Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

threelemmings posted:

Our local place has feminine products in the (very clean) bathrooms

I remember a Dice Tower thing on this. Is this truly the best indicator of how good a board game store is?

My wife is planning to try a different place today so we'll see. As for groups, we still have one, but a lot of people moved away. They might have moved away because of us, but they're pulling a pretty good ruse. I also have a club at work but we tend to play lighter games because we can manage going through unboxing, explaining, playing, and boxing in a little over an hour. That's all the time we really have. A lot of them are on other sides of the city with families and the work place is the common location for us.

Also, I am really good at typing "7 Windows" instead of "7 Wonders." Over and over and over again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
They took the names off of postings on BGG. Just your userid now. Not a change I'm a fan of, the whole point of having your name there was to say who you were and let other people identify you. Should be a choice, not a requirement.

E: If you hover on desktop you can see them but I don't see the point of removing them in the first place.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 8, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Mayveena posted:

They took the names off of postings on BGG.
What a strange thing. Wouldn't that encourage a certain level of anonymity to say stupid poo poo? Something something 4-chan?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm not seeing any change in the browser..

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah it's in the beta, I forgot I'd opted into it.

Here's a sample:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Huh. Yeah I instantly dislike that.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Another great find at the thrift shops today! I like to check a couple times a week, Value Village does not seem to know how to price board games appropriately. They can't seem to tell the difference between a rare Avalon Hill wargame and a set of Monopoly Deluxe. Case in point:

I almost passed this over, but the Rio Grande Games logo caught my eye, then when I saw Uwe Rosenberg at the top I went :eyepop: This seems to be some kind of competitive bean farming game. There are a lot of number on the cards, and Uwe has never done me wrong so I think I will enjoy this one. I counted all the cards, and the entire set is there. Unfortunately the manual was missing, but a quick trip to BGG can replace that!

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 8, 2020

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I avoided playing Betrayal for a long time. I even had a copy gifted to me that has remained unopened.
Over Christmas, while staying with family, I had to play their favorite game, Betrayal.
I was determined to go in with an open mind and not be a sourpuss. That game is awful.

We played with 6 players. It took 4 hours. The first half of the game is wandering without any objective. Then THE HAUNT begins and the game tells you that someone is a traitor, and now you have different win conditions. If the fun in games comes from making interesting decisions, I didn't make any meaningful decisions until the haunt started. Then once the haunt started, there weren't any hard choices, because there was a single objective and a single way to accomplish it.

I have a personal rule that I will play any game once, regardless of how bad a reputation it has. I'm adding that to my list of played once, never playing again. (along with Cosmic Encounters, Machi Koro, and Smash Up)

Could have played 2 to 4 better games during that 4 hour time period instead

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Another great find at the thrift shops today! I like to check a couple times a week, Value Village does not seem to know how to price board games appropriately. They can't seem to tell the difference between a rare Avalon Hill wargame and a set of Monopoly Deluxe. Case in point:

I almost passed this over, but the Rio Grande Games logo caught my eye, then when I saw Uwe Rosenberg at the top I went :eyepop: This seems to be some kind of competitive bean farming game. There are a lot of number on the cards, and Uwo has never done me wrong so I think I will enjoy this one. I counted all the cards, and the entire set is there. Unfortunately the manual was missing, but a quick trip to BGG can replace that!

Dude that game is older than you are. The game that put him on the map.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I find a pseudoanonymous handle to provide as much accountability as an unverified full name, especially if they're keeping the weird microbadges and flags that prove one to be a BGG poster of long-standing. Just a bit of tidying up of the agean stables of design.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

canyoneer posted:

I avoided playing Betrayal for a long time. I even had a copy gifted to me that has remained unopened.
Over Christmas, while staying with family, I had to play their favorite game, Betrayal.
I was determined to go in with an open mind and not be a sourpuss. That game is awful.

We played with 6 players. It took 4 hours. The first half of the game is wandering without any objective. Then THE HAUNT begins and the game tells you that someone is a traitor, and now you have different win conditions. If the fun in games comes from making interesting decisions, I didn't make any meaningful decisions until the haunt started. Then once the haunt started, there weren't any hard choices, because there was a single objective and a single way to accomplish it.

I have a personal rule that I will play any game once, regardless of how bad a reputation it has. I'm adding that to my list of played once, never playing again. (along with Cosmic Encounters, Machi Koro, and Smash Up)

Could have played 2 to 4 better games during that 4 hour time period instead

So it’s still the flaming toilet I remember from years ago? Good to know. I didn’t really want to give it another miserable day in court.

But what’s your beef with Machi Koro? I’m not gonna go to bat for it as some great game but it’s a decent light casual game. It’s just fine in both senses. Hearing it in the same breath as Cosmic Encounters made me raise an eyebrow.

PS Rutibex, it’s also a pun cause “Bohn” means “bean” in German.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

He may have played Machi Koro with the expansion that added a market row and buildings that steal coins - those change the game from a cute dice rolling engine builder to just :suicide:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Base Machi Koro is not a terrible game. It's just not very deep and the Big Money strategy in it is "buy all the convenience stores and never get a second die".

I don't mean to slight it by comparing it with Cosmic Encounters, which is dull, fiddly, and unmercifully long.
edit:
The Cosmic Encounter ships look like nipples though, which was the most fun part of the game

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

I find a pseudoanonymous handle to provide as much accountability as an unverified full name, especially if they're keeping the weird microbadges and flags that prove one to be a BGG poster of long-standing. Just a bit of tidying up of the agean stables of design.

I don’t really see the point in changing it. It doesn’t seem “better” and actually loads slower (maybe because of the beta).

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

canyoneer posted:

Base Machi Koro is not a terrible game. It's just not very deep and the Big Money strategy in it is "buy all the convenience stores and never get a second die".

I don't mean to slight it by comparing it with Cosmic Encounters, which is dull, fiddly, and unmercifully long.
edit:
The Cosmic Encounter ships look like nipples though, which was the most fun part of the game

O word.

Like I said, I don’t think it’s a great game or nothing. I just also don’t think it’s super derisible so I was curious.

We have been playing the legacy version recently which I’d firmly slot in at “O this is cute but I’m glad I can only play this 10 times”. It’s good enough for like my parent and my girlfriend and me to gently caress around with while drunk over the holidays, but in terms of depth it’s a puddle.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm with you on the general principal that every change to a website makes it worse, I just don't predict /b/gg just because it takes a bit more ferreting to find out that johnpeters64 calls himself John Peters.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rutibex posted:

I almost passed this over, but the Rio Grande Games logo caught my eye, then when I saw Uwe Rosenberg at the top I went :eyepop: This seems to be some kind of competitive bean farming game. There are a lot of number on the cards, and Uwe has never done me wrong so I think I will enjoy this one. I counted all the cards, and the entire set is there. Unfortunately the manual was missing, but a quick trip to BGG can replace that!

The hardest rule to remember:
YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO REARRANGE YOUR HAND

It goes against every card game instinct, but your "hand" is actually a conveyor belt pushing the rightmost bean onto your table. This is what keeps the whole trading aspect of the game going. The rule is pretty obvious once you learn the other gameplay, but it's so hard to not just do it automatically.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I never put a name in the name field in bgg.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Rutibex posted:

Hey nice! Think Bohnanza usually runs about $17 CAD so enjoy your heavily discounted (good) thrift store find. I really like this game but it's hard to get to the table these days because my one friend despises it since he played about 250 games of it one year and the people he played with were absolute sharks with trades and point counting and going apeshit over "bad trades". How often do you go check thrift shops for stuff, Rutibex? I've never had any luck, it's always piles of Scene It: Twilight, Monopoly X edition, and puzzles.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Machi Koro isn't actively bad. But as a engine builder, it's remarkable shallow. At a similar weight, Oh My Goods!/Royal Goods, Fleet, and First Class: All Aboard the Orient Express! are better at everything but ease of teaching. Machi Koro is really easy to teach.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 8, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Hey nice! Think Bohnanza usually runs about $17 CAD so enjoy your heavily discounted (good) thrift store find. I really like this game but it's hard to get to the table these days because my one friend despises it since he played about 250 games of it one year and the people he played with were absolute sharks with trades and point counting and going apeshit over "bad trades". How often do you go check thrift shops for stuff, Rutibex? I've never had any luck, it's always piles of Scene It: Twilight, Monopoly X edition, and puzzles.

It’s funny, I played it for the first time in years last week because we were looking for a relatively quick easy to explain game and that one caught my eye. Still good too.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

It goes against every card game instinct

Just like the "draw a card but don't look at it" rule in Hanabi.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
While on the topic of machi koro, has anyone any experience with its spiritual successors? I think I remember there being at least space base and valeria: card kingdoms or some equally terrible name, and both are supposedly improvements on the formula. The basic idea of chuck dice: get stuff is cool, but it's too shallow and I'd like something meatier and if possible with more player interaction and more difficult choices.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Chubbs posted:

Just like the "draw a card but don't look at it" rule in Hanabi.

The first time I played...shoot, some game I don't remember now. Similiar to Hanabi, you don't look at the cards. Anyway, first time I played it, the table told me how to play, don't look at the cards, these are the win conditions, don't look at your cards, this is what you do to win, really you can't look at the cards.

Was dealt a hand. Picked up the cards, flipped them over and looked at them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bruceski posted:

It goes against every card game instinct, but your "hand" is actually a conveyor belt pushing the rightmost bean onto your table. This is what keeps the whole trading aspect of the game going. The rule is pretty obvious once you learn the other gameplay, but it's so hard to not just do it automatically.

Hand order mattering is a really neat idea. Uwe really knows how to be clever with what he has to work with.

FulsomFrank posted:

I usually go twice a week. The shop is only a few blocks from my house so I can check pretty regularly. You have to go often if you want to spot the great stuff, they put out new board games every day. 99% of the time it is the same: Scene It: Twilight, Monopoly X edition, puzzles, etc but every other week I find something really cool that is priced way below market value. Value Village doesn't seem to understand that high-end board games are actually a thing. I saw a copy of Pandemic in there for $3, I didn't pick it up because I already own Pandemic but I was tempted.

Mayveena posted:

Dude that game is older than you are. The game that put him on the map.

lol I wish :v:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I played Bohnanza just once and I have to imagine I screwed that up. Also, I bet everybody else did.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Wind the Film! is a newer saashi Japanese card game that sorta combines that can't rearrange mechanic with the ordered set collection of lost cities. One of my favorite card games. Impossible to get ahold of, I don't have a copy, chill sell me your copy please.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I just played Wingspan and my god what a cosy relaxing engine builder. It's too random to really care about min/maxxing and the bird illustrations are delightful.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

The bean game is surprisingly good; received it as a gift from a "you like games, right?" relative, but it ended up being a moderate success everytime I brought it to a game night. It's simple, but the whole mechanic of trading the stuff you don't want on your conveyor belt keeps everyone engaged, even when it's not their turn.

My only Salvation army get was 7$ for Alhambra (the most "Ok" euro I've ever played) and Diplomacy (I don't think I'll ever play it again, but I have a lot of nostalgia for it, and it's a nice old edition with metal pieces)

Sir Gladu fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 8, 2020

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

silvergoose posted:

Wind the Film! is a newer saashi Japanese card game that sorta combines that can't rearrange mechanic with the ordered set collection of lost cities. One of my favorite card games. Impossible to get ahold of, I don't have a copy, chill sell me your copy please.

Good news its coming to the US this year. Source

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
After taking Pit to my friends Christmas party, it was nice to hear from two different friends that they went out and bought Pit for their own Christmases. Doesn't hurt that it's :10bux: Australian.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Oenis posted:

While on the topic of machi koro, has anyone any experience with its spiritual successors? I think I remember there being at least space base and valeria: card kingdoms or some equally terrible name, and both are supposedly improvements on the formula. The basic idea of chuck dice: get stuff is cool, but it's too shallow and I'd like something meatier and if possible with more player interaction and more difficult choices.

Space base is much better, but it is still pretty random. Generally, I find most players roll half their VPs in that game, and there are not enough rolls to smooth out that randomness. Especially since there are more high risk, high VP ships (10-12 slots) than there are standard ships. It's fast, though. So I can forgive the randomness. As for strategy, I'd like to say that buying straight VPs is better than you'd think. Losing slots in Space Base hurts much less than you'd think.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sir Gladu posted:

Diplomacy (I don't think I'll ever play it again, but I have a lot of nostalgia for it, and it's a nice old edition with metal pieces

That sounds like a bad idea for Diplomacy. You want pieces that can't stab people.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

The Narrator posted:

After taking Pit to my friends Christmas party, it was nice to hear from two different friends that they went out and bought Pit for their own Christmases. Doesn't hurt that it's :10bux: Australian.

Love Pit. I think that's why I like the trading phase in Civ so much. It's like Pit but way, way better. I've always wanted to bring that trading mechanism to other games. Does anyone know of another game that handles fast paced trading in a similar manner that isn't Sidereal or Trade on the Tigris?

EDIT: I've got Panic actually and everyone loves it. Lots of fun and I'm really happy to have found a copy on the cheap from Australia of all places!

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 9, 2020

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

FulsomFrank posted:

Love Pit. I think that's why I like the trading phase in Civ so much. It's like Pit but way, way better. I've always wanted to bring that trading mechanism to other games. Does anyone know of another game that handles fast paced trading in a similar manner that isn't Sidereal or Trade on the Tigris?

Panic on Wall Street is meant to be very good for that kind of vibe, but I think it's rare as hens' teeth by now :(

Edit: :(

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 8, 2020

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Bohnanza is Uwe Boll's best game, don't at me.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

taser rates posted:

Bohnanza is Uwe Boll's best game, don't at me.

Actually that goes to punching Lowtax in the head

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Narrator posted:

Panic on Wall Street is meant to be very good for that kind of vibe, but I think it's rare as hens' teeth by now :(

Edit: :(

oh man i own that game and never ever play it. too bad i have no idea how selling things on the internet works

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Countblanc posted:

oh man i own that game and never ever play it. too bad i have no idea how selling things on the internet works

Hold it up and shout what it is over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
There's a decent amount of Amazon people offering crazy prices for out-of-print stuff in the hope that some solitary person will come along and pay it.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I put a Warmachine sourcebook up on Amazon once for 140 bucks on a lark (the highest price was 170) and it got bought, so you never know.