Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I believe that you will find that Sam is nigh invulnerable while he's blastin'.

He's also very vulnerable when he's not blasting. His best friend ran away because of a soccer tackle that went wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

He's also immortal (sometimes) regardless of his blastin' status.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Early Rahne here is terrified of herself too.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Needs more gay subtext.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 6, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I hope the Sinister rumor is true. Giving him the keys to a mutant asylum is a great hook for a movie.

Regardless, this looks good. Everybody looks like normal people, opposed to the X-Men looking like movie stars.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Beerdeer posted:

Early Rahne here is terrified of herself too.

'Tis nae proper!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Well what I got from that preview was that it looks like at least some of it is going to revolve around Dani not having full control of her fear-based illusion powers, which seems horror movie as gently caress to me. Or did I interpret that all wrong?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I believe that you will find that Sam is nigh invulnerable while he's blastin'.

Also there was that time he was actually immortal.

Fun fact: because of Krakoan Resurrection, everyone is an External now!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I hope the Sinister rumor is true. Giving him the keys to a mutant asylum is a great hook for a movie.

Regardless, this looks good. Everybody looks like normal people, opposed to the X-Men looking like movie stars.

Roberto should have been black, or at least darker skinned.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm gonna reiterate my guess that Illyana is gonna show up in Dr. Strange and that's one reason they're releasing this.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Roberto should have been black, or at least darker skinned.

It irks me so much that so many portrayals of Roberto just ignore/forget that he's black. Like, a bunch of artists just draw him as a light skinned Hispanic guy (or in this case I guess cast him as one). It's important to his backstory that he's black Brazilian!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Android Blues posted:

It irks me so much that so many portrayals of Roberto just ignore/forget that he's black. Like, a bunch of artists just draw him as a light skinned Hispanic guy (or in this case I guess cast him as one). It's important to his backstory that he's black Brazilian!

That's something Ewing's Avengers books always (thankfully) got right. Though it's not surprising since his first Avengers book was almost entirely Black characters.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Android Blues posted:

They should have cast a black Brazilian guy sure, but the actor playing him is still Brazilian, not Hispanic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

It's very weird that they're marketing it as a horror movie, though. How the gently caress can you have a horror movie where your protagonists have superpowers? Part of what makes horror works is how powerless the protags are against the threat. Like, the people in The Grudge can't do poo poo against ghosts, but Magik has a magic sword and spells and stuff.

Dude. Like half the loving horror franchises in existence have a superpowered protagonist. Jason got his rear end kicked by a psychic and a sexy android.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gologle posted:

It's very weird that they're marketing it as a horror movie, though. How the gently caress can you have a horror movie where your protagonists have superpowers?
You could:
- Find a way so that their powers contribute to their sense of powerlessness or alienation. Twist it so they're told they are Oh So Very Sick and make the powers a liability.

- Go with the adolescence/puberty metaphor.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I was hoping the twist was that doctor was Ms. Sinister or something. And hoping it wouldn't be "oh what a scary mission. Thanks for the Danger Room time Professor X!" poo poo at the end.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

You could:
- Find a way so that their powers contribute to their sense of powerlessness or alienation. Twist it so they're told they are Oh So Very Sick and make the powers a liability.

- Go with the adolescence/puberty metaphor.

I was hoping the twist was that doctor was Ms. Sinister or something. And hoping it wouldn't be "oh what a scary mission. Thanks for the Danger Room time Professor X!" poo poo at the end.

I'm going to guess that all the horror stuff is a result of Dani's power, which they show they don't know what they are in the trailer. From the Marvel wiki: "Moonstar's mutant powers emerged at puberty, but she could not control her ability to create visible images of people's greatest fears. Manifesting the images at unexpected moments alienated her from everyone in her community, except for her parents".. I know you shouldn't spoiler tag speculation, but it seems pretty obvious if you know Dani Monnstar's powers.

Also, in Deadpool 2 the asylum that Rusty is in is a Mr Sinister reference. The name of the place is the "Essex House for Mutant Rehabilitation".
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/State_Home_for_Foundlings

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I'm very hype that Hickman has fully leaned on "Sure Sunspot is super strong but his real power is money"

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Beerdeer posted:

I'm very hype that Hickman has fully leaned on "Sure Sunspot is super strong but his real power is money"

Sunspot's opening monologue was incredible and he just continued to be amazing throughout and I thought for sure that nothing could match it... and then Illyana's counter to the boarding party was equally amazing. :allears: Honourable mentions: Chamber & Mondo, Deathbird's disdain, Karma's delight, the entire issue.

Hickman & Reis are a ridiculous pairing.

Dug Excalibur too. That was a really dramatic issue, but I enjoyed the disgruntled flirting & disgruntlement at not flirting with sexy druids in the quieter moments. Looking forward to seeing what's next, and glad that Remy was vindicated.

X-Force was good, paying off last issue nicely.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Magik did give them a choice.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

X-Force and New Mutants

they're good!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I skipped the Skottie Young Deadpool run-- does he still have his memory of the Duggan stuff erased? There's a scene between him and Captain America in today's issue and I wasn't sure to what extent their shared history was informing it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I always forget that classic New Mutants have some serious heavy hitters when they use their powers creatively. Magik and Karma could easily overthrow any government by themselves.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

I always forget that classic New Mutants have some serious heavy hitters when they use their powers creatively. Magik and Karma could easily overthrow any government by themselves.

Karma is such a cool character who has been so consistently and drastically misused, going all the way back to Claremont, it's so refreshing to see her just get to do cool things and exist as a normal team-member.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Archyduchess posted:

Karma is such a cool character who has been so consistently and drastically misused, going all the way back to Claremont, it's so refreshing to see her just get to do cool things and exist as a normal team-member.

Punch yourself, now say something nice to me, now punch yourself.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Excalibur continues to have the most amazing art. It's heavenly to look at. I can't tell if I like the story it's telling, though. Five issues in and it's... serviceable?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archyduchess posted:

Yeah. It's hard to walk away from 'the Shadow King possessed me and made me morbidly obese.' And it's not even as though nobody writes other characters with mind control, but for some reason Karma always gets the short end of the stick.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Karma's one of the team's most powerful members, so she usually ends up jobbed, like whenever Dr Strange is on a team. That said, good issue!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Archyduchess posted:

I skipped the Skottie Young Deadpool run-- does he still have his memory of the Duggan stuff erased? There's a scene between him and Captain America in today's issue and I wasn't sure to what extent their shared history was informing it.

As far as I know still erased yeah

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Between Sunspot respecting women and single mothers and Magik asking three aliens if they want to make out with her, that was a very good New Mutants issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

Between Sunspot respecting women and single mothers and Magik asking three aliens if they want to make out with her, that was a very good New Mutants issue.

Magik asking if they were human just to make sure if she was allowed to kill them was pretty awesome.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Saoshyant posted:

Excalibur continues to have the most amazing art. It's heavenly to look at. I can't tell if I like the story it's telling, though. Five issues in and it's... serviceable?

Yeah I'm really digging the series even though I'm not quite sure what's going on plot wise. It's gorgeous to look at and like I've said before it's a great team.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

rogue gonna have a bouncing baby sword

anyone got any comments about fallen angles? no? good.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm pretty sure literally everybody in this thread has dropped Fallen Angels, myself included, so it'll be hard to find an opinion here.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Synthbuttrange posted:

fallen angles

So that's what's wrong with the art.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Gologle posted:

It's very weird that they're marketing it as a horror movie, though. How the gently caress can you have a horror movie where your protagonists have superpowers? Part of what makes horror works is how powerless the protags are against the threat. Like, the people in The Grudge can't do poo poo against ghosts, but Magik has a magic sword and spells and stuff.

Characters having powers but being unable to just power their way through the horror scenario makes the horror more intense. It's why some horror movies throw in people who can fight, or people who are armed. Their being no less victimized than the unarmed non-fighters raises the stakes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Fallen Anglels is absolutely dunkable, but there was at least one pretty great Magneto moment in this latest issue.

"But you want justice. You want to be justice. The boy inside of me will always understand that."

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
I'm still reading Fallen Angels due to my apparent masochism. Even with the wildly inconsistent characterization of like, everyone but Magneto in the book (including Husk who ended up on the team this issue, along with Bling! who I have admittedly little experience with), the worst thing is the art, as demonstrated above.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I also enjoyed Husk's line, but yeah get this old bad X-men out of my good new X-men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Now that we've had an issue about how cool Gorgon is, let's have an issue about Alexander coming back and killing the poo poo out of Gorgon to get his sword.