age? Check. I could go on and on. :)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Lucky's great. It's too bad Tom Petty and Brittany Murphy died so they can't be in a reboot if it ever happens.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Lucky's great. It's too bad Tom Petty and Brittany Murphy died so they can't be in a reboot if it ever happens.

Yeah, hopefully Tom Petty is slipping on peepee at the Costco up in heaven and Brittany Murphy... isn't getting pneumonia and dying. :(

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Ad by Khad posted:

I don't think my brain can process the idea that Simpsons a decade ago could've possibly been worse than Homer Votes 2016 or George Costanza's Social Justice Robot Students

Current Simpsons is so bad that when I post clips of it to my friends they break down and plead for me to stop, what the gently caress was it like a decade ago

Moe Letter Blues
Homer, Reverend Lovejoy and Apu Nahasapeemapetilon receive a letter from Moe that states he will steal one of their wives. The three get together and try to remember intimate moments between Moe and their wives.
Guest Star: Don Pardo

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

CHEF!!! posted:

What I remember was looking forward to the reboot like a 5-year-old waiting for Christmas, sitting down with friends to watch the first episode, and by the end we were absolutely horrified.

it's the only time I've been retroactively angry about a show and felt like my childhood was ruined (but it wasn't and I stopped being an idiot baby but you know what didn't stop being an idiot baby? that reboot)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

pooch516 posted:

Moe Letter Blues
Homer, Reverend Lovejoy and Apu Nahasapeemapetilon receive a letter from Moe that states he will steal one of their wives. The three get together and try to remember intimate moments between Moe and their wives.

No you're thinking of someone stealing three men's knives

Edit: just now realizing that that quote is from bad Simpsons

ikanreed fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 8, 2020

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ikanreed posted:

No you're thinking of someone stealing three men's knives

Edit: just now realizing that that quote is from bad Simpsons

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CHEF!!! posted:

I will say this, though: the episode with Ralph Bakshi in it has a scene in it where he suddenly bolts upright from his slovenly shithole bed and he has this absolutely 1,000 yard stare in that hyper-detailed style for a few seconds...

AUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!

CIRCUS MIDGETS!

He then proceeds to wreck his apartment with a fireaxe while screaming like a lunatic.

I still cackle like a madman when I see it.

I was a part of some small site's forum back before the revival came back, and even was picked by username by John K (I'm a guy, so it wasn't a creepy thing I think) to get some episodes before they aired.

They were dire. The only joke I remember liking was one of the last ones they made. Something about them pulling up to someone in a car and pulling a gun on the driver. The driver freaks out, and rolls up his window to try to shield himself from the bullet. That's the only joke like 20 years later from the revival that made me laugh that I can remember.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Peggy did nothing wrong. :colbert:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
John K and Justin Roiland are both great examples of some genius needing to be bridled and restrained so that we only get the gems and not an endless cascade of pedophilia

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

pooch516 posted:

Moe Letter Blues

Oh god it's real

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

It's always real.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
My favorite entry to play that game with is

What Animated Women Want
Homer takes a page from 50 Shades of Grey and decides that a sadomasochistic relationship with Marge is the way to go. Meanwhile, Milhouse uses Marlon Brando's ghost to get advice on how to impress Lisa.
Guest star: Wanda Sykes and George Takei

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Daikloktos posted:

My favorite entry to play that game with is

What Animated Women Want
Homer takes a page from 50 Shades of Grey and decides that a sadomasochistic relationship with Marge is the way to go. Meanwhile, Milhouse uses Marlon Brando's ghost to get advice on how to impress Lisa.
Guest star: Wanda Sykes and George Takei

I don't really have the proper language for this feeling other than to say "this hurts to read"

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I'm certain that no matter how bad my script treatment will be, it still couldn't be this bad even if I was actually trying

[CHARACTER][VERB][CHARACTER] and is going to [VERB][CHARACTER]'s[NOUN]. Meanwhile, [CHARACTER] gets a [NOUN] from [CHARACTER] and has to [VERB].

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 9, 2020

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Groundskeeper hits Marge and is going to shoot Lisa's piggy bank. Meanwhile, Moe gets a dog from Krusty and has to become a trampoline artist.

Nope, still more sensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Toxic Mental posted:

I'm certain that no matter how bad my script treatment will be, it still couldn't be this bad even if I was actually trying

[CHARACTER][VERB][CHARACTER] and is going to [VERB][CHARACTER]'s[NOUN]. Meanwhile, [CHARACTER] gets a [NOUN] from [CHARACTER] and has to [VERB].

Milhouse beats Homer at an eating contest and is going to steal Maggie’s crib. Meanwhile, Otto gets a rare poodle from Mayor Quimby and has to start a dog sitting business.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 9, 2020