Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/1/2/seizing-power/

It's the preview for Hotshots and Aces pack for the remaining factions.

I really like that init zero syck. He's hilarious. I hope he's dirt cheap. The i1 jumpmaster is alright too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Points update is the 9th by the way.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Anyone ever try the epic battle multiplayer expansion? I'm curious about 3 and 4 player stuff but I can't find much I'm the way of reviews of even a clear explanation of what it is.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

socialsecurity posted:

Anyone ever try the epic battle multiplayer expansion? I'm curious about 3 and 4 player stuff but I can't find much I'm the way of reviews of even a clear explanation of what it is.

I have not yet bought into second edition Epic.

There's interest at the local store, but I haven't had much time for X-Wing since before Thanksgiving. :(

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

socialsecurity posted:

We've played some epic in our group, and it's good. Huge ships are awesome now, and no longer get initiative killed by TIE swarms before they can shoot. The wing tools make moving groups of ships much quicker, and also open up new strategies. Scenario play gives your ships something to do besides kill everything else to win.

If you are like me and own 12 TIE/ln models and can't even remember how you got them all, epic 2.0 is a great investment. Box also comes with a bunch of color-coded ID tokens to make everything easier; it's a really well-thought out expansion.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Holy poo poo i have rediscovered my love of painting minis.

Tbf it's because I discovered acrylic paint pens because they are so much easier to use but holy gently caress I have a gorgeous fleet now. Each faction has it's own two color scheme (except res/FO. Haven't decided yet)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Pics? Im interested to see how these paint pens look. I just started learning the airbrush and man it makes things easier but i still mostly suck at fine detail work with a reg brush.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Here's an imgur gallery of some of em. I'm probably gonna go over them again tonight to apply a 2nd coat because I can see where some of the paint has been thin

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I love that republic theme.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

I love that republic theme.

Thanks! It's actually based off the colours of my wedding, blue and purple. I'll try to get pics of the n1, ywing and v19s when I get home.

Derlix
Dec 9, 2005
Smug, Pantsless Bastard
So, my local group of kitchen table pilots is finding the CIS both oppressive and unfun to fly against. This makes me sad, because aesthetically and flavor-wise, the separatists are exactly my jam, and they're a blast to fly. I know everything's up in the air and likely to change this week with the points update, but the core list archetypes will remain intact. Does anyone have some tips for flying against a droid swarm?

This is my favorite list to fly at the moment: Grievous' Goons Mk II

My primary opponents fly ace-heavy Empire, and Rebels. The Rebel player doesn't have much of an established pattern in his lists, but he really likes Wedge.

After our games last night, they asked for some advice and past "Try to disrupt my formation so I can't share calculate tokens as easily" and "Bombs terrify me as a swarm pilot" I was at a loss.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Derlix posted:

So, my local group of kitchen table pilots is finding the CIS both oppressive and unfun to fly against. This makes me sad, because aesthetically and flavor-wise, the separatists are exactly my jam, and they're a blast to fly. I know everything's up in the air and likely to change this week with the points update, but the core list archetypes will remain intact. Does anyone have some tips for flying against a droid swarm?

My primary opponents fly ace-heavy Empire, and Rebels. The Rebel player doesn't have much of an established pattern in his lists, but he really likes Wedge.

After our games last night, they asked for some advice and past "Try to disrupt my formation so I can't share calculate tokens as easily" and "Bombs terrify me as a swarm pilot" I was at a loss.

I haven't played in a while, but dealing with swarms depends on your own list and a combination of obstacle placement and flying. If I'm bringing a low-ship list and expecting swarms, I bring big obstacles, typically either rocks or debris. I want to fly in a way to force the swarm to break up or potentially lose actions/gain stress/damage.

If I'm dealing with a swarm, my goal is to take out the ship that gives out any mods/benefits, along with at least another swarm ship as my initial goal. Swarm lists are just multiple dice attacks that can chip away at health easily, and with numbers, easy to keep a target ship in sights of a majority of them. The goal then is to take out at least a ship (if not more) a round, because even with just 1 health remaining, a swarm ship is still going to throw red dice at full power unless they have crits.

Other pieces of advice to your kitchen table friends: - Don't joust a swarm. - Avoid multiple arcs rather than getting tokens. - Don't joust. - Use ordinance that might attack multiple targets. - Don't joust.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It's been a while since I've played regularly (And I've barely played at all in 2E, though I'm looking into getting back into it), but when fighting swarms the name of the game is disruption—using obstacles and strategic maneuvering to ensure that as few of his pilots as possible are facing in the right direction to get shots, and ideally putting your own pilots in place to focus fire and eliminate the few ships that can shoot.

If I were talking to your friends, I'd definitely focus on advising them to:

-Bring ordnance like bombs, concussion missiles, or cluster missiles that punish tight formations
-Use lots of post-dial maneuvers like barrel roll and boost to avoid arcs and get close-in shots
-Focus in on the swarm's heavy hitters, like Grievous, as without him the rest of the list becomes much less effective.
-To echo Ringo, Do Not Joust Swarms

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Derlix posted:

Separatists are really, really efficient. Their abilities (networked calculations, assorted Tactical Relays, etc) increase that efficiency many times over, and Struts make them able to control space like very few other lists. Struts also mean that the traditional anti-swarm tactics of "drag them through the rocks" doesn't work, and "don't joust them" becomes very difficult to pull off. Ultimately, a CIS swarm is probably going to shoot at something with multiple ships.

It becomes a question of trading efficiently. Most vulture swarms are very low initiative, so you should be able to kill some before they shoot. They also fly in formations, so if you can get in their way to block and deny actions, you massively reduce the number of tokens they have to share with each other. They also (unless Energy Shells are in play) tend to have weak individual attacks, meaning that ships with really good defenses (reinforce, three green dice, token stacks, 3+ force, etc) tend to weather the storm with minimal damage. Lastly, they have difficultly doing bank moves, making their movement more predictable (they're almost certainly going straight or turning 90 degrees).

These are your primary tools against them.

The points adjustment (Thursday!) is almost certainly going to knock down the number of upgrades they can take in a list, but I doubt it's going to really affect the total number of ships they can field. This should make taking advantage of their weaknesses easier.

Rebels will have a hard time NOT jousting a CIS swarm, given how slowly they tend to move. However, they have two VERY GOOD resources against the swarm: Selfless and Biggs. A list with Biggs and a copy of Selfless or two will be able to spread out the damage from the swarm and hopefully whittle down what's left.

Aces have an easier time of it, as they tend to be fast, dodgy ships. The hardest part is learning how to bait. Come at the swarm from three sides. Make it commit to someone, then have that ship run like hell. Accept the fact that the ship they commit to is going to be out of the fight for a while. Keep an eye on the swarm's ability to re-commit to someone else, and bail any time someone looks threatened.

Also, Rebel and Empire have access to phenomenal blockers: A-Wings and TIE fighters. The i1 version of each is cheap, and if it moves first, can zip in to gum up the lane to break the formation. There's absolutely nothing I hate more, when flying a swarm, then a cheap-rear end Academy Pilot who moves before all my dudes. That guy always, always ends up right where I want to be, busts the formation, denies all the actions, and then it's this huge dirty scrum where no one has tokens and I lose a ship or two a round.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I think I just broke another player. I was rolling my triple t70s. He was flying lando and Hera in a weird synergy list that gave all the free actions. Turn two I have it set up that all my xwings had shots on lando with HLC and her was shooting through a gas cloud at me. Knocked Lando down to half in the first turn and only lost a shield on Ello. Turn 3, continued to pile on Lando leaving him st 1 hull with a loose stabiliser crit. However Ello was down to 1 with the same crit.

Turn 4. He has init so he goes first.....he dialed in a bank with Lando. When I pointed out the crit he yelled gently caress, immediately surrendered and then didn't say a single word as he packed up and left.

I feel really bad now.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dont feel bad. People get frustrated when they lose. Hopefully he'll learn from the mistakes and become a better player. Does he use crit tokens? Theyre super useful. I forgot crits all the time until i started actually using the token for it. Put them next to the ships dial if its a movement impairing itll be easier to remember

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Turn 4. He has init so he goes first.....he dialed in a bank with Lando. When I pointed out the crit he yelled gently caress, immediately surrendered and then didn't say a single word as he packed up and left.

I feel really bad now.

Should have asked to shake his hand and then reminded him to fly casual. I hear that helps.

Also, don't feel bad.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Locally we call that crit "Go straight or die" because every one of us has lost a ship and/or a game to that thing.

It doesn't matter if you have five hull left. Go straight or die.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
FFG just had some massive layoffs today.

quote:

Can confirm, was just laid off from Asmodee North America, which shares offices with FFG

The company bit off way too much too fast and is collapsing under its own pacing. Too many game lines cannibalizing from one another, too much reliance on expensive licensing deals, too much disregard for institutional knowledge and getting farther and farther away from their own stated values.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Raged posted:

FFG just had some massive layoffs today.

Huh that's not great I just started buying into X-wing, always too late to the party.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

socialsecurity posted:

Huh that's not great I just started buying into X-wing, always too late to the party.

An interesting take when many people lost their jobs out of nowhere

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Looks like most of them are from the RPG & Interactive divisions

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

alg posted:

It was a decent username/post combo though

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

alg posted:

Can it really be considered out of nowhere when this type of thing happens all the time when companies get bought by larger ones.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Asmodee bought FFG like 5 years ago

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It's not like it happens over night.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Raged posted:

Looks like most of them are from the RPG & Interactive divisions
Yeah, but as someone who's 'survived' restructuring of a smaller company, it has a massive effect on morale and the conditions of those left behind, even with management's strenuous assurances that you're all good. You feel more pressured make profit over do good work, pushing things out before you'd consider them ready, you start considering those offers and positions at other companies that you'd previously turned down, maybe following your ex-workmates to a new place just to get away from the massive persistent downer vibes in the emptier office. My team wasn't touched by the hatchetmen at all, but within 6 months we were all at different companies.

Xwing will probably be fine, at worst it might start down a long path of attack-wingification, and if so, some of us will have gotten a good decade outta the game by then. Or, conversely, maybe Xwing gets more resources, more OP events to push that player base, more people working on rules, Playtesting, all the stuff the community has been wanting. Who knows.

I'm more worried about legion, which seems to have a much slimmer profit margin to offset the licensing fees.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Possible Wave 7 leaks. Warning Reddit link

LAAT, HMP, and Xi shuttle for FO. Looks like fun. Also we all predicted the LAAT and HMP right?

EDIT

Official Vonreg Tie Preview

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 8, 2020

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Possible Wave 7 leaks. Warning Reddit link

LAAT, HMP, and Xi shuttle for FO. Looks like fun. Also we all predicted the LAAT and HMP right?

EDIT

Official Vonreg Tie Preview

I think the Vonreg TIE expansion is gonna be HUGE for first order.

Another ace? Excellent!
That regen upgrade is Quickdraw's wet dream.
The talent is weird, but probably pretty good on assorted generics. I hope it's cheap.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
If QuickDraw has a disarm token and loses a shield, he can’t use the free attack, right?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Some Numbers posted:

If QuickDraw has a disarm token and loses a shield, he can’t use the free attack, right?

He can just spend the other charge to get rid of the disarm.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/1/8/attack-on-all-fronts/

Wave 7 confirmed

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The LAAT generic ability/charges let friendly attackers reroll 2 dice when attacking. Nice. Also I see Captain Rex crew is back. And the card with two pistols is obviously Fives.

Ayala Secura's ability is a better Tali, attacker in bullseye, friendly defender at 0-2 can turn a blank to an eye. Doesn't cost force and isn't limited to once.

Plus the whole Focus + Purple coordinate. Don't leave home without her, that's a jedi's best friend.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 8, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I've been thinking about getting into Republic and the LAAT confirms it. Probably one of my favorite ships in the whole series.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

hoiyes posted:

The LAAT generic ability/charges let friendly attackers reroll 2 dice when attacking. Nice. Also I see Captain Rex crew is back. And the card with two pistols is obviously Fives.

Ayala Secura's ability is a better Tali, attacker in bullseye, friendly defender at 0-2 can turn a blank to an eye. Doesn't cost force and isn't limited to once.

Plus the whole Focus + Purple coordinate. Don't leave home without her, that's a jedi's best friend.

Didn't Fives use a rotary cannon? Rex used two pistols

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Edit: I only knew Fives from the Galaxy of Heroes app when I played years ago, and he uses dual blasters.

The LAAT is like the resistance transport except it way better abilities and Synergies with Jedi heck.

Edit: more squinting. The I3 LAAT seems to buff you until the end of the round if a friendly ship (or itself) is destroyed. The I2 unique does something when a small friendly ship gets a strain or deplete token. The I4 looks like a ship that meets a few conditions can take a strain to perform a boost.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 8, 2020

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Razor Crest when.

On a more serious note, that's a surprisingly small wave. Where are the usual reprints?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

Razor Crest when.

On a more serious note, that's a surprisingly small wave. Where are the usual reprints?

I think they may holding off on reprints since they had to cancel 3 reprints due to a backlog.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Gunship config:

Repulsorlift stabilizers, reduce difficultly of straight moves (4 and 5 are red on dial so that's a thing) flip after moving.

Ship ability:

You cannot spend Locks to reroll dice. When attacking, you can reroll number of dice equal to friendly locks on defender.

Very cool swarm ability.

Can't read much of the XI shuttle, but looks like those devices are deployed by the I3 pilot who has Setup: and End of Game: effects on his card.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Trying to figure out the official rules on mixing/models. So I understand that in 2.0 you can't mix say First Order and Imperial ships officially, but could I use say the first order TIE Model with the Imperial TIE pilot card to use it as an imperial ship or does it have to be the slightly right color tie fighter model.