Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

People who care about how other people play their video games have brain worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Today I found out that I have borderline high cholesterol and I’m now horribly freaked out.
You're fine. You probably just need to fix your diet a little and maybe do some yoga or cardio to improve your metabolism.

Don't do anything drastic. Don't do anything that stresses you out more. The key to improving healthfulness is to change your life in the ways you can readily embrace. And then keep changing.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

So... My voyage through most of the Metal Gear Solid (not Metal Gear, so no MG1, MG2 etc.) series has pretty much come to an end, for now. I didn't replay MGS/Twin Snakes because I honestly really don't need to, and none of the portable games apart from Peace Walker (which I'll get to), but since October I played/replayed:

MGS 2
- Played this one through way back when it was released, and I think played it with a friend some years later. In any case it must've been 15 years since I'd played it last (jesus christ). Holds up pretty well, the gameplay takes a huge next-gen leap on the groundwork laid in MGS1 and is overall very solid and playable (unlike MGS1 nowadays). However - it was much shorter than I remembered and I'd say the bosses are really not the best the series has to offer (also, I was extremely puzzled by the Fortune fight being so short). The tanker mission is the best part of the game, honestly - short, sweet, atmospheric.

MGS 3
- Played parts of this one with a friend soon after it was released, also nearly fifteen-ish years ago (omfg). Felt really different this time around, but then again we would've been playing the original version of this game instead of the HD remaster's Subsistence version with the 3rd person camera and poo poo. Holds up astoundingly well. Everything about this game just works, you can play it in so many ways, it's full of stuff to find, details and surprises. Story is goofy as hell and the characters are over the top, but they make for some incredibly memorable boss fights, some of which are easily the best in the entire series, The End in particular. I'd forgotten just how loving good this game is. No wonder people hold it in such high regard still.

MGS 4
- Also played this with a friend when it came out over ten years ago (HOW HAS IT ALREADY BEEN OVER TEN YEARS??). Ha, back then we marathoned the entire game in one sitting, and my friend just straight-up passed out during the final cutscene. Anyway, MGS4 has some problems which I'm sure anyone who's played it knows. Gameplaywise it's genuinely fantastic. The movement, gear options, different routes and ways to tackle areas make the game feel flexible and organic, even now. Just a ton of ways to tackle the different challenges. Mostly excellent bosses with a lot of variety, I especially liked the fights with Octopus, Raven and Wolf (although Wolf glitched for me and I spent literally 20 mins waiting for her to show up again and she'd of course gotten herself stuck in a tree). The biggest problem with the game is... There just isn't much of it. The Afghanistan part of the game could easily be double the length to let the player really sink their teeth into the gameplay, especially because from the third act on you really don't play the game normally anymore. Act 3 is the shadowing mission which I don't particularly like, act 4 is the trip to Shadow Moses which is very different from the normal gameplay and then you're already in act 5 where you have like 5 minutes of normal gameplay before Kojima takes the greatest wank of his entire life.

MGS: Peace Walker
- This one I never played because I never had a PSP. Maybe it didn't help that I'd literally just played MGS4 and/or I played it on my PS3 and not a portable console, but a lot about this game just didn't click at all for me. The basic gameplay is fine as a simplified version of 3/4, most of the missions being bitesized in length and varied in objectives was cool, and the base-building stuff was in theory pretty fun, but there are a lot of Issues, with a capital I. Number one: loving terrible bosses. Most of the bosses in this game just aren't fun or interesting at all. I did like Cocoon and ZEKE, but the rest of the AI weapons are ho-hum and the loving armored vehicles are the bane of my existence. How did this series go for the excellent bosses in 3 and 4 to these boring rear end identical garbage bosses? And there's like 20 of them in the extra ops. Who the hell has the time and interest to play through all of them, especially since some of them are insanely difficult? Number two: GRINDING. The base-building and R&D stuff is, like I said, a decent concept, but holy poo poo does the game get stupidly grindy, especially as soon as you're done with the mainest of the main story (chapter 4). Then the game just plunges into the depths of grinding repetitive missions and dying to armored vehicles and ultra hard versions of its already bad bosses because you need a rank 5 rocket launcher and lol you only have rank 3 ones and it takes five eternities to unlock better ones and/or get enough R&D people to be able to research them in the first place. I'd say this game was on the whole alright, but the endgame content is just awful and sort of made me hate it.

MGSV: Ground Zeroes
- Yo. YO! This rocks! It's astounding that this game is on PS3 and runs as well as it does looking like it does. The Fox Engine is pretty good, huh? A technical marvel on last-gen for sure, although I'm sure it was nothing that special on current gen consoles. But god drat, do I like this one. Sure, it's short, but it's just prologue (also - a friend borrowed it to me, so I didn't pay for it which I believe was an issue for a lot of people). But the gameplay. Man, I love it. Controlling Snake is pitch-perfect in my opinion, you have so many options in just the way you move forwards. Snake feels like an expert agent like he never did before in this series. The game "world" is on the smallish side, certainly, but there's still enough ways and routes to tackle the objectives that I've now played through the main mission three times in three completely different ways and finished the side ops too, some of them twice, and I feel like I could still play more of it. I understand MGSV takes this concept and loving runs with it with giant maps and just a ton of gear and companions to pick and choose from to suit exactly how you want to play, which makes me really want to play Phantom Pain now, too bad I don't have a current-gen console. The only less exciting part is that the story is shockingly grounded for a Hideo Kojima one. I guess MGSV has more weird/goofy poo poo, though?

It's been quite the ride.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 8, 2020

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
cheating in life is also good

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

NienNunb posted:

People who care about how other people play their video games have brain worms.

it may not interest you, but this is quite a harsh thing to say. spikegal is a fine person without worms.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Cheating on your partners - not good. Don't stay with them if you don't want, but be honest. Break up with them, get with the person you want to get with.

My dad cheated on my mom and it may be the single event with the biggest impact on my life for the negative. gently caress partner cheaters.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i’m more talking about lying on your resume or stealing cable

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
my parents cheated on each other with each other. even after ten years of marriage, my mother's clit/brown/taint area still powned my father's dick

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

dont say this anywhere else in case it gets back to them that i ratted. but my dad cheated on his wife with my mom off and on. i believe it stopped but i don't know for sure. i was straight up told the information due to it eating away at my mother who cannot keep any secrets and gossips about everyone and everything including herself it seems

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

oh no now i'm doing it

btw this was after my parents' divorce. i am not technically a bastard, but became one through hard work

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cavauro posted:

it may not interest you, but this is quite a harsh thing to say. spikegal is a fine person without worms.

Oh no, I'm sorry I didn't mean you Spikegal at all. I'm talking about weirdos on twitter who write essays about how unacceptable they think it is to cheat at Sekiro. I apologize for any gaming related confusion i might have caused.

Rip Cavauro

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sorry. i've made a big misunderstanding and it was on purpose to finally send you to prison. But now i'm going to prison

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't give a gently caress how people play their games as long as it's not on multiplayer.

Gatekeeping in all its forms is bullshit.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
i cheat at sekiro by making everything kill me in one hit, because frankly, the game was too easy without it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm in jail and dead. every single time I submit reply, i'm getting whooped.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
cheating at multiplayer games and generally being a nuisance is cool

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

people can spawn in obvious bad items that are flagged as hacked in the dark souls games and then drop them for you to pick up and get your account suspended/banned from being able to play normally. i think when you ruin someone's experience for the relative long-term that really stinks. But if you are doing a funny cheat to make someone go "what the hell!" in a game and it pretty much ends there, then that's pretty funny

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
i'll just say this. if you to go AGDQ and say you're "speedrunning" "The Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth," but you're actually running a version that mods the game to give you two active item slots, the D6, and a game carrying item right from the start, and instead of instantly dying, you get a 45 second timeout, you aren't actually speedrunning The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. and i will complain about this until i am banned from Twitch chat

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i bought isaac for the switch even though it's a pc game and i guess there is more new content coming that won't come out for the switch. But it's not a bad way to play and i like to sit on the toelet with it, and sometimes end up sitting there for a while long after i am finished on the toelet. i'll stop hollering at people who recommend pc games to me for the switch. I'm sorry if i ever hurt anyone by doing it that one time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Captain Magic posted:

If you’re struggling with cholesterol and weight I heartily recommend The Obesity Code by Fung. I’ve lost fifteen pounds since September and kept it off.

It’s about insulin. Insulin makes you gain weight! Science y’all. So it talks about what raises insulin levels, insulin resistance (which directly contributes to the ability of our bodies to “set” a body weight, like you would set a thermometer), and how to lower insulin levels and insulin resistance.

It recommends fasting regularly, cutting out all added sugars, moderating protein intake, and eating diets high in healthy fats.

This is keto. Which I am not saying is a bad thing, since I've been on it for most of the past six months (I said "gently caress it" for my Christmas vacation and Thanksgiving weekend) and am down over 70 lbs., my blood pressure has dropped to normal, and my cholesterol couldn't be better. I have no intention of changing how I eat in the future, since this works and I'm happy eating like this.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

DEADDACK is the code to unlock all the levels in Rogue Squadron for N64. I used it a lot because I was bad at tying up AT-ATs.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Endless Mike posted:

This is keto. Which I am not saying is a bad thing, since I've been on it for most of the past six months (I said "gently caress it" for my Christmas vacation and Thanksgiving weekend) and am down over 70 lbs., my blood pressure has dropped to normal, and my cholesterol couldn't be better. I have no intention of changing how I eat in the future, since this works and I'm happy eating like this.

Right, it basically recommends a keto diet, except the emphasis is more on fasting than anything else.

Something like a keto diet is good but only part of the puzzle. Fasting is important because our bodies need to fast to control our fat content; otherwise they just adjust to lower calories with typical lovely results (you stop losing as much so you eat even less, and/or you feel colder and tired and miserable and “rebound” by eating more than you did before, and gain all the weight back plus some more).

I liked it because it’s a well-written book by a kidney doctor who only uses human studies as examples. There’s also a lot of explanation of why our understanding of dietary fat as the “enemy” is flawed, including misrepresentations of the experiment that created that perception.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 8, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gumball Gumption posted:

I forget where exactly he said it but Cavill talked about trying to do a bunch of different voices for Geralt before realizing that the games got it right and he ended up just doing his best Doug Cockle impression.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Cavill's hmmms are very good as well.

:hmmyes:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Drew McIntyre posted:

i'll just say this. if you to go AGDQ and say you're "speedrunning" "The Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth," but you're actually running a version that mods the game to give you two active item slots, the D6, and a game carrying item right from the start, and instead of instantly dying, you get a 45 second timeout, you aren't actually speedrunning The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. and i will complain about this until i am banned from Twitch chat

here here

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Drew McIntyre posted:

lol what the gently caress

why even bother

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jesus WEP posted:

my twitter name is a different but equally dorky computer pun
I loving love your name here. I still laugh when I see it sometimes.

Spikegal posted:

Cheating on your partners - not good. Don't stay with them if you don't want, but be honest. Break up with them, get with the person you want to get with.

My dad cheated on my mom and it may be the single event with the biggest impact on my life for the negative. gently caress partner cheaters.
I mean, polyamory is right there. gently caress cheating.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

extradite THIS! posted:

I understand MGSV takes this concept and loving runs with it with giant maps and just a ton of gear and companions to pick and choose from to suit exactly how you want to play, which makes me really want to play Phantom Pain now,

The giant maps actually suck real hard. It's mainly a few sparse areas (themselves NOWHERE near the density of the Ground Zeroes map) connected by hallways of open areas with very little of note. Most of what you get to do in the game is repeated non-stop. All the issues you had with Peacewalker? Present.

extradite THIS! posted:

The only less exciting part is that the story is shockingly grounded for a Hideo Kojima one. I guess MGSV has more weird/goofy poo poo, though?

Nothing in Phantom Pain is a quarter as weird/goofy as the side-missions in Ground Zeroes where you rescue Kojima or play as Raiden.

God Phantom Pain was such a disappointment after Ground Zeroes.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Drew McIntyre posted:

I'm doing a speedrun of this game with a modded version where I start on the victory screen. Current record: 0 seconds.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Im trying to learn shovel knight speedrunning, it owns

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

imo cheating happens in multiplayer, or before an audience

but by yourself, game however you feel comfortable

signed, someone who discovered the Oblivion TARDIS mod and now refuses to play without it

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I liked Metal Gear Solid V because it felt like a pretty accurate representation of one guy rolling the entire soviet army. Also super ninjas.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
mgsv is good up until the end, and then it tries to become a microtransaction faux multiplayer game where you grind (pay) for materials to make guns that you don't really need anymore because you're Big Boss and you can kill anyone with your bare hands

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also Punished Venom Snake doesn't kill people, he knocks them out and balloons them to his base so he can sneak around choking them out and they thank him for it.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Im trying to learn shovel knight speedrunning, it owns

Shovel Knight is my favorite game in the world right now, Goon Luck

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Thinkin bout getting a new av but idk what

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Biggest gaming secret?

I can still do the Heigan dance on my keyboard by reflex.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

NienNunb posted:

Beta Bard I think it was you who recommended to me like two months ago that I read Exhalation by Ted Chiang, well the library just got it in for me and I'm gonna dig into it today

I finished it last week. it was terrific. I think my favorite one was still the first one, “The Merchant and the Alchemist’s Gate.” “The Truth of Fact, The Truth of Feeling” is also terrific. right now I’m reading The Great Pretender by Susannah Cahalan, and it’s a great nonfiction that reads incredibly well and quickly. I’m enjoying it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Junpei Hyde posted:

Thinkin bout getting a new av but idk what

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think I can do outright keto, it's too restrictive. Not eating bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, or sugar is one thing, but having to say "sorry, I can't have carrots tonight" is too much for me.

That said, I am doing the following:

- Cut out all sugars
- Heavily reduce if not eliminate bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes
- Time restricted feeding (only eat between 12pm-8pm)

So hopefully that will be enough to get me back down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

andey...