Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sperglord posted:

I'm curious, what makes them impressive?

They're loving huge, remarkably agile for their size, versatile, and effective.

Considering how big, complex, and expensive they are, you might be forgiven to think that they ought to be a boondoggle, but they're pretty good at a lot of roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Things just got a little more interesting - let's hope this was an actual accident and 100% unrelated to any other events tonight.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1214754644561399808

To further add to things apparently Iran got struck with an earthquake as well.

Welcome to page 1983, the year Petrov saved us from World War 3.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Cooked Auto posted:

To further add to things apparently Iran got struck with an earthquake as well.

America's firing up the earthquake machine again!? :tinfoil:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Shooting Blanks posted:

America's firing up the earthquake machine again!? :tinfoil:

Gave it a test run on Puerto Rico

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

mlmp08 posted:

Joanna Piacenza (@jpiacenza) Tweeted:
Respondents were first given a larger, global map.

23% were able to correctly identify Iran. https://t.co/XhP5OU9s2n https://t.co/HVsWpf9ujt https://twitter.com/jpiacenza/status/1214897511414013954?s=20

Well, Iran so far away.. Iran all night and day

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

priznat posted:

Well, Iran so far away.. Iran all night and day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rESC64X02y8

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I think I can make a good first post, so if people could msg me:

• effortposts they remember
  • Curtis LeMay quotes
  • times cyrano said "I don't care if trump and putin are giving each other reach arounds on tv, keep that poo poo out of this thread"

I think I can make it good

Also, if you want to rehost the images in iyaayas01's first post, that'd be good as fuckin' photobucket is a curse

brains
May 12, 2004

JcDent posted:

I have potentially definitely defiantly dumb question:

Like, LO planes aren't invisible, right? They just have very small radar cross-sections that radars filter out because you don't plan on tracking bugs and swallows. But can't you make them not to filter out bugs and swallows that move at certain speed/altitudes? Or am I misunderstanding how radar works in some fundamental way? It has to be that, I'm sure.

Keep in mind that "stealth" in itself is a nebulous term that is easily confused for broad band, all spectrum LO, which doesn't accurately describe any stealth platform, and for having no returns, which is untrue of everything. Aircraft are meticulously tuned to return minimal signatures in very specific radar frequencies, and even against specific equipment*, such as searching and tracking radars. If you can tune the return down below what the system you're trying to defeat will detect or dismiss, your aircraft is now LO. Again, remember the objective is to minimize detection to give the least warning, not to be invisible; so if your return is detectable, but only at 10% of the full range of the radar, it's still LO. Then you get into aspect-dependent LO, like optimizing your platform for head-on returns since it's a strike aircraft, but trading for larger all-aspect returns from other angles, etc.

This is also why you occasionally see those hyped-up news reports saying, "this one Russian radar pierces the F-22's perfect stealth!," when what they're talking about are extremely low resolution over the horizon radars that can basically only tell the operator that something is out there. LO aircraft aren't tuned for those radar freqs because it can't be used for targeting anyways.

*SIGINT is invaluable- capture a snapshot of an enemy air defense battery when fully radiating and now you have an exact signature to defeat. Or straight up espionage by stealing a radar system- right out of the Cold War playbook. It works both ways, too: see why selling F-35s to Turkey when they were buying S-400s was verboten- it basically would hand a perfect signature of an F-35 from a S-400 radar to Russia. These signatures are very classified for a reason.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

CarForumPoster posted:

Most radar specs will include a constant false alarm rate or CFAR. The obvious method of meeting this requirement is to attenuate your signal returns until you fall below the threshold. A potential way to do this is described here.

This is why you may not see a plane with a smaller radar return and the way "STC" works (i.e. by attenuating signals at a certain range gate and angle) is why you might see one "pop up" on your radar.
This is why jamming works.

OK, hear me out:
I still don't get it why you can't just set STC to stop ignoring stuff at F-22ft in the air

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

JcDent posted:

OK, hear me out:
I still don't get it why you can't just set STC to stop ignoring stuff at F-22ft in the air

1. The F-22 can fly down where birds are.

2. Just because there aren’t real birds at FL400 doesn’t mean the noise floor there is zero. The RADAR set will get phantom returns that need to be ignored one way or another (in electronics or by human attention).

brains
May 12, 2004

JcDent posted:

OK, hear me out:

the radar operator can increase or decrease the threshold for clutter but will have to deal with a level of clutter that will end up obscuring actual tracks. radars "see" everything in direct line of sight from the transmitter/reciever, plus some extra factors that add even more noise; it's up to the software and/or operator to filter the noise in order to keep the radar usable, and LO exploits that.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

glynnenstein posted:

I've seen early analysis that these are probably Fateh-110 missiles, but we should all doubt everything for now.

e: That particular missile is believed to be a multi-generational development with ancestry back to the Soviet era Luna-M missile, which is cold war as gently caress.

Replying to my post to correct this - photos seem conclusive that the missiles, at least some of them, were Qiam-1. Contrary to the Fateh-110, the Qiam-1 is a liquid fueled scud derivative with longer range, bigger payload, and is considered nuclear-capable. I'm going to make a point to link to the place to discuss and speculate further on political/strategic elements of that information so we don't get side-tracked here.

I am curious if there is any more open source technical information about the accuracy of the guidance improvements that are implied by the modifications evident vs its ancestor models. Probably only just now going to get non-classified info along those lines, though.

edit: I'm not qualified to analyze how accurate this is based on what the specific stuff hit vs not hit was, but that doesn't seem like a bad spread:

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 8, 2020

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Interrupting War With Eurasia chat to crosspost from the AI aviation thread, because I guess it's cold war relevant

Phy posted:

So it turns out somebody did save blueprints to the Avro Arrow.

For maximum irony, they're on display at the University of Saskatchewan's Diefenbaker Canada Centre.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

JcDent posted:

OK, hear me out:

As the poster above said, what is that in feet? Tree top to 50+k? The entire airspace above and/or below the radar?

Heres a table explaining some tradeoffs though. This is from Skolnik's intro to radar, perhaps the most respected textbook on the subject.

"MTI" is moving target indicating and PD is Pulse Doppler. PRF is Pulse Rate Frequency

If you get into radar at all you'll quickly realize that all media coverage of LO airplanes and radar performance is a useless joke and that there's way too many factors to give a truly useful translation from what they say to operational estimations of performance in a scenario. Radar is one of those things where there's many factors all working together. I'm also lumping tracking and software based clutter suppression in with radar here which is arguably where a lot of the big innovations in the space are coming from rather than hardware changes.

(e.g. who cares if the S300 uses the same antenna and power sources if its digital conversion and associated radar computers get major upgrades.)

Here is a great video primer on radar systems targeted toward technical people without EE degrees: https://www.ll.mit.edu/outreach/introduction-radar-systems

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 8, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Phy posted:

Interrupting War With Eurasia chat to crosspost from the AI aviation thread, because I guess it's cold war relevant

A new contender for the CF-18 replacement has appeared!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

brains posted:

LO aircraft aren't tuned for those radar freqs because it can't be used for targeting anyways.

And also because physics. Low-frequency = big wavelengths.

Platystemon posted:

1. The F-22 can fly down where birds are.

It cannot, however, fly as slowly as a bird.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Cat Mattress posted:

It cannot, however, fly as slowly as a bird.

This is only because LockMart failed to sell the STOVL version.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Warbadger posted:

Well, first of all you aren't going to get a RADAR with as much power or antenna realestate as an AWACS platform into the F-14. Can't exactly fly racetrack patterns behind everything while maintaining coverage with a forward looking RADAR, either.

More importantly you aren't going to fit the crew who makes use of the data the RADAR is collecting into the F-14.

If it's all you've got it's better than nothing, but I wouldn't consider it an AWACS alternative.

Yeah, but this was their actual AWACS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_oWmxUCFuU

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

JcDent posted:

OK, hear me out:

At a certain point, "stuff at F-22ft in the air" includes electrons jiggling around in the sensor electronics that look like stuff at F-22ft in the air. From a detection and tracking standpoint, the universe is filled with tiny flecks of noise flying around and looking like small signal targets.

Imagine being in Boston trying to pick up an FM radio station in Mongolia. You can turn up the volume as high as you want, but all you're going to get is louder static.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

When building a radio that can hear a radio station in Mongolia, at what point does it become cheaper to fly to Mongolia and build a radio station with a horn pointing straight at your receiver than continue improving your receiver?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arglebargle III posted:

When building a radio that can hear a radio station in Mongolia, at what point does it become cheaper to fly to Mongolia and build a radio station with a horn pointing straight at your receiver than continue improving your receiver?

Rather depends on your feelings toward Airag, I’d say?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

OK, hear me out:

you definitely can, with most radars at least. The problem is you don't know what that value is going to be, and a lot of the time something with that level of fidelity requires the software modification, it can't be set in real time by the operator. in addition, doing so essentially cripples your ability to detect normal things within that altitude band.

the counter solution to this a lot of the time is to develop a sensor that detects the hole in the sky in which there is no return, which is where the LO aircraft is operating at. this discussion however can easily go classified and in any case is well outside of my expertise so I will stop there.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

bewbies posted:

the counter solution to this a lot of the time is to develop a sensor that detects the hole in the sky in which there is no return, which is where the LO aircraft is operating at. this discussion however can easily go classified and in any case is well outside of my expertise so I will stop there.

As I understand it, this is more or less the current state of submarine tracking.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

This is all completely hypothetical but EW has probably progressed to the point of hitting enemy electronics with loving code injection broadcasts. :tinfoil:

The sensor war is rapidly approaching magic/more magic levels of understanding to the layman.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Smiling Jack posted:

This is all completely hypothetical but EW has probably progressed to the point of hitting enemy electronics with loving code injection broadcasts. :tinfoil:

The sensor war is rapidly approaching magic/more magic levels of understanding to the layman.

Flares will be replaced with Hedwigs flying out to take the code kill shots. :devil:

Alternatively, when do I get to sign up for TRON-force?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

A new contender for the CF-18 replacement has appeared!

A newly elected MP, a law school prof from the University of Toronto who's an expert in corporate governance and shareholder rights, has been cabinetified for the job of buying military and coast guard poo poo for the Government

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Correct me if I’m wrong but I recall that during the Islamic revolution there were a number of f14s that Iran either owned or had paid for that we obviously did not return to them. I can’t quite find the search terms to verify this though.

E: thank you all!

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 9, 2020

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

The Iron Rose posted:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I recall that during the Islamic revolution there were a number of f14s that Iran either owned or had paid for that we obviously did not return to them. I can’t quite find the search terms to verify this though.

80 delivered.

Edit: yeah I can't find poo poo about cancelled or embargoed aircraft.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 9, 2020

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

We're never delivered the later shipments of parts and planes yeah. Not sure of we ever sent back their money or not. Knowing how petty we can be we probably told them to get stuffed

Edit: Apparently their homegrown f5 variant uses technology from the f14 they've learned to create for themselves

Stravag fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 9, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Dunno about F14s but there was a lot of military hardware that the Shah had written a check for that we yoinked. Like the mini-class (only 4 I think?) of Kidd-class destroyers. They'd been basically built (I think were in final fitting?) when the revolution occurred and ended up commissioned into the USN when they coudn't be delivered to Iran for obvious reasons.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Smiling Jack posted:

80 delivered.

Edit: yeah I can't find poo poo about cancelled or embargoed aircraft.

80 ordered, 79 delivered. One, 170378, got left behind and was used as a testbed by USN. Also, I think that like a third of Phoenixes got delivered, some 250 of 800 ordered.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Smiling Jack posted:

Exhibit A: A man glitching and injecting 131 bytes of SNES machine code turning Super Mario Bros into Flappy Bird, via manual hardware controller inputs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB6eY73sLV0

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

A pretty good actual answer is when external noise sources (the RF from other stations of the same frequency, the echoes of the big bang, whatever) are stronger than the signal you want. You can buy off receiver noise; you can't do much about external noise.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

Straight up bricking a GPS receiver by broadcasting a cleverly broken signal is well within the realm of the possible, by civilians with cheap COTS equipment.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

How long before the F-35 is bricked by hostile radar projections that interfere with its systems?

Edit: not that I expect anyone who knows to actually answer, please don't sword missile me Trump I'm just a bored nerd, not a spy.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Zero days, as they say. :dadjoke:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Carth Dookie posted:

How long before the F-35 is bricked by hostile radar projections that interfere with its systems?

Edit: not that I expect anyone who knows to actually answer, please don't sword missile me Trump I'm just a bored nerd, not a spy.

That's just what a spy would say.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

MRC48B posted:

Zero days, as they say. :dadjoke:

nice

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Assuming an average flyaway cost of $115M for these 35As, it's a little under 6 billion worth of airplanes on that runway.

On a unit-cost basis, this picture still wins

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
BAH GAWD, THAT'S DAHIR INSAAT'S MUSIC!