Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also to be fair, I missed initially that they were 99 cents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Started TAZ a couple of weeks ago and just now finished Balance and holy poo poo.

My favorite line from the finale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkZQlVefscY

Wish there were more animatics of it.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 9, 2020

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This is a real bummer, college humor has a lot of quality shows.

I was really hoping WTF 101 would get a second season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aZVgyUlSng

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Just finished the first episode of Tiny Heist.

No surprise here but Justin obviously has the best character again

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I just listened to the new episode and the whole year theme discussion was one of the most bizarre experiences of my life, it took me ten minutes to realise that they were hearing "twenty" as "twunny" not "twenny" and even after I worked that out intellectually my brain just couldn't process it and I couldn't hear a vowel sound other than "e".

So to me the entire time it was a conversation of people declaring stuff that clearly, obviously rhymes to be bad slant rhymes and stuff that clearly doesn't rhyme to be perfectly good rhymes. Brain language processing is hosed up.

Did it really sound fine to everyone else? I gather it did since only one person in this thread has made any sort of comment about them pronouncing stuff weird. Except in my case their pronunciation sounded normal to me, they just then kept claiming stuff rhymed with it that didn't.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah, when Griffin (I think?) was complaining about some bad slant rhyme I was legit confused. Definitely an interesting look into how the same sounds can hit ears very differently.

Edit: like, are they making the claim that "funny" rhymes with "twenty"? I can't hear that no matter how I pronounce either word.

Trapick fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 9, 2020

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I guess it totally passed me by that Travis' second kid was born two days ago.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Christ twunty honey makes so much more sense now. Twenty crew checking in

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

timp posted:

Just finished the first episode of Tiny Heist.

No surprise here but Justin obviously has the best character again

Lily Du's character is a close second, but yeah Justin nails it once more. Even in a campaign full of creative ideas, he pulls ahead.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
The weirdest for me is how they always pronounce it "toor"

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
weird energy in this taz I gotta say

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Travis needs to implement cleave rules if he's to going have 12 enemies at once, that's one thing that immediately made NADDPOD better with large encounters.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Eagerly awaiting the reactions of people googling what a mukbang is

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Farg posted:

weird energy in this taz I gotta say

It has the energy of everyone (including the DM) going “uhhhhh..... where were we?”

I wonder if Travis will reform the whole hero/villain narrative since it’s odd to have supposedly a whole side team doing... something?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yeah there were 3 npcs there the whole time I guess?

Also trav should definitely take some cues from NADDPOD because that's a 3-player fast and loose 5e podcast that makes combats exciting and that magmin thing was woof

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
I found it funny that the hosts of a D&D podcast couldn’t see any relevance to TwentyTwice: Roll the Dice

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Farg posted:

yeah there were 3 npcs there the whole time I guess?

Also trav should definitely take some cues from NADDPOD because that's a 3-player fast and loose 5e podcast that makes combats exciting and that magmin thing was woof

i will say that Travis wisely decided "gently caress this" after only one round

hitting the eject button was smart

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
The latest TAZ episode was....not good oof

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's a reason most modern tabletop games have rules for fighting a mob of enemies as if they're a single entity and doing "damage" to the enemy is represented by taking people out of the mob.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ideally they would just have single digit health pools that let you use Cleave rules to swing through one and damage another. Travis realizing that 1: the encounter was going to suck for everyone except 2: Justin, who was about to smoke everything in 2 turns so he just noped out is indicative of pretty crappy encounter design. You see in a lot of NADDPOD encounters that their DM will have chaff characters but always some beefier mid-tier guys who need somebody to go one-on-one with them. Their party should be pretty good once they all fall into their respective roles, but right now it is the J-Train unless Travis gets creative

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Should I skip this one?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah is the whole episode just a fight?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Colonel Whitey posted:

No the fight ends extremely abruptly after Travis realizes how bad of an idea it was but it still takes up too much time and the rest of the episode still has a kind of meandering lost quality to it

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
That’s okay, I give Travis some leeway for DM growing pains. He’ll figure it out

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.themcelroy.family/2020/1/9/21057558/tiny-heist-announcement

quote:

By now, you’ve probably heard about the incredibly miserable situation at CollegeHumor. If not, here’s a link. The short version is that a bunch of very cool people lost their jobs and it’s heartbreaking for them and the hundreds of thousands of people who love what they do. We’ve been working with CollegeHumor since 2017 when the staggeringly talented Drawfee team made the questionable decision of helping us breathe life into “HELL-O Baby” and “Cramu: A Gullet Grabbers Game.”

The timing of this catastrophe is especially weird for us, since today marks the launch of “Tiny Heist,” a mini-series we filmed in May with CollegeHumor’s Dimension 20 team. We were blown away by our fellow performers and a team of cinematographers, editors, make-up artists and so many others that bent over backwards to make us feel welcome. The fact that the vast majority of those kind, talented people are out of work today kind of defies comprehension.

The product of their love and labor goes live today, and frankly we don’t know what to say about it. You know too well by now that the launch of something we really care about is always paired by a lot of excitement and self-promotion from the McElroy camp. But at a moment when a bunch of real people have been thrown into real crisis, that kind of shilling seems more than a little crass.

So here’s the deal. Tiny Heist is out today, it’s a story of small people pulling off a big heist. You won’t believe how loving funny and talented our DM, Brennan Lee Mulligan, and fellow players Lily Du and Jess Ross are. It looks and sounds so incredible that you can’t help but feel the passion of the artists and technicians creating it. It’s on the Dropout service, so by watching you’ll be supporting the skeleton crew of people left behind at CollegeHumor who are still trying to make cool stuff in the face of overwhelming odds.

We are excruciatingly aware of the fact that this is about as downtempo as “Please watch our thing!” posts get, but in the light of what’s happened to a lot of good friends, it’s about the best we can muster. We hope you’ll watch Tiny Heist, but more so hope that the fantastic people behind it land on their feet.

-Justin McElroy

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Colonel Whitey posted:

Nope! Just part of the episode. Then you get to hear three adults struggle with a word puzzle :haw:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

maybe it's because I'm a dork who likes the mechanics parts of rpgs, but I didn't find the fight that boring??? or find listening to combat in general boring.

I'm still slightly mad about Griffin's subclass being OP but Travis obviously doesn't give a poo poo about balance and who cares as long as they're having fun? (it's me, I care. but I'm trying not to)

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

thecluckmeme posted:

Nope! Just part of the episode. Then you get to hear three adults struggle with a word puzzle :haw:

To be fair, three adults struggling with a word puzzle was one of my favorite goofs in Eleventh hour.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Also the fight is over by the 13 minute mark of a 70 minute episode, I'm at the ad break so far and it's been fine

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Finished the TAZ ep. My first thought was "oh poo poo, Leon's gonna get whacked by someone who thinks he knows too much" but I don't think Travis would murder a loveable NPC like that this early... or would he????

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Organza Quiz posted:

I just listened to the new episode and the whole year theme discussion was one of the most bizarre experiences of my life, it took me ten minutes to realise that they were hearing "twenty" as "twunny" not "twenny" and even after I worked that out intellectually my brain just couldn't process it and I couldn't hear a vowel sound other than "e".

So to me the entire time it was a conversation of people declaring stuff that clearly, obviously rhymes to be bad slant rhymes and stuff that clearly doesn't rhyme to be perfectly good rhymes. Brain language processing is hosed up.

Did it really sound fine to everyone else? I gather it did since only one person in this thread has made any sort of comment about them pronouncing stuff weird. Except in my case their pronunciation sounded normal to me, they just then kept claiming stuff rhymed with it that didn't.

It was absolutely maddening. I still don't really understand what happened. It was totally alien to me. (I'm English with a London accent, if that means anything)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Conversely, the twunny thing sounded totally natural to me. Linguistics is fun!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

man just wait until you hear about Squirrel Girl

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Alaois posted:

oh my god that's meant to rhyme

edit: this is like when i did a linguistics class and the tutor told us the people from my city can't pronounce the sound "el" like in the name Ellen. we just pronounce it as "al," so it sounds the same as Alan. I spent a week trying to get my throat to form the sound properly and I can do it now but it takes effort.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 10, 2020

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Alaois posted:

Squirl Girl or Squirrel Girrel?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

One thing that really struck me about this TAZ was how, after the initial fight, it took them a bizarrely long time to get anything done. There were multiple times during the episode where I was like, “why is nobody attempting to make any progress?” It was particularly noticeable near the end where they had the Xorn calmed down, it was cooperating with them and doing whatever they asked of it, and it still took them like 15 minutes to get the picture of it with the paper. I’ll chalk it up to rustiness after a month off.

Stroop There It Is posted:

maybe it's because I'm a dork who likes the mechanics parts of rpgs, but I didn't find the fight that boring??? or find listening to combat in general boring.

Same, but I’m glad he put an end to it after one round.

Some Strange Flea posted:

Squirl Girl or Squirrel Girrel?

https://youtu.be/0FRD4uq1mVw

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

thecluckmeme posted:

The three adults struggling with the word puzzle was hilarious though. In fact, the Mcelroy family being remarkably bad at puzzles is one of my favorite running jokes in TAZ.

Was also pleasantly surprised to see Clint be the one to figure out the answer, that fit in well with the emerging characterization of Argo being the smart one of the group.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
My listener guess was „bottle wine” :(

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Alaois posted:

Or the Disney classic Dog with a Blog.

e: almost every suggestion they threw out made sense, but I agreed with Justin that they needed to nix the hard T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfIWX5vGTEk