Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BUG JUG posted:

Forum current event: what the gently caress is going on with CSPAM? Write your reply in the form of a brief the CiC can understand.

A nazi was modding D&D and was banning some CSPAM posters. Several posters got discord logs/screen shots of the nazi saying nazi things on the nazi discord. These people were permabanned for "doxxing" and "mod sass". The nazi mod eventually put up this "defense" which was basically that they were totally an undercover spy guys, all the nazi stuff was just ironic to fit in. Because you know, you can't just idle and lurk on a discord for forever. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909802

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
This level of counterintelligence incompetence would make NSA WIZARD blush by proximity.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

hobbesmaster posted:

A nazi was modding D&D and was banning some CSPAM posters. Several posters got discord logs/screen shots of the nazi saying nazi things on the nazi discord. These people were permabanned for "doxxing" and "mod sass". The nazi mod eventually put up this "defense" which was basically that they were totally an undercover spy guys, all the nazi stuff was just ironic to fit in. Because you know, you can't just idle and lurk on a discord for forever. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909802

Funnily enough I actually think that PPJ's explanation makes more sense than him secretly being a Nazi all along.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Funnily enough I actually think that PPJ's explanation makes more sense than him secretly being a Nazi all along.

Then you haven't internalized the lesson of FYAD.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

hobbesmaster posted:

What lesson would that be?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If you post nazi poo poo even ironically you are a nazi.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Wait, CSPAM isn't just re-named LF?

Huh, learn something new every day I guess?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

hobbesmaster posted:

I don't think that's actually the same? Like, the lesson of FYAD is "ironic bigotry is still bigotry," here, according to PPJ, it seems to be more of the case that he thought he was in a bad Tom Clancy knock-off and was saying what he thought he had to say to get in the group.

Personally I just find it easier to believe that the guy who's been posting on a liberal-lefty forum for longer than discord has even been around (and became a mod solely because he kept posting twitter dumps in USPOL and woke up with a blue star) was doing an extremely dumb and misguided espionage bit as opposed to secretly being a shithead the whole time.

e: this is basically the plot of Black KKKlansman, except dumber

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 8, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the nazi discord thing is just the latest twist in that saga, CSPAM has been crusading against him for months for unrelated reasons

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

In order to destroy FYAD, you have to become FYAD.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

If you're an ironic nazi, a sarcastic nazi, or a nazi discord lurker, you're already over the socially unacceptable line of nazi

Acebuckeye13 posted:

e: this is basically the plot of Black KKKlansman, except dumber

Yeah in real life unlike the movies your stupid decisions don't get a pass because of ignorance and good intentions.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

McNally posted:

Too long, unfortunately.

Not the first time I've heard that

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:hfive:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Personally speaking I'm willing to take PPJ at his word that he was posting awful poo poo in order to root out shitheads on the forums, but I can definitely understand why others are unwilling to do so. And regardless of his true intentions, there's a reason why internet detective poo poo and offsite drama are banned from the forums, and isn't something that any mod or admin should be doing.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I'm trying to read up on the drama and the question I'm left with before even getting too deep into the first thread is "why were like 90% of the pictures in PPJ's post removed already?"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://twitter.com/bethbourdon/status/1214954153413357572

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

quote:

Kuwait receives letter saying all U.S. forces to leave in three days: KUNA

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...a-idUSKBN1Z71I9 :wtf:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Uh...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Personally speaking I'm willing to take PPJ at his word that he was posting awful poo poo in order to root out shitheads on the forums, but I can definitely understand why others are unwilling to do so. And regardless of his true intentions, there's a reason why internet detective poo poo and offsite drama are banned from the forums, and isn't something that any mod or admin should be doing.

The only "nazi" thing I saw that he posted in the screenshots was the "doner joke", which I did not understand. I havent seen any screenshots of him saying anything "ironically bigoted" or "I luv hitler ftw lulz". I still think this whole thing was tragically misguided at best.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hahahahahahahahahahha

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

ahhaha what the actual gently caress

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

lol at something awful having a better intel dept than the us government

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I've read that drat c/p like four times and now with context I can say: guy should be permaed for writing the least coherent narrative this side of bluestory.

Also he's a dumb gently caress for trying to scout Nazi discords using his SA connected username.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The worst part is my Facebook is filled with Democrats who are furious that we might leave the Middle East surrender it to Putin. Get the gently caress out of this party, please.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

BUG JUG posted:

Forum current event: what the gently caress is going on with CSPAM? Write your reply in the form of a brief the CiC can understand.

Go look in the last page or two of the drunk thread as that's a better spot for such discussion.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

BUG JUG posted:

Also he's a dumb gently caress for trying to scout Nazi discords using his SA connected username.

Apparently you had to link your sa username to access the discord or something. I dunno. I dont use discord because I'm an old.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

hahahahahahahahahahha

Yeah this

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

hahahahahahahahahahha

Yeah this.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Acebuckeye13 posted:

He's still fundamentally batshit stupid for doing it like that at all.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He's still fundamentally batshit stupid for doing it like that at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqpXzSHJaag

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/lettucewrangler/status/1214965787288621059

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I wish we could lock him in the pod from Watchmen and subject him to what normal people really think of him.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Casimir Radon posted:

I wish we could lock him in the pod from Watchmen and subject him to what normal people really think of him.

That or the Total Perspective Vortex from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I appreciate this post very much

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

2020: everyone in the world having a normal one

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1214991222009409536

:edit:
in case it disappears

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 9, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

YOUR COMPUTER IS BROADCASTING AN INTERNET IP ADDRESS

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

just loving lol if this moron fell for a scam call

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Acebuckeye13 posted:

He'd just survive that the same way Zaphod did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Qanon hacked PPJ and put nazi jokes on his server.