Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darthemed posted:

Are there any games which have your character going through a sewer level with a torch, and the torch reacting to gas pockets?

Can't remember if it's specifically a sewer level, but Skyrim had the flammable gas pockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Inzombiac posted:

I think Witcher 3 has this.

Oh yeah...I've had an example rolling around the back of my brain since I saw the question, I think that's the one I was trying to think of.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Olaf The Stout posted:

You're setting your buttons up like dark souls, and dark souls doesn't have remappable buttons, but it's also a perfect game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aiTXXifbwE

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

oldpainless posted:

This dude is still loving pissing

Must be a porter.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Phy posted:

Can't remember if it's specifically a sewer level, but Skyrim had the flammable gas pockets.

The Bethesda Fallouts did too

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Bethesda's games are flammable gas pockets.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

Now I've bumped the difficulty down to easy for Bound by Flame and it's made a huge difference, it's still something you need to pay attention to, but less bullshit. I'm actually having fun with the game now.

There are a lot of setting things that are kind of cute that I wanted to talk about. The main villains, the Ice Lords, aren't as much of a sausage fest as most of the collectives of bosses tend to be, as of the 7 remaining, 3 of them are women, which is great. Also the game is playing up the idea of turning them against each other, which sounds like fun.

Also it has cute bits of worldbuilding, like an Elf gets annoyed when you ask him if he has any of the special elven bread lying around, and his reaction is "I'm a blacksmith idiot, not a baker! Also that bread tastes like garbage, you'd be better eating sand, it'd stay down easier and be more pleasurable..."

It has a cute moral choice aspect too, because the reason normal mode is so next-to-impossible if you aren't an expert is to make the evil choices tempting - at certain points, the demon will offer you a power boost that is cumulative and lasts the whole game, but also feeds your soul to him, so it's design is trying to make it feel like it could be necessary to give some of your soul away, because "it's only a little bit to even the odds, what could be the harm..." then 3 bosses later you've grown horns. If you refuse the demon, you lose that power boost and have to rely on your traps and equipment and personal skill. The demon is generally a fun and funny character too. He reminds me of Gig from Soul Nomad in his attitude.

Yeah, about playing the Ice Lords against each other...you only interact with one. The game is only about 15-20 hours long and was made on a budget of some change the devs found in the office couch, so they didn't have an opportunity to go deeper than that. I'm not saying the game isn't worth the ride, since the writing stays solid the whole way through, just that you might want to recalibrate your expectations.

I really hope they revisit the setting some day, but they might be better off financially sticking to Greedfall, since apparently that did pretty well for them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
BTW something cute in the original Gears of War that's pertinent to the sewer level discussion: There is a gag in the Mine level where the party splits up, you always take the upper path, and they get stuck whining about being in a sewer level that you never have to play. I thought that was pretty funny.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

BTW something cute in the original Gears of War that's pertinent to the sewer level discussion: There is a gag in the Mine level where the party splits up, you always take the upper path, and they get stuck whining about being in a sewer level that you never have to play. I thought that was pretty funny.
That's the proper way to do these jokes IMO and I wish more games did that.

This is technically for the annoyance thread, but far too many games pull the "haha isn't feature/level X lovely am I right?" card while making you suffer through X. It never get's better, funny or even immune to criticism just because you point it out, if you already figured out it sucks, don't make me play bad sewer levels or missions for assholes without being paid until the game is almost over (GTA5).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Control weaves its own video gameyness into the world itself. Jesse explains how she can fast travel in-between control points and The Board translates their messages into video game logic that even those millennials can understand.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

orcane posted:

This is technically for the annoyance thread, but far too many games pull the "haha isn't feature/level X lovely am I right?" card while making you suffer through X. It never get's better, funny or even immune to criticism just because you point it out, if you already figured out it sucks, don't make me play bad sewer levels or missions for assholes without being paid until the game is almost over (GTA5).

I would love it, just love it, if a game actually did something like "Oh drat sewer levels suck amirite?" as you're descending into a sewer and just having it be, like, a straight corridor for thirty seconds before you're out and that's it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Just have a cutscene of them going into the sewer, then cut to a scene of leaving the sewers while complaining about how lovely (figuratively and literally) it was down there.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Just have a cutscene of them going into the sewer, then cut to a scene of leaving the sewers while complaining about how lovely (figuratively and literally) it was down there.

"Goddamn that sucked so bad. That water valve maze we had to get through? What the gently caress was that about? I don't think most sewers look anything like that place!"

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Have the party go down into a sewer but the pipe they need to get through is only about as wide as the PC's forearm so they have to find another way that doesn't involve poo poo filled sewers.

Morpheus posted:

"Goddamn that sucked so bad. That water valve maze we had to get through? What the gently caress was that about? I don't think most sewers look anything like that place!"

Bonus points if they have the balls to kill one of the party off screen in the sewers.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
A sewer level that gradually grows larger and larger until it contains the rest of the game’s world.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Darthemed posted:

A sewer level that gradually grows larger and larger until it contains the rest of the game’s world.

A TMNT extreme sports game that's just Tony Hawks Downhill Jam but in sewer pipes.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

A subverted sewer level where the the characters climb down a manhole, discover the mains at the bottom are much too small to even crawl through, and head back up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

An overworld so dank, smelly, and gloomy that the sewer excursion is delightfully refreshing in comparison.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Captain Hygiene posted:

An overworld so dank, smelly, and gloomy that the sewer excursion is delightfully refreshing in comparison.

That's the Metro series

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A game set so far in the future that the sewers are actually not terrible. They're clean, easy to navigate, well lit, and have yet to deteriorate from the two zombies that showed up eighteen miles away.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

BioEnchanted posted:

A TMNT extreme sports game that's just Tony Hawks Downhill Jam but in sewer pipes.

I think something like this exists. It might not be a TMNT game but I'm pretty sure there is a level that's just a downhill obstacle course in sewage runoff.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

THis discussion just reminded me of the amazing minecart section in Deadfall Adventures. It's a straight-up rollercoaster and you don't even have to worry about getting shot as you move so quickly you get out of range before the enemies can kill you, and the enemies that ride along side you have scripted moments where they all crash and die in elaborate ways. It owns. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzrWa67xqto&t=1012s

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
As someone who occasionally ends up in sewers as part of their day job...ehh actually I'll take a real one over most gaming equivalents

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I imagine the real ones have fewer monsters

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

haveblue posted:

It's not monsters that are the problem. It's the poo poo and discarded needles you've gotta watch out for.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Roblo posted:

As someone who occasionally ends up in sewers as part of their day job...ehh actually I'll take a real one over most gaming equivalents

:same:

haveblue posted:

does my boss count?

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Morpheus posted:

I would love it, just love it, if a game actually did something like "Oh drat sewer levels suck amirite?" as you're descending into a sewer and just having it be, like, a straight corridor for thirty seconds before you're out and that's it.

I remember No One Lives Forever 2 having that. A length of sewer about 15 feet long, with a sign saying "Obligatory FPS sewer level".

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

RareAcumen posted:

A game set so far in the future that the sewers are actually not terrible. They're clean, easy to navigate, well lit, and have yet to deteriorate from the two zombies that showed up eighteen miles away.

Destiny 2 has this, to an extent - Part of the Scourge of the Past raid is set in the storm sewer of the Last City's Botza District. Rains after the bombing have washed a ton of the Fallen's poo poo down there, and there are places where the system itself has been bombed out... But the parts that aren't wrecked are clean, well-lit, and easy to navigate if you're capable of using space magic to jump much higher and farther than mortals. Conveniently, you can.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Exit Strategy posted:

Destiny 2 has this, to an extent - Part of the Scourge of the Past raid is set in the storm sewer of the Last City's Botza District. Rains after the bombing have washed a ton of the Fallen's poo poo down there, and there are places where the system itself has been bombed out... But the parts that aren't wrecked are clean, well-lit, and easy to navigate if you're capable of using space magic to jump much higher and farther than mortals. Conveniently, you can.

Until the giant flaming monster starts chasing you and you have to try to negotiate the sewer on your 200mph hoverbikes.

That's actually a really fun encounter.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

orcane posted:

This post triggered a memory for me from back when I was growing up. I played the original X-Wing on the PC, and as anyone who's seriously played it knows, some of the missions were downright brutal. One seems to stick in everyone's mind though, and that's the Redemption Scenario: You and two other fighters (who's AI sucked btw) had to protect a particularly vulnerable ship from attacks that appeared at opposite ends of the map. It took me many tries to figure out how to do that missions successfully.

A few years later I picked up and started reading the X-Wing series of books, and the very first scene of the first book is a training simulator mission running the Redemption Scenario, and the pilots participating complaining about how difficult it is. Made me smile :)

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

PremiumSupport posted:

This post triggered a memory for me from back when I was growing up. I played the original X-Wing on the PC, and as anyone who's seriously played it knows, some of the missions were downright brutal. One seems to stick in everyone's mind though, and that's the Redemption Scenario: You and two other fighters (who's AI sucked btw) had to protect a particularly vulnerable ship from attacks that appeared at opposite ends of the map. It took me many tries to figure out how to do that missions successfully.

A few years later I picked up and started reading the X-Wing series of books, and the very first scene of the first book is a training simulator mission running the Redemption Scenario, and the pilots participating complaining about how difficult it is. Made me smile :)

Goddamn. I loved those games, and read the books, but never picked that up ...

God I bet if I read them again now they would be awesome (wasn't corran horn a bit of a Mary Sue? And I'm pretty sure he nailed a cat alien at one point) but drat I loved them as a kid.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

RareAcumen posted:

I actually really enjoyed the sewer section from Mirrors Edge. Good paths to run on, good future aesthetic, and that section where you’re in that massive room (full of snipers for some reason) dropped my jaw the first time I entered it.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Roblo posted:

Goddamn. I loved those games, and read the books, but never picked that up ...

God I bet if I read them again now they would be awesome (wasn't corran horn a bit of a Mary Sue? And I'm pretty sure he nailed a cat alien at one point) but drat I loved them as a kid.

Corran was certainly the hero of the Rouge Squadron line of the series, but I wouldn't call him a Mary Sue. He had flaws, and those flaws got him into trouble on more than one occasion.

Gavin Darklighter was the one who banged the cat lady though.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Corran is implied to have hosed an otter lady at some point in the past.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Goddammit. I got my otter and cat people mixed up

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Olaf The Stout posted:

You're setting your buttons up like dark souls, and dark souls doesn't have remappable buttons, but it's also a perfect game.

sekiro lets you rebind controls like nobody's business :colbert:

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Polaron posted:

Corran is implied to have hosed an otter lady at some point in the past.

Which did not turn out well for either of them as I recall. Something about skin chemistry issues.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I enjoyed Clanker’s Cavern, which is a sewer level.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

moosecow333 posted:

I actually really enjoyed the sewer section from Mirrors Edge. Good paths to run on, good future aesthetic, and that section where you’re in that massive room (full of snipers for some reason) dropped my jaw the first time I entered it.

It's also apparently based on a real place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

exquisite tea posted:

Control weaves its own video gameyness into the world itself. Jesse explains how she can fast travel in-between control points and The Board translates their messages into video game logic that even those millennials can understand.

That whole bit with how the Board’s messages have dual meanings in the subtitles is extremely clever. It gets the tone across of something being translated and interpreted instead of being directly understood, which was a really cool touch.