Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

labeling my threads 1,2, 4, ... 129

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
2020 is the year of the content creator. may your cores burn hot and your threads rip true

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:regd20:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

BrettRobb posted:

I built a sweet :pcgaming: amd rig and I like it a lot. This thing is basically fully yoked right out of the box, so no tweaking or spergery even makes a difference.

AMD gpus are still trash I'm pretty sure so not going near that poo poo.

getting the IF clock up to its 1866 max and tweaking timings can make a pretty big difference if you're looking for something to do, but yeah there's almost nothing to squeeze out of the processor itself

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

top end threadripper really rips dem threads!

TR 3990X
64 cores, 128 ripperinos
2.9 / 4.3 ghz base/turbo
256 MB L3 cache
4x3200 ddr
64 pcie4 lanes
280 W tdp
$3990 msrp

:eyepop:

can it run crysis tho?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
crysis on infinite threads

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
The new Athlon for laptops is promising, because the chipset probably supports modern features across the board. A USB controller that isnt garbage, acceleration for all 3d stuff, mandatory 'speedstep', Windows Hello standard, HDMI 2.0 that doesn't make the TV flicker 18 times when connected.

Unlike intel, which releases different architectures in the same product line, and OEMs further complicate it with realtek everything.

fivehead fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 8, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's gonna be a while before i trust amd in mobile

they have not to this date ever made a mobile platform that wasn't absolute garbage and there is a reason they exist pretty much exclusively as the bargain basement tier of discount best buy specials. that said, here's hoping

fivehead posted:

Unlike intel, which releases different architectures in the same product line, and OEMs further complicate it with realtek everything.

the most hilarious part about this is trying to find something that fully supports miracast/wi-di. you know, since ms went and made that the default display streaming protocol in windows

pram
Jun 10, 2001

fivehead posted:

The new Athlon for laptops is promising, because the chipset probably supports modern features across the board. A USB controller that isnt garbage, acceleration for all 3d stuff, mandatory 'speedstep', Windows Hello standard, HDMI 2.0 that doesn't make the TV flicker 18 times when connected.

lol

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Schadenboner posted:

crysis on infinite threads

hmmm nope still wont break 100fps

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Disband Realtek and return the value to the shareholders, IMO.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

white people also “compete” in the 100m sprint

classic echi

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

wandows hello as standard thx all for the pleasure

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have an amd 2600x that is very needs suiting in my gaming/VR rig

I also have an i7-8700k trapped in a dell motherboard that has like one pciex slot and locked ram timing. :rip:

it’s maybe worth getting a gaming mobo to run the 8700 but :effort:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

computers are never worth it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

it owns, friend, I recommend trying it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

it owns, friend, I recommend trying it

yospos hates technology

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

amd gpus are reasonably competitive unless you run linux

I got 6.5fps average playing Moonbase Alpha on a 5700 with the little robot , as apparently there is some issue with the drivers and the unreal engine they used

so that was not good

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

don't run standard ubuntu, use newer kernel and mesa (or another distro altogether). amd has good perf on linux, but with a 5700 you need a very recent kernel/mesa.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
protip: don't use amd graphics cards

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

here's a second freebie: don't use linux for anything that isn't headless, and definitely not for playing games

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

infernal machines posted:

don't playing games

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

infernal machines posted:

protip: don't use amd graphics cards

Wrong protip, the 5700 and 5700 XT are pretty excellent value.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i guess that depends on your use of the term value. if you want mid range performance for slightly less than the cost of an equivalent nvidia card, at the expense of power and thermals, with terrible drivers, then yes, it's an excellent value

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

amd has the best drivers on linux.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
why would a server need gpu drivers?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Management posted:

why would a server need gpu drivers?

compute workloads

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
an AMD video card gives you the priceless value of not having to sign in to GeForce experience

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

an AMD video card gives you the priceless value of not having to sign in to GeForce experience

the windows interface is still garbage though and native windows dx11 performance is sometimes worse than wine + dxvk

the best amd drivers and shader compilers aren't actually written by amd

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

i've used nothing but nvidia gpus forever and i've never installed the geforce experience

nevertheless i've had a good experience, with these geforces. u?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just got a 2060 and am finally playing doom 2016. it's good.

e: running the windows update-pushed drivers, so don't even have the settings panel, much less geforce experience.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 13, 2020

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
4th year with my RX 480 and honestly it's still fine and I'll only consider an upgrade when Cyberpunk comes out and only if it's actually good.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the only thing pushing me to upgrade my RX 480 is the fact that dolphins ubershaders don’t seem to run very well

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The_Franz posted:

the windows interface is still garbage though and native windows dx11 performance is sometimes worse than wine + dxvk

what kind of interface are we taking about here, like an api interface?

what other kind of interface would there be for a graphics driver???

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

what kind of interface are we taking about here, like an api interface?

what other kind of interface would there be for a graphics driver???

their blinged-out gamer control panel

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

The_Franz posted:

i like the idea of using kernel mode graphics drivers from some random dev, this sounds exciting

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

just got a 2060 and am finally playing doom 2016. it's good.

e: running the windows update-pushed drivers, so don't even have the settings panel, much less geforce experience.

same, i was surprised that that Just Worked when i did a fresh windows reinstall

also yep doom (2016) kicks rear end

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

i like the idea of using kernel mode graphics drivers from some random dev, this sounds exciting

random devs being the people valve paid to build it and people who've been working on mesa for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Broken Machine posted:

I also like the open source solution to this problem which is “if you’re worried then read through all the source code, ingest it, understand it and then get to a level with it where you can point out its flaws. Ticket Closed, not a problem”